• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm idk i feel like besides the sanji stuff(for obvious reasons) this arc is one of the better paced arcs. We've been here for what? 5 chapters, we've met almost all the important minks,learned how nami and co escaped big mom's ship,saw the conflict that arose on zou. Moving pretty fast to me.

Ps. Anybody else like completely impressed with the minks? These guys are beast's.

Yeah I am kinda reminded of how badass Wiper was in Skypea

Yeah, I guess it's just my impatience with how long Dresrossa was and wanting to know what was going on with the Curly Hats the whole time. The Sanji thing is brutal lol

But otherwise the Minks and everything about this arc is awesome. I always liked how the fishmen/merfolk were all based on real fish so it's pretty awesome to see a mammal version.

Yea i mean when u look at the minks so far this arc they are very impressive. I kind of want shit to go sour so i can see their top dogs(hehehe) fight against the strawhats

Well we might be heading in that direction with this Samurai secret. I'm assuming the minks didn't know Momo was one of the samurai and perhaps they'll be pissed when they realized the attack might have been avoided if they handed him over.

But I doubt they would have, they seem pretty humble and kind overall. Maybe that Pedro dude will be the one to get mad.

Well we might be heading in that direction with this Samurai secret. I'm assuming the minks didn't know Momo was one of the samurai and perhaps they'll be pissed when they realized the attack might have been avoided if they handed him over.

But I doubt they would have, they seem pretty humble and kind overall. Maybe that Pedro dude will be the one to get mad.
Yea im positive that's what's going to happen if oda let's them get off this island without revealing they know samurai I'll be impressed.

Kreed

One Piece 808:

Now that Oda has gotten the "tease" out of the way with Luffy mentioning the Samurai, I'm going to assume once these flashbacks are over, the Samurais will show up and reveal who they are without Brooke being able to tell them to be quiet, leading to a stand off between the Minks and the Straw Hats (or the Minks find the Ninja and Luffy and co have to stand up for him). I doubt they'd fight each other since the Straw Hats saved them so it'll probably just end up with them being banished or something.

I actually enjoy how this arc is playing out, with the "threat" already being gone and no one needing to be saved for once. Of course I know Jack and his crew could "potentially" come back but I'm hoping Oda will save their confrontation for another arc since Jack could need time to recover from his failed Doflamingo rescue attempt.

RomanceDawn

(black)Jack, Ginrummy, Sheepshead...Next up is Solitaire, Uno, Poker and probably Go Fish.

Pretty cool! So initially it seemed like Carrots little gauntlet hand some electrical mechanism involved. Then Roady used it with his head and now the whole island seems to be able to utilize it at a moments notice. It's gotta be some development and use of static electricity. That's a nice take on races with fur hahaha.

Sicilian looks like that great Swordsman who Ryuma battled in Wanted. Sort of but I guess he also looked like Mihawk to me.

The gas Jack used can be seen as far back as Chapter 795. When Chopper demanded Caesar's help I had a feeling it was from something Kaido's crew had done to the Mink's through Caesar's weapons but I thought it was like Smile experimentation or something. So now it's very clear that that was Sheepshead watching the brokers broadcast, as if we needed any more confirmation.

I'm glad Sanji turned Sheepshead into a one hitter quitter. It's not like we got to see him do anything amazing but he seems fairly important among Jack's division so good for Sanji. Those guys he commanded were Smile users 100%. They probably start as full animals but if they are unstable they may have only parts of their bodies transformed. That could be the risk involved that Law mentioned a few years ago.

As for the Usopp Pirates, did the always have those Luffy styled belts/sashes around their waists or is that new since the last cover page? If it's new I'm going to guess that's their homage to Luffy.

Nothing on Sanji but things are still very intriguing. Caesar is still no where to be found either, I keep having this feeling that Sanji took him with him. If Sanji does have some relation to Vegapunk or the government, he might have asked Caesar what his new bounty was all about. Caesar could have possibly theorized or known why(eyebrows or something) which convinced Sanji to take a few personal days.

Am I the only one who thought of this dude when I read "Gin Rummy"?
latest

NSESN

I like how a Yonko's second in command is not powerfull enough to take out an entire island by himself in the new world, really shows that, not only the enemies, but everyone will be very powerfull looking ahead, i cannot wait for Wano

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Interested in the lore behind the Calamities. Someone on reddit said it had something to do with Buddhism?

Yeah, Chinese Buddhism has the 3 calamities: 7 days of war, 7 months of disease, and 7 years of famine. Which are caused by the 3 poisons of anger, greed and foolishness. I believe specially its anger leads to war, greed to famine, and foolishness to pestilence.

Not sure which Jack is supposed to represent if this is the inspiration. His drought ability fits with famine but his personality fits better with the sin of anger. Plus he did just bring 7 days of war to the country. Then again, perhaps each of Kaidou's top men are supposed to invoke all the calamities at once as Jack did bring war, disease and famine to Zou.

There's also the greater calamities of fire, wind and water but I can't see how they relate to this arc at all.

Dimmle

I think Jack is specifically the embodiment of famine but the crew as a whole reflects the ruination of war, famine, and disease. The name "Pleasures" seems to imply that they're hedonistic pillagers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, Chinese Buddhism has the 3 calamities: 7 days of war, 7 months of disease, and 7 years of famine. Which are caused by the 3 poisons of anger, greed and foolishness. I believe specially its anger leads to war, greed to famine, and foolishness to pestilence.

Not sure which Jack is supposed to represent if this is the inspiration. His drought ability fits with famine but his personality fits better with the sin of anger. Plus he did just bring 7 days of war to the country. Then again, perhaps each of Kaidou's top men are supposed to invoke all the calamities at once as Jack did bring war, disease and famine to Zou.

There's also the greater calamities of fire, wind and water but I can't see how they relate to this arc at all.

He's likely famine. If we look back to his first mention he's definitely foolish. Also, I'm not sure the minks are still at war. From what we've seen they're in the aftermath of the battle with Jack and are recovering after he left, and are a little on edge after what happened.

He's likely famine. If we look back to his first mention he's definitely foolish. Also, I'm not sure the minks are still at war. From what we've seen they're in the aftermath of the battle with Jack and are recovering after he left, and are a little on edge after what happened.

Yes attacking the convoy with DF would seem to be supremely foolish...

By the way, I don't think I mentioned this before, but I do like how Usopp's wanted posters say "God Usopp", like even the government caught on to it and thought it was a fitting name. It's so silly. They even used the image that belonged to Doffy for the poster. Doffy should sue.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
By the way, I don't think I mentioned this before, but I do like how Usopp's wanted posters say "God Usopp", like even the government caught on to it and thought it was a fitting name. It's so silly. They even used the image that belonged to Doffy for the poster. Doffy should sue.
Can you sue from prison? Would a wanted criminal warlord like Doffy even be taken seriously at this point? Haha

I think you're right that Jack represents foolishness, as all we've ever seen from him is that he's a completely unreasonable psychotic. He won't listen to the Mink when they claim they don't have Raizou, and he chases after Doflamingo when he's totally outmatched. However, I think we're going through the calamities in order, and that Doflamingo was actually one of Kaidou's Calamities. He'd fit right in as being anger leading into war, as his entire motivation was based around his rage towards the Tenryubito, and he had his hand heavily involved with selling weapons and fanning the flames of war all throughout the world.

That would naturally mean that Jack's foolishness would lead into disease and pestilence, and, well, Chopper revealed at the end of the chapter that Jack had to use Caeser's bio weapons to take down the Mink...

BHK3

Banned
Definitely liking Jack as a character, even interrupts the old mink cause he's here for business only. No 'ok ima let you talk but I'll just destroy everything after to everyones faux shock' trope here!

I'd be really surprised if Diez Drake is one of the Three Calamities. But I'm eager to see what important role he plays in this arc. Also, I can't wait to see what unique traits Oda gives this mammoth Zoan.

It's going to be cool to see X Drake in action. We only saw a teaser of it a long time ago.

Is it weird that one of the reasons I want him to appear asap is because I want to play as him in the video games? Just image playing as a dinosaur in Pirate Warriors.

It's going to be cool to see X Drake in action. We only saw a teaser of it a long time ago.

Is it weird that one of the reasons I want him to appear asap is because I want to play as him in the video games? Just image playing as a dinosaur in Pirate Warriors.
Well he's in one piece burning blood for ps4/xbox one

Well he's in one piece burning blood for ps4/xbox one

Oh wow, I had no idea. I just looked it up and indeed, a few new character have been announced for Burning Blood. I completely missed it! That's awesome. Still, there's no video gameplay so we'll see how well they did him. And I do want him even more for Pirate Warriors ;b

Well, I like but, I also want him to show up so I can get a good figure of him.

I'd be really surprised if Diez Drake is one of the Three Calamities. But I'm eager to see what important role he plays in this arc. Also, I can't wait to see what unique traits Oda gives this mammoth Zoan.

I don't think he will be. X Drake is only a recent member of Kaido's crew. It sounds like these 3 calamities are Kaido's closest network of people. I doubt that in 2 years X Drake reached that position. Plus it seems like all the Supernova under Yonko are more of in an alliance with them rather than simply accepted as crew.

Kornflayx

Would be cool if there was a ranking based on what kind of zoan fruit they have.

Underlings -> Smile
Division Leaders -> normal Zoan
Calamities -> Ancient Zoan
Kaidou -> Mythical Zoan (Dragon)

ryan13ts

Are we ever going to find out what happened to Sanji? And it also seems like a lot is missing in terms of explantion of what happened before Luffy and co. got to Zou, like why the hell is Caesar not with them still (Figured that would have been a big thing to mention in the flashback).

I think you're right that Jack represents foolishness, as all we've ever seen from him is that he's a completely unreasonable psychotic. He won't listen to the Mink when they claim they don't have Raizou, and he chases after Doflamingo when he's totally outmatched. However, I think we're going through the calamities in order, and that Doflamingo was actually one of Kaidou's Calamities. He'd fit right in as being anger leading into war, as his entire motivation was based around his rage towards the Tenryubito, and he had his hand heavily involved with selling weapons and fanning the flames of war all throughout the world.

That would naturally mean that Jack's foolishness would lead into disease and pestilence, and, well, Chopper revealed at the end of the chapter that Jack had to use Caeser's bio weapons to take down the Mink...

Something I considered, but hasnt it been stated that all the calamities cause some sort of natural disaster in their wake? Also, strange that it has never been mentioned until now, and I don't think DF would work under anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom