• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

I was watching Tom and Jerry and Tom was drinking out of a glass. Cats don't even have thumbs. Also, how do they pay for the house and all the mousetraps and stuff? The closest thing either of them has to a paying job is the time Jerry goes and plays jazz all night, but you don't see him get money.

Anyway, I hope this week actually sheds some light on Sanji, but I am guessing it'll be focused on Caesar's chemicals.

Veelk

Banned
I was watching Tom and Jerry and Tom was drinking out of a glass. Cats don't even have thumbs. Also, how do they pay for the house and all the mousetraps and stuff? The closest thing either of them has to a paying job is the time Jerry goes and plays jazz all night, but you don't see him get money.

The better question is how Tom and Jerry's owners feel about keeping sapient creatures as slaves. Which is actually something that bugs me about OP as well and kept meaning to bring it up. The animals of OP obviously have human intelligence, but no one has any problems killing and eating them. The minks seem to skirt around it by only eating nonmammalian animals, but I'm not sure why it matters if they're eating sapient creatures either way.

Do you think Luffy would have any compulsions against being a cannibal? In the time skip on the island, he didn't eat 3 animals because he considered them friends, so he wouldn't eat any of his Nakama, but I bet he'd eat other people. Oda should show that. Have Sanji cook up Jack whenever Luffy's through with him. I bet Oda could even get away with it if he does it in his elephant form.

Edit: it's even already established with Zeff. Sanji can recreate the first meal that Zeff ever taught him to make. It's a full circle! GOOOODA!

bjork

The better question is how Tom and Jerry's owners feel about keeping sapient creatures as slaves. Which is actually something that bugs me about OP as well and kept meaning to bring it up. The animals of OP obviously have human intelligence, but no one has any problems killing and eating them. The minks seem to skirt around it by only eating nonmammalian animals, but I'm not sure why it matters if they're eating sapient creatures either way.

Do you think Luffy would have any compulsions against being a cannibal? In the time skip on the island, he didn't eat 3 animals because he considered them friends, so he wouldn't eat any of his Nakama, but I bet he'd eat other people. Oda should show that. Have Sanji cook up Jack whenever Luffy's through with him. I bet Oda could even get away with it if he does it in his elephant form.

Edit: it's even already established with Zeff. Sanji can recreate the first meal that Zeff ever taught him to make. It's a full circle! GOOOODA!

Wait wait. In the episodes where there are humans, Tom's on more of a work exchange program than anything. Jerry is just a mouse stealing stuff and being a bastard. Slaves? I'm actually interested to hear this theory.

As for cannibalism, who knows if that is even taboo in OP's world. They were scared of being eaten on Little Garden, but maybe the finest delicacies that the nobles dine on is the flesh of the strongest commoners.

Veelk

Banned
Wait wait. In the episodes where there are humans, Tom's on more of a work exchange program than anything. Jerry is just a mouse stealing stuff and being a bastard. Slaves? I'm actually interested to hear this theory.

As for cannibalism, who knows if that is even taboo in OP's world. They were scared of being eaten on Little Garden, but maybe the finest delicacies that the nobles dine on is the flesh of the strongest commoners.

I would need to do more research. Been ages since I've seen Tom and Jerry. But if Tom is a pet, that's kind of implying slavery in turn. You have a point about Jerry though, he's more of a homeless dude secretly occupying a home against the homeowners will. Still, it's not like they give a mouse a lot to work with in that universe. If they had episodes exploring the deep seated special prejudices inherent in their society, I'd check that out.

On Little Garden, I think they were afraid of being eaten by wild animals....which would be iffy in it's own right, I guess. If animals have human intelligence, then them eating other intelligent creatures is as questionable as it is for people.

I think if we see people being eaten, they'd probably be still alive during the process, given how impossible it is to kill anyone in OP. That's probably practical, if anything since the meat will stay good for longer. So I think we can expect an OP depiction of this at some point. And Sanji can have a version of this for Luffy. This would elevate the series considerably.

Gintamen

The animals of OP obviously have human intelligence, but no one has any problems killing and eating them. The minks seem to skirt around it by only eating nonmammalian animals, but I'm not sure why it matters if they're eating sapient creatures either way.
They appear intelligent because Toriyama did it that way and OP is a comedy after all.

I know, right? And I'm the troll around here.

Boa could be like normal real world women who have strong personalities, but feel happy being subordinate to their lovers/husbands. Aisha Tyler had a great girlonguy session with Gabrielle Reece about that very topic.

bjork

I would need to do more research. Been ages since I've seen Tom and Jerry. But if Tom is a pet, that's kind of implying slavery in turn. You have a point about Jerry though, he's more of a homeless dude secretly occupying a home against the homeowners will. Still, it's not like they give a mouse a lot to work with in that universe. If they had episodes exploring the deep seated special prejudices inherent in their society, I'd check that out.

The only time I think Tom was purely a pet was in the Gene Deitch episodes, where the owner was a man who'd always think Tom did things Jerry did or planned out. But in the other cases, there were specific shorts where he would be threatened with eviction if he didn't catch Jerry or that little grey mouse, etc.

Also where's my Teletubbies recap? Did I miss it?

Veelk

Banned
Also where's my Teletubbies recap? Did I miss it?

Oh shit, I was supposed to do that, wasn't I? I wish I remembered over break, I'd have done it then. Now finals are starting up soon. I won't have time to read or game or watch anything anymore. Give me 2 more weeks and I'll have it up.

Impel down: Why does Hancock say she can't go any further. She just demonstrated that she has the ability to freeze the guards in place and even their cameras, then revive them with them being left unawares. Why can't she simply do that to all the guards down to Ace's cell. You could argue that if something goes wrong, that would lead to them realizing her intentions to break him out, but it's not like she cares about the Kuja's. She's just doing it to help out Luffy and would damn them for him if she was willing to damn them out of sheer apathy before. And really, even if they are caught, she has room for plausible deniability. She could just say she had no intentions of freeing ace and she had no affiliation with Luffy. Between her mindcontrol/supercharm, and the fact that they need her for the oncoming war, there is atleast a good chance they'll listen. And there are so many ways to sneak in with her ability. Steal a key to the seastone cuffs via freezing so she can unlock her ability, just stone everyone in sight. She can either unlock the cage so Ace leaves after she leaves or just give him his own key so he can escape at his own leisure when the opportunity arises.

Hancock, goddammit, you are literally the most powerful woman on the planet outside of Big Mom. Do something, damn it.

bjork

Oh shit, I was supposed to do that, wasn't I? I wish I remembered over break, I'd have done it then. Now finals are starting up soon. I won't have time to read or game or watch anything anymore. Give me 2 more weeks and I'll have it up.

Impel down: Why does Hancock say she can't go any further. She just demonstrated that she has the ability to freeze the guards in place and even their cameras, then revive them with them being left unawares. Why can't she simply do that to all the guards down to Ace's cell. You could argue that if something goes wrong, that would lead to them realizing her intentions to break him out, but it's not like she cares about the Kuja's. She's just doing it to help out Luffy and would damn them for him if she was willing to damn them out of sheer apathy before. And really, even if they are caught, she has room for plausible deniability. She could just say she had no intentions of freeing ace and she had no affiliation with Luffy. Between her mindcontrol/supercharm, and the fact that they need her for the oncoming war, there is atleast a good chance they'll listen. And there are so many ways to sneak in with her ability. Steal a key to the seastone cuffs via freezing so she can unlock her ability, just stone everyone in sight. She can either unlock the cage so Ace leaves after she leaves or just give him his own key so he can escape at his own leisure when the opportunity arises.

Hancock, goddammit, you are literally the most powerful woman on the planet outside of Big Mom. Do something, damn it.

I was being mostly facetious, but hell, I'll read it because no one's ever done it before.

When she stoned the den den mushi, the control room noticed right away. I think for a successful escape, she'd have to stone everyone and not restore them. She does want to retain her status with the government, so that might not be the best course of action. We know Luffy's not going to protect the Kuja, so assuming she froze everyone and then got away, then what?

Veelk

Banned
I was being mostly facetious, but hell, I'll read it because no one's ever done it before.

When she stoned the den den mushi, the control room noticed right away. I think for a successful escape, she'd have to stone everyone and not restore them. She does want to retain her status with the government, so that might not be the best course of action. We know Luffy's not going to protect the Kuja, so assuming she froze everyone and then got away, then what?

Well, I would think she could freeze anyone. But people in multiple places could make that hard. Still, one piece characters are awfully stupid though. I wouldn't have been surprised if she would be able to talk her way out of that one.

But it's kind of a plot point that her attitude toward other Kuja's is fundamentally unchanged. She was introduced kicking a kitten, and she walked out of Amazon Lily kicking a puppy and a baby seal. It's just that now instead of following her own 'do nothing' whims, she follows Luffy's will. Luffy would probably care that the Kuja's wouldn't get any more protection, but Hancock would atleast offer to let her sisters burn for him, so I'm surprised she didn't just say "fuck the police" and helped out regardless. It's somewhat out of character.

Iirc, the door could only be opened from the control room? Or did the guard have the keys? Either way, getting through the hells and to Ace's cell is no easy task, and she many not be able to freeze powerful opponents, such as Magellan.

Veelk

Banned
Iirc, the door could only be opened from the control room? Or did the guard have the keys? Either way, getting through the hells and to Ace's cell is no easy task, and she many not be able to freeze powerful opponents, such as Magellan.

I wouldn't see why not. Her power is based on sexual arousal, not strength, and she makes people cum just by fluttering her eyelashes. It's possible Megellan is asexual like Luffy, but it's unlikely. The guards don't have the keys as far as I can see and in any case they could just blast their way down like Luffy eventually does (I think. I haven't read much into it yet.) Either way, I can't imagine a scenerio where Boa would be more of a hinderance to this than a help. At worst, she'll blow a cover she doesn't really care to keep much anyway.

I wouldn't see why not. Her power is based on sexual arousal, not strength, and she makes people cum just by fluttering her eyelashes. It's possible Megellan is asexual like Luffy, but it's unlikely. The guards don't have the keys as far as I can see and in any case they could just blast their way down like Luffy eventually does (I think. I haven't read much into it yet.) Either way, I can't imagine a scenerio where Boa would be more of a hinderance to this than a help. At worst, she'll blow a cover she doesn't really care to keep much anyway.

She couldn't freeze that one marine captain. I severely doubt she can freeze anyone stronger -- such as Magellan. There's no OP fruit like that in OP. Oda always have some power balance in some shape or form.

Veelk

Banned
She couldn't freeze that one marine captain. I severely doubt she can freeze anyone stronger. There's no OP fruit like that in OP. Oda always have some power balance in some shape or form.

She couldn't freeze him because he stabbed his arm to distract himself. It's explicitely stated that he couldn't think about her while in pain, not because she was stronger. So yeah, her freeze ray is avoidable, but only through extreme actions that can't really be repeated unless he planned to stab himself over and over until he died anyway.

Also, that's blatantly not true. Fruits have always worked regardless of strength. For example, Blueno was able to put a door on Luffy even though Luffy was stronger. Or the time that painter girl from baroque works used her powers on Luffy. And Perona using her ghosts on the straw hats.

She couldn't freeze him because he stabbed his arm to distract himself. It's explicitely stated that he couldn't think about her while in pain, not because she was stronger. So yeah, her freeze ray is avoidable, but only through extreme actions that can't really be repeated unless he planned to stab himself over and over until he died anyway.

Also, that's blatantly not true. Fruits have always worked regardless of strength. For example, Blueno was able to put a door on Luffy even though Luffy was stronger.

Not sure if you're missing the point just to argue or if you're legitimately missing the point. You're drawing conclusions with very little evidence and just rub everything I say away as being "blatantly wrong". It's like talking to a stone wall. I could explain to you in detail why you're wrong but with your disgusting attitude it just feels like a complete waste of time.

Veelk

Banned
Not sure if you're missing the point just to argue or if you're legitimately missing the point. You're drawing conclusions with very little evidence and just rub everything I say away as being "blatantly wrong". It's like talking to a stone wall. I could explain to you in detail why you're wrong but with your disgusting attitude it just feels like a complete waste of time.

From my understanding of your post, you said that there is no fruit in OP that works on opponents stronger than the user. That's what I was saying is blatantly wrong, and listed examples. If I misunderstood and you were saying something else, then my apologies. But if that is what you meant, I didn't mean blatantly wrong in an inflammatory sense. I meant that that was wrong, and blatantly so. That's why I listed examples, proving it's blatancy.

I don't see my wording as offensive at all, but I recommend you don't talk to me if you are going to take what I say offensively. I am the guy eating crackers in this thread and there is little point in trying to convince you guys otherwise. I don't have as much freetime now anyway, so not getting into an overly long argument would probably be for the better for me too.

Veelk

Banned
Guys, just fucking stop and let's all be friends.

Nice weather today!

Right?

RIGHT?!

I think we're at a point where a simple misunderstanding or debate of a point cannot happen. People think that just because I never stop trying to figure out how plots work and write about them, that means I'm looking for a fight. I can't actually be asking "Hey, this doesn't make sense to me, does anyone know why it happens", because people always only hear "Oh, look, another way OP fails, another way for me to try and bring down the OP community, bwahahaha'". If I use any strong language at all, it's interpreted as an attack. And by the time we realize all there was was just a miscommunication, there is too much resentment in the air to even continue discussing it.

There isn't a particular thing I regret posting or anything, but I do regret that things are the way they are. I'm really looking forward to just being done with OP. This doesn't include everyone here obviously, and I do my best to keep the work and outside factors seperate as I've always said should be the case. Still, if I couldn't appreciate what OP did for me, I could have atleast appreciated what it did for others, but it's hard to take pleasure in other's joy when those others have turned so unwelcoming.

Meanwhile you got the naruto community over there crying tears of joy and discussing a potential part 3 naruto.

Really? Man. I am hyper critical of OP, but I can acknowledge it does a lot of things right. Naruto went down the toilet like nothing I've ever seen. As someone who used to be a naruto fan, there is nothing that can bring the series back from the depths it plummeted. It was a storytelling black hole where nothing could could escape.

I don't even know how I can say I feel about a part 3. It's hard for me to imagine the writing to get worse, but at the same time, if anyone can pull it off, it's Kishi.

Got u guys shiting on naruto instead of fighting...ha! One up for sanji bringing the community together

dfe8d824caf0558be0fb0ee28c6c507b.png

But seriously though who is Sanji?

Can't remember.

Chariot

Does anyone know how Sanji lights on fire? I still don't understand.
He spins around and heats his leg until it burns. This actually sounds like something stupid to do, but I guess his legs are just THAT sturdy.

edit: just read it up on OP wiki:
Sanji is now able to spontaneously ignite his leg(s) to perform Diable Jambe and thus is no longer dependent on spinning to do so, even capable of igniting his leg underwater. This is partially due to the trauma Sanji endured for the last two years, so much so that simply reminding himself of it causes him to burst out in flames through sheer anger.
Kicking people with the power of continued rape attempt induced homophobia.

Veelk

Banned
edit: just read it up on OP wiki:Kicking people with the power of continued rape attempt induced homophobia.

*blinks*

Wow. I actually thought I disliked Sanji as much as I could, but now it's worse. Not because of the homophobia, because honestly, what do you expect from the tool. But now I find out that he took his already dumb justification for his fire powers and made it even lamer.

I know it's never going to happen, but I actually do wish he'd never come back.

*blinks*

Wow. I actually thought I hated Sanji as much as I could, but now it's worse. Not because of the homophobia, because honestly, what do you expect from the tool. But now I find out that he took his already dumb justification for his fire powers and made it even lamer.

I know it's never going to happen, but I actually do hope he never comes back.
So much sanji hate. Keep it up folks the GOAT needs salt for his meals

Big One

Banned
I think in Sanji's case, I think it's more of an implication of elemental affinities in the series.

Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro all utilize fire in various ways.

Brook can use ice for some reason.

Minks can use electricity.

I think Oda is hiding some powers he hasn't revealed yet.

Veelk

Banned
I think in Sanji's case, I think it's more of an implication of elemental affinities in the series.

Luffy, Sanji, and Zoro all utilize fire in various ways.

Brook can use ice for some reason.

I think Oda is hiding some powers he hasn't revealed yet.

So what about Usopp's fire shots? And I don't know if Franky's explosive weapons count as fire, but...

I don't think they're using lightning. It's more like shockwaves when they attack; a visual effect to indicate damage. Or maybe I'm all wrong; it just seems more likely to me.

But yeah, Luffy and Zoro also use fire, I'd say for the same (vague) reason as Sanji.

Hmm well since people wanna take a shot at my boy sanji. How does a seed grow on impact and become a giant plant wolf/sleeping flower/bamboo

Well, that one's easier to explain. They're seeds that exist in this universe that just work that way.

Veelk

Banned
Hmm well since people wanna take a shot at my boy sanji. How does a seed grow on impact and become a giant plant wolf/sleeping flower/bamboo
Typical one piece reasons. It just does. But if I were feeling more charitable, I could say that it's a special seed that Usopp gathered in his time on that island.

With Sanji's abilities, there is literally no possible rational that makes sense even within one pieces crazy world for why it happens. Others have df fruit powers or use equipment or in the case of zoro have his powers specifically linked to his spirituality. Most of it is still bullshit, but there is atleast that tiny shred of an excuse that atleast provides cause for why they can do what they do. Sanji on the other hand... Can just light his leg on fire. Without it even acting like a normal fire. Just cause.

Granted the actual diable jambe did have the explanation that sanji spun around on his leg to create friction that heats up his leg.

His post timeskip technique is literally a weaponized manga reaction effect.

I don't think they're using lightning. It's more like shockwaves when they attack; a visual effect to indicate damage. Or maybe I'm all wrong; it just seems more likely to me.

But yeah, Luffy and Zoro also use fire, I'd say for the same (vague) reason as Sanji.

Well, that one's easier to explain. They're seeds that exist in this universe that just work that way.

It's electricity, hence why it didn't work on Luffy to the Mink's surprise

Granted the actual diable jambe did have the explanation that sanji spun around on his leg to create friction that heats up his leg.

basically yea. Pre timeskip it at least made a lil sense. Id argue the most out there ability tho is zoros asura that was just straight up out of nowhere. And no i dont wanna hear its his spirit thats crap lol

Veelk

Banned

Which has so many holes, it's not even worth listing. Honestly, that can be said about nearly every fighting style in the manga, but Sanji's is particularly egregious in its nonsensical nature.

Zoro going to harbor a demon inside of him. Calling it.
Its the only freaking way honestly. The fact everyone else can see it as well seems even more ridiculous. Ima cut!! But i can make illusions too!. Speaking of abilities..i need a nami fight her fights are always so cool to me

Big One

Banned
Which has so many holes, it's not even worth listing. Honestly, that can be said about nearly every fighting style in the manga, but Sanji's is particularly egregious in its nonsensical nature.
One Piece isn't supposed to make logical sense. A work of fiction isn't obligated to make logical sense of anything to be of quality.

One Piece isn't supposed to make logical sense. A work of fiction isn't obligated to make logical sense of anything to be of quality.

Of course a series needs to make logical sense. It just needs to make logical sense according to it's own rules, rather than those of real life. Suspension of belief is not all encompassing

Veelk

Banned

I disagree, but I'm not willing to take you up on the matter for now. I'll just say that many confuse logic for realism, which isn't what I mean at all. And believe it or not, Oda does believe in logic, but only in an abstract and metaphorical sort of logic. For example, anger is associated with hotness. If Sanji is sufficiently angry, he is on fire. And Oda simply takes the abstract logic of it and makes it concrete. So Sanji's ability is logical if you abstract it enough, it just isn't realistic.

What it misses out in however is any shred of verisimilitude, and that I do consider a significant flaw. Perhaps the most significant flaw any fictional work can have. It leaves me with no way to believe in the events of the story. And if I can't do that, I have no way of getting immersed in it.

Big One

Banned
Of course a series needs to make logical sense. It just needs to make logical sense according to it's own rules, rather than those of real life. Suspension of belief is not all encompassing
Yeah but Veelk emphasizes that the series needs some sort of logical real world relativity to really work. I call BS on that, or else we could strip the majority of fictional stories down to seem they're of lesser quality than they actually are.

Of course it needs to make sense in the realm of it's setting. Sanji getting powers from running away from okama makes sense in the One Piece setting, so I do not see the issue with that.
I disagree, but I'm not willing to take you up on the matter for now. I'll just say that many confuse logic for realism, which isn't what I mean at all. And believe it or not, Oda does believe in logic, but only in an abstract and metaphorical sort of logic. For example, anger is associated with hotness. If Sanji is sufficiently angry, he is on fire. And Oda simply takes the abstract logic of it and makes it concrete. So it is logical, it just isn't realistic.

What it misses out in however is any shred of verisimilitude, and that I do consider a significant flaw. Perhaps the most significant flaw any fictional work can have. It leaves me with no way to believe in the events of the story. And if I can't do that, I have no way of getting immersed in it.
How in what way does Sanji having fire powers misses out on any shred of verisimilitude? Elaborate.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah but Veelk emphasizes that the series needs some sort of logical real world relativity to really work. I call BS on that, or else we could strip the majority of fictional stories down to seem they're of lesser quality than they actually are.

Of course it needs to make sense in the realm of it's setting. Sanji getting powers from running away from okama makes sense in the One Piece setting, so I do not see the issue with that.

As I said, I really can't get into it right now, though I want to because I find it an interesting aspect of storytelling, but I need to point out there is no such thing as "real world" logic. There is just logic. It is universal. If you try to separate logic into isolated fictional worlds, then it is impossible for any fictional series to be illogical because what makes sense is what happens and what happens is what makes sense. Inconsistency, under this framework, is impossible. You could have a page of literal gibberish and it would make sense onto itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom