• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chapter 730-40 something: Is there any reason they didn't just have Usopp shoot the fake grape at Sugar? I mean, abruptly shooting a spicy little ball into his opponent's mouth is one of his main techniques, but no one even suggested it.

Kater

Banned
Chapter 730-40 something: Is there any reason they didn't just have Usopp shoot the fake grape at Sugar? I mean, abruptly shooting a spicy little ball into his opponent's mouth is one of his main techniques, but no one even suggested it.
He knew that this plan would work, why do something that hasn't already been proven successful? And it looked way cooler. Especially in gif format.

tumblr_nb30rsrbWB1sws3fuo1_500.gif

Grexeno

It wouldn't have worked because they already saw Trebol snipe a fly that was flying around.

Bruh. Reading the Naruto thread makes me so thankful Oda nipped the pairing bs in the bud early in the series.

Imagine how BAD the fandom would have gotten if Oda tried to do the same ship-teasing that Kishi did.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Bruh. Reading the Naruto thread makes me so thankful Oda nipped the pairing bs in the bud early in the series.

Imagine how BAD the fandom would have gotten if Oda tried to do the same ship-teasing that Kishi did.

Dear lord, I don't even want to imagine. It's better this way, there is enough big shit going down that shipping should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

Oda's refusal for romance has allowed One Piece to have some of the best female characters I've read in a long running manga. No psycho bitches, no shy healer Mary Sues, no "man with tits" archetypes. Just characters, who can be as quirky or interesting without being directly tied to the male ones

Pairing bs? What do you mean?

NaruhHna vs NaruSaku vs SasuSaku vs SasuHina va NaruSasu vs NaruIno vs SasuKari vs SasuKaka vs NaruBee vs NaruAka vs NaruHand..etc.

Just look up some of these tags on Tumblr and you'll understand where I'm coming from.
Most of the fandom is so pairing-focused, and it's one of the major reasons why it's so intolerable.

Cwarrior

Oda's refusal for romance has allowed One Piece to have some of the best female characters I've read in a long running manga. No psycho bitches, no shy healer Mary Sues, no "man with tits" archetypes. Just characters, who can be as quirky or interesting without being directly tied to the male ones

Seriously thank God, nearly every manga & anime has been ruined or hamperd heavily by cornball japanese quality romance and one of the side effects is that a lot of female main cast entire character heavily revolve around there designated male crush, which leads to a bunch of cliche cringy romance trope scenes.

I wish other mangka could follow suite & learn from oda on that aspect.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Of course, this has not stopped shipping from existing...
At least Oda's writing has lead the "weird parts" of the fanbase to focus their art skills elsewhere (RULE 63 ALL THE CHARACTERS)

Bandini

Tried to watch Film Z last night, had to turn it off after 15 minutes. I really can't handle the Strawhats when they aren't written by Oda. The characters and dialogue just feel off... like the writers are trying too hard to capture their quirks and it loses the natural, organic feel of the manga. Seeing Borsalino fight with decent animation was pretty cool at least.

I'm confused about what you're complaining about. Oda produced and supervised the movie, which means the crew is acting how they would normally would in the manga.

There was even a comment a while back from the director about how Oda consistently kept checking the script to make sure the characters were written the way he envisioned them.

Tried to watch Film Z last night, had to turn it off after 15 minutes. I really can't handle the Strawhats when they aren't written by Oda. The characters and dialogue just feel off... like the writers are trying too hard to capture their quirks and it loses the natural, organic feel of the manga. Seeing Borsalino fight with decent animation was pretty cool at least.
did you watch it dubbed or subbed? Really seem accurate to me...

Reading about everything going on with Naruto ending and man...I can't even picture in my head the day One Piece ends. I mean, obviously I'm ride or die at this point but that last week will be something crazy. Oda said something like he's got 10 years or so left right? What the hell is my life gonna look like in 10 years?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Reading about everything going on with Naruto ending and man...I can't even picture in my head the day One Piece ends. I mean, obviously I'm ride or die at this point but that last week will be something crazy. Oda said something like he's got 10 years or so left right? What the hell is my life gonna look like in 10 years?

It is crazy to think about media things you anticipate in the far future, and to consider the changes in your life that will have taken place by then as well. It's easy to imagine yourself the same as today, but realistically by the time One Piece ends I'll have kids in elementary school. I'll be in my FORTIES.

aechris

It is crazy to think about media things you anticipate in the far future, and to consider the changes in your life that will have taken place by then as well. It's easy to imagine yourself the same as today, but realistically by the time One Piece ends I'll have kids in elementary school. I'll be in my FORTIES.

When I started watching One Piece: early 20s, university, student house
Now (let alone when it ends): married, 3-year old, own a house, career

When I think about the stuff that happened in between, hooooolay. Lived overseas, got cancer, went BACK to university, etc., etc. So crazy how long it's been with us.

When I started watching One Piece: early 20s, university, student house
Now (let alone when it ends): married, 3-year old, own a house, career

When I think about the stuff that happened in between, hooooolay. Lived overseas, got cancer, went BACK to university, etc., etc. So crazy how long it's been with us.

For those of us who are younger, this manga has been around through the most integral parts of our development into people, and it will likely be around until we've all got careers and such. It's pretty mind blowing.

dabig2

I am laughing so much at this pairing apocalypse in Naruto. Thank god One Piece doesn't even hint at that nonsense. Whatever touchy "romance" stuff in there is played for fun ala DBZ (how it should be if you're going to half ass it anyways). Keeps the focus on the world, plot, and characters.

Man, I don't even want to think about One Piece ending. SO much more to discover in that world. So many more adventures to undertake.

BatDan

Chapter 766 spoiler (thanks to redon)

- In the cover, Oda honors Naruto for its ending.
- Rocinante met Law and forced him to eat Ope Ope no Mi.
- Rocinante gave Law a secret letter for the Marine. Law found a Marine but he didn't know that Marine was Vergo.
- Vergo beat up Rocinante and Law and contacted with Doflamingo.
- Rocinante and Law escaped but Doflamingo released the Torikago in Minion.

Torikago = Birdcage. No idea why it's not in English

Dugna

So whatcha all think Law's role will be in the future now based on what you have seen of his past so far? I think he will definitely become best friends with the Staw Hats but I don't think he will become a crew member.

So whatcha all think Law's role will be in the future now based on what you have seen of his past so far? I think he will definitely become best friends with the Staw Hats but I don't think he will become a crew member.

Best friends is a stretch. His status as a Shichibukai could definitely be in jeopardy. Law and the strawhats will probably set out to recover Law's crew, either take on Big Mom and join the current pirate alliance against Kaido.

One Piece 766

Nice of Oda and Kishi to pay tribute to each other

Dammit Corazon you fell victim to the same thing that happens to every fictional undercover character

Also, don't traumatize the kid jeez man

daveo42

Banned
Man Corazon's redemption has been amazing. I wonder how Law will get away.

Wait...do we know if
Law ditched DF at this point and start building his crew in North Blue or does he serve as a part of DF's family for a bit longer?

Wait...do we know if
Law ditched DF at this point and start building his crew in North Blue or does he serve as a part of DF's family for a bit longer?

doflamingo didn't consider himself betrayed
until law destroyed the SAD factory, so we can assume they hung out for a bit longer, with law silently hating him ever since corazon's death

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
In regards to the new chapter:

Vergo mentions that Corazon claims to be Doffy's brother as he disappeared when he was young and reappeared years later. Also, Corazon dying with a smile on his face... could he be a "D" as well?

In regards to the new chapter:

Vergo mentions that Corazon claims to be Doffy's brother as he disappeared when he was young and reappeared years later. Also, Corazon dying with a smile on his face... could he be a "D" as well?

I doubt Corazon is a D because

A. Law being a D is the focus here
B. He hasn't technically died yet
C. Born a celestial Dragon, who seem to have a beef with Ds

Also Corazon is definitely Doflamingo's brother, since he recalled that flashback of them being strung up

I doubt Corazon is a D because

A. Law being a D is the focus here
B. He hasn't technically died yet
C. Born a celestial Dragon, who seem to have a beef with Ds

Also Corazon is definitely Doflamingo's brother, since he recalled that flashback of them being strung up

I agree corazon isn't a D. But it's possible he has some ties to the clan, since he did seem to have some extra motive for helping law out.

BatDan

Finally got around to reading

Damn it Rosinante... you're a total bro.
I audibly yelled "No!" when I saw Vergo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom