• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think there's a chapter this week.

The latest English Jump came out, saying that it's off next week, meaning the next issue (legally) comes out January 4th. So a few days before that.

But things are weird around this time.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
To quote "Zach Logan" from apforums:

December 7th: WSJ Issue #1 - One Piece Chapter 809
December 14th: WSJ Issue #2 - No One Piece Chapter
December 21st: WSJ Issue #3-4 - One Piece Chapter 810
December 28th: No Weekly Shonen Jump or One Piece
January 4th: WSJ Issue #5-6 - One Piece Chapter 811
January 11th: No Weekly Shonen Jump or One Piece
January 18th: WSJ Issue #7 - One Piece Chapter 812

Today was the official release of 810, which is many of you probably already read last week. The next official release will be on Jan 4th, though this will likely leak anywhere between Christmas and New Years (note: will not leak on as consistent timetable as you are normally used to).

smurfx

get some go again

Today was the official release of 810, which is many of you probably already read last week. The next official release will be on Jan 4th, though this will likely leak anywhere between Christmas and New Years (note: will not leak on as consistent timetable as you are normally used to).
i always tell myself i'll wait and not read the chapter if it leaks early but i always do and then be completely miserable for 3 weeks waiting for a new chapter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So that new TV special with Foxy... wasn't the worst thing.
It probably helps that Foxy wasn't even the villain, it was some "just as planned" Vice Admiral that's all about tactics and his Haki fan (Toei really has some strange ideas on how Armament Haki is supposed to work...)
It was overly long though.

Weird thing is that Funimation couldn't get the rights to the ending theme. Instead they just played We Go.

Dugna

I did kinda laugh at the beginning part when they introduced the characters again through the screen.

Watched the special fully and it actually wasn't that bad for some special.

Squishy3

So that new TV special with Foxy... wasn't the worst thing.
It probably helps that Foxy wasn't even the villain, it was some "just as planned" Vice Admiral that's all about tactics and his Haki fan (Toei really has some strange ideas on how Armament Haki is supposed to work...)
It was overly long though.

Weird thing is that Funimation couldn't get the rights to the ending theme. Instead they just played We Go.
Toei original content isn't that bad when it's using the preestablished characters, it's when they try to introduce new characters (ala the infamous Millennial Dragon filler) that things go bad.

So..the year of sanji you say..heh
Welcome back dude!

Thanks, so the January slog begins once again!

Sealed

Banned
If Kaido is anything like Jack, then I doubt it.
To Kidd's perspective, and it's fucking Kidd who doesn't take any shit, a ship from his fleet is sunk and it looks as though Kaido is directly attacking them. If anything, it would probably be them attacking Kaido first.

If they live, which they probably will, and go after Shanks, then that's probably what will cause the confrontation between themselves and Luffy's alliance.

This. I mean, look at this.

latest

"Hey man, let's let bygones be bygones."

"Yeah dudes, you should join me."

"Sure thing."

Hell naw.

idk dude, I just really don't think they're going to fight. they might not team up like I said, but a fight seems too out of the blue.

although I hope I'm wrong, because I want to see Kaidou fucking wreck them

edit: holy shit, it really is almost 2016, isn't it lol

lmao, can't blame ya. Stay with your OP family
I was just reading when people were like what happened to sanji did ffvii get him. Lol im just sitting here like if onlu they knew the total opposite.

But y'all know i got some catching up to do so uh..bout that sanji hype!! What i say!? The time is upon us for the GOAT straw hat to return!!!

Edit: lmao wait wait bish popped up in here..o lord what yall do

Sealed

Banned
I was just reading when people were like what happened to sanji did ffvii get him. Lol im just sitting here like if onlu they knew the total opposite.

But y'all know i got some catching up to do so uh..bout that sanji hype!! What i say!? The time is upon us for the GOAT straw hat to return!!!

Edit: lmao wait wait bish popped up in here..o lord what yall do

We've already seen all the Strawhats united again though

It feels so gooood im staying over here lol the gaming side is bonkers
Gotta watch where you post bro.
idk dude, I just really don't think they're going to fight. they might not team up like I said, but a fight seems too out of the blue.

although I hope I'm wrong, because I want to see Kaidou fucking wreck them

edit: holy shit, it really is almost 2016, isn't it lol

I don't think either party will die, but the fight is definitely meant to be a hype building exercise for Kaido to set the scene. The way the scene is drawn, it looks like a confrontation. Remember that to live in the new world, you either work for a Yonko or you fight one. We know that Kid's alliance is after Shanks, but that fact alone proves that they aren't in the working for a Yonko business. Most of this is just based on Kid's character, he doesn't seem like the kinda guy who wants to serve anyone.

We'll see though. My bet is that we'll find out what happened at the end of the Zou arc.

Idk on one hand the next time we see the kid alliance i wanna see them completely destroyed and bloodied on the ground for some more kaido hype. Because its like when you think about it kaido+his crew+5 supernovas seems waaaaay to much thats why i don't want them to join because luffy and co beating that..eh idk ima have to call shenanigans

RomanceDawn

Super long Sanji defense force post I wrote in another forum when the year of Sanji was reavealed. Typing from my phone, please don't mind the errors.

While I certainly agree Sanji has gotten the short end of the stick as far as the monster trio is concerned I just don't look at his situation as harshly as others.

Zoro gets Warlord Mihawk yeah, but he apparently had rest and down time and then came back with a missing eye. Mihawk was the guy who didn't get a chance with White Beard and had to "settle" for Vista. I don't say that as a true knock to Vista or Mihawk but I feel like I'm the only one who remembers the dissapointment in Mihawk during the war. I understand why from a story perspective exactly why Mihawk did not get to go toe to toe with Newgate in a similar fashion to what we have imagined with Shanks. The understanding is that Luffy's goal and Zoro's goal continue to be miles apart, just like Mihawk stated in the East Blue and during that time the story was not ready for Mihawk to show his all.

Luffy got 1.5 years with Rayleigh to learn the basics of Haki and was then left to his own devices. I'd argue Zoro got the better deal there. Still doesn't mean much when from my perception, Luffy is still far and away the undisputed king on the sunny.

Sanji gets Ivankov and an island full of martial arts masters. Ivankov was the right hand man of Dragon the most wanted man in the world right? At least before his capture. I forget what Ivankov said to Kuma during the war but his words and actions more or less gave the impression that he was bit higher on the ladder than Kuma was. At least when they were together in the revolutionary army. I don't look down on him at all. Sanji had to "survive" the whole time, gag or not, and once he learned about the actual cooking upgrades he fully embraced his 2 year challenge. Then he came back and could fly. Better than a poked out eye I'd say.

Now then with that being said, I don't really look at the eye thing as being some major weakness or a knock to Zoro at all, I remember people being legitimately upset that Zoro now had worse depth perception. All I could do was roll my eyes. I mean Zoro has had the most spotless record since the Time Skip. His fighting style alone means that he takes and gives hits differently than Luffy and Sanji. Zoro can block Hodi's or a Dragon's teeth with His swords. Luffy can not, he couldn't block bellamies Haki punch with his own Haki. Of course at that point in the story it gave us a little bit of drama but there are many among us who took that scene to say that Luff's training wasn't enough. Then came gear 4th and even Doffy couldn't break through that.

Vergo and the fractured leg. The strongest enemy on the island and Sanji gets the first go. He gets is leg fractured but he kept going and it was only made mentioned once since then. If it's anything like real life(and it's not) the bone is actually stronger than it was before. It's only stronger now cause Sanji lived on and got RPG experience. I know Sanji acknowledged himself that that fight could have ended badly but even after trying to block a hit that he couldn't block, Vergo never got a clean hit on Sanji While Sanji at the very least proved to be faster and actually sent him flying and bleeding twice. Sure Vergo just kept Terminatoring his way back but as a Vice Admiral and Doffy's most important crew mate, can't Vergo just be that good? Plus knowing what we know now, it makes perfect sense why Law would be the one to defeat him, still I'm a little unsatisfied with Vergo just assuming his Haki would protect him. It didn't even appear as if Law roughed him up and just left him for the explosion.

Sanji goes after Doflamingo before Luffy does and at that point in the entire story the only times we've seen Doffy take a "hit" was during Croc's sand tornado and Law giving him the shaving cut. I did think at the time Sanji was going to get a real hit in but I should have known. It wasn't time in the story for that, and it was only Luffy that was ever going to get to do it. I know Sanji lit both is legs at once, first time ever, people argue he had nothing left, well of course he does its just not time in the story for that stuff yet. At the very least Doffy gave him some acknowledgment on his power and resorted to capturing him with the same move he seemingly captured Sanji's White Beard equivalent with. Not only that but the ONLY character in the entire series to escape from such a thing was Luffy, during the absolute final, island splitting, super punch climax of the longest arc known to man! From my perspective I just can't hold that loss against Sanji. Does no one else see it this way? I know people want to know why he didn't pull out stronger moves, but come on, anytime there is an ability that is still misunderstood(hax)by the heroes, they tend to fail against it for a while. And if you ask why didn't Sanji bring out his blue fire against the string you might as well ask why Luffy didn't attempt to Gear 4 Noah to bits.

I honestly don't think Oda had a good enough explination for Doffy's parasite ability or invisible web, you wonder why he didn't attempt to control Law or Luffy right from the get go. Still with time I'm sure we will understand its limits.

With no major wins and the annoying gags surrounding Sanji, I can easily see why fans are dissatisfied. Zoro gets lots of shining moments since the TS, and the worst that happened to him was falling asleep, and taking an electric shock from a Mink who dodged his initial attack. While Luffy has had a few fails and good hits given to him, he ultimately gets to redeem those moments from the very attackers that got him. Even Usopp has had more shining moments, especially when he develops Haki right before our very eyes while giving an awesome speech and pullin off the greatest long ranged attack the story has seen so far. Add all that to the fact that when something kind of silly or dumb happens in a non-combative situation it's at the expense of Sanji.

With all of that said I wonder if Oda was calculating all of that for this upcoming Sanji focused year. It reminds me of how I started to feel about Usopp during Skypeia and up until the end of Thriller Bark. I kept asking "why doesn't Oda give him a win, what is he building towards?" I get the great drama with Luffy and know he looked impressive keeping Robin out of the gates of justice but like many others I wanted that 1on1 where Usopp was the only one who could handle the situation. It was like Oda was reading my mind when Peronah was introduced.

Poor Sanji, if it wasn't the fights that disappointed people it was Sanji's actions as a character. Here are a few things that just had people hating on Sanji since the skip. Things I was not only ok with but things hat I loved and approve of.

1-I loved that he bled for Viola and could sense her true feelings because of his strong affection for women. To me that was a clear sign of his developed CoO coupled with his craze for women. Very much how Otohime could sense the feelings of those around her, beyond just where and what they were doing in a combat situation.

2-I loved when he told those PH kids that he hated them. Good reason or not. I couldn't trust Sanji if he loved kids and loved being around them. Most of his life, Sanji was raised by a man who hated kids, it's only natural they would share a few tastes.

I like that he can't kick women. I like that he lusts after women. I just do. Now I actually think there may be a real story reason behind it. Like a fallen angel, cast out of heaven for lusting after the mortal women and then eventually becoming a devil of some sort.

3-I like that he had fun in Nami's body. I would have done the same thing. I'm glad Usopp and who ever else cheered him on.

4-I liked when he put razor blades in Zoro's food. And I enjoyed Robin laughing about it.

I didn't hate the super nose bleed on FI, but I certainly didn't like it. What can you do though? at least we got to learn about his rare blood type. A blood type in real life that people associate with smarter people, royal types and ancient beings that built the pyramids.

While I generally jump to the defense of any Straw Hat, I get why people are upset with certain characters sometimes. This year of Sanji has me convinced he has been portrayed with less highlights since the time skip to get us ready for our minds to be blown. Not being able to finish major fights is an issue and just gives the impression that he's falling behind, not that I believe that. But often times with fights Straw Hats do give these cool character building speeches that just increase everything about them ten fold. Let's just hope Nami and Robin can get some major combat love as well.

Oh and Veelk(that his/her name?), other characters have used abilities like Sanji's Diable Jambe. Luffy, Mariegold, Daruma and white beards cigar smokin' commander dude. There is a technique in the one piece world that allows one to light himself on fire and not be harmed. Like people using chi or ki in real life to smash cinder blocks and stuff, there are those in the world who can do these things, just look at North Korea's army, doesn't mean that every military or police force has the know how or even believes that such abilities exist. I've not only been witness to such things but I've felt the devastating affects first hand. All I hear from the know it alls is, why don't they do that in MMA or how come the army isn't taught that. The One Piece world is big and people stumble apon techniques one way or another that at first seem exclusive to that person. Kuro for instance was using an early form of Shave(soru) as confirmed by Oda. You'd think well why doesn't anyone else try to move that fast? Not only later on do we find that many others do use it, the government teaches it to many of their CP agents and its taught to Marines without devil fruit powers or Marines with Zoan abilities as probably some form of compensation for no ice/light/magma energy blasts.

Pause..we have another sanji stan in this thread!! My brother!! Well said! Its ok let them talk the year of sanji is upon us!!

Oda was just..
giphy.gif

Stirring the pot that will soon become an epic sanji dish

There has to be some quirk about Kaidou that we don't know yet. For someone who is so dangerous he managed to get defeated and captured a crazy number of times in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if he lost to the naughty boy supernova alliance but in losing we learn why he is also one of the most terrifying characters. Maybe something like the more you beat on him the more power he is able to use in attacks, like an impact dial. Like if you knock him out you better run to the other side of the world.

As for Sanji, I would not say that he is shown as being a weak character. In fact more than any other straw hat he is shown always as having his primary personality being strength. There is the nose bleed thing but that doesn't show him as being weak really.

The idea of the "monster trio" is not really the best way to look at the personalities of the characters. I wouldn't say that competition between Zoro and Sanji is really that important when you look at the what motivates the crew although the two do clash. The reason we need a focus on Sanji is because Sanji is like opposite of Usopp and we have had a strong focus on Usopps heroic qualities. Although I do think that it's good to spend time on Usopp because the audience of One Piece has a harder time seeing why Usopp is heroic compared to Sanji.

Really the character who needs the spotlight the most to remind people who important she is is Nami. Nami is the character who should be as important as Zoro. In a way it's kinda bad that they were called the swirly brows when Nami was the most senior one there.

Dimmle

Really the character who needs the spotlight the most to remind people who important she is is Nami. Nami is the character who should be as important as Zoro. In a way it's kinda bad that they were called the swirly brows when Nami was the most senior one there.

I wholeheartedly agree but Oda seems pretty intent on telling a Man's Story for Small Boys which apparently translates to "no women." Remember when Nami was a character, though?

Dugna

I think they were refered to as "Swirly brow pirates" not because a knock at any of crew there but more that the Minks were refering to them as such because they see strength as a status and out of all the crew members who landed on Zou Sanji had the most power.

RomanceDawn

Well Sanji is Luffy's left hand man, opposite of Zoro. From abilities, to themes and even artistic design, Zoro will parallel Silvers and Sanji will parallel Bronze(Scopper Gabin). Just look at where Zoro and Sanji stand during most spreads where the crew readies for battle.

There is no denying that Nami plays a very significant role and has been neglected a bit for a while but Luffy trusts Zoro and Sanji as the mates who look after the rest of the crew when he is gone or they are separated. Nami has know how and authority when making decisions and traveling but when it comes to being a leader and being able to function when ship hits the fan, in the absence of Luffy, that falls on Zoro and/or Sanji. Nami herself knows this and is the one who even gives the name Swirly Hats. It's not about seniority, it's about capability.

I will say though that Nami's navigating abilities have been downplayed a lot but I'd argue she has been doing her job very well. It's funny that 3.5 islands into the New World and not once did the crew get to use the new log pose and has completely relied on Vivre cards or Eternal Poses for all of them. Actually I shouldn't say completely because moving nation or not, Nami had the crew reach Zou in a day where Bart's crew along with an ex warlord and half the straw hats took 10 days or so. There was no big deal made out of that fact but I think that's a huge plus for her.

I'm now just waiting for that 1on1 to understand more about her super awesome abilities. I mean if given enough time and preparation what's to stop her from making massive hurricanes or creating a storm cloud massive enough to blast an entire island? She directs lightning now with the flick of her wrist for crying out loud. If it misses she can cause the stream of electricity to turn in mid air and follow its opponent. Granted these types of things are no good when teammates and innocent bystanders are around but I think her potential for destruction could in some cases rival Luffy. Of course that all depends on how big she can go with weather control.

IHaveIce

Banned
Nami will be the one to make it even possible to reach Raftel, I think. The island will probably be on no log port, because it has no magnetic field ( I have some theories where it might be.)
She will add the signs and point to where it could be.

That will be her biggest moment in the series

There has to be some quirk about Kaidou that we don't know yet. For someone who is so dangerous he managed to get defeated and captured a crazy number of times in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if he lost to the naughty boy supernova alliance but in losing we learn why he is also one of the most terrifying characters. Maybe something like the more you beat on him the more power he is able to use in attacks, like an impact dial. Like if you knock him out you better run to the other side of the world.
Yeah, I could dig this.

If we take into account the title of his debut chapter, "Suicide", and the fact that Kaido is constantly searching for a way to kill himself, I think we're in for an interesting character.

I see it like this. Kaido is tired of living for some reason we will learn soon. He's given up on fighting people because he can endure and survive everything that comes his way. It doesn't matter if he "loses" because he will never die. Only a select few in the world are capable of giving him a match where he can feel threatened, and one of those people were Whitebeard. Why else would Kaido try and stop Whitebeard from attacking Marineford? Because he knew Whitebeard was likely going to die, and he didn't want to lose someone who could drive away his boredom. Now that Whitebeard is dead, Kaido has been working with Doflamingo to create a massive SMILE army to start "the biggest war the world has ever seen". I'm assuming this means he wants to go after the World Government and see what they're made of.

So I think the scariest part about Kaido will be his endurance. You can kick his ass but he will continue to get back up, assuming you can survive his attacks in the first place. We got a taste of this with Jack, who the Minks fought for five fucking days straight. I think this monstrous endurance will be a trait with the upper fighters of the Hundred Beasts Pirates.

If you watch One-Punch man, think of Kaido like Saitama. He's so strong that he's apathetic and willing to let people have a go at him because he knows they can't hurt him anyway.

Well Sanji is Luffy's left hand man, opposite of Zoro. From abilities, to themes and even artistic design, Zoro will parallel Silvers and Sanji will parallel Bronze(Scopper Gabin). Just look at where Zoro and Sanji stand during most spreads where the crew readies for battle.

There is no denying that Nami plays a very significant role and has been neglected a bit for a while but Luffy trusts Zoro and Sanji as the mates who look after the rest of the crew when he is gone or they are separated. Nami has know how and authority when making decisions and traveling but when it comes to being a leader and being able to function when ship hits the fan, in the absence of Luffy, that falls on Zoro and/or Sanji. Nami herself knows this and is the one who even gives the name Swirly Hats. It's not about seniority, it's about capability.

I will say though that Nami's navigating abilities have been downplayed a lot but I'd argue she has been doing her job very well. It's funny that 3.5 islands into the New World and not once did the crew get to use the new log pose and has completely relied on Vivre cards or Eternal Poses for all of them. Actually I shouldn't say completely because moving nation or not, Nami had the crew reach Zou in a day where Bart's crew along with an ex warlord and half the straw hats took 10 days or so. There was no big deal made out of that fact but I think that's a huge plus for her.

I'm now just waiting for that 1on1 to understand more about her super awesome abilities. I mean if given enough time and preparation what's to stop her from making massive hurricanes or creating a storm cloud massive enough to blast an entire island? She directs lightning now with the flick of her wrist for crying out loud. If it misses she can cause the stream of electricity to turn in mid air and follow its opponent. Granted these types of things are no good when teammates and innocent bystanders are around but I think her potential for destruction could in some cases rival Luffy. Of course that all depends on how big she can go with weather control.

It's a little complicated because Nami and Zoro are the leaders when it comes to making decisions. Zoro is a leader who makes clear that backing down from certain decisions isn't something that can be allowed because of honour or whatever. Nami is the leader who can actually use her head to work out what is intelligent to do even though she is mostly ignored. Sanji isn't a leader like that exactly. But like that they are not right and left hand because don't just do what Luffy says. They are more like the people behind him than in front. Although the day Luffy listens to intelligent advice would be a strange one.

Sanji I can totally accept as being Luffy's left hand in that he can act as being like an enforcer. But I still think that his opposite is Usopp. The idea of having a right hand and a left hand being different is that one of them is the one that is hard and the other is the one that is soft. Like the hand that gives and the hand that takes. Sanji and Zoro are both hard characters which is maybe why they clash with each other.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm pretty sure urouge has that power. his quirk can be that he simply doesn't fight back if he deems you unworthy to take serious. like he would sit there and let the supernovas beat on him until they thought he was defeated. he would then just get up pretty much unhurt and leave like nothing happened.

I wholeheartedly agree but Oda seems pretty intent on telling a Man's Story for Small Boys which apparently translates to "no women." Remember when Nami was a character, though?

Just because she's been absent for two years doesn't negate her being a character in the story.
That's like saying Shanks and Teach aren't characters because they haven't made an appearance in forever.

Nami will be the one to make it even possible to reach Raftel, I think. The island will probably be on no log port, because it has no magnetic field ( I have some theories where it might be.)
She will add the signs and point to where it could be.

That will be her biggest moment in the series

Second biggest moment after she draws her world map.

Red Fire

Year of my boy Sanji. One of my favourite characters. Always doing the important things in the background and he's stronger than most people make him look.

YEAR OF THE BLACKLEG

i'm pretty sure urouge has that power. his quirk can be that he simply doesn't fight back if he deems you unworthy to take serious. like he would sit there and let the supernovas beat on him until they thought he was defeated. he would then just get up pretty much unhurt and leave like nothing happened.

I forgot about his power. But that's like the idea that people could think they have beaten Kaidou but he can just turn it around. Not like Luffy pushing himself to his limits but just some crazy power that means it doesn't matter at all that he was defeated.

smurfx

get some go again
those sanji chapters might be coming soon. the flashback of what jack did is pretty much done. there doesn't seem to be much to do right now so it would be a perfect time to show why sanji left and maybe show the aftermath of the kidd alliance's encounter with kaidou. that or show what happened with big mom.

Red Fire

Whoop whoop year of the blackleg!! Im expecting AT LEAST! 3 full chapter's of nothing but sanji goodness
YAAAASSSS!!! Go Sanji!!

those sanji chapters might be coming soon. the flashback of what jack did is pretty much done. there doesn't seem to be much to do right now so it would be a perfect time to show why sanji left and maybe show the aftermath of the kidd alliance's encounter with kaidou. that or show what happened with big mom.

That's what I thought too though i think there will be more on zou.

I still think there might be a poneglyph on zou. The island just screams poneglyph to me.

smurfx

get some go again
That or they'll know where to find one.
unless the minks have been told to give the poneglyph to a certain person how would this conversation even come about? i doubt we will get to know why those two dukes are so important right now. that revelation will most likely come towards the end. i wonder if there are some poneglyphs that roger missed.

unless the minks have been told to give the poneglyph to a certain person how would this conversation even come about? i doubt we will get to know why those two dukes are so important right now. that revelation will most likely come towards the end. i wonder if there are some poneglyphs that roger missed.
Yeah, I don't think the quest is going to veer into a Ponyglyph hunt if its off of Zou, gotta find Sanji and resolve the Samurai stuff first.

But yeah, I also think Zou's gotta have something for Robin to look at. Maybe it's in the forest hence the purpose of the guardians?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom