• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back dude,

As for the mob thing someone made an intetersting post on reddit. If you look back at the underworld brokers as they were shown in Punk Hazard, there's a guy with curly hair who is smoking with a glass of wine in every panel he's shown in (3 I think). Now since the manga is read right to left, the first object in the image placed is the glass of wine, and then the cigar/smoke.

Vinsmoke=Winesmoke, could he be related to the family?

Welcome back dude,

As for the mob thing someone made an intetersting post on reddit. If you look back at the underworld brokers as they were shown in Punk Hazard, there's a guy with curly hair who is smoking with a glass of wine in every panel he's shown in (3 I think). Now since the manga is read right to left, the first object in the image placed is the glass of wine, and then the cigar/smoke.

Leave it to cloud to always find stuff. Thats interesting and it makes more sense than him being royalty. I mean why would royalty want their son to be associated with pirates but a mob? O that makes perfect sense.

I was arguing with my lady last night about sanji's face as well, we were trying to decide if it was a what face? Or a wait how did they find me face. Because i mean if he doesn't remember his family or lost his memory isn't that similar to what just happened with sabo?

Luffy's dream is the only one given emphasis. There was a brief time during his Alabasta fight that Zoro talked about being the greatest swordsman but most of the dreams are background character info.

That's definitely not true. Most of them have been getting closer to their dreams. Usopp's lies have been coming true, Zoro trained with Mihawk, Sanji..., Nami is seeing (and presumably mapping) the world, Brooke really only wanted friends who aren't dead, Franky built a badass ship that'll continue to get better, Chopper has been learning medicine from tons of people, and the history of the world/poneglyphs are tied to Robin's dream

Leave it to cloud to always find stuff. Thats interesting and it makes more sense than him being royalty. I mean why would royalty want their son to be associated with pirates but a mob? O that makes perfect sense.

I was arguing with my lady last night about sanji's face as well, we were trying to decide if it was a what face? Or a wait how did they find me face. Because i mean if he doesn't remember his family or lost his memory isn't that similar to what just happened with sabo?
Lol yeah. On the other hand, though, I don't think it's impossible that nobles or even Celestial Dragons have people scanning the underworld for them. Royal-mobs could very well be a thing but if it's on the royal side then it'll basically just be a repeat of Sabo's story with him living with snobs and running away due to their lack of any human decency.

As for Sanji's face, I saw it as "holy shit my past" face. We know Sanji remembers his childhood from the Noland stuff that happened on Jaya. Besides this there's also "Mr.Prince" and a bunch of other foreshadowing like when Sanji took on Kuma and said "The marines might not think much of me now...but one day I'll be your greatest problem".

He definitely knows and has been trying to get away from it.

That's definitely not true. Most of them have been getting closer to their dreams. Usopp's lies have been coming true, Zoro trained with Mihawk, Sanji..., Nami is seeing (and presumably mapping) the world, Brooke really only wanted friends who aren't dead, Franky built a badass ship that'll continue to get better, Chopper has been learning medicine from tons of people, and the history of the world/poneglyphs are tied to Robin's dream

Exactly. Sanji is already an amazing cook, but his dream is to find All Blue which we haven't had any progress or hint towards at all besides the gag at Fishman Island.

Lol yeah. On the other hand, though, I don't think it's impossible that nobles or even Celestial Dragons have people scanning the underworld for them. Royal-mobs could very well be a thing but if it's on the royal side then it'll basically just be a repeat of Sabo's story with him living with snobs and running away due to their lack of any human decency.

As for Sanji's face, I saw it as "holy shit my past" face. We know Sanji remembers his childhood from the Noland stuff that happened on Jaya. Besides this there's also "Mr.Prince" and a bunch of other foreshadowing like when Sanji took on Kuma and said "The marines might not think much of me now...but one day I'll be your greatest problem".

He definitely knows and has been trying to get away from it.

Exactly. Sanji is already an amazing cook, but his dream is to find All Blue which we haven't had any progress or hint towards at all besides the gag at Fishman Island.
Damn if he knew all this time a certain someone on his crew will have his head for not saying he was royalty lol i can see it now. Also makes you wonder how all this will play out i mean will his bounty from this point forward always say only alive or will when all of this comes crashing down will it be the end of it?

So many questions like..

Why a cook? Why was he on a chef's ship?
Why cant his brothers get married instead? Why would he rather sacrifice his life and bis friends not to hit a women?

Man oda is the GOAT

Welcome back dude,

Speaking of Reddit someone pointed out the ship that Sanji was on as a kid had either a wine bottle or a beer bottle on the front of it. Just found it interesting.

Fucking ODAAAAA

Sanji's passenger ship, Orbit.
Orbit.png

Cover of chapter 56, the beginning of Sanji's flashback.

I'm not following.

Someone dumb this down for me.
Which parts its alot to take in. If your talking about the reddit posts than..

The ship sanji was on as a kid had a wine bottle on it his name is vinsmoke(vin=wine)

The cover page shows sanji riding on that thing with luggage while drinking wine, while luffy has to carry the animal like he was some sort of peasant. This coverpage was for sanjis back story.

Hmm safe to say that's maybe not just a regular passenger ship?? Maybe it belonged to his family. Man this is crazy!! Idk where he's going with this GODA
Could be, maybe they have passanger ships with rich types like a booze cruise? Maybe they smuggle shit that way too. As for Sanji, you would think his appearance would give his status away though. Who knows.
That cover page doh.
The best part is that it's the start of his flashback. Sanji's got a lot of stuff on the animal so maybe it represents him getting away and starting a new live like he's moving.
So many questions like..

Why a cook? Why was he on a chef's ship?
Why cant his brothers get married instead? Why would he rather sacrifice his life and bis friends not to hit a women?

Man oda is the GOAT
Gonna take a stab at it based on some stuff.

We know several things about Sanji. He likes women. He likes to cook. He hates wasting food.

Only one of these things was not explained in his backstory, his obsessive love of women. Imo the Vinesmoke flashback we will get for him will explore this trait. Did Sanji idolize his mother and she died? Was his family cruel towards women? Is the Vinesmoke family patriarchal and isolated from female influence? On one of the last color pages, Sanji is holding a canned drink that says "All women are g-".

All women are gifts? It would explain why Sanji loves women but at the same time will never strike one even if is life depends on it (Kalifa, for example). It's a mantra he lives by and we don't know why yet.

As for his brothers, maybe they are already married off?

I'm not following.

Someone dumb this down for me.

We're being over-analytical and looking at all the Wine and Smoke imagery involving Sanji that Oda has used in the past to see just how far back this all goes.

The "Vin" in Vinsmoke means "wine" in French.

Also keep in mind that all of Sanji's attacks are French-based and Oda has said that Sanji's nationality would be French if he were irl.

Could be, maybe they have passanger ships with rich types like a booze cruise? Maybe they smuggle shit that way too. As for Sanji, you would think his appearance would give his status away though. Who knows.

The best part is that it's the start of his flashback. Sanji's got a lot of stuff on the animal so maybe it represents him getting away and starting a new live like he's moving.

Gonna take a stab at it based on some stuff.

We know several things about Sanji. He likes women. He likes to cook. He hates wasting food.

Only one of these things was not explained in his backstory, his obsessive love of women. Imo the Vinesmoke flashback we will get for him will explore this trait. Did Sanji idolize his mother and she died? Was his family cruel towards women? Is the Vinesmoke family patriarchal and isolated from female influence? On one of the last color pages, Sanji is holding a canned drink that says "All women are g-".

All women are gifts? It would explain why Sanji loves women but at the same time will never strike one even if is life depends on it (Kalifa, for example). It's a mantra he lives by and we don't know why yet.

As for his brothers, maybe they are already married off?
This is my problem as well. No one knew who he was BUT thats gets me to thinking! Maybe hes not really from the north blue?? I mean think about it they traveled all around the first have and nobody recognized this guy. They get into the new world for a week and instantly he gets a new bounty increase of 100mil for doing absolutely nothing AND he's wanted only alive? Now for th bounty you could argue sure nami,chopper amd brook got a 50mil increase just because they are strawhats but sanji didn't he went up 100mil.

As far as the women go..maybe its not that his family was abusive to women but his father was abusive to his mother?

I'm excited to see how far this rabbit hole goes lol. Oda wouldn't put this much effort into Sanji's past for it not to be something big. Plus what seems all this foreshadowing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Which parts its alot to take in. If your talking about the reddit posts than..

The ship sanji was on as a kid had a wine bottle on it his name is vinsmoke(vin=wine)

The cover page shows sanji riding on that thing with luggage while drinking wine, while luffy has to carry the animal like he was some sort of peasant. This coverpage was for sanjis back story.

We're being over-analytical and looking at all the Wine and Smoke imagery involving Sanji that Oda has used in the past to see just how far back this all goes.

The "Vin" in Vinsmoke means "wine" in French.

Also keep in mind that all of Sanji's attacks are French-based and Oda has said that Sanji's nationality would be French if he were irl.

See didn't even realize vin was french, now it makes sense.

ahem...

OMG GODA!!!!!!!

I've defended Oda's designs before but Dressrosa is a real low point all around for designs. Gear Fourth, Trebol, Rebecca, Pica, Rebecca, Machvise, Jora, Rebecca, Senor Pink and Rebecca.

Just a lot of designs I look at and go "What the hell were you thinking with these ugly mother fuckers"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've defended Oda's designs before but Dressrosa is a real low point all around for designs. Gear Fourth, Trebol, Rebecca, Pica, Rebecca, Machvise, Jora, Rebecca, Senor Pink and Rebecca.

Just a lot of designs I look at and go "What the hell were you thinking with these ugly mother fuckers"

I'll give you Trebol, Machvise and Jora.
Senor Pink at least makes sense given his backstory
I like Pica's design, though Oda's explanation for his spiked shoulders is just baffling. It's in one of the SBS columns.

I like Senor Pink and I like his baby outfit because of the dumb way it meshes with his cool Casanova persona but at the end of the day its a fat dude in a baby outfit.

you-get-the-hell-out_medium.gif

Most of those designs are fine. It's Oda, bruh.

Bad how? Bad that he doesn't want to change the zany, silly nature of One Piece, which is the core of the manga?

Please go into detail why.

Well, there's Jora, Machvise and Trebol which are just not aesthetically appealing at all. It doesn't get much worse then a dude made out of snot, an incredibly hairy and fat man wearing a bag from a supermarket and someone who likes like an evil principal from a 90s cartoon.

Rebecca is the worst. Pretty much every single criticism about Oda's female characters rolled into one. Ridiculous outfit. Hourglass posture with J-cups. Is completely helpless, does nothing but cry.

Pica is a 20 foot tall guy who's head is the same size as a regular person. Look at Kuma or Moria, similarly giant people. Then look at Pica. Oh, and he has spikes coming out of his MASSIVE shoulders for some reason. To top it off, his legs are stubby as hell. He skipped leg day hardcore.

Gear Fourth is...well, I get what Oda was going for. A Raijin/Fujin kind of getup with Gorilla arms. But I don't like it at all. The entire point of Luffy's stature was him beating up dudes twice his size. Sure, Gear Third made one part of his body larger, but with Gear Fourth he turns into a massive Rob Liefeld character with a comically large belly and comically short legs. The saving grace here is that Gear Fourth likely has more forms.

There have been character designs I disliked before - I started out not liking Franky's timeskip body but grew to like it later. I also feel like its because Oda's art has weirdly gotten worse over time. Water 7-Thriller Bark was the peak, but recently Oda's paneling has gotten messy and unfocused.

Like stuff can look zany and silly without looking ugly as sin? All the admirals have great designs for a multitude of reasons but then you put them side by side with other characters and it makes me wonder how the same guy thought both of them up.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Does anyone have a link to that post pointing out the running gag of characters under estimating Luffy's new gear form, then proceeding to get their faces smashed in, with all the panels?

Well, there's Jora, Machvise and Trebol which are just not aesthetically appealing at all. It doesn't get much worse then a dude made out of snot, an incredibly hairy and fat man wearing a bag from a supermarket and someone who likes like an evil principal from a 90s cartoon.

If they're not appealing to you, that's fine. But Jora and Machvise don't look out-of-place compared to Lola, Mr. 4, Kumadori, Kiwi/Mizu, Apoo, etc.
Trebol is a character that's made to be as unlikeable and annoying as possible. Making him out of mucus is just a way of hammering home how unpleasant that guy is.

Rebecca is the worst. Pretty much every single criticism about Oda's female characters rolled into one. Ridiculous outfit. Hourglass posture with J-cups. Is completely helpless, does nothing but cry.

The last two sentences have nothing to do with character design.
Rebecca's figure doesn't look any different than 90% of the female characters.
While the outfit is ridiculous, chainmail bikinis are a common design trope. Let's not ignore that almost all the gladiators in Corrida Coliseum were wearing revealing clothing to have more bloodshed.

Pica is a 20 foot tall guy who's head is the same size as a regular person. Look at Kuma or Moria, similarly giant people. Then look at Pica. Oh, and he has spikes coming out of his MASSIVE shoulders for some reason. To top it off, his legs are stubby as hell. He skipped leg day hardcore.

So you don't have a problem with Kuma or Moria, but Pica is the one who crosses the line?
He's barely even half of their height. Moria has legit clown shoes. Kuma has a spotted bear hat and paw pads.

Gear Fourth is...well, I get what Oda was going for. A Raijin/Fujin kind of getup with Gorilla arms. But I don't like it at all. The entire point of Luffy's stature was him beating up dudes twice his size. Sure, Gear Third made one part of his body larger, but with Gear Fourth he turns into a massive Rob Liefeld character with a comically large belly and comically short legs. The saving grace here is that Gear Fourth likely has more forms.

Luffy doing something comical yet effective?

Did you forget Water Luffy? Idiot Luffy? Afro Luffy? Gum-Gum Ally Robot??

Like stuff can look zany and silly without looking ugly as sin? All the admirals have great designs for a multitude of reasons but then you put them side by side with other characters and it makes me wonder how the same guy thought both of them up.

U7Ghu2s.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom