• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RDawn might be able to point me in some direction here, but are there any theories on the logistics of devil fruits?
Like why you cant swin, why its a random power, etc. Are there any theories on why these fruits could have came about or are we too in the dark at this point?

RomanceDawn

RDawn might be able to point me in some direction here, but are there any theories on the logistics of devil fruits?
Like why you cant swin, why its a random power, etc. Are there any theories on why these fruits could have came about or are we too in the dark at this point?

For the most part everyone is totally in the dark but there are interesting facts given in the book we all try to explain. Not even a friend I have on the inside ever mentioned anything about it.

Facts:
- Oda did say a certain someone on the Grand Line would explain what Devil Fruits really are. Vegapunk obviously. So there must be some rhyme and reason to why they are how they are.
- Oda said there would be no super natural elements in One Piece besides Devil Fruits.
- The fruits do seem to be possessed by a spirit(?) that travels from fruit, to host, then to fruit again.
- Black Beard said that the Darkness Fruit chose him.
- Oda said he likes to give women fruits that would work well around the house. Let's not go there please. I bring this up for a good reason.
- Zoan fruits do contain some sort of DNA of the animal that they are based on. Something that Vegapunk discovered and was able to duplicate(more or less).
- Fake Zoan fruits grow on trees so there could be a very good chance that many of the fruits do start on some sort of plant before they leave and begin their infinite life cycle.
- The user is "hated" by the sea and becomes unable to swim. Though any standing water will do.
- The user gains an ability of the devil.
- Known Devil Fruits are documented in an encyclopedia.

So this is what I think but I've yet to make a hard conclusion like I did with my Sanji alien post. He is one and his family are aliens and that will tie into his whole story just watch!

-Davey Jones is said to be the sea devil. Since Devil Fruits are the only super natural force in the world maybe the ocean residing devil wants his devil abilities back when the user lands in the water? We'll have a story about Davey Jones some day but who knows if he will be the literal devil or if it will go this far...

-Black Beard spoke about the fruit choosing him. What if he really meant that literally? The guy who smokes 2 cigars ends up with a Smoke fruit. The guy who grows up in the perfect environment to be a doctor gets the Operation fruit. Even when I look at Luffy, rubber totally fits a guy like him. Now granted these are things Oda naturally chose while designing characters to fit with their themes, designs and so on but it would be an interesting way(after the fact of course lol) to explain why 3 girls who came from a culture that is highly involved with snakes would get 3 Snake themed fruits while far far away in a different nation.

You think about Pell and Chaka in Alabasta, Eneru believing he's God Thor, or the queer guy who dresses feminine and can look like anyone he wants and it's an interesting coincidence that ALMOST makes me believe that the fruits do try(they don't always succeed) to make their way into a person or animal that they see fit.

This is why I brought up the thing about Oda giving fruits to women that would work well around the house. Maybe there is something in Soru's personality that loves to make all things squeaky clean.

So thats one idea. Them being literal devils in spirit form. The other is that they are man made tools from the ancient kingdom. Used to just better the lives of the people.

I don't have much to base this on but I have heard it from time to time. On one hand, some devil fruits are just way too specific to modern living. Toys, soap, voodoo dolls and a few more are not something that would just exist in nature as we know it. Someone would have had to create that ability. On the other hand I uh... I don't really have anything else.

If Devil Fruits just came out of nature I don't know how Oda would explain certain fruits. I could get behind the actual devil watching humanity over the centuries and creating things that were influenced by the mortals.

Last thing is that Oda made a few jokes about the swirly patterns on devil fruits and Sanji's swirly eyebrows. I'm partially expecting the Vinsmoke family to have come from space and have some sort of connection with the fruits. A connection that maybe only Vegapunk is fully aware of. Mostly because of a combination of wanted alive, Oda saying sometimes he mistakes Sanji for a Devil Fruit, Sanji's eyebrows contain the same kind of energy as orbiting planets and all the allusions of Sanji being a devil himself.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All Blue is where the Devil/Devil Fruits originated.

Heard it here first.
I like the moon theory. This is cool too though.

Thank you sir, great write up.

Vegapunk is gonna have some epic bombs to drop for sure.

As for the fruit's origins, I think they almost certainly have some kind of deistic-like explanation along with Haki. I like the spirit theory you posted too, never thought of it like that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Does anyone have a happy origin? Just got to senor pinks.

Damn
Roger's origin story is pretty happy. Let's go on an adventure. Shanks too.

There's enough blanks to fill for that to change though.

Trickster

is it me or has the logia type fruits become weak with the introduction of Haki?

it's like it flipped and now Paramecia seems stronger (well depends on the paramecia obviously). Fujitora, Luffy and Doffy's DFs are super powerful.

Not really, Logia just went from bring virtually unbeatable to beatable, but still strong as fuck

Edit - Geez, this anime gear 4th fight is all over the place in terms of animation, great in some moments, then straight into stills or super cheap looking animation.

KageZero

Hm i stole it from another forum but someone from the chinese op forum noticed that big mom's jolly roger has a swirl on it Coincidence?
KDGNYqd.jpg

KageZero

Maybe, the Big Mom family and the Vinsmoke family are related. And Sanji is about to marry a cousin, that's why he was shocked.
I doubt it... After big mom was "introduced" in fishman island sanji didn't know anything about her, or at least it seemed that way. Even if he knew he had an arranged marriage i doubt he would have know who that would be.

KageZero

Most likely yes... But then again, sanji is a sweetie too :).
It was brought up and seemed interesting so i posted it here. But then again you never know with oda

SolVanderlyn

Is there a chapter this week?

Qurupeke

which could be a indicator that the bride is indeed a daughter by blood since the surname is also Charlotte

Oh my god. First Edward is Whitebeard's surname and not his name and now Charlotte is Big Mom's surname? Is Oda going for a certain motif with Yonkou?

Lunar15

Oh my god. First Edward is Whitebeard's surname and not his name and now Charlotte is Big Mom's surname? Is Oda going for a certain motif with Yonkou?

As in both Edward Teach and Charlotte De Berry were both famous pirates, a motif Oda's been using the whole series?

For the most part everyone is totally in the dark but there are interesting facts given in the book we all try to explain. Not even a friend I have on the inside ever mentioned anything about it.

Facts:

To add a couple of facts that I think are important.

Fruit normally grows on trees and trees often have mythical status in One Piece. The mythical tree that we seen the most of is Sunlight Tree Eve. From this we know that legendary trees can grow underwater in One Piece. The way that Eve acts as a life support system for Fishman island is very convenient.

The types of natural phenomena that I can think of in One Piece where you can expect unique properties for every example are Devil Fruits, Great Trees, and Sea Kings. From what we know no two Sea Kings have been shown to be similar enough to be family.

Lunar15

The one thing I hope for, in regards to devils fruits, is that oda doesn't over-explain them too much. I like the idea of just these cursed fruits existing on the sea. It's classic pirate-romance.

Qurupeke

As in both Edward Teach and Charlotte De Berry were both famous pirates, a motif Oda's been using the whole series?

Yeah, but their names are Edward and Charlotte, no Teach and Berry. The OP characters use these as surnames and they have their own names. It just seems a bit weird to me.

Dimmle

The one thing I hope for, in regards to devils fruits, is that oda doesn't over-explain them too much. I like the idea of just these cursed fruits existing on the sea. It's classic pirate-romance.

Wolbachia

RomanceDawn said:
Oda said he likes to give women fruits that would work well around the house. Let's not go there please. I bring this up for a good reason.

I loved your write-up but I have to go there. Did Oda seriously say this? In what context? When? Why...?

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Let's see....we have a fruit for growing flowers, one for washing, one for changing your weight...yikes. Then we have one for making spikes, becoming a mole or making toys. I'd say 50/50

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Let's see....we have a fruit for growing flowers, one for washing, one for changing your weight...yikes. Then we have one for making spikes, becoming a mole or making toys. I'd say 50/50

It wasn't a weight change fruit, Alvida had the slip slip fruit or whatever they called it. basically she could slip and slide on shit since it made her skin super smooth.

Yeah Sugar's fruit seems pretty specific.

Power that lets you turn people into toys AND let's other people magically forget about them so you can build an underground empire with cheap labor while removing dissenters.

RomanceDawn

Not to mention a laundry fruit...

I'm trying to find that SBS or interview, I remember it put a lot of people up in arms. Did not bother me personally though.

I want to say that I'm certain he didn't say he exclusively gives women only these types of fruits.

It wasn't a weight change fruit, Alvida had the slip slip fruit or whatever they called it. basically she could slip and slide on shit since it made her skin super smooth.
Think he was talking about the kilo kiko fruit. Either way still tons of fruits that negate that either way art art fruit(is that joras official fruit name) snow snow fruit,giro giro no mi(viola). that said no more on that for me lol i know where it will go

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How would turning people/things into stone "help"? Or turning into giant snakes? Or turning into a ghost? There's also the dwarf Bian who can turn into a Hornet.

How would turning people/things into stone "help"? Or turning into giant snakes? Or turning into a ghost? There's also the dwarf Bian who can turn into a Hornet.
I always wondered how did those snake fruits work? Were they just different species of snake? If so damn oda hit a gold mine with devil fruits with little to big abilities

BatDan

I always wondered how did those snake fruits work? Were they just different species of snake? If so damn oda hit a gold mine with devil fruits with little to big abilities

Yeah, they're different species of snake.
Sandersonia is an anaconda (and she want none unless you got buns hon) and Marigold is a king cobra

Not the only instance of different species.
There's two different Ox-Ox Fruits (Bison and Giraffe)
Three different Dog-Dog Fruits (Dachshund, Jackal, and Wolf)
Two different Elephant-Elephant Fruits (standard and Mammoth)
Two different Bug-Bug Fruits (Rhino Beetle and Hornet)
And even two different Human-Human Fruits (standard and Giant Buddha)

Yeah, they're different species of snake.
Sandersonia is an anaconda (and she want none unless you got buns hon) and Marigold is a king cobra
Lol o gosh.

I want to see a weather fruit. BuT! I dont wanna see it on like some op dude, the person should be nami level so i can see her knowledge of weather out smart the very person who can legit control weather it would be soooo good

Dimmle

Not to mention a laundry fruit...

I'm trying to find that SBS or interview, I remember it put a lot of people up in arms. Did not bother me personally though.

I want to say that I'm certain he didn't say he exclusively gives women only these types of fruits.

In any case, it doesn't seem like he's followed that rule consistently since then. I can't imagine construing Monet's power as a homemaking skill.

Wow, I forgot laundry fruit. I was thinking of the soap fruit. Of course I forgot some others. There enough to say I think there has been a theme of female character having super powers of housewives even if it's not every single one.

BatDan

Wow, I forgot laundry fruit. I was thinking of the soap fruit. Of course I forgot some others. There enough to say I think there has been a theme of female character having super powers of housewives even if it's not every single one.

Let's see...

Alvida's Smooth-Smooth Fruit. Makes her slippery (and lose weight). Not really helpful.
Ms. Valentine's Kilo-Kilo Fruit. Adjusts her weight in kilos. No.
Nico Robin's Flower-Flower Fruit. Makes her sprout any body part elsewhere like a flower. I guess she have all her arms do chores.
Miss Merry Christmas's Mole-Mole Fruit. Turns into a mole. No.
Miss Doublefinger's Spike-Spike Fruit. Creates spikes from her body. No.
Hina's Cage-Cage Fruit. Allows her body to trap anything she touches. ... Maybe to keep kids in line? That's a stretch.
Kalifa's Bubble-Bubble Fruit. Creates cleanliness bubbles. This one is obvious, keeps the house clean.
Perona's Hollow-Hollow Fruit. Turns into a ghost and creates different kinds of ghosts. No.
Jewelry Bonney's Fruit. Increases or decreases the age of herself and others. ... I guess she can stay forever young? Doesn't make sense when she can do it to others.
Boa Hancock's Love-Love Fruit. Turns people infatuated with her into stone, and can turn things to stone. No.
Boa Sandersonia's Snake-Snake Fruit: Anaconda Model. Turns into a snake. No.
Boa Marigold's Snake-Snake Fruit: King Cobra Model. Turns into a snake. No.
Tsuru's Wash-Wash Fruit. Turns anything into laundry. That's the most obvious.
Monet's Snow-Snow Fruit. Becomes snow. No.
Baby 5's Arms-Arms Fruit. Can turn into any weapon. No
Viola's Glare-Glare Fruit. Can see far distances, and can weaponize her tears. No.
Sugar's Hobby-Hobby Fruit. Can turn living creatures into toys, give them orders, and make everyone else forget about them. ... Clearly a y- No.
Jora's Art-Art Fruit. Turns anything into art in the eyes of the user. No.
Mansherry's Heal-Heal Fruit. Can heal. I guess she can heal kids, but that's such a universal concept.
Bian's Bug-Bug Fruit: Hornet Model. Can turn into a hornet. No.

Soooooooooooooo very few of these are actually useful for "being a good wife". Maybe Oda was trolling?

Let's see...

Alvida's Smooth-Smooth Fruit. Makes her slippery (and lose weight). Not really helpful.
Ms. Valentine's Kilo-Kilo Fruit. Adjusts her weight in kilos. No.
Nico Robin's Flower-Flower Fruit. Makes her sprout any body part elsewhere like a flower. I guess she have all her arms do chores.
Miss Merry Christmas's Mole-Mole Fruit. Turns into a mole. No.
Miss Doublefinger's Spike-Spike Fruit. Creates spikes from her body. No.
Hina's Cage-Cage Fruit. Allows her body to trap anything she touches. ... Maybe to keep kids in line? That's a stretch.
Kalifa's Bubble-Bubble Fruit. Creates cleanliness bubbles. This one is obvious, keeps the house clean.
Perona's Hollow-Hollow Fruit. Turns into a ghost and creates different kinds of ghosts. No.
Jewelry Bonney's Fruit. Increases or decreases the age of herself and others. ... I guess she can stay forever young? Doesn't make sense when she can do it to others.
Boa Hancock's Love-Love Fruit. Turns people infatuated with her into stone, and can turn things to stone. No.
Boa Sandersonia's Snake-Snake Fruit: Anaconda Model. Turns into a snake. No.
Boa Marigold's Snake-Snake Fruit: King Cobra Model. Turns into a snake. No.
Tsuru's Wash-Wash Fruit. Turns anything into laundry. That's the most obvious.
Monet's Snow-Snow Fruit. Becomes snow. No.
Baby 5's Arms-Arms Fruit. Can turn into any weapon. No
Viola's Glare-Glare Fruit. Can see far distances, and can weaponize her tears. No.
Sugar's Hobby-Hobby Fruit. Can turn living creatures into toys, give them orders, and make everyone else forget about them. ... Clearly a y- No.
Jora's Art-Art Fruit. Turns anything into art in the eyes of the user. No.
Mansherry's Heal-Heal Fruit. Can heal. I guess she can heal kids, but that's such a universal concept.
Bian's Bug-Bug Fruit: Hornet Model. Can turn into a hornet. No.

Soooooooooooooo very few of these are actually useful for "being a good wife". Maybe Oda was trolling?
If it came from an sbs im pretty sure 99% of the time he is lol. But im sure someone dedicated enough can find someway for all of that to fit into household work i guarantee it

SolVanderlyn

Bonney's fruit is so OP. Forget Law's, wouldn't Bonney's technically make you immortal way more efficiently, without restrictions?

BatDan

Bonney's fruit is so OP. Forget Law's, wouldn't Bonney's technically make you immortal way more efficiently, without restrictions?

There's probably a limit or drawback somewhere. It will probably be explored if she gets more focus.

Lunar15

I semi remember the quote and I really think it was something different, because I didn't bat an eye. I feel like I would have really remembered it and felt odd about it.

Could explain why she's wanted by the WG. But then again, it would make more sense for them to kill her and take her fruit, yet she's still alive.
I can see some drawbacks to her power being introduced, like the age change wears off after a point. If that's true, maybe Bonney is wanted for her ability to make older Celestial Dragons feel younger again or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom