• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Brook knows what's up. He'll probably drop one hell of an exposition dump next week involving the Vinsmokes.
They don't sound like Celestial Dragons, but they clearly have a lot of pull in the World Government.
Ooh, I'm getting all excited.
My thinking is that the blonde gorosei is the patriarch of the vinsmoke family. The gorosei appear to be at the top of the Navy chain of command, yet not bound by its institutional rules.

From their chat with Akainu, it almost sounds like the Gorosei are the Celestial Dragons' liaisons into the world government (although they act more like a board of directors, liaison is too weak a term).

Perhaps the Gorosei are all politically active dragons. While most dragons live carefree lives doing whatever the hell they want in isolation, the Gorosei are their power brokers who extend the dragons' reach into the navy, key economic institutions, and yes, the underworld and world of piracy. Or if not the dragons themselves, then powerful families who have bargained their way into seats of power under the guise of serving the dragons, but who secretly have their own ambitions.

daveo42

Banned
My thinking is that the blonde gorosei is the patriarch of the vinsmoke family. The gorosei appear to be at the top of the Navy chain of command, yet not bound by its institutional rules.

From their chat with Akainu, it almost sounds like the Gorosei are the Celestial Dragons' liaisons into the world government (although they act more like a board of directors, liaison is too weak a term).

Perhaps the Gorosei are all politically active dragons. While most dragons live carefree lives doing whatever the hell they want in isolation, the Gorosei are their power brokers who extend the dragons' reach into the navy, key economic institutions, and yes, the underworld and world of piracy. Or if not the dragons themselves, then powerful families who have bargained their way into seats of power under the guise of serving the dragons, but who secretly have their own ambitions.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd say it's a decent possibility. More info on why Sanji would have left will be pretty key, unless it was just because he wanted to find all blue instead of being groomed for a spot on the Gorosei or as some other head of state. I'm assuming it'll be a bit darker than that in the end.

Dandte

Why are people complaining about the anime so much? I don't think it has that many issues
I wasn't able to watch the because of the deformed nami, from the Start it took way to long Till the real stuff started and then the pacing was horrible and then there was this enoumous lack of quality. i only wanted to See g4 in action...i Hope this was the Standard quality and not a Highlight episode...

Why are people complaining about the anime so much? I don't think it has that many issues

People have been complaining about the anime for years. For well over a decade. The slower pacing that came after Skypiea has hampered the enjoyment factor for a lot of watchers.
Even when you marathon through it, it's still a slog to watch.
It doesn't help that the worthwhile episodes are few and far between.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
People complain about the Anime because the pacing begins to get bad around water 7/enies lobby, detrimental around impel down and marineford, and unbearable after the time skip.

I think everything from the crew being separated through marineford is only like 80 chapters in the Manga. Theres like 15 episode of luffy running towards ace on the platform alone.

mrmickfran

No one dies in OP except Ace and WB, and those are very rare exceptions.

Obviously during flashbacks it's different.
Monet and Vergo say hi... er not really.

We're probably going to get some Naruto level filler in the anime once Dressrosa is over.

People complain about the Anime because the pacing begins to get bad around water 7/enies lobby, detrimental around impel down and marineford, and unbearable after the time skip.

After Sabaody, the pacing has occasionally slowed down to one cover less than a chapter in an episode.

Sabaody Archipelago:
Manga Chapters:490-513, 24 chapters
Anime Episodes:385-405, 21 episodes

Amazon Lily:
Manga Chapters:514-524, 11 chapters
Anime Episodes:408-421, 14 episodes

Impel Down:
Manga Chapters:525-549, 25 chapters
Anime Episodes:422-425 and 430-452, 27 episodes

Marineford:
Manga Chapters:550-580, 31 chapters
Anime Episodes:457-489, 33 episodes

Post-War Arc:
Manga Chapters:581-597, 17 chapters
Anime Episodes:490-491 and 493-516, 26 episodes

Return to Sabaody:
Manga Chapters:598-602, 5 chapters
Anime Episodes:517-522, 6 episodes

Fishman Island:
Manga Chapters:603-653, 51 chapters
Anime Episodes:523-541 and 543-574, 51 episodes

Punk Hazard:
Manga Chapters:654-699, 46 chapters
Anime Episodes:579-589 and 591-625, 46 episodes

This is just ridiculous.

Syntsui

After Sabaody, the pacing has occasionally slowed down to one cover less than a chapter in an episode.

Sabaody Archipelago:
Manga Chapters:490-513, 24 chapters
Anime Episodes:385-405, 21 episodes

Amazon Lily:
Manga Chapters:514-524, 11 chapters
Anime Episodes:408-421, 14 episodes

Impel Down:
Manga Chapters:525-549, 25 chapters
Anime Episodes:422-425 and 430-452, 27 episodes

Marineford:
Manga Chapters:550-580, 31 chapters
Anime Episodes:457-489, 33 episodes

Post-War Arc:
Manga Chapters:581-597, 17 chapters
Anime Episodes:490-491 and 493-516, 26 episodes

Return to Sabaody:
Manga Chapters:598-602, 5 chapters
Anime Episodes:517-522, 6 episodes

Fishman Island:
Manga Chapters:603-653, 51 chapters
Anime Episodes:523-541 and 543-574, 51 episodes

Punk Hazard:
Manga Chapters:654-699, 46 chapters
Anime Episodes:579-589 and 591-625, 46 episodes

This is just ridiculous.

Its just too close to the manga. It's either this or fillers.

GG-Duo

In the span of one chapter
Sanji proclaimed luffy pirate king(love when the crew does it)

Admitted he knew along about his family

Managed to flip the situation into his favor so he wasn't a hostage after all(thank god)

Showed some good observation haki

Saved his crewmates

All while leaving a sanji style note haha

Wheres the one that called him a jobber again

Oh shit, I didn't realize this.

I love this theory.

Its just too close to the manga. It's either this or fillers.

Outside of a long break, the most tolerable solution would be a mixture of both (filler canon arcs inbetween canon arcs, slow pacing for short arcs).

But Toei doesn't like to do filler arcs that are longer than four episodes.

Reset

So I'm finally caught up with the latest chapter. The first two arcs (the fishman and giant kids) are horrible, easily the worst arcs from the entire series. But at least it picks up when they get to Dressrosa even though it kinda drags on.
-4th Gear is horrible, what an ugly design. Luffy should stick with the second gear.
-They did Sanji dirty, he's missing from at least 60 chapters in the Dressrosa arc.
-The new admiral seems like an idiot. Maybe I'm missing something, but why didn't he help out the innocent citizens when Luffy was fighting Doflamingo.

At least this newest arc seems to be focused on Sanji, so lets hope he get some spot light. Oh and the pretty boy pirate with split personality that was introduced in the last arc was pretty cool.

So I'm finally caught up with the latest chapter. The first two arcs (the fishman and giant kids) are horrible, easily the worst arcs from the entire series. But at least it picks up when they get to Dressrosa even though it kinda drags on.
-4th Gear is horrible, what an ugly design. Luffy should stick with the second gear.
-They did Sanji dirty, he's missing from at least 60 chapters in the Dressrosa arc.
-The new admiral seems like an idiot. Maybe I'm missing something, but why didn't he help out the innocent citizens when Luffy was fighting Doflamingo.

At least this newest arc seems to be focused on Sanji, so lets hope he get some spot light. Oh and the pretty boy pirate with split personality that was introduced in the last arc was pretty cool.
Fujitora did help the citizens. There are a number of panels where you can see him helping citizens flee from the bird cage or otherwise aid citizens. He just gambled on Luffy being able to beat Doflamingo himself to advance his agenda against the shichibukai (BY having them be something that the government could easily stop or control, his position would lose leverage)

Also 4th gear is incredible. In the first place, the reason Oda gave his main character rubber powers was stated to be so that there would always be a sense of goofiness to ease the tension of fights.

The anime is trash .
The pacing is very poor , the art and animation poor most eps .
lets not even talking about the amount of filler they add to every thing .
Used love watching the OP anime now i don''t even look at cool parts cause they fuck them up also .

I just realized Sanji's beard isn't the same color as his hair....which is he dying?

It would be funny if it were a little red beard from all the nosebleeds.

Red Fire

The anime is trash .
The pacing is very poor , the art and animation poor most eps .
lets not even talking about the amount of filler they add to every thing .
Used love watching the OP anime now i don''t even look at cool parts cause they fuck them up also .

I don't think so at all. My first time with one piece was the anime. Now i'm reading the manga and i still think the anime was pretty good.

- If you think about it, the anime has over 700 episodes. It will have well over 1000 by the end of OP. Of course there will be poorly animated episodes, animating costs money.

- if you compare OP to other animes (e.g. naruto) there really isn't that much filler. Sometimes the pacing might be dragging a bit but that's normal for long animes (again naruto or dragonball) and it is not too bad.

- they really don't fuck up the good parts though. The important moments are really well done, for example gear 2, boss fights like with rob lucci, the marineford war arc, moments like luffy punching the world noble etc. and not only those highlight moments, there is also good animation inbetween

Also the music in OP is goat and is really something i'm missing while reading the manga. The music was really adding that certain something

Squishy3

The issue is that when One Piece's quality is bad it's the lowest of the low, and it's partly because Toei likes to work on so many different shows at once even after they lost most of their talented key animators. So they swap what they have left around constantly.

I don't think so at all. My first time with one piece was the anime. Now i'm reading the manga and i still think the anime was pretty good.

Good for you but not others
- If you think about it, the anime has over 700 episodes. It will have well over 1000 by the end of OP. Of course there will be poorly animated episodes, animating costs money.

No the animation and art has drop in since water seven and gone downhill even more since then.
Just watch some of the early ep before then everyone notice this .
The over all quality since the early days have gone down a lot.

- if you compare OP to other animes (e.g. naruto) there really isn't that much filler. Sometimes the pacing might be dragging a bit but that's normal for long animes (again naruto or dragonball) and it is not too bad.

No it's full of filler how do you think they get one chapter to last 20 mins ?
The problem is unlike bleach and naruto they are in the ep them self so they can't be skip just like DB.
If the war arc was done in the early days of OP anime it would have been done in 10 ep max.
Since that arc was full of splash pages and shorter chapters .
Since water 7 we have been getting one chapter per ep and before then it used to be 2 or 3 .

- they really don't fuck up the good parts though. The important moments are really well done, for example gear 2, boss fights like with rob lucci, the marineford war arc, moments like luffy punching the tenryubito etc. and not only those highlight moments, there is also good animation inbetween

Gear 2 was done well but like i said things have gotten worst since then .
For eg the they now adding a whole bunch of nonsense to the fights to draw them out .
Just look at all the extra trash they add to gear 4 fight as a eg and there is many more eg of this.
In the manga don was getting his ass kick luffy was in total control .
Now instead in the anime it looks like a even fight with amount of stuff they add.
Not to mention how far they made python stretch lol

Also the music in OP is goat and is really something i'm missing while reading the manga. The music was really adding that certain something

The music is boring now to me .
The music we hear during the gear 4 fight is what we hear since the start of the anime .
Talk about being cheap .

Can confirm. I have brown hair but if I let a beard grow out it starts to turn reddish like my dad's side of the family

Yep have brown\black hair but if my beard grows out it's red .

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This red hair talk and the similarity in appearance between Sanji and Shanks has me thinking... we don't know Shanks' last name either.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Stabknife Shanks

Started my new job as a tier 3 chef(right below sou chef) and all i could think about was this arc so far lol. On my break i read the chapter twice!! Oda be putting in work.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Good for you but not others

In the manga don was getting his ass kick luffy was in total control .
Now instead in the anime it looks like a even fight with amount of stuff they add.

Luffy always gets his ass kicked in the anime.

Luffy vs Hody was pretty much one sided in the manga, in the anime he barely beats him.

SolVanderlyn

This is seriously the best One Piece has been since Water 7, IMO. Zou arc is amazing so far. All this Sanji stuff, Wano on the horizon, one of the Yonko finally entering the picture, the mystery with why Jack wanted to find Raizo so badly, the different type of storytelling, the setup with Burgess and the revolutionaries beforehand, Zou itself being this extremely fantastical place... it's all so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom