• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

wtf I didn't know there was a manga thread

I've been re-reading it from the beginning after finding out about the colour version and Oda is a fucking god. I can't believe how many of the threads relevant now were started so damn long ago right at the beginning.

I am so excited for this Sanji bit too after not seeing him for goddamn ever.

wtf I didn't know there was a manga thread

I've been re-reading it from the beginning after finding out about the colour version and Oda is a fucking god. I can't believe how many of the threads relevant now were started so damn long ago right at the beginning.

I am so excited for this Sanji bit too after not seeing him for goddamn ever.

We are two then. I also didn't know haha.

By the way, Zeff called the first half of the grand line as Paradise ages ago. Since we know it is a term from people that come from the New World, I think Zeff was a NW pirate. Now I'm pretty damn interested in what was his bounty. We will likely see him in the the upcoming flashback from Sanji journey from North Blue to East Blue.

Thursday's are super busy for me so I haven't been able to post my thoughts.

Overall it was a chapter that basically confirmed and reintroduced many things we had been speculating about for years. Must have been a mindblowing chapter for folks who totally forgot about that random conversation in Jaya that was brought back.

Giving Sanji some agency in his capture was fucking awesome. Ovservation Haki ftw. I'm surprised they let Capone go, didn't think Cat Vipee would stand for it. Also would have liked to get a little bit more of a hint regarding the Vinsmokes, though we might get that next chapter from Brook.

If Sanji was truly born in North Blue, then I don't think he can be a Celestial Dragon. Now that we know the person who influenced his wanted poster AND arranged this marriage are one and the same, this leads me to say that he could be the son of a Gorosei or some kind of of underworld family with incredible influence (more so than Doflamingo it seems, given Brooks reaction). Someone in the Vinesmokes wants to make an alliance with Big Mom, and this person has influence in the WG, vying to spread that influence amongst the New World pirates.

Sanji's smile was prettt sad :(
I think next chapter will end with the crew resolving to get him back.

Dimmle

This is seriously the best One Piece has been since Water 7, IMO. Zou arc is amazing so far. All this Sanji stuff, Wano on the horizon, one of the Yonko finally entering the picture, the mystery with why Jack wanted to find Raizo so badly, the different type of storytelling, the setup with Burgess and the revolutionaries beforehand, Zou itself being this extremely fantastical place... it's all so good.

Tempted to agree. I've had such a good time with just the last two chapters. Characters are colliding in unexpected ways, the humor is on point, new designs are so good.

Lunar15

Not to mention, it's the first strawhat focused plot point since Enies Lobby.

Sanji leaving is definitely shades of Robin in Water 7 and Nami in Arlong Park. Sure, it's oda's big trope, but god, it works so well.

smurfx

get some go again
so what happens if sanji ends up in deep shit and has to fight his way out? i know many don't think it will ever happen but what if he ends up eating a devil fruit? i'm sure his family likely has access to some fruits or he steals one from big mom. he could use a power up since i don't see his fighting skill keeping up with the kind of fighters that are yet to come.

so what happens if sanji ends up in deep shit and has to fight his way out? i know many don't think it will ever happen but what if he ends up eating a devil fruit? i'm sure his family likely has access to some fruits or he steals one from big mom. he could use a power up since i don't see his fighting skill keeping up with the kind of fighters that are yet to come.
No no no plz no devil fruit. He already stated he had no interest in one. I love his fighting style as is. I dont see why bad ass observation and armament haki with some fire mixed in isn't enough for big players tho

Dimmle

Not to mention, it's the first strawhat focused plot point since Enies Lobby.

Sanji leaving is definitely shades of Robin in Water 7 and Nami in Arlong Park. Sure, it's oda's big trope, but god, it works so well.

My only fear is that since this is Sanji instead of Nami, Robin, or Usopp, we're in for a deflation. The subplot could either improve his character drastically or reinforce the same lame tropes one expects with a Sanji beat.

Lunar15

My only fear is that since this is Sanji instead of Nami, Robin, or Usopp, we're in for a deflation. The subplot could either improve his character drastically or reinforce the same lame tropes one expects with a Sanji beat.

There's gonna be some comedic beats, but I think it's clear that whoever is backing Sanji is pretty important, and therefore is going to be tied to something larger. Sanji having to fight that kind of backstory will most likely be handled well, going by Oda's track record there.

Anyway, my favorite panel of the most recent chapter was when Sanji smiled as he left. Oda has had this weird thing where Zoro and Sanji are either grumpy badasses or complete goofs, and I feel like they've been missing some of their earlier, happier incarnations. I always remembered Sanji as being this weirdly happy go lucky guy who had bouts of passion, both angry and horny. I liked his characterization. That's kind of been lacking as it's either been one of the two passionate extremes. Him smiling reminds me of his original character.

ffdgh

And now I imagined sanji using various winks as attacks.
KuGsj.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There's gonna be some comedic beats, but I think it's clear that whoever is backing Sanji is pretty important, and therefore is going to be tied to something larger. Sanji having to fight that kind of backstory will most likely be handled well, going by Oda's track record there.

Anyway, my favorite panel of the most recent chapter was when Sanji smiled as he left. Oda has had this weird thing where Zoro and Sanji are either grumpy badasses or complete goofs, and I feel like they've been missing some of their earlier, happier incarnations. I always remembered Sanji as being this weirdly happy go lucky guy who had bouts of passion, both angry and horny. I liked his characterization. That's kind of been lacking as it's either been one of the two passionate extremes. Him smiling reminds me of his original character.
tumblr_mrt6vzI8Gj1stx4rqo1_500.png

One of my favorite Sanji moments. Up until that point he's been a total standoff or a total goof, like you said, but here he opens up to Luffy and his real self shines through.

smurfx

get some go again

One of my favorite Sanji moments. Up until that point he's been a total standoff or a total goof, like you said, but here he opens up to Luffy and his real self shines through.
that early pic of sanji just reminded me of gin. maybe he is one of big mom's top fighters? i doubt he will come back as a top pirate captain but i can see him being a top fighter for an emperor.

RomanceDawn

I actually expect some decent action while Sanji is away. Something that will make us go WOAH! I actually would love if Sanji and Jinbe teamed up to bust out there. But with the way the story works it's most likely going to take Luffy getting involved to completely settle the issues with Big Mom and the Vinsmokes. With Jinbe's crew tied to Big Mom as well there is almost no chance of Luffy not fixing that mess.

I could however see Sanji and Jinbe busting out and destroying folks along the way only to promise to return with the Straw Hat's and more allies to really settle things. They don't need a ship either. Sanji can fly and move in the water as fast as any Fishman.

Speaking of Blue Walk, I think that's the latest nail in the coffin of Sanji getting a Devil Fruit. I mean he never was but when the Flame Flame fruit was revealed the annoying predictions about Sanji needed it because his training wasn't enough was almost infuriating. Sanji likes to swim, we know he had no interest in any of them aside from the Clear Clear fruit and he didn't get an awesome water related power up just to lose it entirely before the story's end. Beyond all that though the balance that Oda has created with the main cast would just be really messed up if Oda gave him a fruit. We haven't gone 16+ years with a fruit less Sanji just so Oda could give him real magic powers. That goes for every Straw Hat.

That call back to Jaya this chapter blew my mind. I looked up that scene in the original volume and Sanji really does try to down play his history. Remember his threat to Kuma about being the most troublesome for the Marines? Well being Wanted Alive only and a son of the Vinsmokes could have been an early hint at what was to come!

Yes, now we're going to finally get some affirmation regarding Sanji's goals. Why does he want to be a pirate? Why does he follow Luffy?
There will definitely be a contrast between Luffy and Sanji's family. As Sanji says, Luffy doesn't roll over and listen to anyone which I think will be pretty obvious difference when we see the lives and people of the Vinesmoke family.
btw. can we talk about this gain:
Sanji is clearly reminded of someone when he looks at that pic. I don't think it's possible that he knows her, cuz the ship is pretty old right?
His Mom maybe? Not much to go on yet.

Lunar15

Yes, now we're going to finally get some affirmation regarding Sanji's goals. Why does he want to be a pirate? Why does he follow Luffy?

Eh, we already got these in his first flashback. I think this is one of those things where Oda didn't necessarily plan on going into this, but had all these background details cooked up just in case he found a good place for it.

It's like Sabo and that whole backstory: Sure, I think Oda had a lot of the details set up, but we actually already got 100% of Luffy's reasoning in his original flashback. Oda just saw a place where he could add additional things, but it was really just redundant.

Amazes me that sanji of all the straw hats would get focus so late in the game im so happy!!

Also if you go to places like reddit,orojackson so on people seem to be jumping on the sanji train nice to see the guy get some love

Lunar15

I'll totally be completely wrong, but I still view that whole thing on the ship in Jaya to be sanji expressing a bit of remorse over what happened on the ship, not necessarily connecting to anything in his backstory.

That said, it's the same arc where he brought up North Blue.

Chariot

Sanji is clearly reminded of someone when he looks at that pic. I don't think it's possible that he knows her, cuz the ship is pretty old right?
His Mom maybe? Not much to go on yet.
It might be a stretch, but maybe Sanji is related to the king or kingdom Noland was serving when he sailed to Jaya and that woma on the picture and whoever died in that room was related to him - maybe his family is even the descendants of that king with power and wealth and he didn't know it and only saw the resemblance of the woman in the picture with his own mother.

Or something like that. The ship could also not be that old and Sanjis original family sunk there and he just didn't care that much at that point since Jeff was more of a family to him than his family.

marmoka

Banned
All the people in that ship had been dead for decades, if I remember well. They could be his ancestors, but not much.

And Brook knows something about Sanji's past. Looks like this guy is much more than an 80-year-old crazy musician.

So many theories, probably a one year wait to know the truth.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
We might get insight into Brook's past, too. He's also from North Blue.

Edit: Wait, no he's not. Nvm. He's from West Blue.

Lunar15

All the people in that ship had been dead for decades, if I remember well. They could be his ancestors, but not much.

And Brook knows something about Sanji's past. Looks like this guy is much more than an 80-year-old crazy musician.

So many theories, probably a one year wait to know the truth.

It seems to me that Brook simply knows of the name "Vinsmoke", which it seems Capone does too. They're probably a big deal, and have been even since the time Brook was alive.

We might get insight into Brook's past, too. He's also from North Blue.

He's from West Blue, or at least the Rumbar Pirates were.

Known people from North Blue:

Sanji
Noland
Bellamy Pirates
Law
Basil Hawkins
X Drake
Donquixote Pirates (that's where they started at least)

Huh, I just realized that the strawhats have a member from every sea.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
All the this talk about the red line makes me wonder: why is there a physical barrier erected which almost makes direct passage between North and East Blue impossible? (As well as South and West)?

RomanceDawn

All the this talk about the red line makes me wonder: why is there a physical barrier erected which almost makes direct passage between North and East Blue impossible? (As well as South and West)?

A man made physical barrier? Are you referring to the Red Line itself or are you talking about something else?

It might be a stretch, but maybe Sanji is related to the king or kingdom Noland was serving when he sailed to Jaya and that woma on the picture and whoever died in that room was related to him - maybe his family is even the descendants of that king with power and wealth and he didn't know it and only saw the resemblance of the woman in the picture with his own mother.

Or something like that. The ship could also not be that old and Sanjis original family sunk there and he just didn't care that much at that point since Jeff was more of a family to him than his family.
Could explain why Sanji kept his mouth shut, but it must be more than that since he hasn't told them or hinted at being uncomfortable with his past throughout the whole series.
I would just assume that the ship reminded him of his home or former life in general.
Another question could be: what happens if the red line is destroyed and all the Blue seas are united? ;)

Eh, we already got these in his first flashback. I think this is one of those things where Oda didn't necessarily plan on going into this, but had all these background details cooked up just in case he found a good place for it.

It's like Sabo and that whole backstory: Sure, I think Oda had a lot of the details set up, but we actually already got 100% of Luffy's reasoning in his original flashback. Oda just saw a place where he could add additional things, but it was really just redundant.
I mean showing his goals through his actions in the present. Sanji has been one of the only characters in the crew that we haven't explicitly seen working towards his own dream. Time for him to get serious about his goals as an individual.

Cwarrior

The issue is that when One Piece's quality is bad it's the lowest of the low, and it's partly because Toei likes to work on so many different shows at once even after they lost most of their talented key animators. So they swap what they have left around constantly.

there most talented key animtors(katsumi ishizuka,ryo onishi,shida,yuki,takashino,shimanuka,hisada,urta,shintani,takeo ide) all still work at toei, even the there top 80s and 90s key animators.
[/quote]

Good for you but not others

No the animation and art has drop in since water seven and gone downhill even more since then.
Just watch some of the early ep before then everyone notice this .
The over all quality since the early days have gone down a lot.

all the later arcs have better animation then water seven especially the ones right after it like Thiller bark,soa bondy,amazon lilly,impel down and marine ford.

Gear 2 was done well but like i said things have gotten worst since then .
For eg the they now adding a whole bunch of nonsense to the fights to draw them out .
Just look at all the extra trash they add to gear 4 fight as a eg and there is many more eg of this.
In the manga don was getting his ass kick luffy was in total control .
Now instead in the anime it looks like a even fight with amount of stuff they add.
Not to mention how far they made python stretch lol

I have some news to break to you, nearly all your favorite anime fights from an adapations have extra stuff added in, an adapations rarely follows the fights panel for panel (if they didn't they would all be over in about 10 panels ), they wouldn't be much of a fight at all if they didn't take advantage of the moving visual medium.

The music is boring now to me .
The music we hear during the gear 4 fight is what we hear since the start of the anime .
Talk about being cheap .

the gear 4th transformation music was new music never used before, nearly every other episode in dress rosa has introduce new music that's never been used before, hell toei has released entire album of tracks they haven't even used yet that was produce for the show.

Cwarrior is the ultimate Toei stan. I think they could run a single frame of Luffy picking his nose for 20 minutes and he would still say how great it was
I don't understand how you can even defend Toei.

The animation is mostly shit, and inconsistent in quality.
The pacing is horrendous regarding the source material.

Besides the voice acting, there is nothing redeemable at all about it in my opinion. The common argument is that people like watching the characters move, which is a totally fair argument that I agree with, but I cringed all the way through the recent Gear 4 fight last episode. It just doesn't feel authentic to the manga whatsoever. The fights don't flow and too much attention is given to random fucking things like bystander reactions or establishing shots rather than the actual combat.

/rant

SolVanderlyn

The anime has good music and good voice acting. Also, color, although the colored manga chapters kind of defeat that particular strength.

It's also good for watching with other people.

My thinking is that the blonde gorosei is the patriarch of the vinsmoke family. The gorosei appear to be at the top of the Navy chain of command, yet not bound by its institutional rules.
this is what I was thinking and the thing that tipped me off was Sanji's remark that Capone's crew wouldn't even cuff him. People who know who he are apparently know that he's too important to harm or even touch, for some reason or another, and direct relation to a Gorosei would support that line of reasoning pretty well.

also I've said it before but Caesar is definitely going to join the crew. He'll renounce his bullshit while bro-ing up with Sanji and the rest of the crew during this upcoming Big Mom arc. Someone's gonna lay him down an ultimatum - you really want protection, well, the Straw Hats protect their own.

Firestorm

I think the anime is fine until the end of Saboady if you aren't going week to week. I usually recommend people start with it as the voice acting and music are stellar. I like starting with an anime before switching and most people I know are the same.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the anime is fine until the end of Saboady if you aren't going week to week. I usually recommend people start with it as the voice acting and music are stellar. I like starting with an anime before switching and most people I know are the same.

I'm a fairly big apologist but I'd say that the anime is unequivocally better until the end of Amazon Lily.

I'll totally be completely wrong, but I still view that whole thing on the ship in Jaya to be sanji expressing a bit of remorse over what happened on the ship, not necessarily connecting to anything in his backstory.

That said, it's the same arc where he brought up North Blue.

Oda doesn't forget. Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom