• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
I could be wrong but in the comic I do believe Zoro has never called Sanji by name. I'll look into book's version the scene you mentioned.

In a recent SBS someone noted how many nick names Sanji gave Zoro and vice versa. He then noted that while Sanji has said Zoro a few times, Zoro has never said Sanji. A part of me wonders if Oda even realized that about the two until it was pointed out to him. Zoro actually saying Sanji's name might be a defining moment in the series some day.
i hope it isn't at sanji's death. it will likely be at some life or death situation where zoro might need sanji to do something and he uses his name to show how serious he is.

mrmickfran

I could be wrong but in the comic I do believe Zoro has never called Sanji by name. I'll look into book's version the scene you mentioned.

In a recent SBS someone noted how many nick names Sanji gave Zoro and vice versa. He then noted that while Sanji has said Zoro a few times, Zoro has never said Sanji. A part of me wonders if Oda even realized that about the two until it was pointed out to him. Zoro actually saying Sanji's name might be a defining moment in the series some day.

It might've been anime exclusive. I'm checking the episodes right now.

mrmickfran

I FOUND IT!!!

Episode 287. If you wanna find the manga version, that episode covers chapter 402 & 403.

EDIT: It's also in the Japanese version.

GhostBed

I FOUND IT!!!

Episode 287. If you wanna find the manga version, that episode covers chapter 402 & 403.

EDIT: It's also in the Japanese version.

Hmmm, I found the manga page where it happens:

C3385139-1453692102244983large.jpg

This makes it a bit ambiguous as to whether Usopp or Zoro says it. My vote goes to Usopp since it would be hella weird for Zoro to break his streak of never saying Sanji's name at such a random moment.

mrmickfran

This makes it a bit ambiguous as to whether Usopp or Zoro says it. My vote goes to Usopp since it would be hella weird for Zoro to break his streak of never saying Sanji's name at such a random moment.

Interesting. I don't understand why they had Zoro say it in the anime then.

RomanceDawn

Interesting. I don't understand why they had Zoro say it in the anime then.

Wouldn't be the first time one character received another's dialogue when done in the anime. I'll have to ask some Japanese friends, I know there is different fonts used for different genders but maybe there is something that would indicate if it was Zoro or Usopp who said it.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

We would need the original Japanese as Viz tends to add in names for the sake of context.

GhostBed

We still haven't seen Jinbe do anything yet, even though we know he's on the move. I could see Jimbei confronting Big Mam over the Fishman Island incident when Sanji shows up. This would also be right around the time that Big Mam opens that treasure chest with a bomb in it, which will set off her rage towards Jimbei and Sanji and they'll have to fight their way out of it.

Sanji and Jimbei fighting together against Wadatsumi (who would also be with them when they meet Big Mam) was probably foreshadowing this. This would be a great way to give Jimbei a fast ticket back into the Straw Hat's business as well as still giving Sanji plenty of room to shine.

From what we've seen thus far, I'd say the two are roughly equal in strength, so we shouldn't see Jimbei one upping Sanji and taking the spotlight that he so desperately needs.

someone in the ap spoiler thread brought up that 'vin' is 'wine' in japanese french (corroborated by the fact that the ship that Sanji was on when Zeff attacked had a 2-story-tall bottle of wine as its figurehead...), and then someone else brought up 'wine steel' which was recently name-dropped and appears to be a coveted resource in the One Piece world. Dude suggested that Sanji's family might actually be storied weapons forgers with connections to the World Government, and that wine steel is the family's trademark forging material. And since Joker's out of the picture, what better way to procure new weapons than to establish close relations to premier weapons manufacturers?

(weapons... those fodder things that usually don't even matter amidst the DF-fueled conflicts of One Piece, but which Oda made a point of showing readers the impact of their dearth in the wake of Joker's defeat...)

Someone in the same thread brought up something else that I hadn't considered - Sanji's family knows that Sanji's alive, and they knew before his second bounty was issued, so either they recognized him from the ugly Duval fuckup wanted poster two years earlier, unlikely... or they were watching the streams from Punk Hazard. And who would be interested in watching something like that? Well, for one, competing weapon makers.

Makes too much sense. In the end, Big Mom gets weapons for her troops (or delicious inebriating weapons to eat), and revenge on the Straw Hats for fucking with her through the last three arcs.

GhostBed

someone in the ap spoiler thread brought up that 'vin' is 'wine' in japanese french (corroborated by the fact that the ship that Sanji was on when Zeff attacked had a 2-story-tall bottle of wine as its figurehead...), and then someone else brought up 'wine steel' which was recently name-dropped and appears to be a coveted resource in the One Piece world. Dude suggested that Sanji's family might actually be storied weapons forgers with connections to the World Government, and that wine steel is the family's trademark forging material. And since Joker's out of the picture, what better way to procure new weapons than to establish close relations to premier weapons manufacturers?

... or they were watching the streams from Punk Hazard. And who would be interested in watching something like that? Well, for one, competing weapon makers.

C3385139-1453954038103120large.jpg

Given the wine glass and the cigarette, it'd be this dude if anybody. Pretty interesting theory; would explain Sanji's presumably wealthy background pretty well. Also, I remembered while grazing thru Punk Hazard - did we ever figure out who threw that note at Chopper while he was spying on Caesar's lab?

C3385139-1453954038103120large.jpg

Given the wine glass and the cigarette, it'd be this dude if anybody. Pretty interesting theory; would explain Sanji's presumably wealthy background pretty well. Also, I remembered while grazing thru Punk Hazard - did we ever figure out who threw that note at Chopper while he was spying on Caesar's lab?

ayyy, the spoilers may have just validated your theory at least.

Hmm i usually like zoros speeches but im not to fond of this one. I know they're not cool but here he seemed alil to dickish. Im hoping theres more to it.

Syntsui

Well, apart from the reveal of who's Sanji's family is, seems kinda important to me?

Not really, most people thought they were dangerous, so being assassins doesn't strike as something surprising at all.

The most important thing about the chapter was Brook's reaction when Robin talked about the Vinsmoke, he knows details about them. But again, we already knew that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Great chapter - the Arc involving Big Mom and Sanjis family will be entertaining.

Not really, most people thought they were dangerous, so being assassins doesn't strike as something surprising at all.

The most important thing about the chapter was Brook's reaction when Robin talked about the Vinsmoke, he knows details about them. But again, we already knew that.
But most people immediately thought royalty of some kind,or aliens

Clegg

So Sanji is Killua now. I know it's unfair to compare manga, but assassin families will fall short for me in comparison to the Zoldyck's

Syntsui

So Sanji is Killua now. I know it's unfair to compare manga, but assassin families will fall short for me in comparison to the Zoldyck's

We know nothing about them, but yeah, it's hard to be more interesting than the best family in shonnen's history.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I never expected to see a Garfield reference in One Piece. Hopefully someone makes a Square Root edit with Nekomamushi.

Family of assassins. They must be dangerous if they have enough power to change Wanted Posters and arrange a marriage with the daughter of a pirate emperor.

Oh yeah, Pekoms can turn into a turtle, mentioned his power blocking half the shots.

Hmm could be the event the narrator hinted at when they all disbursed.
Yea first i was thinking end game but with mingos throne war speech, sanji being with big mom, kaido wanting to start a war AND hes going to want ceaser while at the same time go after the strawhats. Im expecting a 3-way deadlock.

ffdgh

Zoro is blunt as usual, That garfield reference, Chopper pulled a sanji, Nekomamushi is hilarious, and they're a family of assissins? Suddenly we're ace attorney /s

Zou continues to be entertaining.

KageZero

Still if they are assassin they would have to have a some kind of big connection with the WG to issue a only wanted poster. Could it be that they are still a nobility but have a underground business and thus have created such a big name for themselves both in the underground world and in the wg?

Choppers first love ? xD

This gets better and better.
The Red Wedding of One Piece shall start soon - Chaos will break.
Kaido/Big Mom - maybe Shanks will also join since he knows that Kaido is after luffy

Majukun

I don't know, I feel like a big part of One Piece's identity is its over the top, cartoonish nature. I don't think that would translate to live action well at all and we'd be left with a film that has a totally different tone to it.

they said the same about comic movies

just give the same amount of budget the marvel universe movies have to make a onepiece movie and you will se how good you can translate a fantasy cartoony world in live action.
the technology is here and has been for a while,both in make-up,practical effects and cg
Still if they are assassin they would have to have a some kind of big connection with the WG to issue a only wanted poster. Could it be that they are still a nobility but have a underground business and thus have created such a big name for themselves both in the underground world and in the wg?

why a noble family would dedicate themselves to assassination?
why would they work at all?

also,the only kind of people who can influence the WG to do something just by their "pure nobility" are the tenryuubito..a "simple" noble title doesn't have enough leverage..not fro what we have seen so far

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Also, I remembered while grazing thru Punk Hazard - did we ever figure out who threw that note at Chopper while he was spying on Caesar's lab?
It was almost assuredly Law. He wanted Cesaer to toss them outside and Chopper trying to save then would've ruined everything. Plus Law was the only one who was aware that Chopper was around there.

There's also a fan theory that it was really Monet who threw it but the rest of the story doesn't really support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom