• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you can move a Poneglyph, why does the world government not collect and lock them away?

Most that we see are hidden and protected by certain civilizations. Some were probably not since they were gathered in Ohara, and those are quite possibly the main ones that weren't too hard to find. So most of them probably are in government custody (Hence why Robin is so intent on finding the Rio poneglyph, since otherwise it'd be impossible to learn the full history)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
For real tho, this is the first time One Piece has had genuine mcguffins. The poneglyphs have always been around, but they were never targets actually sought out, just kinda fun things that popped up along the way. Now we've got a legit "four things to collect" in order to win the series.

For real tho, this is the first time One Piece has had genuine mcguffins. The poneglyphs have always been around, but they were never targets actually sought out, just kinda fun things that popped up along the way. Now we've got a legit "four things to collect" in order to win the series.

I mean, technically hasn't the real Mcguffin always been the One Piece treasure?

Disagree. They've always felt like incredibly important things - they tie into the Void Century and Raftel - the two most important plot lines in the series, and always have.

Lunar15

I'm not bothered because we're building a literal, giant "X Marks the Spot"

In terms of pirate themes, needing to find sea charts to unearth a treasure is pretty much right on the mark.

Anyway, given that the emperors have these Poneglyphs, why isn't Robin the #1 wanted person in the entire world? Her bounty should be the highest of anyone in the entire series. If she's dead or captured, no one finds One Piece.

Disagree. They've always felt like incredibly important things - they tie into the Void Century and Raftel - the two most important plot lines in the series, and always have.

They've been super important for the general lore and myth arc of the series, but they were never essential to Luffy's own quest until now is the point he was trying to make

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I mean, technically hasn't the real Mcguffin always been the One Piece treasure?

Well, KINDA.

They're important, sure. But no one in the crew but Robin gives a crap. And they've never actually driven the plot, or moved the Straw Hats in any direction. These red ones tho, totally different story.

Zatoth

All the ones we've seen so far are fairly well hidden.

Most that we see are hidden and protected by certain civilizations. Some were probably not since they were gathered in Ohara, and those are quite possibly the main ones that weren't too hard to find. So most of them probably are in government custody (Hence why Robin is so intent on finding the Rio poneglyph, since otherwise it'd be impossible to learn the full history)

Makes sense. I always assumed it is impossible to relocate them.

Because two of the Emperors have them, no one knows where the other is, and Zou is hard to track I assume.

Anyone notice he said that "none have laid eyes on Raftel for hundreds of years..." which means people had before Roger. Connected to the Void Century, confirmed.

This should be obvious given they made a map to Raftel in the first place.

Lunar15

Well, KINDA.

They're important, sure. But no one in the crew but Robin gives a crap. And they've never actually driven the plot, or moved the Straw Hats in any direction. These red ones tho, totally different story.

But that's a good thing? This ties all of those plots together. The Poneglyphs have ties to characters, civilizations, and even entire arcs. They're more than just a replaceable item. MacGuffins aren't an inherently bad thing, I'm not sure why the phrase gets thrown around like it does.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
But that's a good thing? This ties all of those plots together. Just because they have to find some incredibly important items that have ties to characters, civilizations, and plot relevations, doesn't mean that it's some useless thing. MacGuffins aren't an inherently bad thing in storytelling.

Oh, yeah. I never said it was a bad thing! Just that it's a thing.

Makes sense. I always assumed it is impossible to relocate them.
I mean, unless you believe Ohara just happened to have like 50 of them for some reason, it's pretty obvious they were gathered there by the scholars (I think it might even have been outright stated). And we saw Jinbe carrying a poneglyph with him in the cover min-arc recently as well

Big One

Banned
I'm still willing to bet that everyone's dream ties into getting to Raftel. I can't say how but it's a hunch I've got.
Here's how I see it:

Luffy - Explores the entire Grand Line, becomes Pirate King.
Zoro - Defeats greatest swordsman (may or may not be Mihawk) in the final arc.
Sanji - All blue located w/ Raftel.
Nami - With the search of the Road Poneglyphs, is able to map the entire world.
Chopper - Finds a cure for all diseases in Raftel.
Robin - Rio Poneglyph is in Raftel, true history is learned.
Franky - Creates technology to get to Raftel and surpasses Vegapunk.
Brook -
RAFTEL IS INSIDE REVERSE MOUNTAIN.
He reunites with Laboon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bet that, for whatever reason, Blackbeard will be able to read poneglyphs.

Also, with the two Yonkou having two of the red Poneglyphs, the ending of everything is pretty much taking shape.

However, first we're going to get no-so-stealth luffy on Whole Cake Island, bleh.

Black Beard loves leaving shit to chance if you think about his whole plan to get into Impel Down and later on during the Whitebeard War. He'll probably just guess where the island is using a limited amount of stolen information or something and show up for the final confrontation.

Lunar15

Oh, yeah. I never said it was a bad thing! Just that it's a thing.

I guess it's just kind of weird because I always viewed the Poneglyphs as a path that would lead to Raftel. Maybe not quite as literally as they are here, but Roger's carvings and Robin's own musings have always pointed towards this.

ElFly

I think they meant strength wise. I mean, Shanks might not even need the road poneglyphs, since as a part of Roger's crew he has presumably been to Raftel already (though I guess he might not actually know the coordinates). Having one road poneglyph without the others is fairly useless, and noone but Robin can read the poneglyphs, so being the current owner of one of the four is fairly meaningless. Plus I'm pretty sure these aren't public knowledge

I somehow doubt Shanks knows enough of the secrets to one piece, like Silver does and Oden prolly did; it would mean that Buggy could know them too. Even Crocus may have been kept in the dark.

Shanks could have overheard part of the secrets to Raftel tho. He prolly doesn't even know how to read the Road Poneglyphs (or what they say) and could have easily gotten his hands in one of the transcriptions.

Here's how I see it:

Luffy - Explores the entire Grand Line, becomes Pirate King.
Zoro - Defeats greatest swordsman (may or may not be Mihawk) in the final arc.
Sanji - All blue located w/ Raftel.
Nami - With the search of the Road Poneglyphs, is able to map the entire world.
Chopper - Finds a cure for all diseases in Raftel.
Robin - Rio Poneglyph is in Raftel, true history is learned.
Franky - Creates technology to get to Raftel and surpasses Vegapunk.
Brook -
RAFTEL IS INSIDE REVERSE MOUNTAIN.
He reunites with Laboon.
Brook wants to get to reverse mountain from the other side. Since otherwise he could've headed to see Laboon ages ago

Zeppu

Oden, being a noble from Wano, probably has extensive knowledge on how the Ponyglyphs were created, which is how Roger managed to carve a message into one in Skypeia.

Everything makes sense.

I suppose that a lot of the poneglyphs would have been moved if the people protecting them failed. If they found a random poneglyph in a public area in Dressrosa it would be weird.

wyFd7n8.png

killed me
Love it

Jigolo

Worried about Nico Robin?

Another save Robin arc incoming of the caliber of Water 7/ Enies Lobby?

I would kill for this.

Lunar15

I would kill for this.

Pretty sure the point of this gag was to say "We're not afraid for Robin anymore".

Not sure why you'd like them to re-tread a plot-beat like that.

I would kill for this.

wyFd7n8.png

Do you really need to go through that again? We're already in the beginning stages of a possible save Sanji arc.

Because Water7 is by far the best arc in one piece and something of that caliber again would be wonderful.

That's a strange way to spell Saboady Archipelago.

ONUWB8r.png

marmoka

Banned
After the eternal Dressrosa, that was a good arc, but not as much as I expected... I'M TOTALLY LOVING THIS ARC!!!

Each chapter is blowing my mind. Something quite relevant happens every day, and if you think one chapter has nothing important, the next one makes you consider you initial opinions.

Anyway, I don't know if the translation of Panda is that bad, but I didn't understand the following about the red Poneglyps. The other 3 are:
1 - In Cake Island, where Big Mom is.
2 - Kaido has the second
3 - Big Mom has the third.
I don't know if I missed something, but it seems Big Mom has two of them under her power. If so, that means they will decrypt both (3/4 of them) during the rescue of Sanji. This is starting to go faster than expected.

I cannot wait for the next week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After the eternal Dressrosa, that was a good arc, but not as much as I expected... I'M TOTALLY LOVING THIS ARC!!!

Each chapter is blowing my mind. Something quite relevant happens every day, and if you think one chapter has nothing important, the next one makes you consider you initial opinions.

Anyway, I don't know if the translation of Panda is that bad, but I didn't understand the following about the red Poneglyps. The other 3 are:
1 - In Cake Island, where Big Mom is.
2 - Kaido has the second
3 - Big Mom has the third.
I don't know if I missed something, but it seems Big Mom has two of them under her power. If so, that means they will decrypt 3 of them during the rescue of Sanji. This is starting to go faster than expected.

I cannot wait for the next week.

Big Mom has one of them. Kaido has another. The Minks have this one. The final one is lost.

convo

Of course that could just represent the four seas and Mariejois.

That specific scene still has that symbolism with the WG flag still, he(Rayleigh) revealed that they knew the secret to it all. The flag being shown right under his feet as he says so can't be unrelated. Also double meanings are possible as i said earlier a few pages back.

marmoka

Banned
Big Mom has one of them. Kaido has another. The Minks have this one. The final one is lost.

Thanks. Now it's quite clear for me.

Maybe Shanks, Dragon, or Blackbeard have the last one and they don't even know what it is for? Or do they? So many questions and mysteries here... Haha

It just dawned on me that copying the text on the poneglyphs is possibly going to be crucial for retrieving the location on the one Big Mom has.

If Sanji is on Whole Cake and he's informed about the red poneglyph somehow, then he could go into Mr. Prince stealth mode and make a copy while the wedding is going on. It most likely won't go as smoothly as mentioned, but we get to see more sneaky, covert Sanji.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That specific scene still has that symbolism with the WG flag still, he revealed that they knew the secret to it all. The flag being shown right under his feet as he says so can't be unrelated. Also double meanings are possible as i said earlier a few pages back.

I don't disagree at all, just bringing it up. Layers upon layers.

Jigolo

Save Sanji sounds dope if everyone goes not just Luffy (even tho prison break was good). Anyway I can't fucking wait for what's to come of One Piece now. The light is just barely beaming through the door but the end is now in sight.

4-5 more arcs + 2-3 mini arcs left I'd say

Wano arc
Big Mom arc aka save Sanji arc
WG arc
Something maybe BB arc
War 2 arc

2-3 Zou type arcs

10 more years folks

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It just dawned on me that copying the text on the poneglyphs is possibly going to be crucial for retrieving the location on the one Big Mom has.

If Sanji is on Whole Cake and he's informed about the red poneglyph somehow, then he could go into Mr. Prince stealth mode and make a copy while the wedding is going on. It most likely won't go as smoothly as mentioned, but we get to see more sneaky, covert Sanji.

This is definitely an option, but it would require someone other than Luffy go to get him. Nami for instance could totally conceive of such a plan, as could GOD USOPP, but not Luffy.

Save Sanji sounds dope if everyone goes not just Luffy (even tho prison break was good). Anyway I can't fucking wait for what's to come of One Piece now. The light is just barely beaming through the door but the end is now in sight.

4-5 more arcs + 2-3 mini arcs left I'd say

Wano arc
Big Mom arc aka save Sanji arc
WG arc
Something maybe BB arc
War 2 arc

2-3 Zou type arcs

10 more years folks

Save Sanji arc is definitely gonna come next. Zou is safe enough for Momo and the Samurai right now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is definitely an option, but it would require someone other than Luffy go to get him. Nami for instance could totally conceive of such a plan, as could GOD USOPP, but not Luffy.

Save Sanji arc is definitely gonna come next. Zou is safe enough for Momo and the Samurai right now.

Sanji might just run across the ponyglyph on his own and do it for the sake of doing it.

If only there was a certain someone who was also going to Whole Cake Island.

A certain someone who has business with Big Mom.

A certain someone who is adept at escaping via water.

A certain fish someone.

>.>

convo

All sorts of cool guys on Rogers' crew as if it wasn't clear already, i wouldn't be surprised if they went to literal space at some point just because they wanted to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sanji might just run across the ponyglyph on his own and do it for the sake of doing it.

"Maybe if I make a copy of this Robin will love me," said Sanji when he came across the Road Ponyglyph.

If only there was a certain someone who was also going to Whole Cake Island.

A certain someone who has business with Big Mom.

A certain someone who is adept at escaping via water.

A certain fish someone.

>.>

Jinbei/Sanji team-up arc confirmed.

Space is coming at some point. Whether it be actually going to Space or the Enel plot point coming back. In any case, the Moon has some tie to the Void Century and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Ponegylph there.

smurfx

get some go again
luffy vs jack!!! yaaaas please.
no! i think zoro has to step up to the big time and take out jack. luffy goes to wholecake island and creates some huge incident that embarrasses big mom and zoro takes out jack. suddenly both kaido and big mom are really after luffy and crew. although maybe pirates who are against both big mom and kaidou make an alliance with luffy. luffy's current alliance might start taking down the pirates who are allied with kaido and big mom.

smurfx

get some go again
So you guys don't think Jinbei has one of the road poneglyphs?
maybe the poneglyph jimbei has tells of where one might find that lost poneglyph. i like the idea of it being at elbaf. i definitely see them being guardians like the minks since they live for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom