• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostBed

She does have traits. She always thinks of the most morbid and dire situation whenever something goes wrong and also uncharacteristically loves cute things.

Yep. I'd also interpret her "blandness" as her being introverted. She doesn't speak much and doesn't draw much attention to herself because her hard life has taught her to keep to quiet. Watching her slowly change and embrace the crew's silliness has been excellent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Her character is a bit bland, compared, since she is the adult in the group and thus mostly being calm and content. She needs more silly stuff like her pity for the dragon, just more. Everyone in that crew is a freaking weirdo - except her. Give her some crazy trait

That's closer to her before Water Seven. After being saved she's grown a few new traits such as being almost utterly fearless, her love of things both cute and morbid and a few other little traits here and there.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Her character is a bit bland, compared, since she is the adult in the group and thus mostly being calm and content. She needs more silly stuff like her pity for the dragon, just more. Everyone in that crew is a freaking weirdo - except her. Give her some crazy trait

What do you mean except her? Have you seen her thought bubbles? :p

Funny you mention zoro because out of all by the strawhats he seems the most bland(after the timeskip) Robin on the other hand has greatly improved as time goes on as she suppose to its part of her character

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Robin is the biggest weirdo in the crew. Zoro is the blandest by far but still pretty good. The getting lost all the time thing is priceless.

I'd say it's probably more close to near 20 more years of content, even if Oda's editors don't want to admit it. Here's what I'm picturing:

Whole Cake Island arc/Germa 66 arc - Big Mom and Luffy initially clash, Sanji's dad betrays Big Mom and she teams up with Luffy to take him out.
Reverie arc - Kings from around the world and gather to discuss the state of the world. Seeds of an internal split in the WG are planted.
Wano arc - Luffy has an encounter with Kaidou, but ends up fighting the Shogun of Wano instead as the final villain of the arc.
Mariejois arc - Kaidou w/ crew heads off to Fishman Island after learning about Poseidon from Caribou. Big Mom wants to protect Fishman Island (as does Luffy) and they backtrack to it. Huge fight between Big Mom and Kaidou occurs on top of the Red Line, in the Holy Land of Mariejois. Luffy destroys the entire thing destroying Fishman Island to stop the war between the two Yonkou. Kaidou mysteriously disappears in the rubble, presumed dead.
Elbaf arc - Final Road Poneglyph location. Luffy encounters both Jack and Edward Weevil here for the first time (Jack and the Beanstalk analogy). Huge fantasy-based arc that will also be connected to the Giant Jack of Skypeia and the Treasure Tree Adam. Also inspired by Norse mythology hence the Viking-like braids on both Jack and Weevil.
Vegapunk arc - Luffy and co. need Vegapunk's help to get to Raftel due to complications. Vegapunk tells them the history of Devil Fruits and tells them the key to understanding how to get to Raftel is via the Moon.
Moon arc - They go to the Moon, encounter Eneru, and Luffy faces off against a One Piece version of Freeza and becomes Space Pirate King or something.
Return to Impel Down arc - Luffy returns to Earth, only for the entire Marines to surround him lead by Akainu. He gets captured and is scheduled for execution at Impel Down. Sabo comes up with a plan to break him out. They break out, and this time Luffy defeats Magellan.
Second Paramount War arc - Decisive war between Revolutionaries and Marines occurs here. All Revolutionary commanders are revealed, including Zoro's master being one of them. Revolutionaries win and take over Marine HQ, freeing the Strawhats. Also a split in the Marines lead by Fujitora occurs here.
Pirate's Island arc - Strawhats make a pitstop to the place Roger got dubbed the Pirate King that is said to be gained from winning a Davy Back Fight. Luffy encounters the Kidd Alliance here as well as Shanks, who is guarding or protecting something (maybe Roger's egg). Huge conflict occurs, and Kidd manages to kill Shanks. Luffy beats Kidd to a bloody pulp and the Kidd Alliance breaks apart. Blackbeard crashes the party, defeats a tired and bloodied Luffy taking the location of Raftel away from him as well as possibly whatever Shanks was guarding.
Raftel arc - Via intel (Aokiji) the Marines learn about the location of Raftel. Huge war erupts here between every party, and the true history is learned in an extensive flashback arc. Luffy defeats Akainu here.
Throne Wars arc - The conflict arises when Blackbeard declares himself to be Pirate King, discovering the One Piece before Luffy does. More Pirates from across the world get involved, including a returning Big Mom and Kaidou (the later was thought to be dead) to join the fray. Longest arc in the entire series and is the final battle to determine who becomes Pirate King. And of course, Luffy beats Blackbeard and obtains the One Piece.

And then after that the anime continues on and produces it's own, original arcs about Luffy's descendants, lolololo

Blackbeard finds One Piece before Luffy? What are you thinking? That would be terrible! We wait decades to see Luffy achieve his dream and find one piece and BB gets it first? HELL NO. Luffy and crew fight Blackbeard and crew when they arrive on Raftel for a final showdown and THEN Luffy and co find One Piece. You also forgot that Luffy will likely get a terminal disease and it's Chopper's job to save his life. I also don't expect One Piece to end when they finally get One Piece. I expect it to be a massive weapon and Luffy will lead the revolutionaries and all pirates against the WG and usher a new age.

I don't know why i feel Raftel isn't a desolated island and there will be 1 figure waiting for them, there, to explain shit.

I bet that's when we'll meet Vegapunk and we'll know finally the intricacies of Devil Fruits and how are they connected with everything.

So....

8Nku7HmT.jpg

Oden talking with Crocus?

My thoughts exactly

This outfit looks similar to the what the guy was wearing in Skypia.
301.png

Here's the color version though
tbff7lW.jpg

latest

smurfx

get some go again
Guys, who is the only major character who Roger would have trusted with the final Road Glyph if he didn't want a new world pirate to see it?
Garp
whitebeard would be a better choice. he would have the power to protect it and choose somebody worthy to give it to. we know for a fact that roger told whitebeard about the void century and the will of D. we do not know if roger ever told garp about it.

Welfare

I'm thinking Shanks has the final Road Glyph. It'll be what Shanks gives to Luffy in exchange for the Straw Hat, proving that Luffy is ready to be Pirate King.

Big One

Banned
Blackbeard finds One Piece before Luffy? What are you thinking? That would be terrible! We wait decades to see Luffy achieve his dream and find one piece and BB gets it first? HELL NO. Luffy and crew fight Blackbeard and crew when they arrive on Raftel for a final showdown and THEN Luffy and co find One Piece. You also forgot that Luffy will likely get a terminal disease and it's Chopper's job to save his life. I also don't expect One Piece to end when they finally get One Piece. I expect it to be a massive weapon and Luffy will lead the revolutionaries and all pirates against the WG and usher a new age.
Lol it could happen like that too. I just figured making it an uphill battle for Luffy and for Blackbeard to obtain it in a chickenshit way would make more sense for the climax of the series. Plus if One Piece turns out to be something that gievs you great power, it would make Blackbeard an even stronger final opponent I feel.

Why was Shanks hanging out in Garp's home port anyway? It appears that it was where Dragon was raised as well since he seemed familiar with it in the flashback. Thing could even be hidden on Dawn Island.

ElFly

If Shanks has the final one, then he is marked for death

Shanks has been marked for death since day one.

That said, I am surprised that both (Naruto spoilers I guess)
Kakashi and Iruka survived the Naruto manga.
so we could be surprised here.

Whatever Road Poneglyph is on the path they already covered, it can be recovered with a transcription of the same; I really doubt they will go backwards on the Grand Line, except maybe to destroy Fishman Island, but that probably will happen once they actually find the One Piece.

Why are Momosuke's retainers so weak, if we are to assume the best guys at Wano are freakin powerful.

We haven't seen any of them in a straight up fight yet, aside from Law beating Kinemon offscreen (but if they didn't know about Law's dissection powers, anyone could be caught by surprise and defeated in an instant).

Kreed

One Piece 818:

Definitely glad Oda held off on revealing what was on the Red Poneglyph until this chapter as the info dump was more than worth it, especially the Pirate King discussion. I was kind of hoping we'd be rid of the Samurai characters soon, although I guess when Luffy goes to rescue Sanji we will have a break from them for a couple of months. Still, the question remains on where the rest of the Straw Hats are going to go in the mean time. Will they wait somewhere for Luffy to return with Sanji or will they enter Wano country ahead of time to begin Law's plan to take down Kaidou? I'm still kind of hoping they'll all go with Luffy to keep the crew from splitting up, but with so much hype towards Kaidou, including this chapter, I just can't see them doing anything major against Big Mom right now other than sneaking Sanji out.

As for the last Poneglyph speculation, I'm going to take a guess and say either Dragon or Shanks has it and/or info to where it is, and Blackbeard will get it from one of them, giving Luffy even more reasons to take down Blackbeard.

Pretty sure that's Shiki from Strong World. We know he exists in the canon, and the colors and silhouette match up too

that's a good observation but I don't know if Crocus would be sharing Sake with him as if they are old friends.

Isn't there already a hidden Poneglyph in Impel Down?

Supposedly according to theories, the picture in the manga was vague & I saw the picture in the anime & it didn't look like one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It just occurred to me, but what if that thing Luffy gave Buggy in Impel Down, the treasure map in the armband, has a copy of the missing ponyglyph?

Kreed

One Piece 818:

Thinking a bit more about the chapter, I know I'm being too critical, but I'm hoping Oda will introduce an additional character or two who can read the Poneglyphs and/or characters who have other ways of figuring out what's on them without needing to read them. Robin finding out the history of the world by reading Poneglyphs was one thing and it was easier to accept Robin as being the sole person who could uncover the Void Century. But Robin essentially being the key to finding One Piece and not one pirate, especially Yonkou like Kaidou and Big Mom with enough knowledge and resources to know who she is, ever trying to come after her/leaving her with the Straw Hats this entire time seems like a big "blunder" for every pirate trying to become the Pirate King, especially considering what could have happened if Luffy failed to rescue her during Enes Lobby.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Doesn't that just lead to Captain John's treasure?

Inb4 Captain John had the last poneglyph.

That's what I'm thinking. What if that was his big treasure. Buggy obviously hasn't been able to use it yet, I think we'd know if he had been able to read the map. At some point between Roger reading the ponyglyph and now, it got lost to time. What if Captain John got his hands on it and then died before he was able to use it? That would also explain where it went. Right now we have a few options and no way to narrow it down.

One Piece 818:

Thinking a bit more about the chapter, I know I'm being too critical, but I'm hoping Oda will introduce an additional character or two who can read the Poneglyphs and/or characters who have other ways of figuring out what's on them without needing to read them. Robin finding out the history of the world by reading Poneglyphs was one thing and it was easier to accept Robin as being the sole person who could uncover the Void Century. But Robin essentially being the key to finding One Piece and not one pirate, especially Yonkou like Kaidou and Big Mom with enough knowledge and resources to know who she is, ever trying to come after her/leaving her with the Straw Hats this entire time seems like a big "blunder" for every pirate trying to become the Pirate King, especially considering what could have happened if Luffy failed to rescue her during Enes Lobby.

We don't know how many people realize those in Ohara could read them or when everyone figured out how Roger made it to Raftel. It could be a development from during the 2-year timeskip.

smurfx

get some go again
One Piece 818:

roger figured everything out without the help of anybody who could read the poneglyphs. perhaps hearing the voice of all things is something roger thought the next pirate king would have. i wonder how kaido and big mom found out what the red poneglyphs mean. did those poneglyphs also have guardians? maybe some on rogers crew talked or were tortured for information on one piece just like momo's dad.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
roger figured everything out without the help of anybody who could read the poneglyphs. perhaps hearing the voice of all things is something roger thought the next pirate king would have. i wonder how kaido and big mom found out what the red poneglyphs mean. did those poneglyphs also have guardians?

Could be someone from Whitebeard's crew let it slip after he died in an attempt to get in good with the Yonkou.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
roger figured everything out without the help of anybody who could read the poneglyphs. perhaps hearing the voice of all things is something roger thought the next pirate king would have. i wonder how kaido and big mom found out what the red poneglyphs mean. did those poneglyphs also have guardians? maybe some on rogers crew talked or were tortured for information on one piece just like momo's dad.

Oden traveled with Roger, and he could read them. All this time, there were actually two people who could read them, Oden and Robin. Only recently has that number dropped to one.

Now I dunno if he's the only reason Roger made it, but it's something to consider.

smurfx

get some go again
Oden traveled with Roger, and he could read them. All this time, there were actually two people who could read them, Oden and Robin. Only recently has that number dropped to one.

Now I dunno if he's the only reason Roger made it, but it's something to consider.
well the knowledge on how to write on the stones and how to decipher them was passed down but that doesn't mean he actually knew how to read them. we don't know the conditions for deciphering them. i can't imagine the people who had them create the poneglyphs would make it that easy to read them. same reason why they had them create 4 road poneglyphs to point them to raftel. they had to make a bunch of safeguards so the information wouldn't fall into the wrong hands

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
well the knowledge on how to write on the stones and how to decipher them was passed down but that doesn't mean he actually knew how to read them. we don't know the conditions for deciphering them. i can't imagine the people who had them create the poneglyphs would make it that easy to read them. same reason why they had them create 4 road poneglyphs to point them to raftel. they had to make a bunch of safeguards so the information wouldn't fall into the wrong hands

I dunno, they said it pretty plainly. RE: "do you know know what's written on em," "That knowledge was never passed on to future generations! The contents of the stone can only be made known by reading them! However, what was passed on was the means to read and write the ancient glyphs." No mention of a built in code or cipher or anything, just that the only reason they don't know what's written is that they haven't gone to them and read them.

The knowledge is passed down to only a single individual per generation, guarded within an extremely powerful nation that not even the World Government dares to mess with. There's no point in encoding a secret history on these blocks if no one also passes down the key, that's the role of the Kozuki Lord. Clearly Kaido had the necessary balls to invade, though only likely successful due to betrayal by the Shogun. This ability to read the language would only be valuable and worth pursuing if it would actually be applicable towards deciphering the poneglyphs.

So yeah, I wager Oden coulda read em same as Robin.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well Doflamingo saod he knows about the national treasure of Mariejoa, I fully expect it to be 1 Road poneglyph.

Maybe Doflamibgo was/is the one knowing where all are but just waited for the right time to strike; he built alliances with both emperors or even all underground pirates.

Kain

Well Doflamingo saod he knows about the national treasure of Mariejoa, I fully expect it to be 1 Road poneglyph.

Maybe Doflamibgo was/is the one knowing where all are but just waited for the right time to strike; he built alliances with both emperors or even all underground pirates.

Yep, I think the last Poneglyph is in the Marine's / WG possession. And Doflamingo wanted to get close to the Yonkous to get his dirty hands on them.

I'm expecting the next arc will be "Rescue Sanji and acquire the second Poneglyph while we are there!". Also, one of the two remaining Yonkous (I'm thinking BM) should become Luffy's ally so he can have two big guys at his side (Shanks and the other one).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Anyone have that gif of usopp, luffy, and choppers faces going "D:" lying around?

Wasn't it said before that Roger could read the Poneglyph because of the voice of all things and not because of book learning? That's why Robin could have a different insight into them.

My theory is that Momo and Oden's family have the ability to hear the voice of all things. And that the people who cut the poneglyphs, his retainers, have the ability to hear the breath of all things like Zoro. The only thing I have to back this up is how shocked the Samurai were when they saw Zoro's big attack in Dressrosa. He was using their secret clan technique.

It seems the Yonko are really trying to step up their alliance gang in this new era.

Kaido is with Wano and Big Mom has the Vinsmoke family. Shanks so far hasn't been shown to be allied with anyone although I wouldn't put it past him to end up allies with the the remaining Whitebeard pirates. Blackbeard is with Aokiji right now.

I have a feeling Blackbeard is gonna try and partner up with the Revolutionaries in order to get more power at this point.

smurfx

get some go again
It seems the Yonko are really trying to step up their alliance gang in this new era.

Kaido is with Wano and Big Mom has the Vinsmoke family. Shanks so far hasn't been shown to be allied with anyone although I wouldn't put it past him to end up allies with the the remaining Whitebeard pirates. Blackbeard is with Aokiji right now.

I have a feeling Blackbeard is gonna try and partner up with the Revolutionaries in order to get more power at this point.
yeah blackbeard seems to be the one maybe falling behind. don't know why dragon would team up with him though. the revolutionaries don't really have much to gain by getting involved with pirates. maybe blackbeard wants the emperors to go to war so he can step in at an opportune time and wipe them out. perhaps the one blackbeard teams up with is akainu. i know it sounds crazy but akainu seems like he might be up for it if it meant taking down another emperor and extending his power further into the new world. aokiji might even be the one that helps set up this alliance.

yeah blackbeard seems to be the one maybe falling behind. don't know why dragon would team up with him though. the revolutionaries don't really have much to gain by getting involved with pirates. maybe blackbeard wants the emperors to go to war so he can step in at an opportune time and wipe them out. perhaps the one blackbeard teams up with is akainu. i know it sounds crazy but akainu seems like he might be up for it if it meant taking down another emperor and extending his power further into the new world.

I have a feeling Blackbeard wants to manipulate the Revolutionaries into attacking another Yonko or the World Government itself. He'll probably blackmail them with the Revolutinary HQ location. I honestly don't see Akainu working with pirates though. He's fine with manipulating but I feel his pride would prevent him from even thinking of siding with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom