• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

I think I'm the only one left in the world who calls all those things planets and not moons.

I am open to the possibility that those are indeed moons but we've never seen more than one at a time and I'm certain that's just a model of the solar system. There are 2 types of model solar systems I'm aware of and the one seen in One Piece is the type that you rarely see in media or science projects. It's called a geocentric model and it has the earth as its center as opposed to the sun.

If those are all moons I'd actually like that quite a bit. The story behind why they are presumedly no longer around would be epic.

BHK3

Banned
Very interesting to see that if those are all moons, one them has a sub satellite, or it's own moon. The sphere on the right has a smaller sphere sticking out of it, so I think this is more of a system type of display.

Majukun

So Robin will teach the kid how to read? Who will teach him how to make the stones?
well, teaching him how to write Nd read the language will be basically how to make a huge bullseye on him, even more than he already has.. I doubt that robin, counting what chilhood she had, wants that.
also, he doesn't really need to make new poneglyphs, so he doesn't need to know how to make them really

about the planetary, those are clearly not moons, for the simple fact that we always only seen one on the sky since the entire series started.. if there were that much orbiting around, we would have seen them.

Also, I'm. not really sure Oda put as much thought in it as fans focus around it.

well, teaching him how to write Nd read the language will be basically how to make a huge bullseye on him, even more than he already has.. I doubt that robin, counting what chilhood she had, wants that.
also, he doesn't really need to make new poneglyphs, so he doesn't need to know how to make them really

about the planetary, those are clearly not moons, for the simple fact that we always only seen one on the sky since the entire series started.. if there were that much orbiting around, we would have seen them.

Also, I'm. not really sure Oda put as much thought in it as fans focus around it.

Maybe, but that's his father's legacy.

Skidd

Anyone else think that the Poneglyphs in Alabasta bear any significance to the overall story? The Straw hats find one by accident in the desert (in the anime at least) but pay no real attention to it because they (and the viewer) don't know what it is yet. Now that I look back at that scene, the way everything was framed etc certainly made it seem important. Could it actually be significant or was it just foreshadowing?

Yclpoyj.png

(I just want them to go back there for some reason)

Then, what about the one Jinbei found and presumably has with him atm? Guess we'll know in 10 years.

marmoka

Banned
Anyone else think that the Poneglyphs in Alabasta bear any significance to the overall story? The Straw hats find one by accident in the desert (in the anime at least) but pay no real attention to it because they (and the viewer) don't know what it is yet. Now that I look back at that scene, the way everything was framed etc certainly made it seem important. Could it actually be significant or was it just foreshadowing?

Yclpoyj.png

(I just want them to go back there for some reason)

Then, what about the one Jinbei found and presumably has with him atm? Guess we'll know in 10 years.

That Poneglyph is just Toei crap. Never happened in the manga. I got shocked the second time I saw that episode. The poneglyph ends under the sand and lost forever. I had to check in the internet if this was canon or not. Thank Oda it isn't.

Anteater

I sometimes wonder why they add extra bullshit in anime, or just change minor stuff just for the sake of changing them, and they know it'll always come back and bite them in the ass

Okay, thoughts!

Are we doing Big Mom or Kaido first? Or is the team splitting up?

#Teambigmom

They're probably not going to actually fight Kaido first without Sanji, who's going to make lunch boxes for them?

I don't think they'll fight big mom soon either, but they'll deal with Sanji first because lunch boxes

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I thought Eneru could breathe in space because he's made of lightning and lightning can exist in space?

I think I'm the only one left in the world who calls all those things planets and not moons.

I am open to the possibility that those are indeed moons but we've never seen more than one at a time and I'm certain that's just a model of the solar system. There are 2 types of model solar systems I'm aware of and the one seen in One Piece is the type that you rarely see in media or science projects. It's called a geocentric model and it has the earth as its center as opposed to the sun.

If those are all moons I'd actually like that quite a bit. The story behind why they are presumedly no longer around would be epic.

Yeah I'm unsure if they are moons as well, because I think Enel said he was going to The Moon not a moon

They're revolving around another celestial body that isn't a star. By definition they're moons

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All signs so far point to Big Mom being first, although I wouldn't be surprised if Kaido did something huge in the middle of the Big Mom arc. Kaido is literally unkillable, so I'm betting they don't even defeat him. Maybe he'll get launched into space a la Kars from JoJo. I dunno.

I wanna know what's up with shanks. Whats his deal? He doesn't seem to wanna be pirate king. Kaido and bigmom seem to be prepping for war.
Blackbeard is collecting devil fruits and territory. So whats shanks plan here? Did roger give him a specific task maybe? Does he not care about being pk?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wanna know what's up with shanks. Whats his deal? He doesn't seem to wanna be pirate king. Kaido and bigmom seem to be prepping for war.
Blackbeard is collecting devil fruits and territory. So whats shanks plan here? Did roger give him a specific task maybe? Does he not care about being pk?
I was just going to say, I see him entering the picture very soon. Kid's alliance is after him and they just came across Kaido, so my personal prediction is that they will team up to take him down. Luffy and co. may not even interact with Kaido - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Shanks who did most of the fighting. We might also learn more about why he's a pirate, why he isn't going after One Piece, what his history is and how he fights.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Okay, thoughts!

Are we doing Big Mom or Kaido first? Or is the team splitting up?

#Teambigmom

I sometimes wonder why they add extra bullshit in anime, or just change minor stuff just for the sake of changing them, and they know it'll always come back and bite them in the ass

They're probably not going to actually fight Kaido first without Sanji, who's going to make lunch boxes for them?

I don't think they'll fight big mom soon either, but they'll deal with Sanji first because lunch boxes

Yeah gotta be Big Mom first, this is supposedly the year of Sanji would be odd to have him missing the entire time.

I'm kinda curious how Oda is going to do this if he goes Big Mom right into Kaido that seems like two gigantic arcs with no real downtime...although he did go Impel Down to the War of the Best so it's possible.

RomanceDawn

They're revolving around another celestial body that isn't a star. By definition they're moons

Once more, look up geocentric model of the solar system.

Not every model has the sun at its center of orbit.

With our real world geocentric model, I'm not sure if our other planets are then classified as moons, if they are because of some technical definition it doesn't change the fact that they are their own planets and don't function like our one and only moon.

But it's apparently a very old way of defining the solar system because long ago people thought the earth was the center of the universe. This fits with well with One Piece.

You've read 818 chapters of One Piece and you think a major villain who was given a cover story isn't going to come back?

There's an obsession with Enel, tbh. My impressions from the end of Skypiea is that he loses his mind, and on the cover story we found that he "fulfilled his dream" with the nice addition of cute alien thingies. It actually scares me, because i really don't think Oda can handle the space shit in this world of one piece, it doesn't even make sense that the guy reached the moon.

And not every cover story has been relevant, tbh. I doubt the half of baroque works we saw on their cover story is even coming back or be remembered again.

Meh, i really hope he doesn't come back, though in that last picture he has a damn alien army.

RomanceDawn

There's an obsession with Enel, tbh. My impressions from the end of Skypiea is that he loses his mind, and on the cover story we found that he "fulfilled his dream" with the nice addition of cute alien thingies. It actually scares me, because i really don't think Oda can handle the space shit in this world of one piece, it doesn't even make sense that the guy reached the moon.

And not every cover story has been relevant, tbh. I doubt the half of baroque works we saw on their cover story is even coming back or be remembered again.

Meh, i really hope he doesn't come back, though in that last picture he has a damn alien army.

There is a good chance we see the rest of them in the future, if just for a cameo. This is Oda, he rarely forgets.

And almost every cover story has been relevant to the main story moving forward. Even if just a little bit. It's been nearly 20 years and we haven't seen Morgan again or what became of Gedatsu's hot springs but you just wait, Kobi will have a defining moment with Morgan and Gedstsu is liable to stupidly stumble upon Pluton in Alabasta.

The ones that have not been relevant, well it just isn't time yet.

There is a good chance we see the rest of them in the future, if just for a cameo. This is Oda, he rarely forgets.

And almost every cover story has been relevant to the main story moving forward. Even if just a little bit. It's been nearly 20 years and we haven't seen Morgan again or what became of Gedatsu's hot springs but you just wait, Kobi will have a defining moment with Morgan and Gedstsu is liable to stupidly stumble upon Pluton in Alabasta.

I believe Oda gave closure to the Baroque Works members we saw there, for example. Not every character is required to "come back".

Regarding Enel, i thought the end he had on the manga was perfect. The cover story wasn't really needed IMO, and it'd have been better if we never actually knew if he got to the moon or not. But you know, Aliens.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I remember when everyone was laughing at Enel wanting to go to the moon when he said it in Skypiea.

Then the cover story came :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Guys I'm... not saying I don't consider it canon. I'm just saying it's silly. I am well aware of how One Piece works. Yikes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Finally caught up with the anime and its actually been pretty good since around episode 700. Really like how they handled all of the fights.

Morgan being Jack would have been hilarious. But I kinda think the story has progressed far enough that he'd be irrelevant now if brought back. Who knows, though. Maybe he's the shogun of Wano.

smurfx

get some go again
older characters like morgan are only good now for giving information to people like big mom about a characters past. maybe don krieg or gin were the ones who told big mom about sanji's having connections to zeff.

IHaveIce

Banned

I read somewhere a theory that there are certain someones around the One piece world that were advised to do a task by Roger and look out for his successor (marked by the Straw Hat), maybe Roger thought Shanks would be it, but Shanks himself found out he won't be the one or Shanks task was even finding the One and giving him the Hat/marking him.

People around the OP world mention sometimes "A nice hat you have there" or something along the lines. Especially in positions where the crew needs help or makes a important step forward.

For example: Crocus, he is the guardian at Twin Peaks, The shandia geezer, Rayleigh of course and many more. Maybe there will be more or others who are doing the same and Scopper Gaban and Shanks are the ones doing the guiding in the New World.

I thought it was nice little theory, I don't think it works that way but it would explain what Shanks does.. maybe he is the one blocking wrong ones from becoming the king

RomanceDawn

Morgan being Jack would have been hilarious. But I kinda think the story has progressed far enough that he'd be irrelevant now if brought back. Who knows, though. Maybe he's the shogun of Wano.

Well if he never came back I'm sure know one would really bat an eye. The thing is Morgan is heavily tied to Kobi and Helmepo, even if only symbolically. I think many agree that at some point Kobi will become an Admiral some day, probably in the epilogue, he's a good character who is very good friends with the main character and trained by the main characters grand father. Not to mention he hates corrupt Marines.

As the first opponent who was there during his journey as a Marine it would be fitting for Kobi and Helmepo to bring him to justice and bring closure to their own story. The world and events they are involved in are a million times bigger than Morgan(I assume) but I think things would be wrapped up very nicely with the Kobi as a leader in the reformed Marines and then capturing the first corrupt Marin the audience saw as well as Kobi.

But maybe not.

Well if he never came back I'm sure know one would really bat an eye. The thing is Morgan is heavily tied to Kobi and Helmepo, even if only symbolically. I think many agree that at some point Kobi will become an Admiral some day, probably in the epilogue, he's a good character who is very good friends with the main character and trained by the main characters grand father. Not to mention he hates corrupt Marines.

As the first opponent who was there during his journey as a Marine it would be fitting for Kobi and Helmepo to bring him to justice and bring closure to their own story. The world and events they are involved in are a million times bigger than Morgan(I assume) but I think things would be wrapped up very nicely with the Kobi as a leader in the reformed Marines and then capturing the first corrupt Marin the audience saw as well as Kobi.

But maybe not.
That sounds awesome RD. Very fitting.

Squishy3

Yeah, Coby would ultimately probably be for the "abolishment" of the World Government as it currently exists when the truth of the Void Century comes to light.

smurfx

get some go again
I read somewhere a theory that there are certain someones around the One piece world that were advised to do a task by Roger and look out for his successor (marked by the Straw Hat), maybe Roger thought Shanks would be it, but Shanks himself found out he won't be the one or Shanks task was even finding the One and giving him the Hat/marking him.

People around the OP world mention sometimes "A nice hat you have there" or something along the lines. Especially in positions where the crew needs help or makes a important step forward.

For example: Crocus, he is the guardian at Twin Peaks, The shandia geezer, Rayleigh of course and many more. Maybe there will be more or others who are doing the same and Scopper Gaban and Shanks are the ones doing the guiding in the New World.

I thought it was nice little theory, I don't think it works that way but it would explain what Shanks does.. maybe he is the one blocking wrong ones from becoming the king
i wonder if a non D can even accomplish what roger couldn't. why didn't rayleigh try and finish what roger started? why wait for somebody else? maybe roger didn't have the army to take on the world government? perhaps that is the role dragon was given or he gave himself after roger died.

i wonder if a non D can even accomplish what roger couldn't. why didn't rayleigh try and finish what roger started? why wait for somebody else? maybe roger didn't have the army to take on the world government? perhaps that is the role dragon was given or he gave himself after roger died.
Didn't Rayleigh say to the crew, "Even if you knew the truth of the world there isn't anything you could do about it!"
Probably suggests a certain power level.

But then again, Teach is hella powerful and Whitebeard commented that Teach is "not the man Roger was waiting for".

Because of that line, it makes me believe that Shanks knew all along that Luffy would be the one to fulfill Rogers will, hence he gave him the straw hat. I personally believe that Shanks is a D or that his powers are highly Haki based leading him to sense this potential in Luffy early on.

As for the D thing, I think the prophecy or whatever is that it will be a D to bring about the storm that will rock the world. I'm assuming, along with almost everyone, that there's some ancestral shit going down there that makes them more prone to fulfilling Rogers will.

smurfx

get some go again
Didn't Rayleigh say to the crew, "Even if you knew the truth of the world there isn't anything you could do about it!"
Probably suggests a certain power level.

But then again, Teach is hella powerful and Whitebeard commented that Teach is "not the man Roger was waiting for".

Because of that line, it makes me believe that Shanks knew all along that Luffy would be the one to fulfill Rogers will, hence he gave him the straw hat. I personally believe that Shanks is a D or that his powers are highly Haki based leading him to sense this potential in Luffy early on.

As for the D thing, I think the prophecy or whatever is that it will be a D to bring about the storm that will rock the world. I'm assuming, along with almost everyone, that there's some ancestral shit going down there that makes them more prone to fulfilling Rogers will.
yeah whitebeard makes it seem like roger wanted somebody to do what he couldn't. the question is why didn't he leave things to rayleigh and have him continue? why disband his crew? did he disband knowing his crew would try and guide his successor and help him when the time comes? rayleigh literally trained luffy who he probably sees as rogers successor. luffy has also been helped by other roger allies along the way. i'm sure he will keep getting helped by other friends of roger as the story continues.

The context for Whitebeard's comment was that Roger told him what the Will of D is and that he recognised it in Ace and Luffy. His last words were him taunting the world government about even how they killed Ace they didn't kill Luffy or what he threatened.

The last words of Roger actually tell you more about what the theme of the manga is and what the will of d represents.

"Inherited will, the swelling of the changing times, and the dreams of people. These are things that cannot be stopped. As long as people seek the answer to freedom, these will never cease to be!"

In a way Dressrosa was great example of what Roger was talking about along with Drum kingdom.

yeah whitebeard makes it seem like roger wanted somebody to do what he couldn't. the question is why didn't he leave things to rayleigh and have him continue? why disband his crew? did he disband knowing his crew would try and guide his successor and help him when the time comes? rayleigh literally trained luffy who he probably sees as rogers successor. luffy has also been helped by other roger allies along the way. i'm sure he will keep getting helped by other friends of roger as the story continues.
That makes sense to me. Perhaps they made it to Raftel but just couldn't change the world in the way that Luffy eventually will. If you think about it, it's probably why Roger said what he said at his execution and started the age of pirates to begin with, to get everyone out to the sea to search for the "one piece".
The context for Whitebeard's comment was that Roger told him what the Will of D is and that he recognised it in Ace and Luffy. His last words were him taunting the world government about even how they killed Ace they didn't kill Luffy or what he threatened.

The last words of Roger actually tell you more about what the theme of the manga is and what the will of d represents.

"Inherited will, the swelling of the changing times, and the dreams of people. These are things that cannot be stopped. As long as people seek the answer to freedom, these will never cease to be!"

In a way Dressrosa was great example of what Roger was talking about along with Drum kingdom.
Awesome post, and I'd add Robin and Ohara to those examples too.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That makes sense to me. Perhaps they made it to Raftel but just couldn't change the world in the way that Luffy eventually will. If you think about it, it's probably why Roger said what he said at his execution and started the age of pirates to begin with, to get everyone out to the sea to search for the "one piece".

Awesome post, and I'd add Robin and Ohara to those examples too.

I think the major point is the Will of D, most of his crew presumably weren't D's and Roger was dying. Luffy is part of the D lineage and has inherited that will. Roger was also litterally had one random pirate crew even if he wanted to he couldn't do much. Luffy's timeline the revolutionaries are about, Luffy has a Pirate Alliance. Every is prepped for Luffy to fulfill Whitebeard Prophecies to start a world wide war on the World government.

I think the major point is the Will of D, most of his crew presumably weren't D's and Roger was dying. Luffy is part of the D lineage and has inherited that will. Roger was also litterally had one random pirate crew even if he wanted to he couldn't do much. Luffy's timeline the revolutionaries are about, Luffy has a Pirate Alliance. Every is prepped for Luffy to fulfill Whitebeard Prophecies to start a world wide war on the World government.
But so is Blackbeard, and he's a D. Whitebeard's words made it seem as though there's more than just strength required.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But so is Blackbeard, and he's a D. Whitebeard's words made it seem as though there's more than just strength required.

Whitebeard was litterally talking about who the world government should be frighten of, the one who will carry the centuries of history on his back (the rio Poneglyph) and declare battle on the world, who would most probably be the Pirate king. If Luffy is the Pirate King, then that probably won't be Blackbeard

Whitebeards words essentially imply a comeupance on the WG by the people carrying the Will of D. Blackbeard probably has his own agenda

Whitebeard was litterally talking about who the world government should be frighten of, the one who will carry the centuries of history on his back (the rio Poneglyph) and declare battle on the world, who would most probably be the Pirate king. If Luffy is the Pirate King, then that probably won't be Blackbeard

Whitebeards words essentially imply a comeupance on the WG by the people carrying the Will of D. Blackbeard probably has his own agenda
I'd have to disagree. Blackbeard is a clear foil to Luffy. Both are Ds. Both have named crew members. Both are self-proclaimed dreamers.

On their differences from the wiki: "Despite that, there is also a great contrast between him and Luffy: primarily, Blackbeard fears death whereas other D. carriers embrace it if it comes, and was willing to betray his own friends for power. Just before his death, Whitebeard noted that Teach was not the one Roger had been waiting for and dismissed Teach as being incapable of continuing Roger's legacy."

Easentially, It'll be Luffy vs Blackbeard for the One Piece. Whitebeard's words suggest Teach is not worthy despite however strong he may become. Both will be entirely capable of destroying the WG through strength, but there is something more required.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'd have to disagree. Blackbeard is a clear foil to Luffy. Both are Ds. Both have named crew members. Both are self-proclaimed dreamers.

On their differences from the wiki: "Despite that, there is also a great contrast between him and Luffy: primarily, Blackbeard fears death whereas other D. carriers embrace it if it comes, and was willing to betray his own friends for power. Just before his death, Whitebeard noted that Teach was not the one Roger had been waiting for and dismissed Teach as being incapable of continuing Roger's legacy."

Easentially, It'll be Luffy vs Blackbeard for the One Piece. Whitebeard's words suggest Teach is not worthy despite however strong he may become. Both will be entirely capable of destroying the WG through strength, but there is something more required.

None of what your saying contrdicts remotely what I said. WB implies the person who has reached the Rio Poneglyph will start the final war. That will probably be the Pirate King, as in Luffy would have probably defeated Blackbeard and gained One Piece by this point.

Lunar15

That model earth in Ohara makes no sense if the other spheres are moons, because you only ever see one moon from the planet and it behaves exactly like our moon.

Those are likely planets and the whole thing probably isn't super important anyway. It's just a cool sciencey thing.

None of what your saying contrdicts remotely what I said. WB implies the person who has reached the Rio Poneglyph will start the final war. That will probably be the Pirate King, as in Luffy would have probably defeated Blackbeard and gained One Piece by this point.
I think we're understanding some terms differently. To me, the One Piece is something to be found, but it doesn't make you the Pirate King, not in the true sense. Luffy says flat out that the Pirate King is the man with the most freedom on the ocean, and this makes me think that the Pirate King title will matter AFTER the WG is defeated, not before.

On Blackbeard, I think he is totally capable of finding and understanding the One Piece too. He just won't be able to fulfill whatever promise or will is required to liberate the world from the WG. After this chapter and the introduction of the poneglyph transcripts and remphasizing Robin's safety, I think it's highly likely that Blackbeard will also make it to Raftel and learn the truth as well through his classic cheating and trickery.

It's not so much who starts the war (both Luffy and Blackbeard will be able to) but who fulfills the promise of whatever it is the Rio Poneglyph will talk about in the purpose behind removing the WG in the first place (a peaceful world? Some kind of knowledge sharing?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom