• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmoka

Banned
Easter holidays on the way. Oda also needs a break guys!

At least we've got the anime, and lets see if it gets faster now that Luffy finally defeats Doflamingo. But it's Toei, 2 episodes of citizens celebrating the end of the nightmare. I will be September when all Strawhats meet in Zou after 2 years.

Wait, wait -
Didn't we see a scene of WhiteBeard and Rogers drinking together and Rogers asked if Whitebeard if he wanted to know the way to Raftel and WB didn't care??? How did they get there together? I mean, context is important so we'll see but I don't care for that at all.

I love how everything is gradually falling into place.
Wano will propably the biggest arc yet, and it has to be. Luffy taking down an Emperor has to feel like an enormous feat.
I also love how it sounds like Blackbeard basically wiped the floor with Marco & Co.

Wait, wait -
Didn't we see a scene of WhiteBeard and Rogers drinking together and Rogers asked if Whitebeard if he wanted to know the way to Raftel and WB didn't care??? How did they get there together? I mean, context is important so we'll see but I don't care for that at all.

Nothing in the chapter suggests that WB sailed to raftel

Wow, lots of info!

So Marco immediately tried to get revenge on Blackbeard, wonder if it's only the division commanders remaining?

Looks like we're splitting up, though Jack is a huge wild card here. Will the crew leave seperated as planned or all they all going to to take on Jack?

I love how the Swirly Hats are going with Luffy, I just hope this arc isn't as long as Dresrossa.

Looks like Luffy can hear Zunisha ;)

IHaveIce

Banned
So this confirms alot, just sailing all through the log pose routes doesn't lead to raftel but just to an island with clues.
Which makes sense why nobody else found Raftel easily.

Also Whitebeard was scouted by Roger? So I guess Roger did 2 tours one with Whitebeard and co and then the 2nd one where he reaches raftel? Does that make sense?

Lol poor Brook. Oda really needs to give the guy some stand out moments in this new arc because this chapter highlighted just how undercooked his role in the crew is.

Thankfully it seems to be going that way.

Syntsui

So the minks will run into Weevil soon if they are going after Marco. So many great possible battles ahead, thanks GODA.

Lol poor Brook. Oda really needs to give the guy some stand out moments in this new arc because this chapter highlighted just how undercooked his role in the crew is.

I'm sure his knowledge of the Vinsmokes will prove important in the future.

Nibel

YtRCIys.png

Alright let me get this straight..

Inu and neko were on Rogers and whitebeards ships, as well as lord oden

The log pose is useless basically once you reach the end.

Luffy,nami,brook and chopper are going to whole cake(i called it)

Zoro,robin,franky and usopp are going to wano with the samurai and law's crew.

The minks will be looking for marco

Marco and the whitebeard pirates tried to take on the blackbeard pirates but they lost and blackbeard became a yonku(kinda afraid for dragon now)

Jack has started attacking the poor elephant....

Oda zou has been absolutely amazing its like setting up huge end game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Whew, lots of info.

Looks like Oda is making up for not using the Swirly-Hats during Dressrosa by having them be the "Rescue Sanji" group. Good deal.
So it sounds like Lord Oden sailed under Whitebeard for a time, then sailed under Roger, and he ended up being one of the people that saw Raftel and the True History with Roger, Rayleigh and Crocus. Where Inuarashi and Nekomamushi were in the same position as Shanks & Buggy. Apprentices that didn't get to see everything, but saw a lot of action.
I have been wondering where Marco and the other Division Commanders were. That explains it, a big ass war during the timeskip. Man, now I'm wondering how OP Teach is if he was able to take out what was left of Whitebeard's crew.

Take that break Oda. You need it.

Lunar15

This was basically Oda retconning the log pose a bit so he could make sense of how the poneglyphs point to Raftel but the "course" does not. I've got no problem with it, it's probably the best solution to go with. The whole idea of the grand line pointing towards raftel never made a whole bunch of sense to me anyway, so I'm actually pretty happy with this explanation.

I wonder if Momo was talking out of his ass or if there really is some kind of way he met Roger. Maybe he met Ace instead?

daveo42

Banned
Just when I thought One Piece couldn't get any bigger...man, Oda outdoing himself on the world building time and time again. Love the throwback to Marco and that new info on what's left of the Whitebeard pirates. A one-off movie written by Oda showing that battle would be amazing.

This "Save Sanji Arc" is a good way to spend a year with people who got overlooked in the last one. Looking forward to seeing some actual progress from the 'B' team.

Also, I'm sure everyone over the age of 22 met Roger at least once. Like everyone.

This was basically Oda retconning the log pose a bit so he could make sense of how the poneglyphs point to Raftel but the "course" does not. I've got no problem with it, it's probably the best solution to go with.

I wonder if Momo was talking out of his ass or if there really is some kind of way he met Roger. Maybe he met Ace instead?

Ehh...I wouldn't call it a retcon really, because way more people would end up at Raftel if you could just follow the log pose there. Before this bit of info, the only reason why it could have been hard to get there is if the seas surrounding the island were too treacherous to cross for pretty much every crew.

Edit: reread the chapter related to Crocus and the log pose. I'll concede it is a retcon.

Also, we know that Brook is hiding something regarding knowledge about the Vinesmokes so this is a great opportunity to learn more aboht his life before the Rumba pirates.

TheFlow

Banned
Whiteboards crews took a good beating before they went for a rematch. They lost ace and wb while Blackbeard only gained more. So yea they weren't winning.

Dragon is going to have a tough fight no doubt though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So who did Momo meet that he thought was Roger?

The chapter implies he's lying but I feel like maybe it would have been more obvious.

Ace maybe?

Pretty sure that was just a joke.
"I totally met Roger too!"
"Oh that's co- HEY WAIT A MINUTE!"

Chariot

It's shouldn't come as a surprise that a lot of people know Roger. He was a powerful pirate, in his time probably even THE pirate. His crew was big and wasn't destroyed. Mind you, he gave himself over, meaning his whole crew had to end up somewhere. Since they survived through all the dangers to the final island, they probably are also reasonably strong or at least good in surviving, which makes it not that unlikely that they end up in positions of power or be able to survive in the New World.

Luigi87

Definitely glad Nami, Chopper, and Brook are going with Luffy. Dressrosa was such a freaking long arc, they (plus Sanji) were certainly missed.

I'm also really glad this chapter had Nami address the issue of them going off route. That's been bothering me for a long time to be honest.

I can't believe it
The end game is like in sight
Holy shit

In sight, yet still going to take quite the way to get there, lol

A big thing is while their groups are technically heading in the direction of the two known Red Poneglyphs, the locale of the fourth is still up in the air.

Kain

Oda keeps on giving. GODA.

It's cool that they know Roger, also, now that they mentioned Buggy I hope they encounter him somewhere close. We need more Buggy.

marmoka

Banned
Now it's Chopper, Nami, Brook and Sanji's turn. They deserve more love. I hope this arc is not as long as Dressrosa. This is the year of Sanji, NOT the yearS of Sanji, haha.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Haven't read yet but with y'all saying they're off to Big Mom's while others go to Wano guess we are doing back to back Yonkou.

Wano you'd have to think will be Dressrosa long or even longer with the build up this has been getting.

Whole Cake I'd guess would probably be 50-60 chapters minimum. Gotta give Big Mom her due being a Yonkou.

Now it's Chopper, Nami, Brook and Sanji's turn. They deserve more love. I hope this arc is not as long as Dressrosa. This is the year of Sanji, NOT the yearS of Sanji, haha.
Unless the following years are Nami's, Brooke's and Chopper's. lol

The only way I can see this being longer than Dressrosa is if Luffy defeats Big Mom for real, which is quite unlikely without his full crew and alliance members.

Lunar15

I can't imagine we're going to get a huge fight with Jack right now. The stage is set for all of them to split up and go about their ways, and we just really haven't had the proper time to set up that fight. It's either going to be a swift victory or a non-fight. Zunisha might even just end the conflict right now. Jack's army is pretty beat up. I just don't see them putting up a decent fight, and the time isn't right for that kind of fight.

Big Mom will help fight Kaido. You can quote me on that.

I'm hoping the Sanji Rescue division leaves and everyone else fights Jack. I'm REALLY hoping that Jack survives again and tries to get at Luffy during the wedding and he receives Big Mom's wrath of punishment.

In my head, Jack shows up out of nowhere at the wedding, swearing vengeance and big mom just eats him in a single panel and finishes her sentence.

It would be kind of fun if they can't stop the wedding but reach an understanding and Sanji now has a wife who hates him that comes aboard the ship.

Ray Down

Banned
Chapter was great.

Will go into more later.

Nami was the star of this chapter

Yep, her talk with Inu was cool her reactions to the compliments by Inu and Luffy, her beating Luffy up after slapping her for too long and hard (Phrasing, funniest moment of the chapter) and her convincing Luffy she is coming, plus telling Brook he isn't needed.

I can't believe it
The end game is like in sight
Holy shit
Yep, after so long we getting endgame shit.

Makes sense since a Yonkou is about to go down.

After Wano I imagine we might head to the giant Island and get into what Vegapunk and resolve Kuma, which will hopefully lead into Dragon/Revo flashback.

To be fair Roger was pretty much the most influential man of his time seemingly having friends and allies everywhere and inspiring an entire generation and even was friends with Whitebeard.

Just wait till Luffy & crew they will be the Roger of this generation. Though I wonder if Luffy will have his own Ace except he probably he/she won't hate/have angst against his blood like Ace.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yeah it's starting to look more and more like Big Mom could end up an ally (which seems crazy considering how she's been characterized so far). Nami's going with Luffy, (I think she's the one with the vivre card lola gave), Lola's mom is a big name new world pirate, Nami and Lola are BFFs

Oh God, Lola is the daughter that Sanji's being forced to marry, isn't she? LOL

Lunar15

Yeah it's starting to look more and more like Big Mom could end up an ally (which seems crazy considering how she's been characterized so far). Nami's going with Luffy, (I think she's the one with the vivre card lola gave), Lola's mom is a big name new world pirate, Nami and Lola are BFFs

Well, her whole thing was that no one would marry her, right? Perhaps Big Mom took matters into her own hands.

GaimeGuy

Whew, lots of info.

Looks like Oda is making up for not using the Swirly-Hats during Dressrosa by having them be the "Rescue Sanji" group. Good deal.
So it sounds like Lord Oden sailed under Whitebeard for a time, then sailed under Roger, and he ended up being one of the people that saw Raftel and the True History with Roger, Rayleigh and Crocus. Where Inuarashi and Nekomamushi were in the same position as Shanks & Buggy. Apprentices that didn't get to see everything, but saw a lot of action.
I have been wondering where Marco and the other Division Commanders were. That explains it, a big ass war during the timeskip. Man, now I'm wondering how OP Teach is if he was able to take out what was left of Whitebeard's crew.

Take that break Oda. You need it.
He gave shanks his biggest scar before he had any devil fruit, and killed Thatch. He captured Ace. He infiltrated Impel Down. He now has full mastery over whitebeard's old fruit - a fruit which causes quakes and summons tsunamis (Keep in mind we are dealing with a Japanese story, here - tsunamis are pretty much THE symbol of power and destruction), as well as power over darkness/gravity, and the ability to nullify other fruit users' powers.

He has always been really, really powerful,

IHaveIce

Banned
All this talk just makes me sad that we mostly follow the Strawhats only.

I mean there are right now crazy situations at play I would love to see:
Blackbeard vs Revolutionaries (cause after hearing the former WB pirates lost to BB I'm wondering how it will go, though it makes no sense to let the Revolutionaries lose)
Kidd and friends ?vs? Kaidou
After that Kidd vs Shanks

And we missed BB vs WB and Akainu vs Akoji already.

Weevil's rise to fame is probably also interesting

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So who did Momo meet that he thought was Roger?

The chapter implies he's lying but I feel like maybe it would have been more obvious.

Ace maybe?

Roger could hear the voice of all things. So can Luffy. Seemingly, so can Momo. I wouldn't be surprised to find that people like this can communicate post-mortem with each other in some way, that their voices can reach each other beyond the veil of death. Gotta have that Luffy/Roger chat near the end, yeah?

Also, I think the voice Luffy is hearing at the end of the chapter isn't Zunisha, I think it's the voice Momonosuke was hearing as they all approached the whale. They do a tiny sliver panel of the whale immediately before Luffy hears the voice, I think we'll learn the significance of that whale soon.

Holy shit!!! I completely forgot about that. Looks like it. LMAO.

GaimeGuy

All this talk just makes me sad that we mostly follow the Strawhats only.

I mean there are right now crazy situations at play I would love to see:
Blackbeard vs Revolutionaries (cause after hearing the former WB pirates lost to BB I'm wondering how it will go, though it makes no sense to let the Revolutionaries lose)
Kidd and friends ?vs? Kaidou
After that Kidd vs Shanks

And we missed BB vs WB and Akainu vs Akoji already.

Weevil's rise to fame is probably also interesting
We also are only navigating a relatively narrow strip of area that circumnavigates the globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom