• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samemind

I think with Zoan that the closer they get to animal form the more they lose control and the animal takes over. Perhaps the awakening relates to a level of control over the "ideal" form of the devil fruit.

Like a strong Zoan user like Rob Lucci fights as a human with leopard characteristics but might be actually be more powerful in terms of combat ability as a full Leopard. It's hard to guess if there was any reason for Rob Lucci not fighting as 100% leopard in his fight with Luffy and just tearing him to shreds.
He did go full leopard at one point. Im guessing he couldnt use rokushiki techniques without being human or hybrid.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But when he went full Leopard he brutalised Luffy. It looked more effective than this air fu.

It also limited the types of attacks he could use. You need proper arms and legs to use martial arts.

Awakenings for zoans basically look like Chopper when he uses his rumble ball, all the different forms, from what we can tell so far.

Didn't all he do was bite luffy and that's it?

Well he didn't end up winning, that's on record.

It also limited the types of attacks he could use. You need proper arms and legs to use martial arts.

Awakenings for zoans basically look like Chopper when he uses his rumble ball, all the different forms, from what we can tell so far.

Chopper is very unusual. I think what we know about awakenings from Chopper is that it is easy for stronger forms of Zou fruits for the user to lose control. It makes sense for them to be influence by things like werewolves when it comes to this. But the forms of devil fruit are very different. A mammoth or leopard fruit is going to have different forms to a human fruit or buddha fruit. Oda does like to draw Zoans standing up holding weapons but a lot of these zoan guys are, let's face it, random goons. What he does when he shows someone like Jack fighting is going to be interesting.

Chariot

It's always amazing to think back that I started reading One Piece in grade school where it already had run for a few years and that it's not going to finish running for quite some time. One Piece could accompany literally half my life or more.

Started One Piece about three years ago. I really disliked Luffy before reading the series, so that put me off it for so long.

What a big error in judgement... He's now one of my favorite characters in manga ;-;

A buddy of mine refuses to read or watch One Piece because "it's too goofy".

As for myself, I started reading One Piece in the North AmericN Shonen Jump that we had going on in Canada. It was 2003 I think, but I didn't know scans and stuff could be found online until around 2005/2006. I jumped in right at the end of the Enies Lobby arc.

Red Fire

I started two years ago i think? Yeah watched the anime until last year (took some good breaks sometimes) until the latest episode somewhere in Dressrosa and read the manga from there on.

I've always been an anime fan but i was always turned off by one piece's artstyle. I thought it looked too ugly to take it seriously.

If i could turn back time i would go and kick young me in the balls and force him to watch one piece.

GhostBed

Had a buddy rave to me for a whole summer about how One Piece was the best shit out there(He spoiled a lot of the series for me, unfortunately). I finally caved and sat down to watch it...Ended up watching, like, 10+ episodes a day until I was caught up. I think I started reading right around the time when Franky was fucking with Baby 5 and Buffalo on Punk Hazard. Now One Piece is a big part of my life, haha. I dedicate a lot of time to reading, rereading, researching, discussing, playing the games, watching the anime, movies, etc. Soon, I'll get that OP tattoo, as well...

Oxn

Had a buddy rave to me for a whole summer about how One Piece was the best shit out there(He spoiled a lot of the series for me, unfortunately). I finally caved and sat down to watch it...Ended up watching, like, 10+ episodes a day until I was caught up. I think I started reading right around the time when Franky was fucking with Baby 5 and Buffalo on Punk Hazard. Now One Piece is a big part of my life, haha. I dedicate a lot of time to reading, rereading, researching, discussing, playing the games, watching the anime, movies, etc. Soon, I'll get that OP tattoo, as well...

dammmmmnnnnnnnnn

I've yet to meet anyone who got into One Piece pre-Alabasta.

The magazine in North America started in 02 which was I think around the time Skypeia was going on in Japan.

Oxn

The magazine in North America started in 02 which was I think around the time Skypeia was going on in Japan.

Well I got into the Anime during Alabasta if that counts.

I was strictly an anime watcher until a few months ago when I just couldnt stand the pacing anymore and needed to know what was after. SO now i read the manga weekly.

NSESN

I started reading One piece in 2012, back then Naruto was going downhill and i needed a new big manga to read.I think it was around the time Punk Hazard was going on.

I remember i started to read the manga when luffy goes against the 3 admirals in Marineford, not that long ago i guess.

Waiting that full month? (i think) for the timeskip was one of the most hype things i've ever lived.

IHaveIce

Banned

I was into it the day it started here in Germany. But made a break when enies lobby was over because the channel started to milk it with reruns.

2 years later I came back and even read the Manga.. and yeah now I'm a huge OP geek.

Started Op in August 2007 the year funimation started dubbing the skypiea arc and airing on tv. After that went back back and read all the previous chapters,got into subs and now im a super fan.

Diablos54

Started watching/reading One Piece during the filler hell between the original Naruto and Shippuden, so 2007. Wow it's been almost 10 years already! Didn't think it was anything amazing at first, just decent until I hit Baratie. That's when everything changed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think when I started reading One Piece it had just debuted to the English scene online. At the time it was at either Alabasta or Jaya in Japan.

So was reading in the dark days of translation when scans were shit, very robotic, etc.

Yup definitely have read this thing for almost 20 years now...

I'm gonna go lie down.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
2003 for me. I borrowed copies of Viz Jump and instantly gravitated towards One Piece.
Yeah, I was a fan before the 4Kids dub was a thing.

bjork

I bought the first issue of US Shonen Jump and started from there. Wound up catching up through other means, of course.

I was thinking about Raftel. Were Shanks and Buggy on the crew that made that last voyage, or had they been on Roger's crew earlier than that and left before then?

marmoka

Banned
I used to watch random OP episodes on TV. summer 2014 I was watching Captain Kuro's arc, later some Alabasta episodes, and the latest, some episodes of Jaya where a misterious dark-skin woman I hadn't seen before was part of the Strawhat crew. There are only 156 episodes dubbed in my native language, once they broadcasted all, they removed it from TV, until 4 months later, when they began from the first episodes again.

After that, november 2014, I started watching OP online from the beginning. I used to watch an average of 2 episodes per day. In november 2015 I watched the last anime episode, Law vs Trevol, and Law won.

My life was empty then, and I was tired of Dressrosa. So I started reading the comic in order to know how it finished, and finally read till the last manga episode.

It was worth watching and reading so many chapters. I love One Piece, and I love Zou arc. Once the series is over I will die happy.

inafking

I used to watch random OP episodes on TV. summer 2014 I was watching Captain Kuro's arc, later some Alabasta episodes, and the latest, some episodes of Jaya where a misterious dark-skin woman I hadn't seen before was part of the Strawhat crew. There are only 156 episodes dubbed in my native language, once they broadcasted all, they removed it from TV, until 4 months later, when they began from the first episodes again.

After that, november 2014, I started watching OP online from the beginning. I used to watch an average of 2 episodes per day. In november 2015 I watched the last anime episode, Law vs Trevol, and Law won.

My life was empty then, and I was tired of Dressrosa. So I started reading the comic in order to know how it finished, and finally read till the last manga episode.

It was worth watching and reading so many chapters. I love One Piece, and I love Zou arc. Once the series is over I will die happy.

This was almost the same situation, except that I knew about One Piece existence around 1999-2000 when they showed some scenes in a TV Program about weird stuff (they used to show animus debuting in those years. The program was called "Maldita sea" which translates to "Damn it").

Then about 10 years later I saw some episodes on TV on the only channel that airs anime here currently in Chile: ETCTV (it's on cable though, there aren't any channels on broadcast TV that air animu here). It was a 4kidz re-dub (jap->eng->spanish) that aired up to the Alabasta arc. What really caught my attention was the concept of devil fruits and then I searched on internet watched all the episodes marathon-like.

Been a loyal OP fan since then. I even have a "Marine" T-shirt with the Marine logo and the "Justice" (seigi) kanji's in the back and a Marine cap that I usually wear on weekends. That way only real fans would catch the reference and for everyone else would be just a T-shirt and a cap, maybe confusing "Marine" with some sort of clothes brand (^_^)

Been a loyal OP fan since then. I even have a "Marine" T-shit with the Marine logo and the "Justice" (seigi) kanji's in the back and a Marine cap that I usually wear on weekends. That way only real fans would catch the reference and for everyone else would be just a T-shirt and a cap, maybe confusing "Marine" with some sort of clothes brand (^_^)

Speaking of which, I was at the mall yesterday and I saw a dude casually wearing a black cap with the Heart Pirates logo. lol

inafking

Speaking of which, I was at the mall yesterday and I saw a dude casually wearing a black cap with the Heart Pirates logo. lol

Were you brave enought to ask him if he liked OP? Sometimes when I see someone with OP references I say to them "Good T-shirt", "Good cap" or sth along those lines.

BTW, this is the T-shirt and cap I usually wear:

Cap (bought from 399animeshop)
u9WPS3o.jpg

Dry-fit T-shirt (I vectorized the design myself, copied from another sources I don't remember currently, likely google images)
A0SOoUP.jpg

vFnQKEy.jpg

I also own a key-chain
0IWPJLE.jpg

a mug
rTZkJdD.jpg

kTs4ggN.jpg

and a Luffy wanted poster (post timeskip, pre dressrosa arc)
qmSVt8b.jpg

The last three I bought them when I went to Mugiwara Store in Shibuya Parco in 2014 (Tokyo)

I bought the first issue of US Shonen Jump and started from there. Wound up catching up through other means, of course.

I was thinking about Raftel. Were Shanks and Buggy on the crew that made that last voyage, or had they been on Roger's crew earlier than that and left before then?

Other means ;)

MSN groups were the shit back in the day.

And I don't think we know for sure. My guess is no because Buggy probably would have mentioned it at some point.

Were you brave enought to ask him if he liked OP? Sometimes when I see someone with OP references I say to them "Good T-shirt", "Good cap" or sth along those lines.

Cap (bought from 399animeshop)
u9WPS3o.jpg

Dry-fit T-shirt (I vectorized the design myself, copied from another sources I don't remember currently, likely google images)
A0SOoUP.jpg

vFnQKEy.jpg

I also own a key-chain
0IWPJLE.jpg

a mug
rTZkJdD.jpg

kTs4ggN.jpg

and a Luffy wanted poster (post timeskip, pre dressrosa arc)
qmSVt8b.jpg

The last three I bought them when I went to Mugiwara Store in Shibuya Parco in 2014 (Tokyo)

Great adquisitions!

On my country (Chile) i've seen people wearing Law's clothes and symbols lots of times, it could probably be the most popular character here lol.

My first run in with One Piece was the 4kids dub, i remember watching te Captain Kuro arc thinking how badass he was. Bought One Piece Round the Land for the PS2 next, The game was in Japanese so i had no idea how to save. I only got up to Captain Kuro boss fight in the game aswell.

This is what the game was like btw

Fastforward and i see a clip of Luffy post timeskip dodging light bullets and one shotting a pacifista and i was like "damn have to get back to this".

inafking

Great adquisitions!

On my country (Chile) i've seen people wearing Law's clothes and symbols lots of times, it could probably be the most popular character here lol.

Glad to see another chilean here!
[chilean slang]Wena chorizo![/chilean slang]

I also bought in my last trip to Japan a Mera-Mera no Mi which had snacks inside of it (on a Jump Shop in Nagoya)
2BwmcXJ.jpg

A (used) Blackbeard figure (bought in a Nakano Broadway's Mandarake)
sjcGZhn.jpg

And a Sabo Figure (IIRC it was also in a Nakano Broadway store but this was brand new)
HAO1Qk6.jpg

Almost half of my luggage space was figures, LOL ^_^

He was on a table talking with friends so I didn't want to bother. But I would compliment him if he was just passing by. lol

Nice stuff, mate! That wanted poster is awesome to have on your room.

inafking

He was on a table talking with friends so I didn't want to bother. But I would compliment him if he was just passing by. lol

Oh, I see

Nice stuff, mate! That wanted poster is awesome to have on your room.

Yeah, but I haven't removed the plastic cover since I don't want it to get dirty.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My best friend introduced OP to me my Freshman year of HS, when I was 15. I initially hated it for the weird art, but the episode he showed me (the Laboon episode with Crocus' hilarious gag) was so different from any other show I'd seen that it hooked me. Kaizoku had only just gotten to Arabasta at that point. By the time I caught up with the manga, Water 7 was brand new. Binging the series like that is one of my favorite memories, no joke.

I also love Skypiea to death, so the loooooooooong wait to seeing it subbed had a huge payoff.

I initially hated it for the weird art, but the episode he showed me (the Laboon episode with Crocus' hilarious gag) was so different from any other show I'd seen that it hooked me.

Usopp: I-If it's a fight you want, t-then you've got one! We have a cannon on our side!
Crocus: Don't, or someone might end up dead...
Sanji: Oh? And just who would that be...?
Crocus: Me.

lmao

Taborcarn

I have a two-and a half year old son. He's changed my life around completely. And now he's big enough that he can say his ABCs, count past 10, put together jigsaw puzzles on his own, and other cool stuff.

And he was born 6 months after the Straw Hats landed on Dressrosa. Great googly moogly.

I have a two-and a half year old son. He's changed my life around completely. And now he's big enough that he can say his ABCs, count past 10, put together jigsaw puzzles on his own, and other cool stuff.

And he was born 6 months after the Straw Hats landed on Dressrosa. Great googly moogly.
Wait until he sees you watch one piece so much he starts pointing to characters.

"daddy look chopper, its chopper"
Coolest thing ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom