• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I was just reading the end of Reverse Mountain when people wondered if Oda messed up with Crocus's words. When Luffy told Laboon he was his new rival it made me cry knowing all that we know now.

The official VIZ release says:

Crocus: "Using this mountain as your start point, you must pick one of seven magnetic fields. No matter which island you begin from... All routes become one. And the last island of them all is... Rafael."

No contradictions with the latest info at all. They are so far away from the New World and they had all only just met, there really wasn't any reason for Crocus to give more specific info for the crew or the readers.

The image of the routes on that page definitely shows Raftel as that last island where the routes converge, tho. I'm sure we can reason it away as just a general representation, and "Crocus didn't say it," but still.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly this new information on Raftel wraps up a question I've had for a long time now: how has no one else managed to make it there yet? With how old Whitebeard was and how long the Emperors have been around, you'd think someone would have managed to follow the logpost all the way there. The thing with the road poneglyphs actually closes a plothole that's been bugging me for a while. It explains why no one else has managed to make it to Raftel yet.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Honestly this new information on Raftel wraps up a question I've had for a long time now: how has no one else managed to make it there yet? With how old Whitebeard was and how long the Emperors have been around, you'd think someone would have managed to follow the logpost all the way there. The thing with the road poneglyphs actually closes a plothole that's been bugging me for a while. It explains why no one else has managed to make it to Raftel yet.

When I was younger I just imagined Raftel was surrounded by whirlpools and sea monsters or something and that's why nobody could get there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
When I was younger I just imagined Raftel was surrounded by whirlpools and sea monsters or something and that's why nobody could get there.

Yea, but Roger made it so there had to be a way. It's just something that's always been in the back of my mind.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
People seem to forget about Whitebeard's flashback where he met with Roger before he turned himself in. Roger asked if he wanted to know how to get to Raftel, Whitebeard declined saying he's not interested.
That indicated there was a special way to get to Raftel that not just anyone could access.
That also indicated that Whitebeard spent 22 years merely being with his family, contrary to what Ace and others believed about him going after One Piece. Though his final words did confirm to the real that One Piece is real and out there. Likely on Raftel.

Squishy3

People seem to forget about Whitebeard's flashback where he met with Roger before he turned himself in. Roger asked if he wanted to know how to get to Raftel, Whitebeard declined saying he's not interested.
That indicated there was a special way to get to Raftel that not just anyone could access.
That also indicated that Whitebeard spent 22 years merely being with his family, contrary to what Ace and others believed about him going after One Piece. Though his final words did confirm to the real that One Piece is real and out there. Likely on Raftel.
Well, Whitebeard probably did find out on his own eventually. I'd imagine he just wouldn't have wanted a handout. Plus Roger could have just flat out told him how to get there, versus informing him of the Red Poneglyphs.

Man, you'd really think more people would be gunning for Luffy's crew because of Robin. Just a little inconsistency there after this revelation. :p

RomanceDawn

The image of the routes on that page definitely shows Raftel as that last island where the routes converge, tho. I'm sure we can reason it away as just a general representation, and "Crocus didn't say it," but still.

That really is all it is, a general representation, much like the map we saw recently of the 4 points that actually lead to Raftel, I don't think we are meant to take that as a concrete piece of info. Once the story got going it was very easy to question why no one had sailed there yet. If only one crew had made it there in all of known history there must have been some trick to it. White Beard's flash back with Roger should be a contradiction as well if all anyone had to do was follow the logs. I think even as far back as high school when I first saw that scene I questioned if following the log was all there was to it, especially with how mysterious it was all presented.

Well, Whitebeard probably did find out on his own eventually. I'd imagine he just wouldn't have wanted a handout. Plus Roger could have just flat out told him how to get there, versus informing him of the Red Poneglyphs.

Man, you'd really think more people would be gunning for Luffy's crew because of Robin. Just a little inconsistency there after this revelation. :P

I guess I'm the One Piece defense force today but even here there has been nothing inconsistent with Robin and the things surrounding her at all. I've read this on a few forums and I feel like people aren't considering everything we've seen up to this point.

1 - Robin's entire life she was running from people because of what she knew.
2 - One major player, Crocodile, recruited her specifically for that reason.
3 - We had another massive arc with a major branch of the government focused on capturing her because of the same ability.
4 - Caesar had Kinemon captured for Kaidou because of his potential ability to read the glyphs.
5 - Doflamingo didn't need Robin by the time he met the entire crew, he was already after much easier prey in Momonosuke and had Kanjuro imprisoned.
6 - Not every enemy they've come across seems to be aware of what the Poneglyphs mean in finding One Piece. The actual allies they've made who were secretly in charge of protecting the Poneglyphs even had no idea what they were for.

The Emperors will certainly be more active in trying to capture her now because well the Straw Hats are at their door step and not half a world away. Other crews however, after taking out Enies Lobby publicly like that, you better be big shot yourself if you wanted to go after the Straw Hats.

Yep, I wouldn't put much trust in that image. Shichibukai was first shown as 7 dudes with swords, and we all know how far is that from truth.

Squishy3

I'd also like to point out that it's very likely Robin's mom met up with Roger at some point, although I doubt it'll be elaborated on since it's mostly inconsequential. The timeline lines up for his final voyage and her trip, though.

Roger's last voyage was twenty-six years before the start of the story. Robin's flashback was twenty years ago. Nico Olvia and the other archaeologists' trip to find the poneglyphs was a six year voyage, arriving back home as the Navy shows up to obliterate Ohara.

I guess I'm the One Piece defense force today but even here there has been nothing inconsistent with Robin and the things surrounding her at all. I've read this on a few forums and I feel like people aren't considering everything we've seen up to this point.

3 - We had another massive arc with a major branch of the government focused on capturing her because of the same ability.
4 - Caesar had Kinemon captured for Kaidou because of his potential ability to read the glyphs.
5 - Doflamingo didn't need Robin by the time he met the entire crew, he was already after much easier prey in Momonosuke and had Kanjuro imprisoned.
6 - Not every enemy they've come across seems to be aware of what the Poneglyphs mean in finding One Piece. The actual allies they've made who were secretly in charge of protecting the Poneglyphs even had no idea what they were for.

The Emperors will certainly be more active in trying to capture her now because well the Straw Hats are at their door step and not half a world away. Other crews however, after taking out Enies Lobby publicly like that, you better be big shot yourself if you wanted to go after the Straw Hats.
Yeah, the chump crews wouldn't go after the Straw Hats but I see no reason why the Emperors wouldn't have been focusing some of their resources on them with the revelation that some of them have the key poneglyphs.

I had that same question.

That really is all it is, a general representation, much like the map we saw recently of the 4 points that actually lead to Raftel, I don't think we are meant to take that as a concrete piece of info. Once the story got going it was very easy to question why no one had sailed there yet. If only one crew had made it there in all of known history there must have been some trick to it. White Beard's flash back with Roger should be a contradiction as well if all anyone had to do was follow the logs. I think even as far back as high school when I first saw that scene I questioned if following the log was all there was to it, especially with how mysterious it was all presented.

I agree with that. It's reasonable enough.

Lunar15

Who, outside of the government, would know what Robin could do?

It was my understanding that Robin went to Crocodile, not the other way around???

EDIT: It's ambiguous as to who contacted who first, but Crocodile clearly knows that Robin could read them... so the info is out there to those who wanted to find it.

Who, outside of the government, would know what Robin could do?

It was my understanding that Robin went to Crocodile, not the other way around???

The reason she has a bounty that high was probably leaked to the underworld a long time ago, I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if the big players know the truth.

Dragon knew about Nico Robin. But that implies that Dragon used to be a senior marine/wg insider or that he met the Ohara expedition. For the wg letting pirates or the underworld know that Robin could read the glyphs would be a disaster. Probably even Crocodile would see the information as too valuable or dangerous to sell to the brokers. I guess it's harder to hide if Robin is going around actively reading them in public.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Here's a good question: how come there weren't haki users in impel down? Iirc crocodile basically walked out of the place once his cuffs were removed (excluding Magellan and his poison) because nothing could touch him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dragon knew about Nico Robin. But that implies that Dragon used to be a senior marine/wg insider or that he met the Ohara expedition. For the wg letting pirates or the underworld know that Robin could read the glyphs would be a disaster. Probably even Crocodile would see the information as too valuable or dangerous to sell to the brokers. I guess it's harder to hide if Robin is going around actively reading them in public.
I really wonder about Dragon's past. He obviously figured out something about the WG, so it wouldn't be far fetched to say that he used to work for them. Especially considering the fact that Garp is his father.

Ray Down

Banned
I really wonder about Dragon's past. He obviously figured out something about the WG, so it wouldn't be far fetched to say that he used to work for them. Especially considering the fact that Garp is his father.

I imagine Dragon might have been like Suzaku from CG (But good) in the past, being the son of the hero of the marines and he comments to Sabo he probably wanted to change the Government and the world from the inside but some kinda event or just his attitude towards the Government overtime changed that.

I wonder what Dragon was like at a kid, plus whom ever Luffy mom is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Here's a good question: how come there weren't haki users in impel down? Iirc crocodile basically walked out of the place once his cuffs were removed (excluding Magellan and his poison) because nothing could touch him.

All the devil fruit users had sea stone handcuffs on at all times, remember that they had to get the keys for the cuffs early on, no need for haki in that scenario.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me to learn that he tried to follow in Garp's footsteps but went the CP route instead. That way he would have had a direct line as to what the WG is up to behind the scenes. He's seen some shit for sure.
The reason she has a bounty that high was probably leaked to the underworld a long time ago, I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if the big players know the truth.
I don't get how she managed to make it so far, though. Oda wants to paint the emperors as these all knowing crime lords with the head in the box example from Pekoms. That's fine, but if they knew who she was and what she could do then there's no excuse that she's managed to evade them for so long given their influence.
Pekoms made it seem like no one could escape Big Mom's influence if she really wanted to crush someone, so either Big Mom specifically doesn't give a shit about the Poneglyphs and Kaido is less competant then her, or it's a plot contrivance.

I've been thinking that with all the ships the yonkou have some could have found raftel by coincidence? Specially when you have some paths to follow.

So, maybe raftel is a sky island? An underwater island? An invisible island?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder what Dragon was like at a kid, plus whom ever Luffy mom is.
We're definitely going to see this in a flashback at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew Roger, also.

I don't get how she managed to make it so far, though. Oda wants to paint the emperors as these all knowing crime lords with the head in the box example from Pekoms. That's fine, but if they knew who she was and what she could do then there's no excuse that she's managed to evade them for so long given their influence.
Pekoms made it seem like no one could escape Big Mom's influence if she really wanted to crush someone, so either Big Mom specifically doesn't give a shit about the Poneglyphs and Kaido is less competant then her, or it's a plot contrivance.

Maybe Robin was really really good in keeping herself hidden during those years. Fake identity and the sort. Her picture in the bounty was really old too. The government couldn't find an adult picture of her for 20 years!

She stopped doing that and used her real name when she joined the Strawhats I believe. It seems they have been going free like this for a long time but it's because we have been reading One Piece for years. But the time the actual story happens is like.. from Luffy's start until Marineford it is like one year passed, I believe?? Robin enters in the middle of the journey so she stayed with them for a few months in the other half of the sea (away from the yonkou), and, after that, she spent two years hidden with the Revolutinary army. Since timeskip, I think only one month has passed. So, in other words, she has been "around" and "contactable" for a short time.

Maybe Robin was really really good in keeping herself hidden during those years. Fake identity and the sort. Her picture in the bounty was really old too. The government couldn't find an adult picture of her for 20 years!

She stopped doing that and used her real name when she joined the Strawhats I believe. It seems they have been going free like this for a long time but it's because we have been reading One Piece for years. But the time the actual story happens is like.. from Luffy's start until Marineford it is like one year passed, I believe?? Robin enters in the middle of the journey so she stayed with them for several months in the other half of the sea (away from the yonkou), and, after that, she spent two years hidden with the Revolutinary army. Since timeskip, I think only one month has passed. So, in other words, she has been "around" and "contactable" for a short time.
Not even.

How many time, then? I made a rough estimation based on perception, I don't know if Oda explained already.
The only official years that passed was the time skip. Just shows how quick the strawhats progress look how much happened between punk hazard,dressrosa and Zou and i think people were clocking that in at like a week and a couple days

The only official years that passed was the time skip. Just shows how quick the strawhats progress look how much happened between punk hazard,dressrosa and Zou and i think people were clocking that in at like a week and a couple days

Seems likely. Well, if it's even less time my point makes even more sense.

Crazy to think that the Strawhats have been in closer contact for less than a year.

She stopped doing that and used her real name when she joined the Strawhats I believe. It seems they have been going free like this for a long time but it's because we have been reading One Piece for years. But the time the actual story happens is like.. from Luffy's start until Marineford it is like one year passed, I believe?? Robin enters in the middle of the journey so she stayed with them for a few months in the other half of the sea (away from the yonkou), and, after that, she spent two years hidden with the Revolutinary army. Since timeskip, I think only one month has passed. So, in other words, she has been "around" and "contactable" for a short time.
Idk, to me it just seems as though something over the many years must have tipped them off in some way. Robin was involved in several illegal ventures including Alabasta and in almost all of the cases we see in the flashback, everyone finds out who she is eventually (not necessarily why she's wanted, just who she is).
I feel as though with what we know now about the emperors, something should have indicated her presence.

If not then, then certainly after she joined the strawhats which is probably an even bigger issue. You're telling me the one woman who could read the Poneglyphs was sailing around in a dinkie little crew on the Grand Line? Forget Oden, Kaido shoulda ate them for breakfast right after Alabasta.

There's probably a legit reason for all this we'll see soon, just gets me thinking.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I've been thinking that with all the ships the yonkou have some could have found raftel by coincidence? Specially when you have some paths to follow.

So, maybe raftel is a sky island? An underwater island? An invisible island?

It could be in a part of the sea no one goes to, like the Florian Triangle. Keep in mind that due to how the grand line works they can't just float around looking either. Odds are just having those four locations isn't enough, they'll likely need eternal posts for each of them to navigate there.

GaimeGuy

Okay, which dumbass at Toei decided to have a bunch of cuts to other characters during the King Kong Gun punch?

That's also bugged me for years. Now we know that anyone looking for Raftel would basically need to wage war to get all of the poneglyphs.

I suspect that ole Whitebeard was hiding one of the glyphs. We know Big Mom and Kaidou each have one, but there's a 4th one still out there. If Whitebeard wasn't hiding it, then the WG had to be.

GaimeGuy

Right - the emperors are essentially in a stalemate. Kaido has one glyph, big mom has another. Neither can get to One Piece without taking out the other. And no one else can get to it without going through both of them. And you need to be able to either read poneglyphs or hear the voice of all things.

... It's basically a dead end, but it kind of confirms why everything and everyone in the new world seems to be affiliated with one of the emperors - because it's the only way to make progress on finding One Piece

SolVanderlyn

I wonder if the unaccounted for Poneglyph is on the moon.

Edit: If it is, I called it, saving this post

smurfx

get some go again
pretty weak ending to the doflamingo fight. definitely doesn't have the same kind of flare the old big victories used to have. looks like it was a budget episode too.

It got the back rocket for it already, and I bet Franky would totally be up for something like that.

I don't know what to feel. I mean, them riding on that stream to get to skypiea was one of the most epic moments ever on a show/manga, but them going to space could be an easy "jumping the shark" moment.

Well, mostly because i'm no fan of that infamous enel cover story.

GaimeGuy

pretty weak ending to the doflamingo fight. definitely doesn't have the same kind of flare the old big victories used to have. looks like it was a budget episode too.

It was. There were like 2 or 3 10-15 second panning still frames of doflamingo's flap/kill thread attacks. And the angles were constantly changing throughout the episode to hide the budget animation. And, of course, the aforementioned cuts made during the King Kong Gun punch itself.

Imagine if, during the Jet Gatling attack on Lucci, the show cut to Usopp yelling "GO!!", and then cut back to the second half of the attack, when Lucci was knocked through the tower.

That's what they did here. Except they did it with every crewmember (including the "temporary" ones like the samurai and law).

They also pretty much copied the audio mixing from the Lucci fight. Same track, same timing, and everything.

It came off as terrible, and the shattering of the ground came off as far less impactful because it wasn't fully animated.

The original Kong Gun actually came off as more impactful in the show than King Kong Gun did..

Edit: Also, they reused the entire G4 transformation sequence, I think.

tumblr_o4bkvwdcNL1rn26jfo5_500.gif

tumblr_o4bkvwdcNL1rn26jfo6_500.gif

tumblr_o4bkvwdcNL1rn26jfo1_500.gif

Toei can be really good when they want.

RomanceDawn

Even the revolutionaries wanted Robin for a long time, they just never found her.

Kaidou and Big Mom probably had much more pressing issues to deal with in the New World rather than go searching for a needle in a hay stack.

Robin kept her self hidden for the most part and stayed in the under world. And like I said Kaidou already took over Wano, the creators of the stones themselves. He probably assumes everything he needs to read the glyphs is with the country and Momonosuke and his men.

Squishy3

I'm a sick bastard but I kind of just want there to be a filler episode about finding out what Doflamingo's eyes look like.

Just like how there was a filler episode of Naruto where they wanted to find out what was under Kakashi's mask.

Firestorm

I always thought One Piece lent itself really well to filler since there are all these islands for them to explore between the major plot islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom