• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I always figured it was just a sack of regular fruit, so when he killed a DF user their fruit would respawn in the sack, ala Smiley (and presumably Whitebeard).

I always figured it was just a sack of regular fruit, so when he killed a DF user their fruit would respawn in the sack, ala Smiley (and presumably Whitebeard).

I hadn't thought it that. I thought that either that sack could specifically restrain fruit users (like seastone) so you would put them in the bag for transport or that bad is what lets them transfer or store fruit powers.

Majukun

do you guys really never saw a stereotypical japanese thief foulard/bag?

Tac.png

uso-3-300x300.jpg

dorobou-090219.jpg

ika8-7.jpg

I think it's a take on that kind of design for the bag but right now, I refuse to believe that pattern just happens to look like the devil fruit pattern and means nothing else.

That's a good point though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How so? I mean, we obviously never saw them pick it up, but Burgess didn't have the bag on him after fighting Sabo.

Burgess had it, and now for some unknown reason Kinemon and Kanjuro picked it up.

Is Oda the type to show these details and never explain them?

We don't know that Burgess had that exact bag or that he dropped the one he was carrying.

We don't know that Burgess had that exact bag or that he dropped the one he was carrying.
Well yeah, obviously no one has outright stated they are the exact same bag or else we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Burgess has similar bag to the one Kinemon and Kanjuro are carrying.
Kinemon and Kanjuro didn't have the bag before.
Burgess didn't have the bag on him at Baltigo.

Burgess had it, and now for some unknown reason Kinemon and Kanjuro picked it up.

Is Oda the type to show these details and never explain them?

No he isn't. But maybe it's a "default" design he chose for those bags, assuming there are two bags.

Could be the same though. I have no idea. lol

No he isn't. But maybe it's a "default" design he chose for those bags, assuming there are two bags.

Could be the same though. I have no idea. lol

That's very possible, given Maju's point. The only reason I'd lean the other way is that Kinemon and Kanjuro are never shown with the bag befoe Burgess is defeated.

Taborcarn

I know we're expecting Wano to be the badass epic battleground, but what if the forces on both sides are filled with ridiculous goobers like the ones we've already met? A whole nation filled with Kanjuros and Raizous?

bjork

I know we're expecting Wano to be the badass epic battleground, but what if the forces on both sides are filled with ridiculous goobers like the ones we've already met? A whole nation filled with Kanjuros and Raizous?

Maybe it won't be a years-long battle, which is just fine with me.

That would be amazing. Especially since it's (most likely) not like those guys are actually incompetent when it comes to actual fighting. I love One Piece's goofy yet threatening villains

I could see the Goobers being the ones ready to rebel against the Shogun and the super serious traditionalists being on the Shogun's side.

Really curious to see what they're all like though. They're probably all kinda weird in some way after being isolated for so long.

smurfx

get some go again
guys burgess was shown to be weak because he is going to acquire a powerful devil fruit later on. that or oda is setting burgess up to be killed off by blackbeard for being useless.

Syntsui

guys burgess was shown to be weak because he is going to acquire a powerful devil fruit later on. that or oda is setting burgess up to be killed off by blackbeard for being useless.

This was heavily foreshadowed in his conversation with Laffite/Shilliew. I may be looking too much into it, but I got the impression they were way too insistent in knowing where he was so they could dispose his irrelevant weak ass.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This was heavily foreshadowed in his conversation with Laffite/Shilliew. I may be looking too much into it, but I got the impression they were way too insistent in knowing where he was so they could dispose his irrelevant weak ass.

I'd have to doublecheck but I think that was a translation issue.

I remember other people saying the same thing but the proper translation made it a lot softer and not seem like they wanted to just off him.

RomanceDawn

You can't really knock Burgess without knocking the rest of the crew. Almost every time we've seen the Black Beards they were more or less failing. They got some cheap shots in but they are still growing and almost every one of their accomplishments were done off screen. I think it's pretty cool actually.

Teach tries to intercept Luffy and capture him, he proceeds to get jacked up by the knock up stream. Teach and the gang invade Impel Down and in a flash are instantly defeated Magellan. They show up at the war and even without his fruit power a weakened Newgate easily had the edge over Teach. Then they all got blasted by Sengoku. They try to meet up with the marines to trade for a ship and high tail it when they realize Akainu is on board.

2 years ago Burgess was no match for Ace. Sabo grew up with Ace and they had fights day after day with almost an even score. There was no way that the guy who was almost equal to Ace was going to end up losing out to Burgess. At least not now, especially since we were given the set up way ahead of time that apparently the Black Beards aren't at their peak if they are searching out Devil Fruits to power up with.

I think it's pretty cool how Oda keeps portraying them, especially considering that they are end game villains(before the final world war or after, does't matter). Usually we see the biggest baddest people always looking their best until the hero comes in and saves the day. Not with the Black Beards, they are on their journey leveling up just like the Straw Hats. We hear about the amazing things they've accomplished but what we actually see shows how they can and do stumble along the way.

Oxn

I heavily suggested this when that chapter came out, and i got chewed out.

Glad some people agree with me.

Metal B

You can't really knock Burgess without knocking the rest of the crew. Almost every time we've seen the Black Beards they were more or less failing. They got some cheap shots in but they are still growing and almost every one of their accomplishments were done off screen. I think it's pretty cool actually.

Teach tries to intercept Luffy and capture him, he proceeds to get jacked up by the knock up stream. Teach and the gang invade Impel Down and in a flash are instantly defeated Magellan. They show up at the war and even without his fruit power a weakened Newgate easily had the edge over Teach. Then they all got blasted by Sengoku. They try to meet up with the marines to trade for a ship and high tail it when they realize Akainu is on board.

2 years ago Burgess was no match for Ace. Sabo grew up with Ace and they had fights day after day with almost an even score. There was no way that the guy who was almost equal to Ace was going to end up losing out to Burgess. At least not now, especially since we were given the set up way ahead of time that apparently the Black Beards aren't at their peak if they are searching out Devil Fruits to power up with.

I think it's pretty cool how Oda keeps portraying them, especially considering that they are end game villains(before the final world war or after, does't matter). Usually we see the biggest baddest people always looking their best until the hero comes in and saves the day. Not with the Black Beards, they are on their journey leveling up just like the Straw Hats. We hear about the amazing things they've accomplished but what we actually see shows how they can and do stumble along the way.

It's funny, because it's kind of the opposite, how end-game villains are presented in Manga. Mostly a mix of full of them self, arrogant, triumphant, effective, respected, scary, powerful and other similar attributes to show them as a threat from the beginning. But Blackbeard is completely different, which makes him so interesting. We only hear from his achievements and Shanks sees him a giant thread, but the reader similar to the Straw Hats are left in the dark (ha wordplay!). It's a great way to build him up and have him be a big surprise, even so he was introduce very early.

Ray Down

Banned
It's funny, because it's kind of the opposite, how end-game villains are presented in Manga. Mostly a mix of full of them self, arrogant, triumphant, effective, respected, scary, powerful and other similar attributes to show them as a threat from the beginning. But Blackbeard is completely different, which makes him so interesting. We only hear from his achievements and Shanks sees him a giant thread, but the reader similar to the Straw Hats are left in the dark (ha wordplay!). It's a great way to build him up and have him be a big surprise, even so he was introduce very early.

Plus unlike all the other villains in the series including Dolfa, Blackbeard is the only villain that encourages Luffy.

Unlike everyone else on Jaya who laughed at them, he encouraged them Luffy, Zoro and Nami to find Sky Island and that dreams never die.

Hell even thought he doubted it he still said Luffy had a chance at saving Ace in Impel Down and referenced Skypiea.

smurfx

get some go again
I honestly expected zushina to get rid of jack now idk what's going happen
she might be able to do some move to push him far away but then what? he easily found her again and he will keep doing it unless they get rid of the reason he keeps finding her. either they have a vivre card of zunisha or somebody else on her. if they sink his ship and destroy the vivre card then they could move on but if not jack will just come back and finish the job.

she might be able to do some move to push him far away but then what? he easily found her again and he will keep doing it unless they get rid of the reason he keeps finding her. either they have a vivre card of zunisha or somebody else on her. if they sink his ship and destroy the vivre card then they could move on but if not jack will just come back and finish the job.
So how do we think this will play out? Inu and neko vs jack? Or will the strawhats take him

smurfx

get some go again
So how do we think this will play out? Inu and neko vs jack? Or will the strawhats take him
i think they notice that he found her again and then have a short fight with him and destroy the vivre card. since law is there with them then he could easily find it and get rid of it and then sink his ship or have zunisha blast jacks ship away with water from her trunk.

O gosh i forgot where i posted that in.

In other news those interested in burning blood, Shanks, Koala,Ivanko, Jesus Burgess, Buggy, and Bon Clay are confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom