• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit, this is the first arc that genuinly makes me feel like the "New World" is on another level.

If too many of these guys decided to go straw hat hunting rather than joining them in the fight against Dofla, the main crew would've been royally screwed.

Don't think I've ever felt that way about an arc before.
Excluding any point where an Admiral decided to pop in to say hi, of course.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looking through the chapter
You just know there are people that will overreact to Kyros wanting to protect Rebecca. Because father's can't protect their daughters or else it's sexist.
/s

Loving the banter between Bartolomeo and Cavendish. If Barto becomes the leader of the Straw Hat's first fleet (a/la Whitebeard's fleets) and Cavendish joins, then I imagine lots of scenes between the two.

Jeez Dellinger is brutal. At least he's been taken out.

BatDan

Straw Hats are starting another war in the end of the manga. Zoro confirmed it in this chapter.

Whitebeard confirmed it as he was dying. Saying that once One Piece is found, there will be a war that will consume the entire world.

Metal B

You just know there are people that will overreact to Kyros wanting to protect Rebecca. Because father's can't protect their daughters or else it's sexist.
/s
Also, i hope Rebecca
stands for herself for once and delivers the final blow to Diamante, but probably won't happen...
I'm also on the boat, that Rebecca shouldn't fight. She already proved for many years in the arena, that she can fight and win without hurting other opponents. Kyros had the dream of a peaceful kingdom and live for his daughter. Violence and killing somebody was the worst mistake in his life. He didn't wanted his daughter to ever get in the same situation. Her being in the arena was hell for him. He finally wants to end this circle and give her a normal life. So Rebecca finishing Diamante or even killing him, would be a the ultimate defeat for Kyros.

aechris

Also, i hope Rebecca
stands for herself for once and delivers the final blow to Diamante, but probably won't happen...

I'd love for Kyros to do it. Revenge for his wife and for forcing his daughter to take up the sword. Guy has been hating on him the whole time he was a toy with no way to get it out. I think he deserves it way more than Rebecca does.

I loooooved this chap. Every page had something cool happening on it.

Nightbird

So because we get a leak we have to wait three weeks for a new issue instead of 2 waits of 2?

Yep. The next Chapter is expected to be online around the 15th of January.

We have to wait for a long Time Guys :/

Also, put me to the People who want Bart to Sail with the Strawhats, or at least have him be a Character who will appear a lot after Dressrosa. I love him xD

brook_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf79k.png
nami_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf79v.png
nicorobin_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf7a0.png
franky_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf7ad.png

Merry Christmas, One Piece GAF.

First come, first serve.

Lunar15

/s

Look, I hate to be that guy because I'm rarely that guy, but there have been a lot of pretty weird and awkward developments to One Piece lately in terms of how it treats female characters.

Sure, "Save this crying girl" has been an Oda staple since the beginning, and I don't think it's a horrible trope or anything. However, I feel like in this arc we've had three instances of that same trope, one of which was a villain who all of a sudden isn't evil anymore because she found a man she could follow.

I mean... when taken separately you could make a case that none of these things are that bad individually. But when it's all happening in the same arc it's kind of uncomfortable. I'm not going to denouce the comic and say that Oda is a terrible person or anything like that, but I have found it somewhat disappointing.

Hey, those are awesome! Can I use that Robin one?

Yep!

Don't worry, you're not "that guy". I feel the same.

Yeah I don't exactly get why it's an overreaction when people complain about something that ... Oda's kinda crap at?

Like fathers protecting their daughters is fine, but OP's never been that great at avoiding glaring issues in female representation to begin with.

Heck, usually I expect some sort of turnaround/pay off as Oda's a good writer. But more often than not a lot of his unfortunate tropes regarding female representation get played straight without subversion.

Yeah, normally I'm not someone who puts a lot of thought towards this issue, but that bit earlier where the vacuum-wielding prison guard got taken out with a kiss from Franky was really weird.

I'm okay with Kyros wanting to keep Rebecca from having to fight, knowing his character and his history it comes across as totally reasonable, but given how women tend to come across in One Piece I don't think people who are put off a bit by it are unreasonable.

Torraz

Haven't read the man's in around two months. Good idea to do a binge read now or better to wait for a basiskennis break like a new arc?

demidar

Yeah, normally I'm not someone who puts a lot of thought towards this issue, but that bit earlier where the vacuum-wielding prison guard got taken out with a kiss from Franky was really weird.

I'm okay with Kyros wanting to keep Rebecca from having to fight, knowing his character and his history it comes across as totally reasonable, but given how women tend to come across in One Piece I don't think people who are put off a bit by it are unreasonable.

The only excuse I can come up with is that Shounen Jump don't like depiction of guys beating up girls.

My only asspull evidence for this is that fight between Zoro and that Snow Harpy where Zoro slashed her but didn't really because it was a message that he could've killed her blah blah blah so as to avoid Zoro cutting a woman up.

Also they didn't beat Sugar up, they had to "scare" her to defeat her.

The only excuse I can come up with is that Shounen Jump don't like depiction of guys beating up girls.

My only asspull evidence for this is that fight between Zoro and that Snow Harpy where Zoro slashed her but didn't really because it was a message that he could've killed her blah blah blah so as to avoid Zoro cutting a woman up.

Also they didn't beat Sugar up, they had to "scare" her to defeat her.

I feel like that is a REALLY special case, beating a child + a girl could be too much so scaring her kinda makes sense. (and well, the tatababasco was made to knock her out).

And, didn't one of Naruto's most important antagonist's was a Woman? (haven't actually read that but i guess they actually beat her)...

And, didn't one of Naruto's most important antagonist's was a Woman? (haven't actually read that but i guess they actually beat her)...

She turned into a weird monster & then got sealed away.

Naruto's got a lot of different (albeit equally obnoxious) issues though.

The thing that bugged me most about the Monet fight was the unnecessary screwing around with Tashigi.

(small note: Sugar isn't actually a child, her power just permanently de-ages someone/slows down aging. #trivia)

She turned into a weird monster & then got sealed away.

Naruto's got a lot of different (albeit equally obnoxious) issues though.

The thing that bugged me most about the Monet fight was the unnecessary screwing around with Tashigi.

(small note: Sugar isn't actually a child, her power just permanently de-ages someone/slows down aging. #trivia)

Oh, ok, didn't know it was resolved that way.

I was thinking maybe Oda is going to play with this topic, specially with sanji. Maybe he creates a situation where the love-cook has to kick a woman to save someone from the crew (because seriously, his chivalry gets to a point where it could be dangerous, as we've seen with Violet, Kalifa, etc)

And i knew about Sugar being older, it's just that she actually acts like a child too so there's not much difference..

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oda's depiction of women started declining once he got married and again once he had kids. Now obviously I can't say for sure that these were the causes but it would make a lot of sense.

As for Kyros protecting Rebecca, there's nothing wrong with it on paper. The problem though is that Oda spent the first half of the arc hyping Rebecca as an undefeated serious gladiator who will do what it takes to defeat Doflamingo... Only for her to spend the rest of the arc running from every battle and needing to be protected 24-7. It's just a sharp contrast of personality and one that's not warranted unless we are to assume that Rebecca is a character who folds once she has a man who can battle in her stead (which is problematic, especially with all the other women issues we've been having this arc).

That said, I don't expect Oda to play this Kyros/Rebecca plot straight and she'll probably get involved at some point. Too many characters are mentioning her need to be protected for it to go nowhere: so either she's fighting or she's dying after Kyros fails to protect her. And since Bellamy is dedicated on being this arcs Krillin/Android 16, I'm gonna go with fighting. Bonus points if she uses Law's seastone shackles that are in the area rather than her idiotic blunt sword.

Zingerale

Banned
The way women are depicted in One Piece is a step forward compared to most mangas. Oda does a pretty good job with his female characters for the most part.

I think that Japan itself needs to grow in the way they view women in general.

aechris

The way women are depicted in One Piece is a step forward compared to most mangas. Oda does a pretty good job with his female characters for the most part.

I think that Japan itself needs to grow in the way they view women in general.

And I'd say he was doing a much better job of it before the time skip. I'm disappointed it's getting worse instead of better.

And I'd say he was doing a much better job of it before the time skip. I'm disappointed it's getting worse instead of better.

Yeah he wasn't great at it before the timeskip, but it wasn't as cringeworthy as it is now.

Robin better get a decent fight this arc btw, she's literally had squat throughout the entire manga.

Yeah some ridiculous looking D-tier guy on Skypiea, that's it.

Oda's situation with women is weird. Like, he plays a lot of stuff straight, like the Rebecca situation. But he also subverts some stuff, like the whole Zoro thinking women are weak thing on Punk Hazard. And then there's stuff that's kinda vague like Sanji's chivalry. Sometimes he plays that straight, like with Kalifa, but then he'll go and subvert it. Like Franky gave Sanji shit for his chivalry earlier in Dressrosa.

I think Oda's gonna address some things, but it's not going to totally fix/redeem his depiction of women.

BatDan

We'll never truly know. Oda very rarely communicates with the outside world. What we do get comes from the SBS and rare interviews. Hell, the man hates getting his photo taken.

Dugna

Wasn't the whole thing with Taishigi in Punk hazard only because she looks and acts like his old dead childhood friend who he adored and loved? I mean because other then that he has no problem treating other women like they're equals in fights. He wiped out so many women during the time leading up to Alabasta.

Sanji's the only one who goes at points where he treats women lightly in battle, as with how even though he outclassed Kalifa in strength and skill could never finish her off because she was a woman. Nami even scolded him for that, he explained that he got it beat into him to treat a lady nice.

Also Robin has never been the type to be great in combat the only reason she was ever notorious was because she has knowledge that rarely anybody else in the world has. Heck even more evidence was when robin tried lying against Crocodile and got stabbed. So I never think she will ever have a straight up fight with anybody in the new world unless it's absolutely necessary. There's a reason she helped out Usopp with the plan involving Sugar, it's her expertise.

Also Robin has never been the type to be great in combat the only reason she was ever notorious was because she has knowledge that rarely anybody else in the world has. Heck even more evidence was when robin tried lying against Crocodile and got stabbed. So I never think she will ever have a straight up fight with anybody in the new world unless it's absolutely necessary. There's a reason she helped out Usopp with the plan involving Sugar, it's her expertise.

Uh, what?

My issue is that Robin hasn't had any worthwhile one-on-one fight beyond the one against a complete fodder character in Skypiea.

I'm not asking for her to suddenly be as strong as Luffy or Zoro. Plenty of Straw Hats that aren't particularly great fighters (Usopp, Nami and Chopper, who Usopp refers to as the "weakling trio") have gotten at least a bunch of solid one on one fights.

Considering Robin's supposed intelligence she should easily function well in Usopp-esque underdog fights where her power isn't perfect against the enemy in question, but she uses her intellect to win/put up a fight.

RomanceDawn

Rebecca may have wanted to stop Doflamingo but she certainly wasn't some hardened battle girl ready for anything. She only defeated opponents with ring outs anyway. After all the memories came flooding back and learning how her mother died and by who I think she is being played up naturally. She's up against Doflamingo's executives for crying out loud. There was no way she was going to do a single thing to any of them with her fighting style. Of course she could go up against her father's wishes and try to help him out anyway.

Just jumping in about Monet. Zoro certainly made it clear there are certain things he'd rather not cut but his treatment of Monet was exactly like that of Hyozou. They weren't worth Zoro's time and he gave them both a chance to escape, a trait he certainly learned from Mihawk.

Dugna

Uh, what?

My issue is that Robin hasn't had any worthwhile one-on-one fight beyond the one against a complete fodder character in Skypiea.

I'm not asking for her to suddenly be as strong as Luffy or Zoro. Plenty of Straw Hats that aren't particularly great fighters (Usopp, Nami and Chopper, who Usopp refers to as the "weakling trio") have gotten at least a bunch of solid one on one fights.

Considering Robin's supposed intelligence she should easily function well in Usopp-esque underdog fights where her power isn't perfect against the enemy in question, but she uses her intellect to win/put up a fight.

Here is the thing though, while Nami and chopper (and sometimes Usopp) are part of the weakling trio of the straw hat pirates. Robin still doesn't have the power that Usopp, Nami and Chopper have. Usopp has his hopps that spawn into different monsters or explode into different kinds of firepower.

Nami can wield things like lightning to her whim and lightning is still a raw element that hurts alot. Chopper can change into beasts that have raw strength to weild.

All robin can do is clone her strength (which isn't much to begin with) and attack with that, she quite literally has nothing else but her devil fruit powers and her physical strength to use with her intelligence.

Lightning and explosives are more useful then robin's meh strength slaps with his clones. There's a reason she avoids fights mostly.

demidar

Robin can make giant body parts now, I think she has more physical strength than before

Also, Happy Birthday Oda

Well I mean that's not saying much, like Chinjao's headbutt could probably take out a giant limb with ease.

iirc any damage clone limbs take are reflected on Robin, so what she's really doing is duplicating her vulnerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom