• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Next week's Jump is going to have the FIFTH One Piece popularity poll results.

Who will make the Top 10?
Will there be a surprising darkhorse?
Don't disappoint me Japanese kids.

Frog-fu

Banned
lol
Code:
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/5e9c3d1303e2f4e89b0c49c91bb83d6f/tumblr_inline_nfvksco0x61r66ny7.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/f80dd17370726f3b17b00b62599f73bb/tumblr_inline_nfvkshqAY01r66ny7.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/f404ceadfbd719771ef0fdacf47de610/tumblr_inline_nfvksmZ9Ye1r66ny7.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/2efb96c006e40eab365d95ddcdbb4f1d/tumblr_inline_nfvksr9ZDJ1r66ny7.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/567fe511a47815c05b60fc8909341adc/tumblr_inline_nfvkt03wT81r66ny7.png[/IMG]
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/6fa480c74490ef614283a36ebf6ea76f/tumblr_inline_nfvkt6e9gv1r66ny7.png[/IMG]

Zeppu

So after the discovery of One Piece Coloured, I decided to reread some older volumes. I started from the crew's arrival to Saobondy and their split up.

First of all, I highly recommend checking out the coloured volumes. They are beautifully coloured, and makes it much easier to follow, even in the confusion of the Marineford arc.

Samples:
tNgIKBD.jpg

wdiUblX.jpg

V89a1A0.jpg

Secondly, I got back to Mermaid island and, much like the first time round, I lost interest. I really think that was the weakest arc of the whole series. Sometime when reading week to week you can get the feeling an arc is dragging and nothing is happening, but rushing through it that all vanishes and turns into "one-more-chapter-and-i'll-go-to-sleep" until 3am in the morning. This one just doesn't though. Anyone else feel this way?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The colored chapters are kinda neat but I definitely prefer the OG black and white. I'm a stickler for artistic intent like that.

Lirlond

So after the discovery of One Piece Coloured, I decided to reread some older volumes. I started from the crew's arrival to Saobondy and their split up.

First of all, I highly recommend checking out the coloured volumes. They are beautifully coloured, and makes it much easier to follow, even in the confusion of the Marineford arc.

Samples:

Secondly, I got back to Mermaid island and, much like the first time round, I lost interest. I really think that was the weakest arc of the whole series. Sometime when reading week to week you can get the feeling an arc is dragging and nothing is happening, but rushing through it that all vanishes and turns into "one-more-chapter-and-i'll-go-to-sleep" until 3am in the morning. This one just doesn't though. Anyone else feel this way?

Whoah I did the exact same thing recently, the coloured chapters are so goddamn beautiful.

Next week's Jump is going to have the FIFTH One Piece popularity poll results.

Who will make the Top 10?
Will there be a surprising darkhorse?
Don't disappoint me Japanese kids.

You know who's totally gonna lose his spot in the poll?

Sanji. We haven't seen the guy in over a year.

Yo, those colored chapters are great. If they sold them in the west, I would double-dip hard.

I don't. For me, Fishman Island was better when I binged through it again. There's still a lot of problems, but it's not as bad as others make it out to be.
Have you tried skimming through it? Maybe skipping ahead has made you lose some attachment to reading it.

Zeppu

Yo, those colored chapters are great. If they sold them in the west, I would double-dip hard.

I don't. For me, Fishman Island was better when I binged through it again. There's still a lot of problems, but it's not as bad as others make it out to be.
Have you tried skimming through it? Maybe skipping ahead has made you lose some attachment to reading it.

Ugh. I spoke too soon. As soon as the flashbacks hit I got hooked. Ended up binging till 4am-ish. Dammit I'm not a teenager anymore, I need to sleep at a sensible time.

Edit: Oh shit Koala. I had never made the connection.

RomanceDawn

I love Fishman island! I absolutely adore it! Even with that wacky flash back jumping around with a super confusing time line. I will say that the whole racism is bad thing got laid on super thick but besides that I really loved it because of that very subject matter. Not to mention I love Jinbe and can't wait to see him join the crew.

The thing about Fishman island is that more so than any other arc there were so many sub plots that are only promised to be fulfilled later. While the major portion of the story was concluded(kinda) there are so many branches that will undoubtedly be fully explored that are going to have super duper major implications on the story.

i too like fishman island. The handling of the fishman race issue, with otohime being the peaceful side and fisher tiger as the violent radical, seeing the crew back together after two (real life) years, stuff like that. I also liked that it was a soft reboot, since I was worried that after the timeskip things wouldn't feel the same

BatDan

I do appreciate Oda not taking the easy way out and saying that "all Fishman racism is over". The tension is clearly there, and will likely never be fully solved, but the Straw Hats presence did show the younger generation that "not every human is a monster". Something Hody and his crew never learned, and grew up with the idea that humans are the worst and must all die, despite never experiencing them first hand.

Which Toei fucked up by adding a filler scene of humans chasing Hody as a kid. Nice job!

BatDan

Chapter 771 spoilers (courtesy of redon at ArlongPark)

- One Piece 5th Official Characters' Popularity Poll TOP 10 (not in order): Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Ace, Hancock, Sabo, Law and Bartolomeo.
- Baby 5 wants to marry Sai. Chinjao was disappointed at Sai becuase of Sai's kindness.
- Chinjao tried to attack Baby 5 with his head. Sai stopped it but Chinjao's head was crooked​.
- Lao G raided Chinjao. Chinjao was down.
- Sai told Lao G and Baby 5 that he will marry Baby 5 as new commander of the Happo Navy when he wins.
- Sai kicked Lao G to death valley. Baby 5 fell in love.

Dugna

Fishman Island felt natural to me, (not because it was exactly the next destination they had to go though) it just felt like the right beginning to the 2nd half of the series because of how big Arlong was to the beginning of the first half.

That and it was really fun to see the crew try out new things and have some laid back fun in battle for once.

Nightbird

Is it safe to post the Picture with the Results of the Popularity Contest?

@Chapter 771:
I somehow hated the first half of the Chapter, but the second half totally redeemed it. I like Sai a lot now, and Baby 5 wanting to be his Wife now doesn't seem that random as it seemed to be at the beginning of the Chapter

BatDan

Popularity Poll results:

1. Luffy.
2. Law
3. Zoro
4. Sanji
5. Sabo
6. Ace
7. Chopper
8. Nami
9. Bartolomeo
10. Hancock

The rest (taken from redon at Arlong Park because I'm too lazy to type it all up)

11 - Nico Robin.
12 - Marco.
13 - Usopp.
14 - Shanks.
15 - Crocodile.
16 - Franky.
17 - Donquixote Doflamingo.
18 - Eustass Kid.
19 - Brook.
20 - Mr. 2 - Bon Clay.
21 - Perona.
22 - Aokiji (Kuzan).
23 - Dracule Mihawk.
24 - Nefertari Vivi.
25 - Smoker.
26 - Edward Newgate
27 - Cavendish.
28 - Shirahoshi.
29 - Rebecca.
30 - Koala.
31 - Kyros.
32 - Silvers Rayleigh.
33 - Bepo.
34 - Buggy.
35 - Jinbe.
36 - Fujitora.
37 - Caesar Clown.
38 - Koby.
39 - Benn Beckman.
40 - Sugar.
41 - Rob Lucci.
42 - Señor Pink.
43 - Pell.
44 - Kizaru (Borsalino).
45 - Kaku.
46 - Viola (Violet).
47 - Akainu (Sakazuki).
48 - Urouge.
49 - Enel.
50 - Marguerite/Eiichiro Oda.
52 - Corazón/Penguin.
54 - Basil Hawkins.
55 - Bellamy/Baby 5.
57 - Monet.
58 - X Drake.
59 - Pauly/Vergo.
61 - Killer.
62 - Thatch.
63 - Carue.
64 - Emporio Ivankov/Tashigi.
66 - Helmeppo.
67 - Jewelry Bonney/Marshall D. Teach
69 - Hannyabal/Izou.
71 - Zephyr (Z).
72 - Gekko Moriah.
73 - Dr. Hiruluk.
74 - Monkey D. Garp.
75 - Scratchmen Apoo.
76 - Makino/Miss Valentine/Delliner/Gladius/Spandam.
81 - Tonjit/Bell-mère/Wiper/Monkey D. Dragon.
85 - Bartholomew Kuma.
86 - Kanjuro/Wicca.
88 - Kaya/Shachi/Farafra/Gaimon/Arlong.
93 - Going Merry/Kuro.
95 - Kumashi/Kohza.
97 - Camel.
98 - Diamante/Dadan/Madame Shyarly.
101 - Tyrannosaurus/Gin/Leo/Pica.

BatDan

Usopp is 13th?

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

Kids can't appreciate the greatness of God Usopp
I'm surprised Sanji placed so high considering he's been absent for at least a year now (factoring in Oda's breaks).

And Brook got beat by Eustass Kid, who hasn't shown up since that one scene where he formed an alliance with Basil Hawkins and Scatchman Apoo.

Jigolo

Corazon 52

:(

Edit: that chapter was funny. Little progression but I've never read an OP chapter like that. Also that cover spread..... Bart a straw hat after this whole thing finishes.

Kater

Banned
Kids can't appreciate the greatness of God Usopp
I'm surprised Sanji placed so high considering he's been absent for at least a year now (factoring in Oda's breaks).

And Brook got beat by Eustass Kid, who hasn't shown up since that one scene where he formed an alliance with Basil Hawkins and Scatchman Apoo.
Kids love the more edgy characters like Eustass.

Brook being 19th is a shame too, but then he didn't have a good fight since Fishman Island if I remember correctly.

---

Just read Chapter 771. Love how that one turned out and that we finally got to understand Baby 5 a little bit more.

Lunar15

Wow, that was an awful chapter.

Internal politics between people I don't care about, Baby 5 being an awful character, nothing happening in general. And this is pretty crazy because I never complain about chapters. Ever.

Grexeno

Lao G got DESTROYED. We are slowly but surely getting rid of all the Donquixote Family executives before we get around to the big guns.

Corazon 52

:(

Edit: that chapter was funny. Little progression but I've never read an OP chapter like that. Also that cover spread..... Bart a straw hat after this whole thing finishes.

I would be happy with this. He's a hilarious character with fairly good heart that's dependable when all is said and done. Plus, his design is really unique and interesting.

I really enjoyed this chapter as well. Even though people are complaining about going into these stories with side characters that don't really add to the main story or main fights, it feels nice to get a little bit of development and back story with each character. I like how Don Chinjao finally passed the torch to the younger age and subsequently Baby 5 found someone who would marry her. Funny little stories like this make me love the story overall more and more.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
More skirmishes between a million non-straw-hats that I don't care about, but much better than the previous chapter at least. I liked the stuff that was goin on. I expect Baby 5 will leave the family with the Happou navy at the end of the arc, and show up again when they invariably support the Straw Hats in some grand campaign near the end of the manga.

Why is Robin lower then Nami?

WTF
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I am going to reread One Piece from chapter in again.... but in colour

It has been awhile... plus I will enjoy all the foreshadowing

BatDan

Read the chapter (through the "better" guys)

I liked it. Beginning was funny, and Sai is showing that he'll probably be a worthy ally to the Straw Hats after this arc ends.
Baby 5 is nuts, but that flashback... yikes.
Though I question some of the translation... like if Sai is Chinjao's grandson, why does he want him to marry his daughter? There's a problem here.
Also, Chinjao has a 5 billion Berry bounty? No. That has to be wrong too.

Seriously, why can't anyone translate this series properly?

Oh wait, there's Aohige! His summary says that the "daughter" is from a different navy. Okay, that makes sense now.

one piece 771

hey, I liked that chapter! two donquixote pirates down and we got some sai development. Also, poor Baby 5

Oh yeah, crazy that Luffy is No.1 in the polls AGAIN

The rankings are no surprise, the characters people find attractive are always gonna place higher

I would be happy with this. He's a hilarious character with fairly good heart that's dependable when all is said and done. Plus, his design is really unique and interesting.

I really enjoyed this chapter as well. Even though people are complaining about going into these stories with side characters that don't really add to the main story or main fights, it feels nice to get a little bit of development and back story with each character. I like how Don Chinjao finally passed the torch to the younger age and subsequently Baby 5 found someone who would marry her. Funny little stories like this make me love the story overall more and more.

Agree completely. Even then this chapter did move the plot a little bit, and that's more than what we can say about the last one.

daveo42

Banned
Even if we are hitting some of the smaller fights, these chapters have been good. There were definitely some good gag moments in here as well, but damn at that Baby 5 flashback. Wasn't even expecting that dark a past for her, but it does help explain why she does what she does all of the damn time.

Sai will need to drill some sense into her.

If Law gets any more angsty he is going to be more popular than Luffy with the kids. Oda should kill him off pretty quickly to save the series. Arf. Or at least do what they did to Sasuke.

If Law gets any more angsty he is going to be more popular than Luffy with the kids. Oda should kill him off pretty quickly to save the series. Arf. Or at least do what they did to Sasuke.

He has a sad backstory, like most characters. His appeal was always how serious/cool-headed he was. I have seen nothing about him that seems angsty

edit: probably not street legal

He has a sad backstory, like most characters. His appeal was always how serious/cool-headed he was. I have seen nothing about him that seems angsty

edit: probably not street legal

The thing about Law is that he is always concerned that the odds he is facing are impossible and that he is facing them alone. Everything to him is a struggle. Yes he is serious but just being a serious character in a comedy manga is not enough to get the kids to identify with him too much. Luffy is a character with almost no angst since he just believes that he can do everything and has total faith that people who he trusts will come through for him.

Kater

Banned
The thing about Law is that he is always concerned that the odds he is facing are impossible and that he is facing them alone. Everything to him is a struggle. Yes he is serious but just being a serious character in a comedy manga is not enough to get the kids to identify with him too much. Luffy is a character with almost no angst since he just believes that he can do everything and has total faith that people who he trusts will come through for him.
But that's what makes his interactions with the Strawhats all the more entertaining since he is so completely different to them. I am sure that he will loosen up a bit when he leaves them after all this is over. Unless he dies in this arc of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom