• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the thing though, while Nami and chopper (and sometimes Usopp) are part of the weakling trio of the straw hat pirates. Robin still doesn't have the power that Usopp, Nami and Chopper have. Usopp has his hopps that spawn into different monsters or explode into different kinds of firepower.

Nami can wield things like lightning to her whim and lightning is still a raw element that hurts alot. Chopper can change into beasts that have raw strength to weild.

All robin can do is clone her strength (which isn't much to begin with) and attack with that, she quite literally has nothing else but her devil fruit powers and her physical strength to use with her intelligence.

Lightning and explosives are more useful then robin's meh strength slaps with his clones. There's a reason she avoids fights mostly.

I'm not sure what you're arguing? Robin is the only straw hat so pathetically weak that she simply can't have a worthwhile 1 on 1 fight versus a worthwhile enemy?

I don't buy that for a second, Usopp got 1 on 1 fights with named/significant enemies as far back as East Blue where he wasn't just pathetic, but a complete coward to boot. Even if Robin avoids 1 on 1 fights and is so pathetic that she's actually by far the weakest straw hat even compared to the weakling trio (something I do not buy for a second) Oda could still write the story in such a way that she'd be able to get a decent one on one fight.

Something like Usopp coincidentally being the "perfect" counter to Perona is a fairly easy way to make an unlikely character get a 1 on 1 match in the narrative.

With Robin's unique devil fruit & intelligence there should be plenty of ways for her to get in a simular situation and hold her own.

As for the power of her limbs: Before Fishman Island she used her giant limbs to push the thousand sunny away from sharp rocks, this makes it quite obvious that her giant limbs have at least the physical power to move/lift a decent sized ship with her power alone.

- Honestly though, Robin being "weak" or not is irrelevant. If fights were distributed based on strength why have non-monster trio battles alone?

Robin's de facto the only strawhat to get continuously shafted in terms of proper battles.

demidar

The problem with robin is that she can either use her power to quickly overwhelm someone or she needs help. She is like a glass cannon in an rpg.

Following that logic, maybe Robin works best in a 2v2/3v3 type of fight.

The only fight I can remember that was like that (not 1v2 or FFA) is Chopper + Usopp vs. the mole and that other person during Alabasta arc.

The only fight I can remember that was like that (not 1v2 or FFA) is Chopper + Usopp vs. the mole and that other person during Alabasta arc.

I was really hoping we'd get that when Robin & Usopp were sent on a mission together, a good old Alabastap-style joint match.

But nope, Robin got turned in a doll.

Robin doesn't get fights because it's extremely difficult to write them.

I think it's because her power is too strong.

And being difficult shouldn't stop Oda from trying, he's creative enough.
Araki (JoJo) and Togashi (HxH) are very creative using more "difficult" abilities.

But post timeskip I've just accepted that side characters, Zoro and Luffy will do the most fighting and have the most screentime. That's a problem of it's own.
When was the last time we saw Sanji, Nami, Brook and Chopper? A year ago or more?

Sanji is supposed to be part of the Monster Trio, yet he has done close to nothing this arc. Sanji's character post timeskip is also a problem of it's own, I think that Franky has done more then him and is more deserving of the third spot in the Trio by now.

Magwik

Banned
I think it's because her power is too strong.

And being difficult shouldn't stop Oda from trying, he's creative enough.
Araki (JoJo) and Togashi (HxH) are very creative using more "difficult" abilities.

But post timeskip I've just accepted that side characters, Zoro and Luffy will do the most fighting and have the most screentime. That's a problem of it's own.
When was the last time we saw Sanji, Nami, Brook and Chopper? A year ago or more?

oh fuck it has been a year, hasn't it?

Lunar15

I don't disagree that Robin's power makes fights difficult to write, however, I think Oda's creative enough to come up with an enemy that can counter/match her in a fight.

That being said, Robin not being in fights is largely inconsequential next to just the sheer amount of fan-service only roles other characters are being given, coupled with their lack of responsibility when shit hits the fan. The awkwardness stems from the large amount of female characters that fall into exactly one stereotype: a woman who is exploited and then requires the aid of a male character. You can argue sexism all you want, but I'm more concerned with the fact that this is becoming very, very lazy and redundant writing. We get it, boys are emotionally driven by protecting a defenseless girl, but at this point we've been there done that. Shake it up a bit.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Technically, Chopper & Robin vs Hogback, Cindry and Sanji & Zoro's shadows was a thing. Though it never felt like a full fight.

Dugna

So why do you all seem to think Robin's power is broken? I mean the only thing I can think of that we have seen that she can do is maybe summon a hand inside her enemies body (just a guess). Even then all the person has to do if they were competent in haki is protect themselves, Robin doesn't seem to proficient in Haki at all.

Note I'm not saying Robin is useless in the series, if she wasn't with the straw hats it would feel off.

On the subject of saving people in the series, Oda just has a fetish for that trope. It isn't specified against any sex. Every single crew member including Luffy has been saved from their past troubles by each other.

So why do you all seem to think Robin's power is broken? I mean the only thing I can think of that we have seen that she can do is maybe summon a hand inside her enemies body (just a guess). Even then all the person has to do if they were competent in haki is protect themselves, Robin doesn't seem to proficient in Haki at all.

Note I'm not saying Robin is useless in the series, if she wasn't with the straw hats it would feel off.

On the subject of saving people in the series, Oda just has a fetish for that trope. It isn't specified against any sex. Every single crew member including Luffy has been saved from their past troubles by each other.

It's more that it has the potential to be insanely strong.
If she knew Armament Haki and some kind of martial art like Rokushiki, combo that with the ability to clone yourself, that would make a majority of fights trivial. Robin would probably be one to have Observation Haki, though.
Of course I think the massive weakness is that she feels pain from whatever she makes. That kind of makes fighting anyone but big slow guys or armies of mooks dangerous since she isn't that fast and doesn't have good defensive capabilities.

It's not as good as some other Paramecia that are close to being broken like Kuma's and Whitebeard's.

Zeppu

So I just finished a whole read through of One Piece up to the end of Punk Hazard.

What a ride. As I mentioned before, I was never really a fan of Fishman island, and I wasn't too fond of Thriller bark either. However that's because it hadn't had the pleasure of reading through them in succession. The weekly format makes the story go by painfully slow at time, but I was surprised how quick and condensed Thriller bark was.

All in all, sheer pleasure through and through. I feel as if Dressrosa will be even more enjoyable once it'll be possible to read it all through at one go.

Kabuto

we're back boys.

With Gladius down, all the officers are defeated(Baby 5 is reformed for now, I guess).

Diamante vs. Robin, Kyros, & Rebecca is gonna be real good.

Zeppu

I just want Bart to join just so I can have someone else lapping up Usopp's stories. That would be all sorts of amazing.

I wonder if Robin's gonna supply Kyros with a second leg so he can fight properly.

really awesome chapter...

And Barrier man better join...

Then again, I thought boa was absolutely hilarious and we haven't seen her in over a year, so who knows how Oda's minds works lol...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And that's why Robin doesn't get fights. She's too OP if she can catch Hakuba.
Great chapter though.

Barrier Barrier Pistol! Bartolomeo the best.

daveo42

Banned
Great chapter this week. Bart doing some damn fine work and Robin showing off how OP she truly is. I wonder if we'll get some action from her in the fight with Diamante.

brook_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf79k.png
nami_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf79v.png
nicorobin_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf7a0.png
franky_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d8bf7ad.png

Merry Christmas, One Piece GAF.

First come, first serve.

Question: Is Brook still claimed or is it available now?

Lunar15

Dang, what a great chapter. Robin doing work! Really! Glad she was able to show up to save someone else for a change. Meanwhile, both Cavendish and Bartolomeo are stupendous. Oda's so great at getting you to love characters you've only known for a short amount of time.

Bartolomeo is a great character. I'm glad to see him taking down Gladius. The Hakuba and Cavendish split is really interesting and I wonder if we'll see it come to play later in the future. Robin was also really good and it will be nice to see her in a fight again.

Great chapter this week. Bart doing some damn fine work and Robin showing off how OP she truly is. I wonder if we'll get some action from her in the fight with Diamante.

Don't see the person who claimed him using it, so go ahead!

Also:

WOOH ROBIN FIGHT! She's not had a proper fight since skypiea, let's go! Don't let me down Oda!

My God what a chapter. That Robin manhandle, that Dragonball homage

Robin is the best female strawhat

the polls are wrong.... who cares for Nami

Hey I like Nami! Sure Robin is the best but I enjoy Nami's personality. She's like Catwoman mixed with a Bond girl with a dash of early Dragonball Bulma.

Just when we were talking about Robin and Oda's female characters.

Fucking amazing. Bartolomeo needs to join, that attack was like a clear homage to luffy. And Robin being able to catch Hakuba was really something else, she's amazing.

Korosenai

Yeah I was using it, but i switched back to this berserk avatar.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I am pretty sure sometime during this fight robin is going to give kratos a le fleur leg and he is going to wreck shit.

Also did I miss it or is franky still fighting senor pink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom