• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Looks like Luffy can go all out now.

Limbs cut-off? Law to the rescue!

Beaten to near death? Mancherie to the rescue!

So Law and Kyros will get there limbs back now..... cool.

I hope the straw hates get at least a vial of senzu beans before they leave town

wtf. Franky is still fighting, Looooool. And it's a blur but I thought Zoro had finished Pika

Zoro hasn't found a way to reliably hit Pika's real body yet, due to his power.

Last we saw Zoro I think he told king punch guy to go away cause they might need his power later.
To blow up the SAD/Smiley factory obviously.)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
main executives still active: Diamante, Trebol and Pika.

Minor crew still active: Senor Pink.

Step your game up, Franky.

Franky's fight should end next week.... Also give him credit he basically was fighting the nave and two executives at the same time for half this arc

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I foresee these healing abilities to be plot device'd out once they serve whatever singular purpose Oda has on mind for them.

RomanceDawn

It's just funny that literally the only low-tier executive remaining is the one fighting a straw hat. :p

Gotta save the most important fights for later!

Really though, I feel like Pink could go down even after Diamente or Trebol. Well he can go down before them but he probably lasted as long as he did because of the Smile Factory. That will be the final straw that probably really has Doflamingo feeling that all his work and even livelihood has been completely destroyed.

Manshelly can heal but no way she can completely regenerate full limbs and organs. There will certainly be a limit. Now if you stuck Law's arm back into it's socket I could see that healing but not just regrowing an entire arm.

Good chapter, glad Manshelly is saved and that lose end is tied up.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's possible that Mancherie's power can reattach limbs, but it can't regrow them. So Kyros will always be without his leg.

This chapter was necessary so we can get the answer to Manshelly's power and her rescue out of the way. Leo finally got a chance to do something besides running, too.

Wait, so Manshelly can heal any wound on a living person only? No after-death resurrection.

daveo42

Banned
The heal-heal power seems a bit OP, but I'm guessing there are some limitations to keep it from being too OP where you get your limbs back. I have a feeling that Chopper would want to get a hold of some to mess with, but since he's not around it'll probably be more a one-and-done kind of deal for the big fight with Doffy.

I am guessing that the Heal Heal Power could technically heal Laws arm back together but in order to due that he'd still need his severed limb something that Kyros doesn't have which likely means he wouldn't get his leg back compared to Law and his arm

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oh how convenient for Law. Just a short distance from him there is now someone who can stitch any two things together and someone with the power to heal any wounds. Little too obvious there, Oda!

gCmSMH7.png

Lol you can see Frank and Senor dancing off in the background.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mancherie's (shouldn't it be Moncherie?) devil fruit is so damn op Luffy should kidnap her (they are pirates, damn it). She is the Orihime of OP but without tits, I wonder if that's a jab at Tite or something.

And as usual Robin has gone back to being useless. One chapter every two hundred must be too many for her.
I don't think she's anything like Orihime. Seems like she's more of a Curaga than a Phoenix Down. While she's rather overpowered in this arc with all the damage and convenient situations, she'd be pretty useless in the series overall. I mean who needs magic tears to heal when eating meat gives you the same effect?

Heal Heal fruit has got to have some drawback, like a time or damage restraint. If she can heal Kyros' leg then that's getting into OP territory.

Then again since no one kills each other in this it's already pretty OP

Tontattas are invisible to most people so for them this is a chapter where nothing happens.

Still predicting that Leo is going to be important to beating Doffy as well as Moncheri being important. Also Leo for next strawhat.

jercruz

So Law and Kyros will get there limbs back now..... cool.

I hope the straw hates get at least a vial of senzu beans before they leave town

Law's arm is still next to him, he can probably attach that himself (since he can extract his heart for example). Just an assumption, we don't know if his fruit can do that.

I doubt Mancherie's powers can regrow lost limbs. Just heal them to 100% of their current self. But if it can, that's waaaay OP.

OR maybe Luffy will get his "round 2" loss (nearly beaten to death), then Mancherie will heal him, then it's off to round 3.

Kreed

Robin doesn't get fights because it's extremely difficult to write them.

Robin doesn't get fights because Oda doesn't want to create two female enemies for her and Nami to fight at any given time.

Too difficult to write? With a character like Law running around? People need to just accept Oda doesn't want to give his female characters meaningful fights anymore and plans on keeping Nami and Robin in support roles.

Zeppu

Regarding this ongoing debate as to Robin and fights, I just think that really, the truth is much simpler. The crew is split into two groups. The ones who go eagerly picking fights, and those who only fight when it is literally the only option. The latter group, besides the women, also includes Usopp and Chopper. Both provide support, much like the women, but don't actively go seeking fights like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and Franky do.

When you look at the complex, consistent personalities of the crew, you can very easily see how Usopp and Chopper are constantly scared of what's ahead, sometimes while pretending to be brave. In very much the same fashion, Usopp's only real, proper, fight was against Luffy, there rest were as quickly resolved (usually in a hilarious fashion) as any scenarios Nami or Robin get into. Pretty much the same with Chopper, where he feels overwhelmed and ends up turning into Monster Chopper. Brook is somewhere in between, I think.

Everyone has a role and a purpose on the ship. Nami's navigational skills and Usopps marksmanship shine in other ways than just in the 1-on-1 fights. I like it.

Robin's role in Dressrosa isn't set in stone yet. I don't expect her to stay in the fight with Diamante.
Let's not jump to conclusions and wait a few more chapters to see what Robin and Kyros will do.

Kreed

Regarding this ongoing debate as to Robin and fights, I just think that really, the truth is much simpler. The crew is split into two groups. The ones who go eagerly picking fights, and those who only fight when it is literally the only option. The latter group, besides the women, also includes Usopp and Chopper. Both provide support, much like the women, but don't actively go seeking fights like Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and Franky do.

When you look at the complex, consistent personalities of the crew, you can very easily see how Usopp and Chopper are constantly scared of what's ahead, sometimes while pretending to be brave. In very much the same fashion, Usopp's only real, proper, fight was against Luffy, there rest were as quickly resolved (usually in a hilarious fashion) as any scenarios Nami or Robin get into. Pretty much the same with Chopper, where he feels overwhelmed and ends up turning into Monster Chopper. Brook is somewhere in between, I think.

Everyone has a role and a purpose on the ship. Nami's navigational skills and Usopps marksmanship shine in other ways than just in the 1-on-1 fights. I like it.

Besides the fact that the two male characters you mentioned constantly have one on one fights despite "avoiding" them, the biggest flaw in this line of thinking is that the lack of real fights extends to every woman character Oda writes that doesn't turn into and/or look like a monster or something that's ok for a male character to hit (Ex: Luffy fighting Boa Hancock's sisters but not Boa Hancock herself, who's stone abilities keep her from having to actually seriously fight anyone). The majority of his females are fan service and/or have abilities that are not useful in a regular Shounen battle. And when they have a remotely interesting ability that doesn't turn them into some sort of wolf monster or a Logia blob, they get taken down in the most unheroic ways (falling in love with their opponents, getting scared into submission, etc...). You'll never see a regular female human character with the combat abilities of Sanji or Zoro in One Piece, or a female character with a fruit that lends to traditional shounen battles like the Rubber Fruit or Mr. 1's ability.

Maybe we'll see Nami in a comedic fight again (although I won't be surprised if that doesn't happen again prior to the battle with Blackbeard, Oda seems fine with having her as fan service and letting Ussop fight the female opponents), but I've given up on Oda ever giving Robin something to do that isn't behind the scenes work for the male characters.

(Ex: Luffy fighting Boa Hancock's sisters but not Boa Hancock herself, who's stone abilities keep her from having to actually seriously fight anyone).

I disagree with this. Hancock has a lot of attacks that work well for battle. In Marineford, she was turning portions of marines' bodies into stone and shattering them just by contact.
Her ability is broken and is extremely versatile.

The majority of his females are fan service and/or have abilities that are not useful in a regular Shounen battle.

Anything that services the fanbase is considered fanservice. Law, Zoro, Sanji, Ace, Sabo, Doflamingo....any time these characters do something cool or badass that can be considered fan service, not just to the fujoshi, but also the fanboys who want to see their favorite character doing cool stuff.
But that's a topic for another day.

Explain how are their powers are not useful in a shonen battle. The usefulness of someone's abilities are bound only by their imagination. It's a common trope that Oda uses where he gives his characters strange abilities then make them useful in a creative way.

And when they have a remotely interesting ability that doesn't turn them into some sort of wolf monster or a Logia blob, they get taken down in the most unheroic ways (falling in love with their opponents, getting scared into submission, etc...). You'll never see a regular female human character with the combat abilities of Sanji or Zoro in One Piece, or a female character with a fruit that lends to traditional shounen battles like the Rubber Fruit or Mr. 1's ability.

Miss Merry Christmas got wasted by a 4-ton bat, Miss Doublefinger was jettisoned through wall, Kalifa was pierced by a bolt of electricity, Baby 5 was electrocuted at Punk Hazard...
I'm confused by what you mean by "losing in unheroic ways". Oda loves to mingle comedy with his fights in same vein as Toriyama. Most of these characters aren't trying to be heroes.
I'm not saying it isn't true that most female characters in One Piece don't get serious one-on-one fights, but there's a lot more to this topic that some fans tend to miss.

Kreed

I disagree with this. Hancock has a lot of attacks that work well for battle. In Marineford, she was turning portions of marines' bodies into stone and shattering them just by contact.
Her ability is broken and is extremely versatile.

If you're disagreeing with me you're not giving good examples. I wasn't talking about taking down fodder enemies. If that was the only requirement to having a serious fight in One Piece then Robin and Nami have had plenty of them.

I'm talking about a one on one Shounen fight with an opponent who is above grunt level/actually matters. Example, like how Zoro is fighting Pika, or Luffy is fighting Doflamingo. Boa is the one Shichibukai who never got that opportunity in the series, in addition to having an ability that conveniently keeps her from having to do so because of how "broken" it is.

Anything that services the fanbase is considered fanservice. Law, Zoro, Sanji, Ace, Sabo, Doflamingo....any time these characters do something cool or badass that can be considered fan service, not just to the fujoshi, but also the fanboys who want to see their favorite character doing cool stuff.
But that's a topic for another day.

I'm not in the mood for a semantics argument either. You know what I meant, let's stay on the subject.

Explain how are their powers are not useful in a shonen battle. The usefulness of someone's abilities are bound only by their imagination. It's a common trope that Oda uses where he gives his characters strange abilities then make them useful in a creative way.

The usefulness is someone's ability is bound by what Oda wants to do with them and how he writes them. And for a large percentage of his female characters, he writes them with abilities that prevents/allows them to avoid a straight one on one battle without turning into something. Example Sugar. Give an ability like that to a male character like Doflamingo and he would have turned all the Straw Hats into toys in an instant. But Sugar? Nope, she has to remain protected the entire time since she's a little girl. Of course that's the only way to keep a "OP" ability from being too dominate, but that's my point to begin with.

Miss Merry Christmas got wasted by a 4-ton bat, Miss Doublefinger was jettisoned through wall, Kalifa was pierced by a bolt of electricity, Baby 5 was electrocuted at Punk Hazard...

You're not reading my posts carefully. Miss Merry Christmas does not "fit" into my complaint because she had a fruit that turned her into a beast that allowed her to get hit. I am excluding characters like Boa's Sisters, Big Mom, etc... because they are so monstrous that they are no longer "female", so it's ok for the protagonists to have a slug fest with them. Oda is perfectly fine with having unattractive/beyond human female characters getting hit by protagonists males and females. But how about Tashigi actually being a threat to Zoro's swordsman abilities and having a one on one sword fight with him? Or any other swordsman that isn't a random grunt pirate and not require her to be saved?

The reason I'm not including opponents Nami battled is because Nami is/was a comedic fighter like Ussop. Her opponents are meant for her to run from and beat in unexpected ways vs anything you're supposed to take seriously as a shounen battle fan. And Baby 5 was defeated by falling in love, despite having a decent shounen battle ability. At least it wasn't as bad as getting beaten off screen like Jewelry Bonney, the one "Super Nova" to get captured.

I'm confused by what you mean by "losing in unheroic ways". Oda loves to mingle comedy with his fights in same vein as Toriyama. Most of these characters aren't trying to be heroes.

I don't mean "literally' being heroes/good guys. I'm talking about a "traditional" one on one One Piece non comedic battle where superior strength/skill is the reason someone loses. Luffy vs Lucci, Zoro vs Mr. 1, Luffy vs Moria etc... The reason Lucci, Moria, and Mr. 1 lost is because the protagonists were stronger/overcame them with physical strength or skills. Imagine if Lucci had fallen in love with Luffy prior to the two of them fighting. Or Moria getting knocked unconscious by a Ussop drawing before Luffy got to throw a punch. Yes both of those examples would be hilarious, but that's what I mean by losing in unheroic ways.

I'm not saying it isn't true that most female characters in One Piece don't get serious one-on-one fights, but there's a lot more to this topic that some fans tend to miss.

One Piece is a great series, and if you ignore imbalance of male vs female character fights, it doesn't have a lot of flaws. But there's no need to try to clean this up any more than "that's how Oda wants to write the series". There isn't some plot reason for this, or some intricate plan only real fans can understand. He just doesn't want to write a female character like that. There are plenty of Shounen and non Shounen series where females get one on one fights that have been running for less than half the time One Piece has been running and have already outdone Oda in this regard.

I think what's exceptionally frustrating (at least for me), regarding this particular instance with Robin, is that it's belittling entire theme of this arc. Doflamingo has been all about whether or not people are greater than than their primal instincts. The entire purpose of the birdcage Doffy's way of trying to prove that given the option of doing what is right (removing him from power) and doing what appears to be a much easier task (capturing all the marked bounties, since it's a game of capturing 12 people vs fighting an entire army), people will naturally go for the easier option, play into their more violent instincts, just for the better chance of saving their own hides. He's going out of his way to prove that everyone is on his level and he's just being honest about it, and the central conflicts found in the major events of this arc have revolved around the struggle to elevate above it (the coliseum's original intent of being a way to allow troubled warriors to relieve their desires to do any real harm being turned into showy bloodsport to satiate the townspeople's bloodlust, King Riku's attempts to reform Kyros from a violent beast into a respectable soldier, and the lengths Cora went to keep Law from turning into Doflamingo 2.0).

The inconsistency with the theme here comes from Kyros's desire for Rebecca to never have to fight again now that he's human. That's fine, based on everything that's happened unto this point, that's a perfectly believable goal for him to have, and I totally buy that the way Rebecca's been written that she shouldn't have to do this. However, Kyros has mentioned a couple times now (mainly when riding up to the garden with Luffy and Cavendish) that he wants nothing more than to kill Diamante. Based on everything that's happened to him, and what Diamante cost him, yeah, as a reader, I totally sympathize with that. However, the only reason Rebecca has to stay while Kyros fights Diamante is because she obviously doesn't want to lose her father after all these years she's lived not knowing who he was. Kyros, playing into his deep-seeded anger and desire to kill Diamante, is only continuing to endanger Rebecca, which increases her risk to fight.

This would be a perfect time to bring this theme back into the forefront by Kyros giving up his anger and running off with Rebecca to protect King Riku (his original desire) while leaving the fate of his wife's killer up to someone else who can more properly handle the situation. And man, this would would be a great time to let Robin shine. We've been told she's one of the stronger members of the crew (only weaker than Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and possibly Franky), but never actually shown this to us as readers. Just some vague references by assorted, tertiary characters about how she's also really strong. Having her fight and beat one of Doffy's top men would be a great way of conveying her strength while also playing perfectly into the themes of this arc.

And yet... because of this weird creed by Oda (or more likely, his Jump editors) to never let a pretty girl get hit more than once or twice before a man comes to save her, we have her pointlessly standing off to the side completely healthy, tending to Rebecca while the one-legged fighter who's already been fighting a great deal already deals with the big bad. I assume she'll at least do one or two important things during this battle, with Kyros getting the major hits in, but man, it's getting really frustrating to constantly see Robin getting the shaft when it would just make way more sense with the way the story has been written for her to just get the fight.

Grexeno

This would be a perfect time to bring this theme back into the forefront by Kyros giving up his anger and running off with Rebecca to protect King Riku (his original desire) while leaving the fate of his wife's killer up to someone else who can more properly handle the situation. And man, this would would be a great time to let Robin shine. We've been told she's one of the stronger members of the crew (only weaker than Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and possibly Franky), but never actually shown this to us as readers. Just some vague references by assorted, tertiary characters about how she's also really strong. Having her fight and beat one of Doffy's top men would be a great way of conveying her strength while also playing perfectly into the themes of this arc.
Dude, there's just no way anyone but Kyros was ever going to fight Diamante.

Dude, there's just no way anyone but Kyros was ever going to fight Diamante.

Right, and that's precisely why I'm saying this is weak writing on Oda's part right now. So much of this arc has been built up around whether or not the citizen's of Dressarosa can reject Doflamingo's craving and desire for destruction and violence, and Kyros's backstory is how we as the readers have come to understand just how truly awful Doffy's actions have been. Obviously, if there's any character during this arc that we can sympathize with the desire for vengeance, it's Kyros. It only makes sense to us as the reader that we finally get to see Kyros finally get his comeuppance.

And yet, Oda has written a situation in which Kyros's desire for revenge is only serving to endanger his much larger goal to never let Rebecca fight again. The longer he stays to fight and finally kill Diamante, the more likely Rebecca is to have to step in to fight. Obviously, before Robin stepped in, this wasn't a writing problem, as there was no other choice but for Kyros to stay and fight to protect Rebecca. But now that Robin is there, if Oda wanted the reader to understand why this craving for vengeance is such a problem, he should have Kyros leave with Rebecca now and leave the fight to her, and leave our desire to see Kyros get his revenge unfulfilled in order to see the greater good.

Honestly, I would have this issue regardless if it was Zoro, Sanji, Brooke, or whoever stepped in to help out. I just can't help but feel that it wouldn't have been written so that Kyros still gets the fight had it been either of them.

Edit-

Look, I don't want to be a backseat author here. Obviously I have no idea what Oda has in store, and honestly, one of his biggest strengths as a writer is to throw curveballs at the reader and still make them more satisfying than what we had hoped. As of right now, however, what's going on with Kyros and Robin is disappointing based on everything he's set up until now.

If you're disagreeing with me you're not giving good examples. I wasn't talking about taking down fodder enemies. If that was the only requirement to having a serious fight in One Piece then Robin and Nami have had plenty of them.
My mistake. I misunderstood what you meant.

I'm talking about a one on one Shounen fight with an opponent who is above grunt level/actually matters. Example, like how Zoro is fighting Pika, or Luffy is fighting Doflamingo. Boa is the one Shichibukai who never got that opportunity in the series, in addition to having an ability that conveniently keeps her from having to do so because of how "broken" it is.

Jimbei and Kuma, to an extent because I don't count his scuffle with Zoro as a one on one fight, haven't had one as well. It's most likely Hancock will have a 1-on-1 bout, but with the growing cast of recurring characters, something's got to give.

The usefulness is someone's ability is bound by what Oda wants to do with them and how he writes them. And for a large percentage of his female characters, he writes them with abilities that prevents/allows them to avoid a straight one on one battle without turning into something.

Your definition of a battle seems to be "close-combat brawling", but a portion of OP fights aren't as simple as that. There are male devil fruit users like Moria, Foxy, and Blueno that have powers that they can use to avoid/quickly end a fight with barely any effort.
Outside of maybe two of them, most of female devil fruit users have abilities that can adapt well to solo battles.

Example Sugar. Give an ability like that to a male character like Doflamingo and he would have turned all the Straw Hats into toys in an instant.
Give that ability to anyone who is not the main villain and they wouldn't be as threatening.

But Sugar? Nope, she has to remain protected the entire time since she's a little girl. Of course that's the only way to keep a "OP" ability from being too dominate, but that's my point to begin with.

Sugar has to be watched because she's the linchpin to Doflamingo's entire scheme of deception and one wrong blow to the head can end up unraveling everything he's worked on for a decade.
Sugar could protect herself just fine (she handled the tontattas like they were nothing), but having Trebol as an extra layer of backup is smart. Better to be safe than sorry.

You're not reading my posts carefully. Miss Merry Christmas does not "fit" into my complaint because she had a fruit that turned her into a beast that allowed her to get hit. I am excluding characters like Boa's Sisters, Big Mom, etc... because they are so monstrous that they are no longer "female", so it's ok for the protagonists to have a slug fest with them.
I chose to disregard that, because the appearance of a character, no matter how non-human and weird, doesn't change whether that individual is male or female. One Piece has so many strange humans, races, creatures that this tidbit seems like cherry-picking to me.

Oda is perfectly fine with having unattractive/beyond human female characters getting hit by protagonists males and females. But how about Tashigi actually being a threat to Zoro's swordsman abilities and having a one on one sword fight with him? Or any other swordsman that isn't a random grunt pirate and not require her to be saved?

True. Oda does frequently put the kid gloves on for attractive women when it involves the good guys. This is something I've noticed that is fairly common in most shonen manga.
Luffy doesn't give a damn though, since he's punched Vivi twice.

Tashigi has been a disappointment and her character hasn't been handled well since Alabasta, which is sad. I don't know if Oda ever planned for her to be a threat to Zoro, but I don't know where he plans to take her character from here on out.

The reason I'm not including opponents Nami battled is because Nami is/was a comedic fighter like Ussop. Her opponents are meant for her to run from and beat in unexpected ways vs anything you're supposed to take seriously as a shounen battle fan.
Her fights with Doublefinger and Kalifa weren't nearly as comedic as Usopp's. Less than 20% comedy, at best.

And Baby 5 was defeated by falling in love, despite having a decent shounen battle ability.
Not like we saw most of that fight. It was disappointing nonetheless.

At least it wasn't as bad as getting beaten off screen like Jewelry Bonney, the one "Super Nova" to get captured.
She went up against Blackbeard. The outcome shouldn't be a surprise.

I don't mean "literally' being heroes/good guys. I'm talking about a "traditional" one on one One Piece non comedic battle where superior strength/skill is the reason someone loses. Luffy vs Lucci, Zoro vs Mr. 1, Luffy vs Moria etc... The reason Lucci, Moria, and Mr. 1 lost is because the protagonists were stronger/overcame them with physical strength or skills. Imagine if Lucci had fallen in love with Luffy prior to the two of them fighting. Or Moria getting knocked unconscious by a Ussop drawing before Luffy got to throw a punch. Yes both of those examples would be hilarious, but that's what I mean by losing in unheroic ways.

I hate to break it to you, but those types of fights you're looking for are reserved for the Monster Trio. Mostly Luffy and Zoro then Sanji.
Even then, you're still likely to see a bit of comic relief in Luffy or Zoro fights. (Chibi Luffy, Water Luffy, Zoro vs Hatchan, Zoro vs Kaku)

In my opinion, One Piece would be slightly more dull and boring if we had more traditional, 100% serious fights.

One Piece is a great series, and if you ignore imbalance of male vs female character fights, it doesn't have a lot of flaws. But there's no need to try to clean this up any more than "that's how Oda wants to write the series". There isn't some plot reason for this, or some intricate plan only real fans can understand. He just doesn't want to write a female character like that. There are plenty of Shounen and non Shounen series where females get one on one fights that have been running for less than half the time One Piece has been running and have already outdone Oda in this regard.

Like I briefly mentioned in my other post, there's more to this than just Oda and One Piece. In Shonen manga, where the main target demographic is pre-teen to teenage boys, it's less likely for female characters to have a pre-dominant or even semi-dominant combat role or focused 1v1 battles.
In the shonen I've read (Naruto, Dragon Ball, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter) mostly Jump manga, female characters very rarely have a large role and very rarely are they put on the same level as the main male protagonists.
I'm not sure if it's part of the culture or an issue among battle shonen, but that's the situation from what I've seen. I have no doubt that there are shonen manga that give their female cast as much fighting screen time as the men, but the most popular ones seem to be in this rut.

Zeppu

Besides the fact that the two male characters you mentioned constantly have one on one fights despite "avoiding" them

Let's list them then.
Usopp:
Syrup village: Support role; Usopp + Zoro vs Jango
Baratie: Basically nothing
Arlong Park: Usopp vs Chuu - 1
Logue town: Nothing
Whiskey Peak: Nothing
Little garden: Gets his ass handed to him by Mr.5; Provides support role against Mr 3.
Drum Island: Nothing
Arabasta: Usopp + Chopper vs Mr 4 + Miss Merry Christmas; Mostly being a damage sponge.
Skypeia: Luffy + Sanji + Usopp vs Satori; Mostly support.
Davy Back Fight: A race.
Water 7: Usopp vs Franky family; ass kicked. Usopp vs Luffy - 2
Enies Lobby: Constant and awesome support; The only free straw hat to not have a 1-on-1 fight.
Thriller Bark: Usopp vs Perona - 3
Sabaody: Nothing
Return to Sabaody: No one really has any decent fights here.
Fishman Island: Usopp + Chopper vs Daruma
Punk Hazard: Nothing
Dressrosa: Usopp vs Sugar? You can count it if you like.

Chopper:
Drum Island: Chopper vs Chessmarimo - 1
Arabasta: Usopp + Chopper vs Mr 4 + Miss Merry Christmas
Skypeia: Chopper vs Gedatsu - 2
Davy Back Fight: Nothing
Water 7: Nothing
Enies Lobby: Chopper vs Kumadori; As I said before, feeling overwhelmed and ended up in Monster Point but anyway - 3
Thriller Bark: Chopper + Robin vs Hogback (who was never really a fighter).
Sabaody: Nothing
Return to Sabaody: No one really has any decent fights here.
Fishman Island: Usopp + Chopper vs Daruma
Punk Hazard: Nothing
Dressrosa: MIA

That's 3 fights each. Not really constantly having one on one fights. The point remains that these characters are still super important to the story, and their support is more important than having one on one fights. Without Usopp, Robin would've been taken through the Gates of Justice. Without Nami, they would've never been able to escape the Buster Call. Without Chopper they would've had a harder time defeating Oz. Without Robin we wouldn't have any context as to the complexity of the world's current affair and history. Does that make the characters any less awesome? Of course not. Usopp is amazing despite really having only one real fight (against Luffy) because of everything else he does.

Expecting everyone to be a fighter would make One Piece much like any other Shounen manga out there, with everyone bouncing from one fight to the next, where every single character's only motivation is fighting and defeating ever stronger enemies. I enjoy having each character bringing something to the table, and everyone excelling at what they do best.

Couple of points.

Boa Hancock was shown has being incredibly effective in hand to hand combat. Probably her strongest attack is perfume femur where she turns something to stone and breaks it with a kick at the same time. At the war of the best she was demolishing opponents like pacifistas and smoker with ease. So it's not like attractive female characters are not given powerful brawling abilities.

For Kyros and his motivations in this arc it is not really just revenge against Diamante. When he changed back his first words was that he was there to bring back the real Dressrosa. Someone who was motivated by revenge would become a dark character who abandons his other morals in exchange for power and the ability to hurt his targets. Kyros is more like a guardian who wants to protect people and restore justice and he sees Diamante as his personal responsibility. If he fails to deal with him it would be much more personally humiliating for him than if Robin failed to deal with him.

Kreed

Your definition of a battle seems to be "close-combat brawling", but a portion of OP fights aren't as simple as that. There are male devil fruit users like Moria, Foxy, and Blueno that have powers that they can use to avoid/quickly end a fight with barely any effort.
Outside of maybe two of them, most of female devil fruit users have abilities that can adapt well to solo battles.

I still count these as the types of fights I'd like to see Robin/Nami/more One Piece women participate in. Even if they are avoiding getting hit/touched, at least they are doing more than support and their fights are being treated like they are important to arcs.

Sugar has to be watched because she's the linchpin to Doflamingo's entire scheme of deception and one wrong blow to the head can end up unraveling everything he's worked on for a decade.
Sugar could protect herself just fine (she handled the tontattas like they were nothing), but having Trebol as an extra layer of backup is smart. Better to be safe than sorry.

Try to ignore the story that Oda has created and the confines of that story when we're discussing this, because I'm criticizing Oda writing the story this way. Oda can write these characters however he wants to and that goes to how he's writing these women characters. Giving me story reasons as to why Robin had to do this, or Sugar had to do that, isn't the issue because "yes", Oda has given very good reasons why these characters are stuck in the roles they are in. Nami isn't a good fighter. Robin is a smart person/has an explorer personality, Sugar needs to be protected, etc... But what if Oda gave Nami a Luffy personality? Or Robin a Sanji protective personality?

I chose to disregard that, because the appearance of a character, no matter how non-human and weird, doesn't change whether that individual is male or female. One Piece has so many strange humans, races, creatures that this tidbit seems like cherry-picking to me.

The reason I am making the distinction is because it is common in a lot of series (particuarly targetting young males), whether in Japan, US, etc... where male characters and female characters do not fight, particularly if the male is a hero/good guy. Even if it's a fair one on one fight, you'll often have good male characters in older series go "I will never hit a woman". The exception being if the female doesn't "look" like a human female, then it's ok for the "good guy" to hit her since she's a "monster". These days a lot of series are trying to break this mold and push forward, but Oda is still stuck in this old mindset.

She went up against Blackbeard. The outcome shouldn't be a surprise.

Again story reasons. This happened to Ace as well so I know Blackbeard could have done this to any one of the Super Novas within the confines of the story. But step back and think about this being the one female Super Nova. Who didn't get to do anything Super Nova worthy in regards to showing off her abilities anyway. And then Oda has her get captured and helpless on top of it.

I hate to break it to you, but those types of fights you're looking for are reserved for the Monster Trio. Mostly Luffy and Zoro then Sanji.
Even then, you're still likely to see a bit of comic relief in Luffy or Zoro fights. (Chibi Luffy, Water Luffy, Zoro vs Hatchan, Zoro vs Kaku)

Again story vs Oda's writing. What if Sanji was the person with the book knowledge and Robin was the cook with monster kicks?

Like I briefly mentioned in my other post, there's more to this than just Oda and One Piece. In Shonen manga, where the main target demographic is pre-teen to teenage boys, it's less likely for female characters to have a pre-dominant or even semi-dominant combat role or focused 1v1 battles.
In the shonen I've read (Naruto, Dragon Ball, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter) mostly Jump manga, female characters very rarely have a large role and very rarely are they put on the same level as the main male protagonists.
I'm not sure if it's part of the culture or an issue among battle shonen, but that's the situation from what I've seen. I have no doubt that there are shonen manga that give their female cast as much fighting screen time as the men, but the most popular ones seem to be in this rut.

You're right that a lot of Shounen manga are like this, but it is getting better with series like Full Metal Alchemist, and even weaker series like Fairy Tail. Hell, even Bleach and Naruto have surpassed Oda in this regard despite both series not being great in their handling of women either. The reason I criticize Oda more than these series though is because Oda is a capable writer and he is capable of writing his female characters better. And I've just come to the conclusion that he doesn't want to. And that's fine, but saying things like "Robin is too difficult to write for" is silly.

I still count these as the types of fights I'd like to see Robin/Nami/more One Piece women participate in. Even if they are avoiding getting hit/touched, at least they are doing more than support and their fights are being treated like they are important to arcs.
It's likely that it's going to happen. Nami and Robin are guaranteed to have tough fights with the Blackbeard pirates.
There's always a possibility that those types of fights could happen for them prior to that encounter.

Try to ignore the story that Oda has created and the confines of that story when we're discussing this, because I'm criticizing Oda writing the story this way. Oda can write these characters however he wants to and that goes to how he's writing these women characters. Giving me story reasons as to why Robin had to do this, or Sugar had to do that, isn't the issue because "yes", Oda has given very good reasons why these characters are stuck in the roles they are in. Nami isn't a good fighter. Robin is a smart person/has an explorer personality, Sugar needs to be protected, etc... But what if Oda gave Nami a Luffy personality? Or Robin a Sanji protective personality?
Nami with a personality similar to Luffy would a mix of Chimney, Keimi, and Bonney.
Robin with a personality similar to Sanji would be....ummm, I guess what sees doing with Rebecca could be similar, but that's an odd placement.
I can understand where you're coming from. It would have been interesting if Sugar was a powerhouse brawler on top of having a broken ability.

The reason I am making the distinction is because it is common in a lot of series (particuarly targetting young males), whether in Japan, US, etc... where male characters and female characters do not fight, particularly if the male is a hero/good guy. Even if it's a fair one on one fight, you'll often have good male characters in older series go "I will never hit a woman". The exception being if the female doesn't "look" like a human female, then it's ok for the "good guy" to hit her since she's a "monster". These days a lot of series are trying to break this mold and push forward, but Oda is still stuck in this old mindset.
As I mentioned before, Luffy has hit both attractive and non-attractive women. Franky didn't have a problem attacking Baby 5 at Punk Hazard.
I don't think Oda is stuck in that mindset, however it's just not a common occurrence in One Piece.
Can you name some of these battle shonen series that trying to break the mold?
Japan isn't a very progressive country when it comes to gender equality, especially in the manga and anime communities. I like to assume it's getting better, but one can never be too sure.

Again story reasons. This happened to Ace as well so I know Blackbeard could have done this to any one of the Super Novas within the confines of the story. But step back and think about this being the one female Super Nova. Who didn't get to do anything Super Nova worthy in regards to showing off her abilities anyway. And then Oda has her get captured and helpless on top of it.
It's a more complex situation than her just being the only female Supernova at the time.
There's obviously some history between Bonney and the World Government/Marines, plus a grudge with Blackbeard.

Again story vs Oda's writing. What if Sanji was the person with the book knowledge and Robin was the cook with monster kicks?
Even if the roles switched, the outcome would probably still be the same.
Sanji is more popular than Robin in Japan. Oda writes One Piece for 15 year old boys.
It doesn't mean Oda would let a character's popularity affect his writing, but that's how it is, unfortunately.

You're right that a lot of Shounen manga are like this, but it is getting better with series like Full Metal Alchemist, and even weaker series like Fairy Tail.
- FMA had great female characters. Barely any sexualization, competent and independent. Except there weren't that many that stood out when it came to the action moments.
You had Mei, Riza, Olivier and...that's it. Winry was kinda just there. Lust..LOL.
Despite the author being a woman, the target demographic was still teenage boys.

- I've barely read Fairy Tail, so I can't give much to comment on. But from what I've seen, it seems to treat its female cast similar to shows like Ikki Tousen, where the fighting females are constantly sexualized.

Hell, even Bleach and Naruto have surpassed Oda in this regard despite both series not being great in their handling of women either.
I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this. I haven't read Bleach in years, so I hardly know what's going on there.
Naruto has some of the worst female characters I've seen in a long time. It's a known fact that Kishimoto has trouble with characters of the opposite sex, since he's mentioned it before.

The reason I criticize Oda more than these series though is because Oda is a capable writer and he is capable of writing his female characters better. And I've just come to the conclusion that he doesn't want to. And that's fine, but saying things like "Robin is too difficult to write for" is silly.
Instead of looking solely at the fighting spectrum, look at female characters who are independent in their own.
Bellemere, Kureha, Vivi (yes, Vivi), Kokoro, Otohime, Olvia, Nojiko, Dadan, Kuina....
Each of these characters have shown strong resolve and determination when faced with tough circumstances on an emotional and mental level. In a shonen manga, to have that many female characters play a role, in life and in death, is a testament to Oda's writing. There's not a lot, but he makes them leave an impression on the reader and the main crew when their story is told.
I do feel like there haven't been any One Piece women who have left that kind of impression in a while, but it's going to happen sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom