• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

Strange how so many of the side characters in this arc have been developed so much even when they have very little relevance to the main plot at hand.

I really like it though.

Chariot

So between Mansherry and Law's powers was Doffy collecting powers that could do extensive healing for a reason?
Maybe you're onto something. Wouldn't be too surprised that he is planning to help somebody. It was already established, that he genuinely cares for his subordinates and friends.

Kreed

One Piece 775:

The back story for Señor Pink's attire was a nice touch and definitely gave him much more depth than the rest of Doflamingo's minons. That being said, it makes me question why someone like Pink would follow Doflamingo in the first place. Considering all the horrible things Doflamingo has done to Dressrosa alone, it's hard to imagine Pink not questioning some of his and Doflamingo's actions. Knowing Oda, we'll probably get a flashback with some hits of this later on.

Chariot

One Piece 775:

The back story for Señor Pink's attire was a nice touch and definitely gave him much more depth than the rest of Doflamingo's minons. That being said, it makes me question why someone like Pink would follow Doflamingo in the first place. Considering all the horrible things Doflamingo has done to Dressrosa alone, it's hard to imagine Pink not questioning some of his and Doflamingo's actions. Knowing Oda, we'll probably get a flashback with some hits of this later on.
Pink isn't necessary a morally good guy. He genuinely loved his wife, but we saw that he still was a pirate. Even if he values his loved ones, he doesn't have to value other humans. He probably went on raids and other criminal activity. Don Flamingo, while being a giant dick to most people, is shown to care for his comrades.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wow. I can't believe Señor Pink's backstory. That was surprising.

Is Mansherry the actual translation? I've seen a couple of versions, and it looks a bit awkward.

It sounds like it should be "Mon Chérie", which is a French term of endearment.
You're right but Mansherry was the official romanization written in the background a few chapters back. Hence why everyone is going with it, even Viz. It's probably only supposed to sound like Mon Cherie rather than be written like it too.

jstripes

Banned
You're right but Mansherry was the official romanization written in the background a few chapters back. Hence why everyone is going with it, even Viz. It's probably only supposed to sound like Mon Cherie rather than be written like it too.

Ah, k. If it's official, it's official.

Romanizations can get hairy sometimes.

dan2026

One Piece truly is a strange beast.

That it can give such a serious heartfelt story while at the same time a cyborg fights a man dressed like a baby with an audience of dwarves. And that it all makes sense somehow, is quite something.

One Piece truly is a strange beast.

That it can give such a serious heartfelt story while at the same time a cyborg fights a man dressed like a baby with an audience of dwarves. And that it all makes sense somehow, is quite something.

it just goes to show how important world building is

it connects all the weird things into its world's setting

Some series lack good world building which eventually suffers not only their plot but their ending too

Kreed

Pink isn't necessary a morally good guy. He genuinely loved his wife, but we saw that he still was a pirate. Even if he values his loved ones, he doesn't have to value other humans. He probably went on raids and other criminal activity. Don Flamingo, while being a giant dick to most people, is shown to care for his comrades.

I wasn't saying Pink was morally good, just that he is too morally good for Doflamingo, easily the most evil character's we've seen in One Piece. A regular pirates criminal activities are stealing and running from the Marines. Doflamingo's regular pirate activities are running slave auctions and creating artificial weapons.

For example, I really doubt Doflamingo would have been happy seeing Pink purposely lose to Franky to honor a deal. In fact, I could see Doflamingo punishing Pink if he had seen that in action in person. I can't see someone with a backstory like that and someone who cares about honor not at least flinching at some of Doflamingo's actions over the years. But again, I'm sure Oda will show this somewhere down the line if Franky and Pink are going to end up having drinks together.

Dugna

So as Dressrosa gets closer and closer to finishing, do you all think the crew will get any new members? I can't even think of a position the crew even needs now, they already have the essentials (Captain, Navigator, Cook, Doctor, Shipwright) and most of the people who're becoming friends with the crew seem to be too attached to the area.

Grexeno

So as Dressrosa gets closer and closer to finishing, do you all think the crew will get any new members? I can't even think of a position the crew even needs now, they already have the essentials (Captain, Navigator, Cook, Doctor, Shipwright) and most of the people who're becoming friends with the crew seem to be too attached to the area.
It's certainly odd, but I think that we will come out of this arc without any new crewmembers, even though there are sooooo many characters introduced that would fit in if just one thing was different.

Dugna

It's certainly odd, but I think that we will come out of this arc without any new crewmembers, even though there are sooooo many characters introduced that would fit in if just one thing was different.

Was about to say they should get a martial artist for their next crewmember, but then I remembered Jinbe. It's hard to think of what the last crewmember will be.

I liked the backstory, though fleshing out Señor Pink doesn't add anything to the story.

The fight was awful, however. One Punch Man might as well have come and ended it.

Chariot

I wasn't saying Pink was morally good, just that he is too morally good for Doflamingo, easily the most evil character's we've seen in One Piece. A regular pirates criminal activities are stealing and running from the Marines. Doflamingo's regular pirate activities are running slave auctions and creating artificial weapons.

For example, I really doubt Doflamingo would have been happy seeing Pink purposely lose to Franky to honor a deal. In fact, I could see Doflamingo punishing Pink if he had seen that in action in person. I can't see someone with a backstory like that and someone who cares about honor not at least flinching at some of Doflamingo's actions over the years. But again, I'm sure Oda will show this somewhere down the line if Franky and Pink are going to end up having drinks together.
Eh, a man can a have a strong sense for honor and steal support slavery. Morals aren't universal. People aren't all positive traits or all negative.

And I don't think Doflamingo would really punish him, he would be like "eh, that's what he is". I really think he genuinely loves his subordinates.
The world of One Piece is pretty messed up.
Just imagine Kubo would do that for every character he farts out.

Zeppu

I deem (and have been of this opinion ever since the start of the Franky vs Pink fight) Senor Pink as a Mr. 2 type character, and frankly, even though he didn't know who Mr. 0 was and the extent of his plans and purpose for Baroque Works, he surely had a grasp of what's going since he already had the memory for King Cobra.

Yet we know what an honourable man he is and how much he values friendship and has been able to redeem himself many, many times over. It's hard to simply label people as good or bad in a manga where the protagonists are 'good' pirates and the Marines and World government are overall the 'bad guys'.

Nightbird

I just read the Chapter again and two things i noticed:

1.: I think Franky lost an Eye in that Battle. I don't think its anything new to you, but it seems like his left Eye (from his point of View) is gone.

2.: The hiatus could be longer than a Week. In the Mangatsream-Translation the Text said that they expect to continue in Issue 12. Did something happen to Oda again? I'm worried Guys.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The latest issue was 10
"To be continued in Issue 12" means that One Piece won't be in Issue 11.
It's one week, no worries.

Anth0ny

Holy shit that back story.

Also, Oda has definitely been watching some New Japan Pro Wrestling:

08231949_52173e4754aevue34.jpg

UnkemptRegularClingfish.gif

smurfx

get some go again
Well, rather than simply restore tissue or the like I think it could imply that it could restore and destroyed or disturbed object back to its original state.

For example, the Ark from Fishman Island could have all its damage removed.
i said it somewhere else but i see her restoring an ancient weapon in the future. she will probably be forced to by the world government. it was said that dolflamingo knows something about the celestials and maybe that is an ancient weapon they have stored in mariejoa. could be that it does not work and doflamingo was planning on restoring it one day when he invaded mariejoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom