• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

As I mentioned before, Luffy has hit both attractive and non-attractive women. Franky didn't have a problem attacking Baby 5 at Punk Hazard.
I don't think Oda is stuck in that mindset, however it's just not a common occurrence in One Piece.
Can you name some of these battle shonen series that trying to break the mold?
Japan isn't a very progressive country when it comes to gender equality, especially in the manga and anime communities. I like to assume it's getting better, but one can never be too sure.

It's harder to find in Battle Shounen but there are a couple of "good" examples currently running. World Trigger is a good one that's currently running in Jump. One Punch Man has had a couple of female antagonist, including in the current chapter. Assassination Classroom is a mixed bag with some useful female characters and some that are complete stereotypes. Hero Academy is still new but it's doing pretty well with female protagonists. Outside of Jump there's Magi and UQ Holder off the top of my head. Although these series ended, Medaka Box, Psyren, Beelzebub (original series), Soul Eater, and Kekkaishi had strong female protagonists too (Medaka Box's main character being female).

- I've barely read Fairy Tail, so I can't give much to comment on. But from what I've seen, it seems to treat its female cast similar to shows like Ikki Tousen, where the fighting females are constantly sexualized.

This is one among many of Fairy Tail's problems. Unfortunately it's not something exclusive to Fairy Tail (Bleach and Naruto do/did this a lot too), and these days in One Piece characters like Nami are getting more and more sexualized as time passes. But as you said, these series are written for boys as the main demographic.

I'm gonna have to call bullshit on this. I haven't read Bleach in years, so I hardly know what's going on there.
Naruto has some of the worst female characters I've seen in a long time. It's a known fact that Kishimoto has trouble with characters of the opposite sex, since he's mentioned it before.

There's not much to argue with Bleach. It's actually one of the few areas the series does a better job than One Piece in, although there have been a lot more female antagonists fights than protagonists (Rukia being the most recent months ago, vs the current arc with a handful of female antagonists). Of course one of Bleach's problems is throwing way too many characters at readers and expecting us to care about them.

I actually quit reading Naruto for a couple of years after the Pain saga and just caught up after the series ended (I don't regret my decision either). But I agree that Naruto didn't do a good job with most of it's female characters in terms of characterization, personality, and depth (Sakura has to rank pretty highly on the worst Shounen female protagonists list). But strictly looking at female Shounen fights, Naruto has had more of them (one of my favorites being Konan vs Tobi). Even the final fight prior to Naruto and Sasuke involved the Rabbit Goddess vs Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi and Sakura (yes she was horrible here too, just noting it).

Instead of looking solely at the fighting spectrum, look at female characters who are independent in their own.
Bellemere, Kureha, Vivi (yes, Vivi), Kokoro, Otohime, Olvia, Nojiko, Dadan, Kuina....
Each of these characters have shown strong resolve and determination when faced with tough circumstances on an emotional and mental level. In a shonen manga, to have that many female characters play a role, in life and in death, is a testament to Oda's writing. There's not a lot, but he makes them leave an impression on the reader and the main crew when their story is told.
I do feel like there haven't been any One Piece women who have left that kind of impression in a while, but it's going to happen sooner or later.

I hope Oda does prove me wrong eventually. When I was a regular in the big manga thread I spent a lot of time complaining about Robin and other female characters not getting fights before just coming to terms with a lot of what you're saying (Japan's culture, Shounen series in general, etc...). I still would love to see Oda give her and other female characters more chances to shine in fights, but complaining about it week after week wasn't productive, so I decided to move on and focus on the other more positive aspects of the series. Even if it doesn't happen, One Piece is still easily one of my favorite Shounen series not including Full Metal Alchemist and Hunter x Hunter, and Robin is still a great character.

I want to see more of kyros and maybe some of fujitora.

Fujitora is useless. Like really, the dude decided to sit down and wait for this "pirates" to finish the job. At least Aokiji cared.

I'd personally love a Chapter (or half a chapter) that teases us with what happened with the Sunny and the big mom affair. Maybe finishing with a panel featuring Sanji's ass kicked.
(And then we don't hear from them for another 1 year)

Fujitora is useless. Like really, the dude decided to sit down and wait for this "pirates" to finish the job. At least Aokiji cared.

I'd personally love a Chapter (or half a chapter) that teases us with what happened with the Sunny and the big mom affair. Maybe finishing with a panel featuring Sanji's ass kicked.
(And then we don't hear from them for another 1 year)

Sanji chapter would really be coming from nowhere.

But we haven't really seen what Fujitora is prepared to do yet.

IHaveIce

Banned
Damn amazing flashback for such a sidecharacter.

Franky beat him. Now blow the factory up, but I didn't understand the start, why should the Princess also be able to "heal" the factory?

demidar

That Flashback. ODAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Damn amazing flashback for such a sidecharacter.

Franky beat him. Now blow the factory up, but I didn't understand the start, why should the Princess also be able to "heal" the factory?

Maybe SMILE is produced by something living.

Raxus

One Piece 775

...so hard boiled!

Senior Pink and Baby 5 deserve their own separate side stories.

Can't wait for next week!

...Aw, Jammit

Chariot

Goddammit, Oda!
You put a guy in a baby outfit, completely justify it and even make him look awesome in the end!
Yes, Oda is so amazing. When most people can't even handle regular humans, he can design the most ridiculous characters and can put them into serious drama.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oda you magnificent bastard.
Senor Pink, you're so damn awesome now.

Aw man, a break next week. Worst possible time too, I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed next week and I hoped this would help the recovery. Oh well...

Dammit I almost cried manly tears.

Another great chapter and it completely made me love Senor Pink and Franky again. I'm really liking Oda give backstories for these characters, it makes them much more human and better to understand. Also with this fight done, all that's left are the three top executives and the Doflamingo fight.

Btw I'm guessing the Tontatta princess' ability restores things to their original state rather than just heals them.

daveo42

Banned
Damn...Oda pulling out some fantastic backstories for a lot of these characters this arc. Senor Pink, you ended up on the wrong side, but you're still a solid guy in my book.

No new chapter next week sucks, but after that we should be ramping up with the last three major fights. Assuming Diamante next week, followed by Pika, and finishing up with DF to finish off their crew. It's been a long time coming, but it'll be nice to see Doffy get what he deserves.

Well, rather than simply restore tissue or the like I think it could imply that it could restore and destroyed or disturbed object back to its original state.

For example, the Ark from Fishman Island could have all its damage removed.

I'm guessing it's close to Orihime's OP ability from Bleach, except it covers inanimate objects and it actually eats away at the user's life. It may be that there is a threshold of healing that can be done without it having adverse affects, but large-scale restoration appears to put a heavy strain on the user.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Back in Chapter 717 is when Mansherry was first mentioned, Leo called her spoiled and selfish.
Here we see that only Leo thinks that because like a lot of Shonen protagonists, he's oblivious to love. Only he's not a protagonist.
Heh...

Senor Pink...
you-the-real-mvp-o.gif

Kain

So I'm guessing everyone knows Pink's story and that's why all the girls swoon over him all the time.

Cool guy, it would be great if him and Franky went together on some adventures.

Lunar15

Well, rather than simply restore tissue or the like I think it could imply that it could restore and destroyed or disturbed object back to its original state.

For example, the Ark from Fishman Island could have all its damage removed.

The Sea Kings did mention they'd need "That Family's Power" to restore the Ark. Could have been a weird translation, though.

Every time I ask Oda, 'seriously, why the hell did that happen' I get a great answer. Such an amazing reason for him to be wearing that stupid outfit.

WE need a future covershot of a chapter with Frankie and Pink having that drink.

jstripes

Banned
Wow. I can't believe Señor Pink's backstory. That was surprising.

Back in Chapter 717 is when Mansherry was first mentioned, Leo called her spoiled and selfish.
Here we see that only Leo thinks that because like a lot of Shonen protagonists, he's oblivious to love. Only he's not a protagonist.
Heh...

Is Mansherry the actual translation? I've seen a couple of versions, and it looks a bit awkward.

It sounds like it should be "Mon Chérie", which is a French term of endearment.

So do you think Oda will give Trebol a tragic backstory or is he going full cunt with him? Up to now we have only one real bad guy for the sake of being a bad guy, Diamante.

Grexeno

So do you think Oda will give Trebol a tragic backstory or is he going full cunt with him? Up to now we have only one real bad guy for the sake of being a bad guy, Diamante.
I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think that all 3 of the top executives are truly evil.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think that all 3 of the top executives are truly evil.
I don't see Pica as the truly evil character, actually I'm expecting a flashback of him being bullied as a kid or something like that. I don't expect any redemption for Diamante or Trebol, but Oda is completely unpredictable so...

Grexeno

I don't see Pica as the truly evil character, actually I'm expecting a flashback of him being bullied as a kid or something like that. I don't expect any redemption for Diamante or Trebol, but Oda is completely unpredictable so...
Corazon basically said that Diamante, Trebol, Pica and Vergo all know just how evil Doflamingo is, though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So, Senor Pink. Mr. Pink. Clearly a reference to Steve Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs, particularly with his gangster history. I almost feel like he shoulda been fighting Sanji instead, since Oda said Sanji was actually designed after Buscemi in that very flick.

First, Law's flashback, now, Pink's flashback.....Oda's been on a kid-killing spree.
Senior Pink has been one of my favorite Donquixote officers and getting a peek into his past and what caused him to transition from a suit and tie to a bib and pacifier was tragic.

Franky brought back that old school Franky Boxing. Love that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom