• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dugna

I can see this happening; then again, I've been wanting to see more scenes/context from the two-year period for a while.

Will Zoro having his left eye gone ever be explained, is what I want to know....I really really really hope that it isn't some "eye power".

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Will Zoro having his left eye gone ever be explained, is what I want to know....I really really really hope that it isn't some "eye power".

Oda going to go Bleach with Zoro's eye? Nothing wrong with it he just chooses to handicap himself lol.

Or he has Mihawks left eye! Sharingan!

:/

This Pica fight is already better than that shitty Diamente fight. Now for Zoro to use the King's punch to propel him to Pica.

Why? Diamante actually used his devil fruit in really interesting ways in that fight. Here? Pica blends with the castle/buildings and tries to stomp/wreck people. And we've been seeing this boring fight since like 20+ chapters and it's finally ending soon.

Dugna

Pros:
Pica didn't get defeated in a chapter. Zoro's going to do something nuts.

Cons:
It looks like Robin vs Trebol isn't happening. :( Dammit Oda

Who is going to fight trebol then? We don't have the other half of the straw hat crew to do their usual roles, so Sanji fight this arc.

Why? Diamante actually used his devil fruit in really interesting ways in that fight. Here? Pica blends with the castle/buildings and tries to stomp/wreck people. And we've been seeing this boring fight since like 20+ chapters and it's finally ending soon.

Maybe they think big giant battles are more interesting.

Laz-E-Boy

It's kinda nice to see Zoro take care of a main arc villains strongest subordinate/2nd strongest person in the arc who isn't a sword user.

Glad Oda is finishing these fights. Looking forward to Luffy/Doflamingo.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If Zoro was gonna open his other eye, he would've done it at the end of this chapter. There was a dedicated eye-opening SNAP panel, and it was just him opening his normal eye. I had to do a double-take. Woulda been the place to do it right there.

I kind of hope Zoro's eye is gone. A hidden eye powerup is as cliche as it can get.

Who is going to fight trebol then? We don't have the other half of the straw hat crew to do their usual roles, so Sanji fight this arc.

It might be Law if he isn't currently incapacitated.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I honestly think Luffy will fight Trebol instead of Doflamingo.

No one's left to fight Donfla is Luffy doesn't, Law got curbstomped in the worst way. Besides, the last few chapters featuring Luffy seemed to be setting him up for a fight with Donfla.

Welfare

No one's left to fight Donfla is Luffy doesn't, Law got curbstomped in the worst way. Besides, the last few chapters featuring Luffy seemed to be setting him up for a fight with Donfla.

What if he fights both? Would really show how much he's progressed in two years.

jercruz

Looks like Pica drove himself into a corner by becoming a giant walking Pica. Now zoro will just cut the legs, and while pica is falling he will be limited to moving only in the falling body. Then zoro will slice and dice falling giant pica.

I always thought that Zoro can still see out of his other eye, just that it was injured and it pains him greatly to see out of it. So he will only open it in life/death situations.

Cliche or not, I think it would be pretty cool for his eye to be something more than just "dead". That's pretty boring IMO, unless the backstory to why he lost his eye is somehow related to Luffy or the team in some way.

Dugna

I always thought that Zoro can still see out of his other eye, just that it was injured and it pains him greatly to see out of it. So he will only open it in life/death situations.

Cliche or not, I think it would be pretty cool for his eye to be something more than just "dead". That's pretty boring IMO, unless the backstory to why he lost his eye is somehow related to Luffy or the team in some way.

Would be kinda impossible for his eye to be lost in anything involving the rest of the crew, during the 2 year skip the crew never met each other ever. Zoro's eye was already damaged when they got back to Sabaody, so it has to be something involving Mihawk.

Wouldnt surprise me if he is fine under it, but uses it to make himself "better" like goku and his weighted training gear. I mean he uses 3 swords "because" rather than one/two

Dugna

WPLQ0dK.jpg

Just noticed this after rewatching the anime, his jacket already had the name of Corazon. Law is almost quite litterally a walking symbol of Corazon's legacy basically lol.

Bandini

Come on dudes. Zoro has a scar running over the eye that no longer opens, after intense training with the greatest swordsman in the world. This injury is exactly as it appears.

Lunar15

Eye is most likely a straightforward injury. At most, I could see Oda pulling a gag where he just randomly opens his eye during one fight and says something like "Eh, wasn't really injured, I'm just training my depth perception!" or something ridiculous and nonsensical like that.

99.9% sure it's just an eye injury though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The thing about that eye is that losing depth perception and awareness of a full half of what's in front of you is no fucking joke. That's an ENORMOUS handicap. The fact that he can function perfectly fine with it shut means either A) it's just a comic and Oda isn't thinking about it that hard, or B) he's using observation haki to compensate pretty much 24/7, ala Daredevil. Kinda halfway to Issho, in fact.

And now that I say that, I wonder if Mihawk purposely ruined his eye to force him to learn haki better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eye is most likely a straightforward injury. At most, I could see Oda pulling a gag where he just randomly opens his eye during one fight and says something like "Eh, wasn't really injured, I'm just training my depth perception!" or something ridiculous and nonsensical like that.

99.9% sure it's just an eye injury though.

I can imagine this happening when Zorro finally fights Mihawk. Dude will be all "The guy who wounded you must be very powerful, tell me his name," and Zorro will say "Nah, I was just giving myself a handicap to keep it interesting," or he won't have realized his eye was close the whole time.

I just hope that after this arc is over we could see some new things (like landscaped, weather, animals) from the new world that separates it from the other oceans

since..... like I stated in the Bleach thread.... other then character/organizations interacting Oda has dumbed down on the geographical world building

Lunar15

I just hope that after this arc is over we could see some new things (like landscaped, weather, animals) from the new world that separates it from the other oceans

since..... like I stated in the Bleach thread.... other then character/organizations interacting Oda has dumbed down on the geographical world building

Has he though? Fishman Island was a giant underwater city made out of coral inside of a giant bubble next to a giant ship with chains made for sea kings. Then they learn that the New World requires a new log pose with all sorts of crazy new rules. After shooting through an underwater tornado they find a school of giant whales and enter into the new world to find an ocean of fire and lightning. The first island they see, Punk Hazard, is an island half on fire and half frozen in ice with dragons and human/animal hybrids. After leaving Punk Hazard, they travel through a forest on the sea and on a sideways wave. When they reach Dressrosa, they find that it's surrounded by giant rocky cliffs, full of Gaudi inspired architecture, and has a giant, iconic castle along with a gigantic Colosseum.

Aside from all that, we've also seen glimpses of an island made out of candy, an island constantly being struck by lightning, and an island with invisible land.

Oda has definitely dumbed down some things lately, but I'd say geographical world building is the last thing I'd call out.

Has he though? Fishman Island was a giant underwater city made out of coral inside of a giant bubble next to a giant ship with chains made for sea kings. Then they learn that the New World requires a new log pose with all sorts of crazy new rules. After shooting through an underwater tornado they find a school of giant whales and enter into the new world to find an ocean of fire and lightning. The first island they see, Punk Hazard, is an island half on fire and half frozen in ice with dragons and human/animal hybrids. After leaving Punk Hazard, they travel through a forest on the sea and on a sideways wave. When they reach Dressrosa, they find that it's surrounded by giant rocky cliffs, full of Gaudi inspired architecture, and has a giant, iconic castle along with a gigantic Colosseum.

Aside from all that, we've also seen glimpses of an island made out of candy, an island constantly being struck by lightning, and an island with invisible land.

Oda has definitely dumbed down some things lately, but I'd say geographical world building is the last thing I'd call out.

a majority of that is man made though

as in Punk Hazard isn't a climate thing but instead some ruins from a battle between two marines

and the others are nice and what not but we've seen most of that stuff with the other seas

we need something new and fresh something threatening.... something that shows how the geographical level of the new world is only meant for the tough of the tough

Lunar15

I dunno, nearly every time they've been on the water in the new world, it's been anything but normal.

I think the new world is feared more for the territory wars between the world's toughest pirates than its geography, but I'm really not worried about Oda's ability to do crazy nature. It'll show up.

I guess it may seem someone unique

but I've re-read OP several times to compare.... Plus I've read HXH before it went back on hiatus plus the current Toriko's world building

and I just feel lukewarm about it

Lunar15

I guess it may seem someone unique

but I've re-read OP several times to compare.... Plus I've read HXH before it went back on hiatus plus the current Toriko's world building

and I just feel lukewarm about it

There were looooooong gaps between natural deformities in the old days. You just didn't notice because you could read it all at once. Now that it's week to week, nothing seems recent.

Maybe I just don't understand what you're asking for. Can you give some examples?

Dugna

I think I sort of understand what the magic of One Piece is sorta missing, like everything is connected obviously so stuff from even chapter 1 impacts things in chapter ???. Oda does a good job there but now you obviously know chapter 1 is going to effect chapter ??? where as before you went "Woah".

After the Whitebeard War is seems every single island involves the Navy or the Wold Govt. Where as before even when the Straw Hat Crew ends up meeting up with other Navy/World Govt it felt like they had control.

East blue saga had them buildup to gather basic crew members leading into the grand line. With the culmination is when they went over reverse mountain. Then the beginning Alabasta Saga was literally just a chance happening it could've never happened, them meeting chopper was a chance and random happening. Like it all flowed well with chance happenings kinda like how Luffy was just blind to everything we saw things from Luffy's perspective.

The locales also changed from standard seafare of East Blue to Winter islands of drum to the desert of Alabasta, then what made the different locale changes even better is that they weren't mentioned like crazy afterwards. Now it just feels like we heard of Sabaody, Impel Down, Marineford, and Fishman Island for 3-4 years over and over no matter where Luffy was then once we left Fishman Island all we here about is more Navy stories.

Now we know alittle too much I think which ruins it, like Logias were great you had to think about what would be the complete anti of their element. Now though it's just "HAKI" and it solves mostly everything. We also have like a vauge idea what "One Piece" itself will be, I think Oda will have to throw a curveball to make a very good ending.

There were looooooong gaps between natural deformities in the old days. You just didn't notice because you could read it all at once. Now that it's week to week, nothing seems recent.

Maybe I just don't understand what you're asking for. Can you give some examples?

Sorry for the late reply

Okay so what I mean is world phenomenon like how in our planet we have natural wonders...
Northern Lights, or other natural beauty of awe!

Plus I also mean is new exciting weather.... Something that shows how tough the new world is compared to the other lands.... Something that shows that sailing it won't be as easy.
Other then the compass acting differently there aren't any really unique ones....... I just feel that on a world building level the new world is more lackluster

I could be wrong though seeing as we've haven't ventured through most of it so who knows we might get something as exciting as the things we see in Toriko's Gourmet world
Because right now the only unknown I am looking forward to other them answers to characters or ancient weapons is that Sea that Sanji is looking for...

We need a sense of mystery or a long term destination/goal to look forward to that we can somehow use to get a picture of things

we need a map to show not everything per say but showing some sort of image of what to expect..... or see stuff that is overly imaginative that will blow us away

I am just roughly trying to get out what I mean....... since it is somewhat hard to say.... but

I haven't seen yet.... at least for me (other then a few hints on some big characters) that makes me say "Wow this is the NEW WORLD"

Sorry for the late reply

Okay so what I mean is world phenomenon like how in our planet we have natural wonders...
Northern Lights, or other natural beauty of awe!

Plus I also mean is new exciting weather.... Something that shows how tough the new world is compared to the other lands.... Something that shows that sailing it won't be as easy.
Other then the compass acting differently there aren't any really unique ones....... I just feel that on a world building level the new world is more lackluster

I could be wrong though seeing as we've haven't ventured through most of it so who knows we might get something as exciting as the things we see in Toriko's Gourmet world
Because right now the only unknown I am looking forward to other them answers to characters or ancient weapons is that Sea that Sanji is looking for...

We need a sense of mystery or a long term destination/goal to look forward to that we can somehow use to get a picture of things

we need a map to show not everything per say but showing some sort of image of what to expect..... or see stuff that is overly imaginative that will blow us away

I am just roughly trying to get out what I mean....... since it is somewhat hard to say.... but

I haven't seen yet.... at least for me (other then a few hints on some big characters) that makes me say "Wow this is the NEW WORLD"

I don't know, those tiny bits with the supernova post timeskip got me pretty excited about the possibilities of the New World; And the time when they finally get out of the bottom of the sea and land in this surface of flames, a burning sea along with the whales... That was incredible and really, really NEW WORLD-ish for me.

Maybe we just went to "Arabasta" too soon in this second half, and we needed more little islands/ more exploration?

( Even though i love Dressrosa as an arc, it's been such a great ride).

I guess other series put my OP new world expectation up a notch

:/

Plus the pacing too I guess...... hence why I love some of those OP movies since they show us some big guns and wrap it up in a compact amount of time rather then stretch things out

Even though it's been four years since the time skip, we've barely even dipped our toes into the New World.
The longer arcs and more character-focused side stories have gotten a bigger focus mostly due to the larger cast and big players coming to the forefront.
I don't doubt that Oda has a lot of interesting stuff in store for the New World, but we just have to wait a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom