• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Even though it's been four years since the time skip, we've barely even dipped our toes into the New World.
The longer arcs and more character-focused side stories have gotten a bigger focus mostly due to the larger cast and big players coming to the forefront.
I don't doubt that Oda has a lot of interesting stuff in store for the New World, but we just have to wait a little longer.
Maybe. After this, it's straight up Big Mama arc, unless they end up being friends or something weird, which allows them some downtime. I think what we're seeing now is what it's going to be like for the rest of the series. If this manga is actually going to end in the next 10 years, they have a LOT of ground to cover.

I think the Pirate Alliance stuff has dragged on soooooo long because Oda is trying to figure out where he can go from here. I mean he's basically peaked in terms of fight stakes right now, you can't keep ratcheting everything up 2x for every single island/arc.

My prediction, they get to the next island (can't remember the name right now) find out Jimbei helped the Sunny, finally have him join, Kin'emon, Kanjuro and unnamed Samurai #3 get their crowning moment of badass somehow, and the Navy's newest admiral along with Fujitora show up to fight against the two Yonko that inevitably show up.

And maybe if Kaido shows up they'll actually explain just why Momo is so important.

Also I think after the next Island, Sabo tags along as not so much a crew member, but a permanent supporting character since the Straw Hats interests will likely intersect 100% with the revolutionaries interests.

Maybe. After this, it's straight up Big Mama arc, unless they end up being friends or something weird, which allows them some downtime. I think what we're seeing now is what it's going to be like for the rest of the series. If this manga is actually going to end in the next 10 years, they have a LOT of ground to cover.

Eh.... I doubt Big Mama is coming to play next. Most likely arc is Wano considering the samurai that keep on being introduced. I'm still not sure whether Kaidou will come before or after Big Mama again.

Eh.... I doubt Big Mama is coming to play next. Most likely arc is Wano considering the samurai that keep on being introduced. I'm still not sure whether Kaidou will come before or after Big Mama again.

Big Mama was already chasing the sunny so she has to be involved somehow. They're going to Zou next.

If I'm Law right now, my new long-term plan is kidnapping Sugar and forcing her to use her ability on Doflamingo and Ceasar.

Kaido would lose so much of his knowledge about the SMILES, it could cripple his army with barely any effort. There's also a chance he'd forget the SMILE factory by association, which would mean the SHs and Law would be free from Kaido's wrath. Dofla spending the rest of his life as a toy would be suitable revenge for Law as well.

If I'm Law right now, my new long-term plan is kidnapping Sugar and forcing her to use her ability on Doflamingo and Ceasar.

Kaido would lose so much of his knowledge about the SMILES, it could cripple his army with barely any effort. There's also a chance he'd forget the SMILE factory by association, which would mean the SHs and Law would be free from Kaido's wrath. Dofla spending the rest of his life as a toy would be suitable revenge for Law as well.

But then Law would forget his existence and lose his primary motivation.

But then Law would forget his existence and lose his primary motivation.

I mean after Dofla is beaten. It would really be for the best, and I think Law would see wiping Doflamingo's existence from the minds of the world as a suitable tradeoff for losing the memory of kicking his ass.

And really, there's a high chance Sugar would do this anyway to save her young master from dying at Kaido's hands or spending the rest of his life in Impel Down.

I mean after Dofla is beaten. It would really be for the best, and I think Law would see wiping Doflamingo's existence from the minds of the world as a suitable tradeoff for losing the memory of kicking his ass.

And really, there's a high chance Sugar would do this anyway to save her young master from dying at Kaido's hands or spending the rest of his life in Impel Down.

This is so dark-ish. I kinda see it happening, tbh

What i don't remember is if Sugar actually remembers the people she "cursed" or not.

smurfx

get some go again

a better punishment would be sugar using her powers on all of dolamingo's crew that is still loyal and have him take on kaidou alone.

Any favorite Supernova, guys?

I really like Killer's design and personality post time-skip. He's like the Zoro of that crew (and i guess i didn't realize until now he had a scar from a burn in his left arm... That + Kidd's lost appendage = another hint that the new world is serious business).

Any favorite Supernova, guys?

I really like Killer's design and personality post time-skip. He's like the Zoro of that crew (and i guess i didn't realize until now he had a scar from a burn in his left arm... That + Kidd's lost appendage = another hint that the new world is serious business).

I think Drake is cool

ffdgh

Law's past revealed? Wonder what that is. So glad pica is done so we can get back to the main battle(s).

Also I love the reactions to zoro grand entrance lol.
AdQV8qH.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Zoro continues to be the most OP Strawhat after the time skip... He barely tries or is serious and still dominates every of his fights with ease. I love him but damn Oda needs to throw him a real challenge in the next Samurai Arc.

Sanji looks like a Fodder compared to Zorro at this point... lol.

Raxus

I always thought that Sanji was weaker than Zorro when it comes to mere fighting power.

They seem to pair them up with the strongest opponents but Sanji seems to be on par with him. It doesn't help Sanji has only jobbed post time skip and we haven't seen a true test of his powers.

cw_sasuke

I always thought that Sanji was weaker than Zorro when it comes to mere fighting power.
Well that was the case, but ever since the time skip it seems like they are even further apart than before. Sanji already had a couple of moments where he shit in his pants against Vergo or DoFla whereas Zoro doesn't seem to be bothered by much... even facing an Admiral.

But then again Zoro goal is strictly related to his strength while Sanji doesn't need to be as strong to help the crew.

Zoro is the strongest Strawhat right now in my opinion and seems to be the most confident in his power.
The Monster Trio ranking is Luffy > Zoro > Sanji.
Luffy is only > because he is the main hero and Captain, but I don't think he could take on Zoro - after all swords are his weakness and he already has his big ass wound on the chest that once hit would be his end anyway.

I'm sure Zoro could endure more Luffy hits than Luffy could endure of Zoros slashes.

ffdgh

Nah luffy is still the strongest (imo ofcourse) especially with his second/third gear and haki shenanigans. Heck he knocked out 50000 fishmen without much effort lol. Still I'd say they're close in strength.

cw_sasuke

Nah luffy is still the strongest (imo ofcourse) especially with his second/third gear and haki shenanigans. Heck he knocked out 50000 fishmen without much effort lol. Still I'd say they're close in strength.

It doesnt matter how many fodders he can knock out when facing against someone like Zoro. There are a bunch of enemies where Luffy will have the advantage and overall he might be stronger but in a specific fight against Zoro i dont think he would win. That why Zoro is his Vice Captain because he covers the bases Luffy is weak against - i never could imagine someone like Luffy take out Mihawk, he just isnt build for these guys, that are likely to one shot you with a sword slash xD

Luffy took his time to take out Hodi while Zoro one shotted him under water lol...even after the drug abuse Hodi managed to reopen Luffy wound. Fucking Hodi...i dont have to tell you how the match would have ended if Zorro was going for the kill Luffy.

Syntsui

It doesnt matter how many fodders he can knock out when facing against someone like Zoro. There are a bunch of enemies where Luffy will have the advantage and overall he might be stronger but in a specific fight against Zoro i dont think he would win. That why Zoro is his Vice Captain because he covers the bases Luffy is weak against - i never could imagine someone like Luffy take out Mihawk, he just isnt build for these guys, that are likely to one shot you with a sword slash xD

Luffy took his time to take out Hodi while Zoro one shotted him under water lol...even after the drug abuse Hodi managed to reopen Luffy wound. Fucking Hodi...i dont have to tell you how the match would have ended if Zorro was going for the kill Luffy.

Both Luffy and Zoro are fodder compared to Nami though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o3O93MS6qQ

cw_sasuke

Thats true, at least pre-time skip....might be different now though (lol).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Fuck yeah this chapter!
You can tell Zoro was planning all that with his conversations with the other Coliseum fighters.
Looks like that plot-hole line from the Apis arc no longer applies.

Roronoa Zoro stars in Shadow of the Colossus

BatDan

That's a Poneglyph with Law's past? what the fuck?

God damn it pandas...
Poneglyphs are 800 years old, there's no way they know about Law.
It sounds like they fucked something up again.
EDIT: Apparently, the pandas have been adding that randomly to chapters.

God damn it pandas...

And i guess still no Poneglyph has said anything about a D. or the will, at all...
It's just, i wanted to know more about Law specially after what we've learned this arc, fuck MP :(

Blackhead

Redarse
God damn it pandas...
EDIT: Apparently, the pandas have been adding that randomly to chapters.
best trans instead of pandas? because fuck em, i'd rather wait than read their rubbish

Your joking right ?
Right now luffy is fighting someone that has huge advantaged over him even more so than Zoro would have and we all know he going to win .
Also Hodi did not open back luffy wound .
Pre time skip luffy was avoiding mihawk attacks that should tell you something .

Chapter was nice.

RK9039

Cool chapter, who does that King Punch at the end?

Zoro is really strong but we still haven't seen him get serious after the timeskip... The only time he was in any trouble was when Fujitora held him down with his gravity move and Zoro was still able to get out using a single slash whereas Law couldn't.

BatDan

Cool chapter, who does that King Punch at the end?

Zoro is really strong but we still haven't seen him get serious after the timeskip... The only time he was in any trouble was when Fujitora held him down with his gravity move and Zoro was still able to get out using a single slash whereas Law couldn't.

Elizabello II again... he's the only one that does the King Punch.

cw_sasuke

Your joking right ?
Right now luffy is fighting someone that has huge advantaged over him even more so than Zoro would have and we all know he going to win .
Also Hodi did not open back luffy wound .
Pre time skip luffy was avoiding mihawk attacks that should tell you something .

Chapter was nice.
Luffy would already be gone if it wasn't for Law and all the other help let's be real. The fight is stated that way so that Luffy will somehow win at the end with help, but in no way is he on DoFla level.

Avoiding Mihawks attacks? You really think Mihawk was serious and going to screw up his relationship with Shanks for the Marines?

Your logic is flawed, of course he will win the fight against DoFla at the end... It's the end of a long ass arc and he is the main character. This doesn't apply to the scenario I'm talking about.

Strong as Zoro is I am fairly sure Luffy is still stronger, what I am dissapointed with is how they have turned Sanji into a jobber..he's my favourite Strawhat :(

Luffy would already be gone if it wasn't for Law and all the other help let's be real. The fight is stated that way so that Luffy will somehow win at the end with help, but in no way is he on DoFla level.

Avoiding Mihawks attacks? You really think Mihawk was serious and going to screw up his relationship with Shanks for the Marines?

Your logic is flawed, of course he will win the fight against DoFla at the end... It's the end of a long ass arc and he is the main character. This doesn't apply to the scenario I'm talking about.

Mihawk was being serious that it what he said and he also one of those i believe in fated characters.
Hell if was not for luffy early haki kicking in Mihawk would have cut off luffy arms can't get more serious than that .
May i also remind you that luffy trained with rayleigh for a year and half and his weapon is a sword .

Also luffy has not gotten much help vs Don in either of his 2 fights vs don from law.
Saying he not on Don level is nonsense since we have not seen luffy get a real fight since the time skip
Luffy is not built to take on swordsmen is false even more so when he is fighting someone right now that would have all the advantages swordsmen would have vs him plus more.

cw_sasuke

I think you are reading the wrong Manga if you think PK means that you are supposed to be the strongest Pirate and have no weakness, there would be no need for a crew otherwise. Where does it state the the Pirate King will or has to be stronger than every swordsmen? Pirate King means the Captain has reached Raftel, conquered the grandline and doesn't give a damn who he is facing.. Freedom. Luffy ability to make bonds with other people and his stubbornness will get make him Pirate King, not that he is the strongest.

He will be strong enough to protect his friends and fight for what he believes in, but I don't think Pirate King means being perfect against every enemy. People just assume that Gold Roger is stronger than Rayleigh for example, I don't...he might have had the bigger ambitions and the characteristics of someone who could call himself Pirate King.

It's just an opinion not worth getting mad about it, but if you really think that Luffy could take on DoFla in a 1on1 match without plot assistance and help we don't need to have the discussion.

I think you are reading the wrong Manga if you think PK means that you are supposed to be the strongest Pirate and have no weakness, there would be no need for a crew otherwise. Where does it state the the Pirate King will or has to be stronger than every swordsmen? Pirate King means the Captain has reached Raftel, conquered the grandline and doesn't give a damn who he is facing.. Freedom. Luffy ability to make bonds with other people and his stubbornness will get make him Pirate King, not that he is the strongest.

It's just an opinion not worth getting mad about it, but if you really think that Luffy could take on DoFla in a 1on1 match without plot assistance and help we don't need to have the discussion.

The strongest swordsman in the world already said being PK is harder than being the strongest swordsman .
WB could have been PK and he was above the strongest swordsman .
You can have a weakness and still be the strongest or one of the strongest and every character has plot assistance.
The manga is set up that the PK is the strongest or one of the strongest characters in the manga this being shonen .
Also luffy need a crew so he can sail the grandline that don't mean he can't take on certain people at a high level.

EDIT i am not mad and of course you can have your opinion but that don't mean i can't say it wrong and use facts from the manga to try and show it .

cw_sasuke

The strongest swordsman in the world already said being PK is harder than being the strongest swordsman .
WB could have been PK and he was above the strongest swordsman .
You can have a weakness and still be the strongest and every character has plot assistance.
The manga is set up that the PK is the strongest or one of the strongest characters in the manga .
Also luffy need a crew so he can sail the grandline that don't mean he going to be weak .
This is shonen manga we talking about .

Shonen Manga or not this doesnt mean much - Goku also wasnt the strongest at the end on of Z, same is true for many other Shonen heroes.

You are moving the goalpost, i was talking about a specific matchup against an enemy that has an advantages imo. I also admitted that in a general and braoder sense Luffy is stronger - but i dont see him taking out Zoro with what they have shown so far.

Of course being PK is more difficult since you need to have it all - power, ambition, the crew, the allies, luck etc. no is arguing against that, at least i am not. You need all that just to enter the Grandline, entering Raftel and finding the "One Piece" means the will to bet your life on everything.

Whitebeard couldnt have been Pirate King because he was lacking the ambition. The Yonkous are an example showing that power isnt the only factor deciding who can call himself Pirate King.

Your Luffy > Zoro arguments doesnt seem to take into account what its really being shown in the manga and come from the fact that he is the captain, main hero etc.

Of course at the End the manga might show more clearly that Luffy is superior or could take out someone like Zorro - sure, but right now i am not seeing it. Sure i might be wrong, but its worth the discussion based on what each character has shown post time skip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom