• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another translation is out
That bit about Law on the cover page was an advertisement for Volume 76.
For whatever reason, those damn bears removed the part about Volume 76

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
God damn it pandas...
Poneglyphs are 800 years old, there's no way they know about Law.
It sounds like they fucked something up again.
EDIT: Apparently, the pandas have been adding that randomly to chapters.

It's just an advertisement in Jump for a volume release guys.

[edit] yeah, that

Shonen Manga or not this doesnt mean much - Goku also wasnt the strongest at the end on of Z, same is true for many other Shonen heroes.

You are moving the goalpost, i was talking about a specific matchup against an enemy that has an advantages imo. I also admitted that in a general and braoder sense Luffy is stronger - but i dont see him taking out Zoro with what they have shown so far.

Of course being PK is more difficult since you need to have it all - power, ambition, the crew, the allies, luck etc. no is arguing against that, at least i am not. You need all that just to enter the Grandline, entering Raftel and finding the "One Piece" means the will to bet your life on everything.

Whitebeard couldnt have been Pirate King because he was lacking the ambition. The Yonkous are an example showing that power isnt the only factor deciding who can call himself Pirate King.

Your Luffy > Zoro arguments doesnt seem to take into account what its really being shown in the manga and come from the fact that he is the captain, main hero etc.

Of course at the End the manga might show more clearly that Luffy is superior or could take out someone like Zorro - sure, but right now i am not seeing it. Sure i might be wrong, but its worth the discussion based on what each character has shown post time skip.

I am taking account what has been showed in the manga .
Let forget about everything else and look at a Luffy and Zoro match up .
Speed wise Luffy is faster , destructive power and physical strength call it even .
Haki wise Luffy is better so what change since time skip that made Zoro look stronger ?

Another translation is out
That bit about Law on the cover page was an advertisement for Volume 76.
For whatever reason, those damn bears removed the part about Volume 76

The usual from them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I am taking account what has been showed in the manga .
Let forget about everything else and look at a Luffy and Zoro match up .
Speed wise Luffy is faster , destructive power and physical strength call it even .
Haki wise Luffy is better so what change since time skip that made Zoro look stronger ?

We know Luffy is faster from what exactly ? And how is Luffy Haki wise better just because he knows all three versions ? This chapter just showed us that having Haki doesnt mean much if the the opponent has the stronger Haki, Zorro more or less stated that he can cut through everything and Oda confirmed that Busoushoku is Zoro strong area. Haoushoku is useless against non fodders i dont see how it would help Luffy against Zorro. Both know Kenbunshoku so...thats even.

Endurance wise Zoro is a beast ( Luffy too though), i am just assuming that Zorro could take more hits from Luffy than he would be able to survive serious sword slashes. Hell he cut through Monet a Logia user without even using Haki and she was terrified as fuck lol.

One of the first things established in the manga was that Luffy going against sword types is more or less suboptimal and after this chapter i doubt his Armament Haki would be able to tank Zoros slashes when he already got wounded fighting way weaker enemies than Zoro post time skip.

Edit:

I will add though that since every form of Haki is linked to the users willpower i could see Luffy overpower Zoro depending on the circumstances, but its a tough call. Same is true for Zoro, doubt there are many things he cant cut through at this point.

Welfare

We know Luffy is faster from what exactly ? And how is Luffy Haki wise better just because he knows all three versions ? This chapter just showed us that having Haki doesnt mean much if the the opponent has the stronger Haki, Zorro more or less stated that he can cut through everything and Oda confirmed that Busoushoku is Zoro strong area. Haoushoku is useless against non fodders i dont see how it would help Luffy against Zorro. Both know Kenbunshoku so...thats even.

Endurance wise Zoro is a beast ( Luffy too though), i am just assuming that Zorro could take more hits from Luffy than he would be able to survive serious sword slashes. Hell he cut through Monet a Logia user without even using Haki and she was terrified as fuck lol.

One of the first things established in the manga was that Luffy going against sword types is more or less suboptimal and after this chapter i doubt his Armament Haki would be able to tank Zoros slashes when he already got wounded fighting way weaker enemies than Zoro post time skip.

Gear 2 + Observation Haki would put Luffy above in speed imo.

Endurance wise Zoro is a beast ( Luffy too though), i am just assuming that Zorro could take more hits from Luffy than he would be able to survive serious sword slashes.

We know luffy is faster from all the fights we have seen, are you saying Zoro is as fast as gear 2 luffy .
When Luffy is fighting it look like he teleports from one place to the next .
It has already be show that soru is faster than normal human speed by everyone that has uses it .
Never mind the fact that luffy training was all about using haki .

You seem to have this idea in you head that it would be easy for Zoro to cut luffy .
When pre time skip luffy was dogging mihawk attacks even if he was having a lot of trouble.

Also luffy problem has never been sword type it has always been vs cutting and sharp points .
A eg of this is the Lucci fight

DAMN! Zoro too stronk. But we already knew that. lol
Haki-ed swords, bruh!

Orlumbus and Elizabello helped too, that was good.

Thats true, at least pre-time skip....might be different now though (lol).

I3Lu9Wo.png

Nah.

cw_sasuke

Gear 2 + Observation Haki would put Luffy above in speed imo.

Zorro has Observation Haki as well, so it doesnt matter. Sanji is supposed to have the best Observation Haki from the Big 3 anyway.
We know luffy is faster from all the fights we have seen, are you saying Zoro is as fast as gear 2 luffy .
When Luffy is fighting it look like he teleports from one place to the next .
It has already be show that soru is faster than normal human speed by everyone that has uses it .
Them both knowing COO don't mean it even when we saw luffy was able to tell something was in palace before everyone in the FI arc .
Never mind the fact that luffy training was all about using haki .

Again this line of thinking doesnt make much sense imo. If Gear 2 Luffy could Speedblitz Zorro he would be able to speedblitz Mihawk, Fujitora etc. as well all enemies Zoro had no problem following.

How often have you seen Zoro getting owned because he is too slow ? Or Luffy own a top tier enemy because he is that much faster ? They are as fast as they need to be for their fighting style.

Luffys training was all about Haki because dude is a fool and didnt know anything about it - Zoro fighting style was always more inclined Haki oriented because the way he had to connect/feel the objects around him to cut objects. Sure all 3 were using Haki variants before we had an official term for it.

Oda himself stated that the Big 3 were the best in different kind of Hakis. Sanji Kenbunshoku/Observation, Zoro Busoushoku/Armament and Luffy Haoushoku.

Zoro stated there is nothing he cant cut through, Pica was a Top Tier DoFla general and quite proud of his Haki and just got one shotted.. We have seen Luffy taking hits from Fodders like Hodi - i dont see him taking on many Zoro hits.

You seem to have this idea in you head that it would be easy for Zoro to cut luffy .
When pre time skip luffy was dogging mihawk attacks even if he was having a lot of trouble.

Nope, nothing about this would be easy - i dont think you can predict the outcome. But i wont just say...yeah Luffy is stronger because he is the captain, main etc. - when the Manga shows us a different facettes to their relation ship and why Zoro is needed.

Just havent seen anything yet that makes me think Luffy would be able to take on Zorro. Using Gear 2 to speedblitz fodders isnt really an argument at the current level. Zoro has been there from day 1 to cover Luffys weakness, Zoro would be less important for the Strawhats and as Vice Captain if Luffy could as easily take on the strongest swordmen in OP universe.

Is this really a debate?

Zoro is ridiculously strong, but he's not on Luffy's level. Did we forget what he did to Noah a few years back?

Luffy is the only Straw Hat Member who even has a chance of defeating Doflamingo.

cw_sasuke

Is this really a debate?

Zoro is ridiculously strong, but he's not on Luffy's level. Did we forget what he did to Noah a few years back?

Luffy is the only Straw Hat Member who even has a chance of defeating Doflamingo.

Completely missing the point again - please read the posts :-/

We are talking about now, current manga. Luffy overall is stronger and able to fight and take on more Ubers. Doesnt mean he would do well against someone like Zoro in a fight. Every man has weaknesses.

So he was also the only one to defeat guys like Enel because of a type advantage - that doesnt mean he is stronger than every other person that couldnt take on Enel.

Nibel

Guys, a question:

one of my younger cousins always asks me if either Dofla or Mihawk is stronger than the other; he is really convinced that Mihawk is above Dofla in every regard and that he stands no chance at all.

I always told him that both are pretty much on par from what I've seen and that it probably depends on other circumstances to determine who would win.

What's your take on this?

Completely missing the point again - please read the posts :-/

We are talking about now, current manga. Luffy overall is stronger and able to fight and take on more Ubers. Doesnt mean he would do well against someone like Zoro in a fight. Every man has weaknesses.

I never said Luffy wouldn't have a hard fight with Zoro. But you said that Zoro is the strongest Straw Hat when past feats from Luffy says otherwise.

And another thing, Pica didn't get "one-shot" or whatever. A one-shot win is when you defeat your opponent with the first attack.

So he was also the only one to defeat guys like Enel because of a type advantage - that doesnt mean he is stronger than every other person that couldnt take on Enel.

This isn't like Enel. Doflamingo arguably has a more broken ability which gives him an advantage over his enemies. Luffy doesn't currently have a trump card for Doflamingo.

Zorro has Observation Haki as well, so it doesnt matter. Sanji is supposed to have the best Observation Haki from the Big 3 anyway.

Again this line of thinking doesnt make much sense imo. If Gear 2 Luffy could Speedblitz Zorro he would be able to speedblitz Mihawk, Fujitora etc. as well - all enemies
Zoro had no problem following.

How often have you seen Zoro getting owned because he is too slow ? Or Luffy own a top tier enemy because he is that much faster ? They are as fast as they need to be for their fighting style.

Luffys training was all about Haki because dude is a fool and didnt know anything about it - Zoro fighting style was always more inclined Haki oriented because the way he had to connect/feel the objects around him to cut objects. Sure all 3 were using Haki variants before we had an official term for it.

Oda himself stated that the Big 3 were the best in different kind of Hakis. Sanji Kenbunshoku/Observation, Zoro Busoushoku/Armament and Luffy Haoushoku.

Zoro stated there is nothing he cant cut through, Pica was a Top Tier DoFla general and quite proud of his Haki and just got one shotted.. We have seen Luffy taking hits from Fodders like Hodi - i dont see him taking on many Zoro hits.

You really do like taking things to the extreme once again being faster than someone does not mean you can speedblitz them.
Not to mention there CoO that play a part .
Also ray teach luffy how to use his DF power better .

Once again you using your opinion as fact when nothing in the manga show Zoro fighting style is better fit for haki .
Hell pre skip lucci own luffy because he was to slow , Kizaru stop luffy plan in the war because he was to slow .

Dugna

We need to learn more about Mihawk before we could say who's better between mihawk and doflamingo.

Luffy vs Zoro would probably end in a draw, since Haki is just the willpower in use...and those two are so boneheaded about everything is wouldn't end.

cw_sasuke

I never said Luffy wouldn't have a hard fight with Zoro. But you said that Zoro is the strongest Straw Hat when past feats from Luffy says otherwise.

And another thing, Pica didn't get "one-shot" or whatever. A one-shot win is when you defeat your opponent with the first attack.

This isn't like Enel. Doflamingo arguably has a more broken ability which gives him an advantage over his enemies. Luffy doesn't currently have a trump card for Doflamingo.

Luffy is the strongest Strawhat, i dont think he could take on Zoro from what we have seen so far though. Thats all.

Picas real body did get one shot in this chapter - come one ;-)

Luffy is alive against Dofla because Law is there to assist and has a History with DoFla. If it was just a 1on1 without anyone else DoFla would already had take Luffy out.

We need to learn more about Mihawk before we could say who's better between mihawk and doflamingo.

Luffy vs Zoro would probably end in a draw, since Haki is just the willpower in use...and those two are so boneheaded about everything is wouldn't end.

Sounds about right, their past encounter even if it was not serious would point into that direction as well. I would assume that Rayleigh and Gold Roger hat the same kind of relationship and werent far apart power wise because Rayleigh is freaking beast so many year after not being active.

It's worth mentioning that One Piece isn't as cut-and-dry as DBZ where a person's power is the only factor that determines who wins.

You have to take into account the skill, knowledge, disadvantages, and situational factors that can upset a battle between two strong fighters.

Luffy is the strongest Strawhat, i dont think he could take on Zoro from what we have seen so far though. Thats all.

Luffy is alive against Dofla because Law is there to assist and has a History with DoFla. If it was just a 1on1 without anyone else DoFla would already had take Luffy out.

Please tell me when law has help luffy in the fight other than that one punch and how is a one arm law suppose to help him now .
You need to stop using your opinion as facts .

It's worth mentioning that One Piece isn't as cut-and-dry as DBZ where a person's power is the only factor that determines who wins.

You have to take into account the skill, knowledge, disadvantages, and situational factors that can upset a battle between two strong fighters.

Of course but that don't change certain things .

cw_sasuke

Nibel i would assume they are on the same level power wise. Depending on the setup one might be stronger or have more of an advantage. I mean Mihawk is supposed to the strongest swordmen, but does that mean he could take on Shanks ? Hard to tell, just from their standing in the manga probably not.

As Imperial Bishop said at this level i think powerwise most Top Tier are around the same level and its all about Type advantages.

Please tell me when law has help luffy in the fight other than that one punch and how is a one arm law suppose to help him now .
You need to stop using your opinion as facts .

Knowledge is power. And they started the fight with both fighting against DoFla and you are gonna telle me that it doesnt make a difference ? Do you really think Luffy would have taken on DoFla and his clone as easy ?

Nibel

Yeah, this is why I told him that for now they seem to be pretty much on par on some crazy level of power.

I mean, this arc showed that Flamingo is capable of way more than just fighting.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Is this really a debate?

Luffy destroyed one small part of Noah's wooden deck after hitting it with a hundred elephant guns. Zoro just effortlessly sliced and diced Pica's mountain-sized form into niblets. Comparison doesn't support your thesis.

Well then, how is Luffy the strongest straw hat if he can't take on Zoro? Wouldn't that make Zoro the strongest?
I'm trying to understand what you're trying to convey here.

Zoro already cut Pica's real body months ago, but he didn't go down for the count.

Law is probably out the game now. There were a few occasions where it was only Luffy and Doflamingo. If he wanted, or could, take him out, he would have done it by now.

Luffy destroyed one small part of Noah's wooden deck after hitting it with a hundred elephant guns. Zoro just effortlessly sliced and diced Pica's mountain-sized form into niblets. Comparison doesn't support your thesis.

Noah is ten times bigger than Pica. Zoro stated himself that he has limited range for his slashes.
Pulverizing something is more damaging than cutting it. It's the difference between cut a tomato and half and stepping on it. Which one does the most damage to the tomato?

Knowledge is power. And they started the fight with both fighting against DoFla and you are gonna telle me that it doesnt make a difference ? Do you really think Luffy would have taken on DoFla and his clone as easy ?

Considering the first time they fight luffy was fighting don without any knowledge and the second time they fight luffy got in one punch because of law which did not change anything.
How you can say law has been a lot of help to luffy so far .
Also in the fight Law was fighting Trebol and Luffy was worry about him and Bellamy .

Luffy destroy pica head with one hit .
Not to mention that luffy was underwater and his goal was smash naoh into bits so it don't drop and kill people .
while zoro did not have to worry about than since someone else took care of it .

cw_sasuke

Well then, how is Luffy the strongest straw hat if he can't take on Zoro? Wouldn't that make Zoro the strongest?
I'm trying to understand what you're trying to convey here.

A>B and B>C doesnt necessary mean that A>C thats all im saying and the manga has proved this to the case a bunch of times.

Considering the first time they fight luffy was fighting don without any knowledge and the second time they fight luffy got in one punch because of law which did not change anything.
How you can say law has been a lot of help to luffy so far .
Also in the fight Law was fighting Trebol and Luffy was worry about him and Bellamy .

Ok if you say that Law didnt assist Luffy in the battle so far thats you opinion, i cant change it. No hard feelings. Same as thinking that Luffy could take on someone like DoFla 1on1 without help. I disagree but thats also just an opinion.

A>B and B>C doesnt necessary mean that A>C thats all im saying and the manga has proved this to the case a bunch of times.

Ok if you say that Law didnt assist Luffy in the battle so far thats you opinion, i cant change it. No hard feelings. Same as thinking that Luffy could take on someone like DoFla 1on1 without help. I disagree but thats also just an opinion.

It not a matter of opinion it's fact .
Look at the manga , Law did assist Luffy but with only one punch .
You keep on saying that law was big help to luffy or luffy can't beat don without him when everything in the manga shows other wise so far .

EDIT truth is up to now luffy and don not get a proper 1 on 1 fight cause something else always going on .

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I really wish Oda would go back to not having Haki being visible. I'm sure the editors wanted him to make it different to standout but it ruins earlier chapters that clearly had haki but didn't look like tar.

Zoro showed up and did his job! Really cool art in this chapter yet I'm surprised at just how strong Zoro continues to show he is considering he doesn't seem the slightest bit tired after this fight. His face when he was thrown was priceless though.

Mihawk is the strongest swordsman which puts him above or at the very least equal to Yonkou strength level considering Shanks, a swordsman, is also a Yonkou.

Spinx

Mihawk is not the strongest swordsman in the world, that's what the World Government wants you to think maaaaaan. It's all propaganda. :D

cw_sasuke

It not a matter of opinion it's fact .
Look at the manga , Law did assist Luffy but with only one punch .
You keep on saying that law was big help to luffy or luffy can't beat don without him when everything in the manga shows other wise so far .

EDIT truth is up to now luffy and don not get a proper 1 on 1 fight cause something else always going on .

I said he is being assisted by Law - thats a fact, nothing more. One Punch or hit enough at this level to completely change the momentum of the fight - didnt we learn anything from Ace vs. Blackbeard ?

If you wanna say that Luffy could be where he right now without outside help and assistance against DoFla thats you opinion, i disagree. DoFla couldnt get touched before and even receiving messed with his ego and he was about to start getting reckless.

I couldnt take OP serious could take on someone like DoFla on its own - DoFla is one of the strongest characters shown so far in this show, with power, ambition the skills to back it up and has been plotting for years.

Then again it doesnt really matter since i started with Zorro vs. Luffy and that was the point not trying to discredit every fight Luffy has been since the beginning of the Manga ;-)

I agree, which is why I mentioned earlier that there are multiple factors and circumstances that apply to any battle.

Word !!

Mihawk is the strongest swordsman which puts him above or at the very least equal to Yonkou strength level considering Shanks, a swordsman, is also a Yonkou.

I think that puts him about all characters that are sword only - i dont think you can put Yonkou like Shanks under that label. Shanks will have more up his sleeve even if his swordsmanship is Top Tier. At least thats what i think...but its hard to tell, we havent seen Shanks or Mihawk get serious yet. But Shanks could probably compete with Whitebeard and was the only one to get Akainu to back down...tough call.

I said he is being assisted by Law - thats a fact, nothing more. One Punch or hit enough at this level to completely change the momentum of the fight - didnt we learn anything from Ace vs. Blackbeard ?

If you wanna say that Luffy could be where he right now without outside help and assistance against DoFla thats you opinion, i disagree. DoFla couldnt get touched before and even receiving messed with his ego and he was about to start getting reckless.

I couldnt take OP serious could take on someone like DoFla on its own - DoFla is one of the strongest characters shown so far in this show, with power, ambition the skills to back it up and has been plotting for years.

Then again it doesnt really matter since i started with Zorro vs. Luffy and that was the point not trying to discredit every fight Luffy has been since the beginning of the Manga ;-)

The point is law assistance did not change the fight since it has not happen yet.
The last time we check law was on the floor with one of his arms off.
And the luffy and don 1 on 1 not happen yet .
We all know that luffy got here because of help same can be said for law .

In OP time wise luffy is going to be taking on a yonko in a few weeks\months .
Yeah this should be a hard fight for him but not out of the possibility for him to win it alone .

I really wish Oda would go back to not having Haki being visible. I'm sure the editors wanted him to make it different to standout but it ruins earlier chapters that clearly had haki but didn't look like tar.

Only the Hardening armament haki is visible. The basic type is invisible (at least to non-haki users)

cw_sasuke

I dont doubt he will finish off DoFla alone, then again this wasnt really the point of the whole argument. Just said that Luffy > Zorro isnt as clear as some general statements would suggest and Zoros fighting style seems to be advantage against Luffy.

Zoro can cut through or damage most object, it doesnt take that long for him to go for a finishing blow. I feel once injured Luffy would have a tough time competing against him, especially if Zoro can aim/reopen his wound.

Post timeskip Zoro just has been badass and effortlessly slicing up dudes...haki or no haki, logia or no logia above or under water. Dude is a beast.

Only the Hardening armament haki is visible. The basic type is invisible (at least to non-haki users)

Yeah, but they didnt show it during the Great War - probably because every top tier character would have been all black for 90% of the time lol....

Upon a re-read, I realized I didn't give Elizabello's King Punch enough credit.
It traveled all the way from the new plateau to the old royal plateau and knocked half of Pica's stone body across the other side of the island.

Maybe it can knock out an emperor....

Not.

RK9039

Guys, a question:

one of my younger cousins always asks me if either Dofla or Mihawk is stronger than the other; he is really convinced that Mihawk is above Dofla in every regard and that he stands no chance at all.

I always told him that both are pretty much on par from what I've seen and that it probably depends on other circumstances to determine who would win.

What's your take on this?

Both are crazy strong but we really haven't seen much from them yet, especially Mihawk. If I had to pick one I'd go with Mihawk personally because he's meant to be the best swordsman, that must mean something pretty significant.

Plus we don't know what his former bounty is. Doflamingo's bounty was apparently 340 million, although it would probably be even higher if he didn't join the WG.

Zoom is probably the usual sort of creative translation you get in that popular translation. The one I read said "zuuu" which I think is a more normal manga sound effect. Although what it would mean in that context I'm no expert.

Luffy would already be gone if it wasn't for Law and all the other help let's be real. The fight is stated that way so that Luffy will somehow win at the end with help, but in no way is he on DoFla level.

Avoiding Mihawks attacks? You really think Mihawk was serious and going to screw up his relationship with Shanks for the Marines?

Your logic is flawed, of course he will win the fight against DoFla at the end... It's the end of a long ass arc and he is the main character. This doesn't apply to the scenario I'm talking about.
what are you talking about? Luffy seems to hardly have gotten anywhere near his fighting potential yet. Luffy would already be gone without law? shenanigans I tell ya.

I actually think Zoro could kill Luffy mind you, he's definitely not as good defending against swordsman, but he probably has a whole nutha Gear or something he hasn't even brought out yet. Can't really measure Luffy or Zoro until they get back to bring-of-death moments really. Zoro needs another "progression" fight and Luffy needs for something/someone really important to him to be horribly mistreated with the perp laughing in his face.

How many years has it been since Zoro has had an actual fight? Awful, Oda. Awful.
Last fight he was pushed to the limits was when he cut steel as far as I'm concerned. He has other standout moments for sure, but one v one fights were he has to surpass the enemy and reach another level.

Last fight he was pushed to the limits was when he cut steel as far as I'm concerned. He has other standout moments for sure, but one v one fights were he has to surpass the enemy and reach another level.

Yup. Mr. 1 was the one fight other than Mihawk and Kuma where Zoro was pushed to his limits and was actually in danger of death. I'm guessing Oda really wants to save any good sword fights for Wano or when the Strawhats face a Yonkou crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom