• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
what are you talking about? Luffy seems to hardly have gotten anywhere near his fighting potential yet. Luffy would already be gone without law? shenanigans I tell ya.

I actually think Zoro could kill Luffy mind you, he's definitely not as good defending against swordsman, but he probably has a whole nutha Gear or something he hasn't even brought out yet. Can't really measure Luffy or Zoro until they get back to bring-of-death moments really. Zoro needs another "progression" fight and Luffy needs for something/someone really important to him to be horribly mistreated with the perp laughing in his face.

As said I'm just evaluating what they have shown so far, difficult to take some hidden power bursts into account. Zoro hadn't been pushed to his limits by anyone post time skip whole Luffy had to put in already quite some work against his foes.

Samurai Arc will probably be Zoros Arc to be tested.

How many years has it been since Zoro has had an actual fight? Awful, Oda. Awful.

Not all fights have to be about how bloodied and battered the hero is during the fight.
It's still too early for all of the Straw Hats to go all out. It's only the second New World island.

If Zoro gets pushed to his limits at the beginning of the NW, then it's time to go back and train some more with Mihawk.

cw_sasuke

Strahhats are overthrowing a Kingdom with a bunch of help right now - no need for Zorro to go all out if he isnt facing someone like Dofla or an Admiral. I think we will see tougher fights when we get the direct fights against other Pirate crews and battles against the Big Mom/Kaidou.

If Zoro gets pushed to his limits at the beginning of the NW, then it's time to go back and train some more with Mihawk.

I would go that far - i mean Sanji got pushed to it limits already against Vergo and Dofla. Just depends on the mash up, but it seems like Oda doesnt wanna show in a bad light, where he has no problem doing the same with Sanji or Luffy from time to time lol.

Chariot

Zorro is the only one in the crew who has no specific role. I mean, yeah, he is vice-captain, but that doesn't translate to any kind of job. He is basically just a fighter and does not much more than train while travelling. So just let him be stronger than the generally more useful cook.

Not that captain Ruffy is doing much work, but he is also the crews strongest fighter*

* weaknesses apply

cw_sasuke

Zorro is the only one in the crew who has no specific role. I mean, yeah, he is vice-captain, but that doesn't translate to any kind of job. He is basically just a fighter and does not much more than train while travelling. So just let him be stronger than the generally more useful cook.

Not that captain Ruffy is doing much work, but he is also the crews strongest fighter*

* weaknesses apply

Hehe true...you could say being a Badass is Zoros full time job and Oda just cant fire him yet or put him on a paid leave. Zoro gotta eat.

Also Zoros is the only one which goals is completely tied to his own strength and power - take Zoros strenghts and fighting abilities away and you kills his character. Luffy even when he isnt the strongest has other qualities that can turn the tide during battles as shown before.

Holy shit, I had no idea this thread existed. Why didn't anyone tell me? I remember looking for a One Piece Manga thread a billion years ago but there was none ;b I'm gonna subscribe to this thread and become a regular here as well :) I'm undoubtedly the biggest One Piece fan on GAF. I love the manga so much and even still re-read it daily.

And the whole Zoro discussion going on right now is a little bit premature :)

* weaknesses apply

Zoro isn't the vice captain, lol. Sure enough, in the book One Piece Yellow he is referred to as being "like a vice captain", but never in the manga has any such thing been established or said.

Dugna

Holy shit, I had no idea this thread existed. Why didn't anyone tell me? I remember looking for a One Piece Manga thread a billion years ago but there was none ;b I'm gonna subscribe to this thread and become a regular here as well :) I'm undoubtedly the biggest One Piece fan on GAF. I love the manga so much and even still re-read it daily.

And the whole Zoro discussion going on right now is a little bit premature :)

Zoro isn't the vice captain, lol. Sure enough, in the book One Piece Yellow he is referred to as being "like a vice captain", but never in the manga has any such thing been established or said.

Luffy never really cares about rank, just that you have a role on the ship mainly....though now he has all roles mostly.

Also Sanji just needs to learn armament haki because he's already fast enough to keep up with people like Doflamingo his base just isn't strong enough is all.

Luffy never really cares about rank, just that you have a role on the ship mainly....though now he has all roles mostly.

Also Sanji just needs to learn armament haki because he's already fast enough to keep up with people like Doflamingo his base just isn't strong enough is all.

Nah, Luffy doesn't care about roles at all. He didn't even know Brook was a musician before he invited him, and he has comically invited all kinds of people to his crew (especially during Thriller Bark and the beginning of Punk Hazard), even though they wouldn't fill any specific "role". Jimbei has also been invited and will probably join in due time, and what role would he fill other than being another warrior? Luffy couldn't care less.

Dugna

Nah, Luffy doesn't care about roles at all. He didn't even know Brook was a musician before he invited him, and he has comically invited all kinds of people to his crew (especially during Thriller Bark and the beginning of Punk Hazard), even though they wouldn't fill any specific "role". Jimbei has also been invited and will probably join in due time, and what role would he fill other than being another warrior? Luffy couldn't care less.

Luffy cares about roles but by thriller bark he quite literally already has all the roles he technically needs. Him inviting random zombies in thriller bark to join his crew was just him joking around and having fun.

Zoro was always the official unofficial vice captain to me due to strength and seniority.

But yeah there are no official positions. All you need to be a strawhat is a dream you previously have up on and a sad backstory

Luffy cares about roles but by thriller bark he quite literally already has all the roles he technically needs. Him inviting random zombies in thriller bark to join his crew was just him joking around and having fun.

Hahaha, no no no. Luffy does NOT care. At all. Do you think Robin joined because she's an archaeologist? And Luffy is not ever joking around when inviting others. Oda is, and of course Luffy's crew stops him every time, but Luffy is serious.

Zoro was always the official unofficial vice captain to me due to strength and seniority.

But yeah there are no official positions. All you need to be a strawhat is a dream you previously have up on and a sad backstory

Most of the Straw Hats joined before any sad back story was introduced.

RK9039

Zoro is like a vice captain really, he's the first mate. When Luffy can't make tough decisions, because he's basically a child, Zoro steps in.

When the entire crew got rekted only one of them got up to sacrifice himself to protect the crew, Sanji got up as well but got knocked right back down again. And in his own way he seems like captain material. He's pretty much the only one in the crew who talks to Luffy like that.

So yeah, he doesn't have a specific job in the crew while all the others, minus Luffy, do have practical roles (Zoro is usually seen sleeping most of the time or being a Lookout). He's basically like Luffy, they're just the strongest ones on the ship and have the highest authority. Both Luffy and Zoro to me are also the most stupidest ones on the ship as well which is probably why they don't have any practical roles to fulfill.

I think there are official positions in the Strawhat crew, just not official ranks like the Whitebeard crew who have officers and commanders.

Lirlond

Luffy is a Leader, and the leader doesn't have to be the strongest, they just have to have charisma, guts, and be approachable. Look at Buggy for instance, he isn't insanely strong, he simply has the ability to have others follow him.

Dugna

Hahaha, no no no. Luffy does NOT care. At all. Do you think Robin joined because she's an archaeologist? And Luffy is not ever joking around when inviting others. Oda is, and of course Luffy's crew stops him every time, but Luffy is serious.

Most of the Straw Hats joined before any sad back story was introduced.

Nami is asked by luffy to join the crew after he hears she's a great navigator

Sanji's invitation after seeing how good a cook he's and how he treats others.

Zoro is asked to join after Luffy learns that he has great honor and is strong also because he's a swordsman.

Usopp joins because he has proven to fight alongside Luffy with honor that and his sniper skills were noticed by Luffy and Luffy knows how usefull snipers are.

Chopper is asked to join after he shows his skills as a doctor and his commitment to the pirates code.

Franky is asked to join because of his actions and Luffy figures out he's a shipwright.

Robin and Brook (sorta) are the only ones asked to join the crew not because of their roles. Luffy modeled his crew heavily after Shanks' crew so yes he knew what he wanted and he looked for each one when the moment was right, so much of the crew were not random.

cw_sasuke

Yeah Luffy doesn't care about much, but he chose the core members of the crew quite carefully and not random. Later with Brook and Co. it was more about just expanding the family and having more fun guys around. But Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Chopper etc. are essentials and important for him to compete.

Not all fights have to be about how bloodied and battered the hero is during the fight.
It's still too early for all of the Straw Hats to go all out. It's only the second New World island.

Good fights in arcs that take years to complete need some element of risk. Every Zoro figjt for the last three (or four?) years has been him destroying people.

This entire arc has been an extreme letdown in the fight category.

Zoro is like a vice captain really, he's the first mate. When Luffy can't make tough decisions, because he's basically a child, Zoro steps in.

When the entire crew got rekted only one of them got up to sacrifice himself to protect the crew, Sanji got up as well but got knocked right back down again. And in his own way he seems like captain material. He's pretty much the only one in the crew who talks to Luffy like that.

So yeah, he doesn't have a specific job in the crew while all the others, minus Luffy, do have practical roles (Zoro is usually seen sleeping most of the time or being a Lookout). He's basically like Luffy, they're just the strongest ones on the ship and have the highest authority. Both Luffy and Zoro to me are also the most stupidest ones on the ship as well which is probably why they don't have any practical roles to fulfill.

I think there are official positions in the Strawhat crew, just not official ranks like the Whitebeard crew who have officers and commanders.

Zoro does have a "job". He's the crews main fighter. It even says so in the beginning of each book. Just because he's not a doctor or a cook doesn't mean he doesn't serve a use.

Yeah Luffy doesn't care about much, but he chose the core members of the crew quite carefully and not random. Later with Brook and Co. it was more about just expanding the family and having more fun guys around. But Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Chopper etc. are essentials and important for him to compete.

Luffy would have invited them even if they weren't navigators, doctors or cooks. Luffy goes on personality more than anything else. Of course he knows that he needs a navigator, cook and especially a musician (top of Luffys list) too.

Dugna

Luffy would have invited them even if they weren't navigators, doctors or cooks. Luffy goes on personality more than anything else. Of course he knows that he needs a navigator, cook and especially a musician (top of Luffys list) too.

Again no, he looks for role first then invites. Luffy modeled his crew after Shanks, so he's looking for a Swordsman, Navigator, Sniper, Cook, Doctor, and Shipwright. When Luffy first meets Nami face to face he isn't really interested in her until she says she's a great Navigator. Zoro isn't invited until he learns that Zoro embodies what it's to be a swordsman. Usopp is invited because he shows the skills of a sniper and shows honor. Sanji isn't invited untill again luffy sees his compassion and honor, which reminds him of events with shanks.

Again and again their roles are what made luffy finally decide to ask them to join. Robin and Brook are the only ones who're just there for their personality at first.

Again no, he looks for role first then invites. Luffy modeled his crew after Shanks, so he's looking for a Swordsman, Navigator, Sniper, Cook, Doctor, and Shipwright. When Luffy first meets Nami face to face he isn't really interested in her until she says she's a great Navigator. Zoro isn't invited until he learns that Zoro embodies what it's to be a swordsman. Usopp is invited because he shows the skills of a sniper and shows honor. Sanji isn't invited untill again luffy sees his compassion and honor, which reminds him of events with shanks.

Again and again their roles are what made luffy finally decide to ask them to join. Robin and Brook are the only ones who're just there for their personality at first.

No, lol. I've already explained this to you. You can believe whatever you want, but again Luffy doesn't give two damns about any of that. He's way too carefree and again we've seen this over and over again in the story-line. You're right about Sanji when you say compassion and honor, and Usopp when you say honor again. That kind of stuff interests Luffy. He only invites people that he really likes. Everything else is secondary to him.

Zeppu

Usopp joins because he has proven to fight alongside Luffy with honor that and his sniper skills were noticed by Luffy and Luffy knows how usefull snipers are.

Chopper is asked to join after he shows his skills as a doctor and his commitment to the pirates code.

Luffy doesn't actually ask Usopp to join. Zoro just tells him to get on the ship 'because they are friends'. Luffy barely had any idea what a good sharpshooter he was until he tried out the cannon on the Going Merry.

fvcEJKY.png

They found out Chopper was a doctor after they set off from Drum.

Mx6Tzsq.png

I could also argue he invited Zoro not for any position but because he just wanted someone strong to join him. He basically had to confirm he uses katanas while he was tied up. He was more convinced when Zoro decided to to the nice thing and eat those sweet rice balls that kid made him.

Dugna

No, lol. I've already explained this to you. You can believe whatever you want, but again Luffy doesn't give two damns about any of that. He's way too carefree and again we've seen this over and over again in the story-line. You're right about Sanji when you say compassion and honor, and Usopp when you say honor again. That kind of stuff interests Luffy. He only invites people that he really likes. Everything else is secondary to him.

He idolizes Shanks man...he models his "perfect" crew after Shanks' crew....heck he goes to Water 7 strictly to have a shipwright.

Even at the very beginning Luffy states "I think 10 members is the right amount." He know what he wants and personality only factors in after he had figured out their progression.

He idolizes Shanks man...he models his "perfect" crew after Shanks' crew....heck he goes to Water 7 strictly to have a shipwright.

Even at the very beginning Luffy states "I think 10 members is the right amount." He know what he wants and personality only factors in after he had figured out their progression.

Dude, I've proven you wrong so many times now and Zeppu's post did too.

And they never chose to go to Water 7; they were forced to because that's how the grand line works. And Shanks has way more than 10 crew members.

Dugna

Luffy doesn't actually ask Usopp to join. Zoro just tells him to get on the ship 'because they are friends'. Luffy barely had any idea what a good sharpshooter he was until he tried out the cannon on the Going Merry.

They found out Chopper was a doctor after they set off from Drum.

I could also argue he invited Zoro not for any position but because he just wanted someone strong to join him. He basically had to confirm he uses katanas while he was tied up. He was more convinced when Zoro decided to to the nice thing and eat those sweet rice balls that kid made him.

Again though he knows how useful those roles are, and luffy did know how good a shot Usopp because he displayed it in Syrup Village that cannon shot off the going merry was just to seal the deal on Usopp's role.

Chopper joined because of his skill even if Luffy also thought his transformations were cool. Zoro also was eyed at because of his skill with his swords which luffy figured out about because of rumors and the story the kid told him at the bar, Zoro's attitude sealed the deal also.

Luffy modled his ideal crew around Shanks' very heavily in the beginning and only started to be random about it with Robin and Brook. Even then Brook being a muscian made Luffy want him even more.

Luffy-Law combo attack. Has to be. Just to solve the flashback.

isn't Law KO now? all this time, with Bellamy bothering luffy and no treatment to that severed limb...

Although maybe Mansherry could help but that group is actually far from where they are fighting...

Grexeno

I think Trebol will get tired of Bellamy and take him out, royally pissing off Luffy and leading to him destroying Trebol. Then Law alone or Law+Luffy take on Doflamingo.

Raonak

Banned
Fuck that was awesome, man, as long as an arc it is, dressrosa will probably end up topping the whitebeard war as my favourite arc so far.

Zoro pulling out his bandana again was awesome, and wow. He's without a doubt on hawkeye's level now. That cut was really reminicent of the slash hawkeye did against luffy in the war, when it chopped the iced up wave far off in the distance.

Both ussop and zoro have been excellent in this arc. doing some really epic shit.

All eyes of luffy now, when he finds out about dofly killing his own brother, I am damn sure he's gonna unveil 4th gear. He hasn't got a powerup in quite some time.

Zoro is the first officer of the straw hats and is in charge of security and discipline. Probably why he is always sleeping and drinking when he is on the ship. It's the same job that Rayleigh had on Roger's crew.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of how Doflamingo will be beaten, and the Bellamy situation will be resolved and I'm drawing blanks

Leo is going to step up and counter Doffy's tricks.

Just re-read Law and Doflamingo's flashback storyline and i must say: it's fucking brilliant. I'm such a fanboy, but i legit teared up, this manga...

This and Nami's one are my favorites.

Thinking about it, i hope Law does end up living after all this conflict. It'd mean Corazon succeeded, even though he couldn't get rid of Doflamingo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Early reports tell us that this week's chapter will have a Color Spread and that next week there is no chapter.

I swear, if this week ends with the beginning of the Doflamingo fight...

Early reports tell us that this week's chapter will have a Color Spread and that next week there is no chapter.

I swear, if this week ends with the beginning of the Doflamingo fight...

LOL This week will be the first of 3 chapters covering the beginning of the end of the first Arc of the Bellamy fight.

This is a really weird moment in the arc. Zoro and Robin don't even seem to have broken a sweat. All the executives except Trebol are down. There are way too many allies still conscious and healthy and way too little enemies around. I feel like Oda may through a curveball and have Fujitora attack the pirates or possibly have Kaidou show up. No way will he just keep Zoro and Robin around and they aren't taking out the Bird Cage anytime soon.

Grexeno

Just have the chapter be Luffy vs. Bellamy and have it end with Trebol kicking Bellamy's ass, setting up Luffy vs. Trebol.

This is a really weird moment in the arc. Zoro and Robin don't even seem to have broken a sweat. All the executives except Trebol are down. There are way too many allies still conscious and healthy and way too little enemies around. I feel like Oda may through a curveball and have Fujitora attack the pirates or possibly have Kaidou show up. No way will he just keep Zoro and Robin around and they aren't taking out the Bird Cage anytime soon.

Maybe you missed the panel with robin's back severely injured by Diamante's spiky ball-rain? I'm pretty sure she's not okay with those. However, i can see Kaidou showing up (maybe he actually breaks the bird cage).

Idk I think this is just "we can't hurt everybody because they still have to go to Zou and re-unite for the real ultimate fight" or something.

I really hope we get more Jimbei in the next arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom