• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone else will be added to the main crew (except maybe Jinbe) but all the big players seem to have a fleet of ships now. So I've been expecting Bart and maybe some others to become leaders of fleet ships. It makes sense but things are going to get a bit complicated if they have to have time set aside for everyone in a big fleet.

No way he killed him. He'll be skulking in the shadows when everybody gives the traditional teary waving them goodbye moment and smiling about how he truly respects Luffy before walking away to go get his crew back/get a new crew.

I'd bet money on that being what happens.
That always happens. Wouldn't surprise me this time if Luffy catches his first kill.

I think it would be good growth for his character development, and he would remember Shanks line of 'this isn't a kids game we're playing here'.

Zoro was the one who said it wasn't a children's pirate game they were playing.

Also no, Luffy doesn't need to kill Bellamy (and afterthought, really) to get character development. If he's going to kill someone to motivate him and act as a driving force it'll be Doflamingo. Or the new Navy Admiral we still haven't seen or one of Blackbeards men when they laugh about Ace or something.

Bellamy had a nice moment, but he's basically an afterthought brought back because Oda wanted an excuse to link back to earlier work and establish a thematic bridge to Doflamingo. We'll see him 1-2 more times, and he'll disappear forever other than the occasional "look here's EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER" montage long running Shonen series have.

That always happens. Wouldn't surprise me this time if Luffy catches his first kill.

I think it would be good growth for his character development, and he would remember Shanks line of 'this isn't a kids game we're playing here'.

I've been wondering on what Luffy will do to Doflamingo if he wins the fight.

There's no doubt in my mind that everyone in Dressrosa would want to kill him. Kyros himself said in this chapter that as long as Doflamingo is still breathing he is a threat to the kingdom. Now considering whatever Doflamingo did to Law and all the pain he's caused Bellamy and other characters in this arc I'm wondering if Luffy could ever just "snap" and murder Doflmaingo. It's hard seeing where the villain could be if he survived after this arc as his life will be in danger from both Kaidou, the Marines, the Celestial Dragons, and anyone in Dressrosa. I feel Luffy more so than anyone, is gonna be the person that decides the real fate of Doflamingo this arc other than a simple smackdown.

I've been wondering on what Luffy will do to Doflamingo if he wins the fight.

There's no doubt in my mind that everyone in Dressrosa would want to kill him. Kyros himself said in this chapter that as long as Doflamingo is still breathing he is a threat to the kingdom. Now considering whatever Doflamingo did to Law and all the pain he's caused Bellamy and other characters in this arc I'm wondering if Luffy could ever just "snap" and murder Doflmaingo. It's hard seeing where the villain could be if he survived after this arc as his life will be in danger from both Kaidou, the Marines, the Celestial Dragons, and anyone in Dressrosa. I feel Luffy more so than anyone, is gonna be the person that decides the real fate of Doflamingo this arc other than a simple smackdown.

Luffy will never kill anyone. Oda discussed this way back during the Alabasta arc. The straw hats will never kill anyone. Luffy has never even used the word "kill" or any synonym to it throughout the whole saga; something Oda has been careful with.

I imagine Doflamingo will get sent to Impel Down by Fujitoria and/or CP0. Either that, or he escapes one way or another. EDIT: Then again he could actually be killed considering his back-story and all, but if so it's not going to be by the hands of a straw hat, probably by the hand of Law.

seeing as that dwarf princess was told to save her power I doubt Law will die

He'll be revived, plop his arm back on, and act like nothing really happened other than PATHOS.

Because this is, still, a show for children/teens. No major character is going to die without TONS of foreshadowing and working up too it (Ace).

Kreed

I don't know why One Piece fans are in such a rush for Oda to add more recurring characters every arc. Oda barely gives proper time to all the current Straw Hats outside of Luffy and Zoro. It's been over a year since we've even seen Sanji, Nami, Chopper, and Brooke in the manga. And the current chapter is the first time we've even gotten a glimpse of any of their 2 year time skip training. I'd rather Oda work on the current roster more/continue fleshing them out for a while vs adding new ones.

Luffy still knows how to throw a punch. :) Damn.

Some excellent contrast between the reasoning behind the punch in Jaya and this one.
Back then, Luffy saw Bellamy as an enemy without honor who laughed at the dreams of pirates. Luffy didn't have a problem throwing that punch.
Now, Luffy sees Bellamy as a friend who is willing to throw his life away for his own honor. Throwing a punch on someone he now sees differently from before must have been really painful for him.

MCD

I suspect that Doff will be killed by the tenryobito or whatever they are called, the ones he loathe so much.

Well Doflamingo is actually dangerous to the WG, and the Tenryuubito (that secret treasure he found in Mariejois) so i can see him being murdered by one of these "powers". Though the far more interesting thing would be Kaidou appearing now, specially with Caesar missing and the factory finally destroyed.

Lunar15

I'm assuming Sabo will fight Trebol, since he's all we have left other than Doflamingo, right? Or am I forgetting a fight?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm assuming Sabo will fight Trebol, since he's all we have left other than Doflamingo, right? Or am I forgetting a fight?

Nah that's it. And yeah, I can see that, if we assume Law is out of the picture for now. Which kinda sucks, since he has the greatest stakes against these people.

Though what I'd really like to see is Luffy, so pissed off after Bellamy and once he sees what's been done to Law, effortlessly one-shot Trebol on his way to Mingo.

SalvaPot

Hello! I just realized this OT existed, lets talk One Piece!

Really fun episode, Bellamy vs Luffy was a great callback to their first fight (As everyone has mentioned), it gives this fight something personal to Luffy to fight for. The build-up to fight Doffy has been too long, I can´t wait!

And I don´t think Law is out yet, he´ll either have a trick to support Luffy under the belt or is going to fight again. I kinda wish Luffy is defeated so Law is the one beating Doflamingo, but of course that won´t happen.

He'll be revived, plop his arm back on, and act like nothing really happened other than PATHOS.

Because this is, still, a show for children/teens. No major character is going to die without TONS of foreshadowing and working up too it (Ace).
I am guessing that her power plus Law's devil fruit ability will make it happen
Hello! I just realized this OT existed, lets talk One Piece!

Really fun episode, Bellamy vs Luffy was a great callback to their first fight (As everyone has mentioned), it gives this fight something personal to Luffy to fight for. The build-up to fight Doffy has been too long, I can´t wait!

And I don´t think Law is out yet, he´ll either have a trick to support Luffy under the belt or is going to fight again. I kinda wish Luffy is defeated so Law is the one beating Doflamingo, but of course that won´t happen.

I can see Law getting revived/healed up and having him and Luffy get the final blow together seeing as Luffy also now has a grudge with Doffy

I don't know why One Piece fans are in such a rush for Oda to add more recurring characters every arc. Oda barely gives proper time to all the current Straw Hats outside of Luffy and Zoro. It's been over a year since we've even seen Sanji, Nami, Chopper, and Brooke in the manga. And the current chapter is the first time we've even gotten a glimpse of any of their 2 year time skip training. I'd rather Oda work on the current roster more/continue fleshing them out for a while vs adding new ones.
Agree 100%, character development is always thrown aside in this series for the sake of world building.

Imo Kaido showing up makes sense. There's no way Big Mom is going to let the strawhats go, and the only one capable of making her go away at this point is one of the emperors.

Oda needs a hell of an explanation for leaving the rest of the crew out for so long.

Agree 100%, character development is always thrown aside in this series for the sake of world building.

Imo Kaido showing up makes sense. There's no way Big Mom is going to let the strawhats go, and the only one capable of making her go away at this point is one of the emperors.

Oda needs a hell of an explanation for leaving the rest of the crew out for so long.

lol story line wise hasn't the rest of the crew been gone for a little more than a day?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Weren't they on their way to the next island to save Law's crew only to be ambushed by Big Mom? Pretty sure that's a good explanation.

This sentence couldn't be anymore false.

The crew was absent much longer during the Paramount War Saga. A year and a half without Sanji, Nami, Chopper and Brook isn't that big of a deal. We're going to have another decade to spend with those characters anyway.
I need my skull joke fix. :(

Luffy will never kill anyone. Oda discussed this way back during the Alabasta arc. The straw hats will never kill anyone. Luffy has never even used the word "kill" or any synonym to it throughout the whole saga; something Oda has been careful with.

I imagine Doflamingo will get sent to Impel Down by Fujitoria and/or CP0. Either that, or he escapes one way or another. EDIT: Then again he could actually be killed considering his back-story and all, but if so it's not going to be by the hands of a straw hat, probably by the hand of Law.
you're missing the point. If Luffy killed Bellamy, it would be an accident, or something he didn't wish to happen. He would have to suffer a loss of someone who he actually had respect for, and reflect further on what it means to be a Pirate, and the King of the seas, "you may lose some friends" is a theme I think would grow Luffy well.

Zoro was the one who said it wasn't a children's pirate game they were playing.

Also no, Luffy doesn't need to kill Bellamy (and afterthought, really) to get character development. If he's going to kill someone to motivate him and act as a driving force it'll be Doflamingo. Or the new Navy Admiral we still haven't seen or one of Blackbeards men when they laugh about Ace or something.

Bellamy had a nice moment, but he's basically an afterthought brought back because Oda wanted an excuse to link back to earlier work and establish a thematic bridge to Doflamingo. We'll see him 1-2 more times, and he'll disappear forever other than the occasional "look here's EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER" montage long running Shonen series have.
Are you sure? I think Shanks said something like that against those bandits after he told them to "bet there lives on it". Luffy repeated the phrase later on and admitted he just did so because Shanks is cool.

Squishy3

Haven't really joined in this thread before, but honestly I think Law's chances of making it through this arc are slim. Law dying (maybe using his ability to grant immortality before he dies of a mortal wound) would definitely urge Luffy to finish what they started, even if it might feel a bit premature, since it was Law's idea, but eh. Law obviously isn't dead yet, if Oda is going to kill off Law, he's going to have Doffy make Luffy watch him do it, he was present at Marineford, so he knows Luffy was affected tremendously by Ace dying and would use that to try and shake Luffy.

It's Oda though, who knows what the hell goes on in his mind. :p Dude foreshadowed a plot point 150+ chapters before it came to fruit, he's kind of impossible to predict.

MIXH1zz.png

Not really; it's him doing a cliffhanger, and there's enough other stuff happening anyway.

you're missing the point. If Luffy killed Bellamy, it would be an accident, or something he didn't wish to happen. He would have to suffer a loss of someone who he actually had respect for, and reflect further on what it means to be a Pirate, and the King of the seas, "you may lose some friends" is a theme I think would grow Luffy well.

Haha, no, again, that's not going to happen. And Oda definitely doesn't want to change Luffy's character by making him more dark, more caring about such things and whatnot.

Grexeno

I think CP0 was there specifically to deal with the lie of Doflamingo leaving the Warlords. Once everyone knew about the trick, they bailed.

Huh? Doflamingo is not part of the World Nobles club, there is no way he actually has operational control over CP0.

He has total control over them because he knows the secret of the D (I'm speculating this is the deep dark secret that he has to lord over them). He can make them do whatever he wants.

Honestly I expect him to die but have a Whitebeard "ONE PIECE IS REAL" moment right before as a final spiteful fuck you to the Tenryuubito.

Grexeno

He has total control over them because he knows the secret of the D (I'm speculating this is the deep dark secret that he has to lord over them). He can make them do whatever he wants.
Uh, no. The CP0 was there to keep an eye on Doflamingo for the World Nobles and to keep shit from getting out of hand. Sure, Doflamingo probably said "help me on this or I'll spill the beans" but he does not give orders to CP0.

Huh? Doflamingo is not part of the World Nobles club, there is no way he actually has operational control over CP0.

Uh, no. The CP0 was there to keep an eye on Doflamingo for the World Nobles and to keep shit from getting out of hand. Sure, Doflamingo probably said "help me on this or I'll spill the beans" but he does not give orders to CP0.

Wrong again and again :)

I obviously can't post scans, but chapter 712 is where Doflamingo says he called for CP0, and chapter 761 is when Doflamingo explains to Law why he has the power of CP0.

You think so? He said it was a national treasure of Mariejois. I think it's something else.

I obviously can't post scans, but chapter 712 is where Doflamingo says he called for CP0, and chapter 761 is when Doflamingo explains to Law why he has the power of CP0.

You think so? He said it was a national treasure of Mariejois. I think it's something else.

If it's not the Will of the D I think it's like the Laplace box where it's a document or something about how they weren't supposed to reign forever or be gods.

Or it's about one of the secret weapons, but most likely it's either about the D or the lost century in some way.

If it's not the Will of the D I think it's like the Laplace box where it's a document or something about how they weren't supposed to reign forever or be gods.

Or it's about one of the secret weapons, but most likely it's either about the D or the lost century in some way.

Doflamingo said that if you combine the national treasure with Law's devil fruit power, you could throw the world in chaos. Could be one of the weapons, yeah, but I don't think it's the Will of D or any sort of document.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

In 712 he's waiting for CP0 to arrive, he doesn't say he called for them. In 761 he says he has power over the celestial dragons, blackmail effectively, but not explicitly over CP0.

He's clearly colluding with the government to fake his retirement from the shichibukai, but it's never implied that he has any kind of direct control over CP0. Indirect by blackmailing CP0's actual superiors, sure maybe.

But why the fuck would he need Law's fruit? I guess there should be something more than using his room, or Shambles to move some shit... Maybe he required Law to die for someone and actually grant "eternal life" to he/she...

Zatoth

Totally forgot about CP0 on the island.

Burgess should also still be in it. We haven't seen him since the fight in the arena, right?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Doffy isn't going to die.

He needs to stay around so that he is forced to meet up with Kaido and get taken out for not producing the smile devil fruits.

Thus Kaido will now set his eyes on Luffy as well. Making it 2 yonkou who want him dead (Big Mom, Kaido), 1 who is indifferent for now but will eventually fight him (Blackbeard), and one that Luffy is cool with (Shanks).

I wouldn't say Blackbeard is indifferent, but yeah he's concerns with Luffy aren't very urgent. The Blackbeard battle will be way later. I said it years ago and I still stand by it that I think Blackbeard will be one of the final bosses of One Piece. World government will be the absolute final, I believe.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah indifferent is probably the wrong word but definitely as of right now he doesn't care much about what Luffy's doing, they'll clash down the line but it won't be any time soon.

Korosenai

Just a reminder, but the Strawhat Pirates landed in Dressrosa at the end of chapter 700.... 79 chapters ago. Has this been the longest arc yet? It seems like it still might have 10 or 15+ chapters to go.

Grexeno

Just a reminder, but the Strawhat Pirates landed in Dressrosa at the end of chapter 700.... 79 chapters ago. Has this been the longest arc yet? It seems like it still might have 10 or 15+ chapters to go.
It's already the longest arc in terms of number of chapters by about a whole volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom