• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

BTW, Sabo seems to be running into one direction but looking at another (probably at the palace); another proof that there is someone else wrecking shit?

Squishy3

I'm convinced Doffy just likes to play with his food. You're telling me he and Trebol couldn't have guaranteed Law was dead while Luffy was fighting Bellamy?

Doffy pls.

Oh well, Luffy should be able to handle Doffy now since he's severely injured and also has to focus on repairing his internal organs. And he just punted Trebol away, so I don't think he's going to have to worry about Trebol all that much, since he and Doffy are on another level.

Akainu is neither asshole nor villain. The only "asshole-quality" he has is that he values honor before absolutely everything else, and thus would kill a fellow marine rather than letting him escape alive. It doesn't really make him an asshole though.

Bandini

BTW, Sabo seems to be running into one direction but looking at another (probably at the palace); another proof that there is someone else wrecking shit?

I think he was just noticing the bird cage getting smaller.

Akainu is neither asshole nor villain. The only "asshole-quality" he has is that he values honor before absolutely everything else, and thus would kill a fellow marine rather than letting him escape alive. It doesn't really make him an asshole though.

Murdering his comrades because they don't follow his near fanatical beliefs, and killing the brother of the main protagonist doesn't make him an asshole or a villain?

Jigolo

What are you talking about? From my understanding Sabo is just running away from the Bird Cage along with the pedestrians. No one else is causing havoc besides Doffy, the rest are KO'd. He's definitely looking in Luffys direction but whether or not he helps Luffy is up for debate

Murdering his comrades because they don't follow his near fanatical beliefs, and killing the brother of the main protagonist doesn't make him an asshole or a villain?

People are quick to forget that the main protagonist is a pirate.

You're not a villain because you kill a criminal.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

If his major life philosophy is "an asshole-quality"... that totally makes him an asshole. He fed one of Whitebeard's followers a line of BS so Whitebeard would get backstabbed, which is not very honorable. He hates pirates and he's an asshole.

DJwest

I just want 2 villians killed. Akainu & Blackbeard

fuck em
Blackbeard is awesome, I can't wait until he inevitably wrecks Shanks a second time. I vastly prefer Akainu as the leader of the marines compared to Sengoku. The Marine is a real threat now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I just want 2 villians killed. Akainu & Blackbeard

fuck em

You are nuts Blackbeard is one of the best characters in OP, dude is one of the few guys who actually acts like i would expect a Pirate to act and just doesnt give a damn. I love that he is an asshole but doesnt take himself too serious unless he needs...just life Luffy. They are both very similar when it comes to ambition.

Akainu is great as well even though we dont know much about him yet - he will be "redeemed" in the future once Oda explains where his hate for Pirates comes from.

pelicansurf

You are nuts Blackbeard is one of the best characters in OP, dude is one of the few guys who actually acts like i would expect a Pirate to act and just doesnt give a damn. I love that he is an asshole but doesnt take himself too serious unless he needs...just life Luffy. They are both very similar when it comes to ambition.

Akainu is great as well even though we dont know much about him yet - he will be "redeemed" in the future once Oda explains where his hate for Pirates comes from.

I can envision his wife getting murked by Pirates.

If his major life philosophy is "an asshole-quality"... that totally makes him an asshole. He fed one of Whitebeard's followers a line of BS so Whitebeard would get backstabbed, which is not very honorable. He hates pirates and he's an asshole.

Telling lies to your enemy in the middle of a war makes you an asshole? Fine, I guess, but it's not really an unusual strategy. In real life, most nations did just that during WW2, for instance.

What about sinking a ship of two hundred people ? That Robin flashback...

Yeah, now that's a good point. Akainu's reasoning is that if a single archaeologist got away that day, all the lives lost would've been in vain. His philosophy is that it's better for a thousand people to die than a million.

Look, I'm not saying I agree with his philosophy, but calling him an "asshole" just because your opinions differ is bizarre. He does what he believes is right, to save the most people.

Maedhros

Telling lies to your enemy in the middle of a war makes you an asshole? Fine, I guess, but it's not really an unusual strategy. In real life, most nations did just that during WW2, for instance.

Yeah, now that's a good point. Akainu's reasoning is that if a single archaeologist got away that day, all the lives lost would've been in vain. His philosophy is that it's better for a thousand people to die than a million.

Look, I'm not saying I agree with his philosophy, but calling him an "asshole" just because your opinions differ is bizarre. He does what he believes is right, to save the most people.

Are you for fucking real?

pelicansurf

Making it a viable move, doesn't make it not a dick move. Same way he trolled Ace in order to get him riled up and eventually kill him. Good move? Of course. Dick move? Yep. I'm just saying he isn't the super honorable guy you're building him up to be. He hates pirates and will do whatever it takes to put them in their place. He probably eats puppies too.

Also, thinking of it, he may be the biggest bonafide asshole in One Piece.

Making it a viable move, doesn't make it not a dick move. Same way he trolled Ace in order to get him riled up and eventually kill him. Good move? Of course. Dick move? Yep. I'm just saying he isn't the super honorable guy you're building him up to be. He hates pirates and will do whatever it takes to put them in their place. He probably eats puppies too.

Also, thinking of it, he may be the biggest bonafide asshole in One Piece.

Lol, I'm not building anyone up, I didn't write this story or any of the characters. But yes, he lied to his enemy in war. And he probably do eat puppies too, though then again his name is "red dog", so maybe there's a story behind that.

Squishy3

People are quick to forget that the main protagonist is a pirate.

You're not a villain because you kill a criminal.
With the way One Piece is structured as the main characters being pirates and some pirates being good, and some being bad (Blackbeard, Doffy, Crocodile, etc.) the marines are largely classified as "evil" because the main characters are all pirates, but you get the occasional marine that understands you can't always get the Straw Hats or whoever.

I would classify Smoker, Fujitora, Garp, Sengoku under the "good" banner, while Akainu obviously goes under the "bad" banner. Don't remember anyone else that really can go with him, but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of new Marines we haven't even met yet that could share his ideologies. There should also be an Admiral that we haven't met yet that could also share them, since Akainu moved up and Aokiji left, and we've already met Fujitora.

I think what Oda is going for with the Marines is that they're so focused on defeating pirates (yet turn around at the same time and give some of them Warlord status, which is why Fujitora wants to abolish the system, because some of the most despicable deeds in the series thus far have been done by Warlords/ex-Warlords), and that the more the Straw Hats defeat the actual big bad pirates with world domination aspirations or cause suffering on a wide scale (Crocodile, Hody Jones, Doffy, etc.) it makes the Marines look less and less effective.

I'm excited for when we actually get the reason why Fujitora wants to abolish the Warlord system. I'm willing to bet a Warlord did something terrible to the island he grew up on and it's why he's blind.

Akainu is lawful evil, in that he believes in absolute justice and that's it. I'm sure he follows the Mariejois orders to a T with absolutely no questioning or disbelief at what they tell him to do, while Sengoku at least showed some doubt over things that they said.

RomanceDawn

Nah he has his own crew. He likely becomes Luffy's first fleet ship or something and protects Fishman Island.

Not sure who a good 10th member would be. OP is going to continue for a while, so I could see them getting one more addition in the New World.

It's pretty much set in stone at this point, Jinbe will be joining and he'll be the 10th member. Oda has dropped many hints along with having Jinbe explicitly say he'll join the crew. Heck, even this very cover page gives us another nod to him joining and being the 10th Straw Hat. But even if Jinbe is the 9th Person(to join as counted by Luffy/Oda) he could potentially join after someone else. Oda recently said the next crew mates will join in succession so it could be a situation like Usopp(3rd) to Sanji(4th) to Nami(2nd despite officially joining after those guys).

Jinbe is one of those characters that are somewhat like Robin, at first glance they just don't seem like Straw Hat material. Too serious(what ever that means), too strong and too heavy of a Japanese theme going for him(clashing with Zoro). None of these are true or mean absolutely nothing, lol. We don't know Jinbe's dream yet but we can guess it has something to do with the mending of race relations. It's a very heavy theme in the story though and one that will be seen to its end through one of the main characters. The Fishman island flash back did feature Jinbe and his role but it was mostly about Tiger and Otohime, we don't even know how Jinbe received his scar. That scar was specifically removed during the flash back and we have no idea how it came to be so chances are there is some significant meaning behind it. I imagine we will see more regarding his training at the promised Fishman karate dojo and then something leading to that scar in another flash back.

Before the time skip it was easy to see that Jinbe might be too strong for the entirety of the crew, basically upsetting the balance that is the monster trio. After the time skip however I think all of that has been washed away. There is no reason why there can't be a monster quartet. There can be an interesting dynamic with Sanji as well. You've got a fire wielding martial artist who is amazing on land and great in the water, then you have a water martial artist who is great on land and amazing in the water. By his own admission, Jinbe tells us he isn't that great on land and while he is certainly being modest, Oda has gone a long way to portray Jinbe as something "softer" than the other war lords. What I mean by that is he couldn't protect Fishman Island alone, he couldn't properly save Luffy from Akainu, he has no 1HKO moves like Croc's absorption hand, Hancocks petrifaction, Moriah's shadow cutting, Kuma's repelling, etc. In the future we will undoubtedly see massive tidal waves destroying ships and such but he has yet to display the massive destructive capability of newcomers like Law. I believe Oda has done this purposely so that when he does join the crew his abilities won't appear to be completely overwhelming for opponents.

Jinbe had a strong relationship with Ace, the man who told Jinbe to take care of Luffy for him. Jinbe was the temporary straw hat for Luffy when he went through his most traumatic experience and Jinbe helped him break out of that funk. He's been on 3 adventures with Luffy and more is yet to come. Jinbe gave Luffy blood! The symbolism there after knowing the history is powerful! Jinbe told Neptune he has reasons for wanting to join Luffy but because of his ties to Big Mom he can't. He also told Neptune that being captain doesn't mean much to him. And he straight up told Luffy after he takes care of business he will join the crew and they are all waiting for him.

Oh and remember volume 64's cover? Jinbe standing behind Luffy with the rest of the Straw Hats ready for battle? Just like Franky joining the battle cover before he actually joined. We'll look back on cover 64 as heavy foreshadowing like the mysterious volume 27 cover with Luffy having wings and winking. We'll interpret these things much differently as time goes on.

Mark my words Jinbe is joining and will be the 9th person/10th member.

@squishy: Absolutely, Oda has definitely made both "good" and "bad" pirates and marines. There are many more vice admirals that can be placed under your "bad banner", some of which we saw during Enies Lobby.

The discussion on "lawful evil" is way too philosophical for a gaming forum with cute avatars and the "following orders with absolutely no questioning"-thing has been studied immensely and with many philosophical standpoints and reasonings if you're interested in researching that subject. Long story short: it's not that black and white. It's not that clear distinction where evil begins and ends.

Anyway, this is way too serious for my lighthearted comment (or intended lighthearted comment at least), but imo you're not a villain just because you're an antagonist, and you're not an asshole for doing what you believe is your duty.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Law is way too strong to be a Strawhat and he has his own Crew and Ambitions.

So............it's a mystery process

So it's a mystery ability!

tumblr_lhrol7L8Tx1qaaui6.jpg

You guys are worse than Luffy.

RomanceDawn

@RomanceDawn: What do you mean with cover 27?

On cover 27, Luffy has wings like the sky people and is winking to the audience. Behind him are a few priests I believe.

We know that the people of Shandora were allied with the Ancient Kingdom because their ancestors were tasked with protecting the Poneglyph above all else. Later we find out these winged people were separated into 3 tribes and came from the moon with highly advanced technology. These are all facts that we don't know about until Skypiea is finished.

One theory is that the ancient kingdom that was destroyed by the 20(19?)kings was probably the kingdom of the D's. We know that several races besides humans were a part of the D clan so maybe these sky people were as well. Luffy winking at us with wings may be a hint that Luffy has direct relation with the sky people. Maybe not by blood but because they all come from the D clan. One of the ancient weapons is some sort of battle ship, this we know for sure through the blue prints, so maybe some of that ancient moon technology is integrated within it.

Maybe D isn't even a word. Maybe a long time ago it was like a family symbol in place of a word. Though over time people just forgot what it was. Maybe D is half moon...

Dun dun duuuuuuuun!!!!!!!

Jigolo

If some of you guys are confused about what Doffy did to his body to heal the gamma cut, read this insightful explanation on reddit/r/onepiece.
http://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...test_technique_manga_spoiler/?sort=confidence

Yeah, Doffy definitely isn't 100% right now when he's about to go at Luffy. (I don't think Luffy is either). Essentially the damage is still there but just covered up. It reminded me of Hisoka vs Kastro (I won't spoil that for anyone). and for the "healing" scene after that

Doffy is definitely going to go down because of Law's attack, that was definitely the X factor. Luffy is going to finish the job

Akainu

What is some of this garbage I'm reading Akainu is the best character in One Piece in ages. Hell he was the one that finally broke the no one dies in the present by killing that shit Ace.

Jigolo

Fuck Akainu, he got rekt by a severely injured elder. Dude should've died by Whitebeards hands after that last attack

>:eek:

On cover 27, Luffy has wings like the sky people and is winking to the audience. Behind him are a few priests I believe.

We know that the people of Shandora were allied with the Ancient Kingdom because their ancestors were tasked with protecting the Poneglyph above all else. Later we find out these winged people were separated into 3 tribes and came from the moon with highly advanced technology. These are all facts that we don't know about until Skypiea is finished.

One theory is that the ancient kingdom that was destroyed by the 20(19?)kings was probably the kingdom of the D's. We know that several races besides humans were a part of the D clan so maybe these sky people were as well. Luffy winking at us with wings may be a hint that Luffy has direct relation with the sky people. Maybe not by blood but because they all come from the D clan. One of the ancient weapons is some sort of battle ship, this we know for sure through the blue prints, so maybe some of that ancient moon technology is integrated within it.

Maybe D isn't even a word. Maybe a long time ago it was like a family symbol in place of a word. Though over time people just forgot what it was. Maybe D is half moon...

Dun dun duuuuuuuun!!!!!!!

Hmm, interesting, but so far all of that is just fan theories. Personally I just thought it was Oda drawing Luffy like that for no major reason at all, but this is definitely a funny theory.

Yeah, Doffy definitely isn't 100% right now when he's about to go at Luffy. (I don't think Luffy is either).

Nah, Luffy's got that 200% look in his eyes. Doffy's still got all that blood up on his face in the last panel so he's probably at least a bit fucked up

RomanceDawn

Hmm, interesting, but so far all of that is just fan theories. Personally I just thought it was Oda drawing Luffy like that for no major reason at all, but this is definitely a funny theory.

The second half is just fan made theories but the first half is without a doubt true. Oda has a way about him to play around, foreshadow or both at once. While I'm not certain of the D being a half moon I am 100% there is some major meaning behind that cover.

The second half is just fan made theories but the first half is without a doubt true. Oda has a way about him to play around, foreshadow or both at once. While I'm not certain of the D being a half moon I am 100% there is some major meaning behind that cover.

Oh yes sorry for I was unclear, I know and I agree that the first part is true.

Yeah it's also true that Oda does like to foreshadow, but I'm not sure about this one.

Yeah, Doffy definitely isn't 100% right now when he's about to go at Luffy. (I don't think Luffy is either). Essentially the damage is still there but just covered up. It reminded me of Hisoka vs Kastro (I won't spoil that for anyone). and for the "healing" scene after that

Doffy is definitely going to go down because of Law's attack, that was definitely the X factor. Luffy is going to finish the job

If Doffy is still (barely) standing after Luffy goes all out, then I guarantee that his injury is going to bring him down in the end.
To compare it to another HxH moment,
Mereum vs Netero
comes to mind.

The immortality operation may be a significant plot point in the final arc, but no way is it happening to Luffy.

pelicansurf

Luffy is going to become Pirate King and then die just like the last PK, due to shortening his life by 20 years during the Marineford Arc. Sorry Luff!

Random question:

Ignoring things like the state of the anime industry, would you prefer that One Piece's animated adaption is either

• arcs broken up into a series of OVAs in the style of HunterXHunter 99
  • a long form series at the cost of pacing ala HunterXHunter 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom