• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Random question:

Ignoring things like the state of the anime industry, would you prefer that One Piece's animated adaption is either

• arcs broken up into a series of OVAs in the style of HunterXHunter 99
  • a long form series at the cost of pacing ala HunterXHunter 2011
I'd say it should be a long form series at the cost of pacing, but it needs to take a break and the production pipeline needs to be restructured so that we get quality and not QUALITY.

Of course, neither of these hypotheticals are probably going to happen, especially when Toei is also doing World Trigger which is your generic harem bullshit that probably gets more money per episode than One Piece and there's still plenty of QUALITY in it.

Yeah, now that's a good point. Akainu's reasoning is that if a single archaeologist got away that day, all the lives lost would've been in vain. His philosophy is that it's better for a thousand people to die than a million.

Look, I'm not saying I agree with his philosophy, but calling him an "asshole" just because your opinions differ is bizarre. He does what he believes is right, to save the most people.

What does it matter if he thinks he's right? From an objective standpoint we can say it's wrong to kill people just for researching history. Just from looking at Ohara, there is no standpoint from which you could say Akainu or the elder stars were in the right.

Metal B

If Doffy is still (barely) standing after Luffy goes all out, then I guarantee that his injury is going to bring him down in the end.
To compare it to another HxH moment,
Mereum vs Netero
comes to mind.
Good thing, that Luffy isn't Goku. Better get the Dwarf with the healing tears to have a fair battle! Even better let my son do it!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hoping in the next few chapters we see Doflamingo's eyes.
I do like the half-blind theory

Arabesque

especially when Toei is also doing World Trigger which is your generic harem bullshit

??????????????

What on earth are you on about? World Trigger is a battle sci-fi series. Are you confusing it with Nisekoi or something?

that probably gets more money per episode than One Piece and there's still plenty of QUALITY in it.

Aside from that being untrue (One Piece is the most successful manga of all time, and it is constantly rising in popularity year by year, so why would they put more money into another Jump series?) the issues with the poor quality on the anime Toei produces hinges more on their poor scheduling and other production issues. That and going to any length to cut corners on their long running shows doesn't do them any favours.

Squishy3

??????????????

What on earth are you on about? World Trigger is a battle sci-fi series. Are you confusing it with Nisekoi or something?
I just remember seeing some screenshot of a girl naked in who I assume to be the MC's bed from one of the latest episodes and wrote it off as harem

but, that aside,, we're in agreement that Toei's production pipeline needs to be completely restructured and they should take a break from One Piece to evaluate it and improve it for the sake of quality... but that's never going to happen.

It's going to be really funny if Pierrot comes back to Bleach after the manga finishes and it blows One Piece out of the water.

Arabesque

I just remember seeing some screenshot of a girl naked in who I assume to be the MC's bed from one of the latest episodes and wrote it off as harem

You sure it was World Trigger? Because I'm sure that never happens lol

The most skin any girl showed in WT was when one wore shorts.

but, that aside,, we're in agreement that Toei's production pipeline needs to be completely restructured and they should take a break from One Piece to evaluate it and improve it for the sake of quality... but that's never going to happen.

Yeah, that's what should happen.

Won't happen though since One Piece is one of the most successful series in Japan, and they have no incentive to stop doing what they are doing now :/

It's a shame since Toei are more than capable of doing good work, and they have no shortage of talented animators working there. The problem is that they don't get the chance to show what they have thanks to how awful the scheduling is at the studio.

It's going to be really funny if Pierrot comes back to Bleach after the manga finishes and it blows One Piece out of the water.

If Pierrot does wait until Bleach ends to animate the final arc in full, it will look better on average than the One Piece anime for sure.

It will also be paced far better, since they don't have to worry about getting caught up.

What does it matter if he thinks he's right? From an objective standpoint we can say it's wrong to kill people just for researching history. Just from looking at Ohara, there is no standpoint from which you could say Akainu or the elder stars were in the right.

There's no such thing as an objective standpoint in this matter. Look, this is way too high level for a manga thread, kind of off-topic and I know people are going to be doing strange looks, but to answer your point: what you're describing are the norms and cultural rules that we have decided in our society.

In the real world, people are in fact murdered for researching. Not for researching history -- as far as I know there are no ancient devastating weapons to search the history books for in our real world -- but for researching other things that can weaken the government.

In this scenario, in One Piece during Ohara, from the governments standpoint, they wanted to ensure that no one could ever remake an ancient weapon and potentially kill millions; the people of Marijore in particular no doubt. How you can say that their decision was "objectively wrong" is just ignorant. Seeing situations from other peoples position and thinking of their motives and their perspective is vital here; even if it's just a rather shallow fictional character, sure.

Again, this is way too high-level for GAF and we should really let this discussion go, but these are philosophical questions. It's important to keep in mind that people are shaped by many things; in particular the society in which they were born and the beliefs they were taught as children. And when you imply that we can all agree that it is "wrong", well, you must keep in mind that someone told you what is wrong to begin with, and that someone is your government and your society. There is never such a thing as objectively wrong in these matters, however what you're describing are part of the basic principles of norms and morale.

But yeah anyway, a lot of people wanted to call Akainu an asshole and that's alright. Personally I just don't see it that way.

e4E0Atq.gif

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I wonder how Oda keeps track of all the story lines / characters / their "current" whereabouts. I envision a literal school with specific rooms with specific characters and just whiteboards full of branching paths. Dude does not forget ANYTHING.

You can have issues with his pacing at times, but everything is foreshadowed for YEARS and just happens so naturally. That takes skill. Maybe he's just tossing red herrings everywhere as potential comeback hooks, but still.

I can imagine Oda as a "broad strokes" kind of guy. Listening to some editor interviews on that One Piece podcast documentary a while back they said Oda will usually come up with story beats in the middle of conversation. He knows where the story is going, but the minute details may come in bursts of inspiration.

GG-Duo

I wonder how Oda keeps track of all the story lines / characters / their "current" whereabouts. I envision a literal school with specific rooms with specific characters and just whiteboards full of branching paths. Dude does not forget ANYTHING.

You can have issues with his pacing at times, but everything is foreshadowed for YEARS and just happens so naturally. That takes skill. Maybe he's just tossing red herrings everywhere as potential comeback hooks, but still.

The Bakuman manga talked about this. Creators often read their old material to look for things and bring them up later, so that it becomes an exciting foreshadowing-fulfillment for the readers.

EDIT: oops you mentioned this.

The Bakuman manga talked about this. Creators often read their old material to look for things and bring them up later, so that it becomes an exciting foreshadowing-fulfillment for the readers.

EDIT: oops you mentioned this.

Unless you're Akira Toriyama who openly admits to not giving a shit even when he's forgotten

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Random question:

Ignoring things like the state of the anime industry, would you prefer that One Piece's animated adaption is either

• arcs broken up into a series of OVAs in the style of HunterXHunter 99
  • a long form series at the cost of pacing ala HunterXHunter 2011
I hope when One Piece is completed we get a new Anime series.

I hope when One Piece is completed we get a new Anime series.

Never gonna happen, ever. FMA was doable because it could be condensed into 50 or so episodes.

OP is going to need upwards of 700 to tell it's full story if you trim all the filler fat. Which wont happen. The quality we have is the highest quality of anime we're ever going to get of a OP series. That's just the way of the industry.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Good thing the strawhats never ran into doflamingo before the timeskip, they would have been wrecked.

Dude's a beast

Guys...
What happened to these guys?!
http://shonenbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CP0.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

They've been mentioned a bunch in the last few pages. There are a whole bunch of theories.

[quote="TheGreatDirector, post: 157660639"]They left the island immediately after they made their announcement. It was stated in the manga.[/QUOTE]

No? What chapter was that said in? I don't recall such a thing.

[quote="BatDan, post: 157624192"][url=http://kiwichenx33.tumblr.com/post/106182455730/since-2-3-years-my-theory-for-doflamingos-glasses]This is the gist of it. I know it's Tumblr but still[/url][/QUOTE]

The issue with that theory is that Doflamingo has a really powerful observation haki, no? So it doesn't make sense.

Lunar15

One of the weirdest mysteries to me is Saul being a D. Just felt really random.

EDIT: whoops, meant to add that into my last post.

Sauro said his whole family has the initial D, so there is/was several giants with that initial. Speaking of D, I'm still wondering who Luffy's mother is. I wonder if that's going to be a big deal, or if she's never even going to be mentioned in the manga.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We still don't know the FULL extent of D.
The most we know is that it means "Enemies of God", or rather the Celestial Dragons who consider themselves God. We've seen everyone that carries that initial stand up to the government in some way. Luffy, Ace, Roger, and Teach of course, being pirates. Dragon is the leader of the Revolutionary army. Saul stood in the way of Buster Call Battleships. Rouge stayed hidden to have Roger's baby. Even Garp isn't entirely loyal as he hid Ace away from the world, and the higher-ups consider him a "problem".
Law of course fighting back against Doflamingo, a "former" Celestial Dragon.

The popular theory is that D is connected to the Void Century. I imagine we'll learn more when we get to that point.

Hopefully it's not plagiarized like the DBZ OST was.

That was really upsetting... I liked his work in the Budokai games and what I heard on Kai, but to learn that he's been stealing for years... Just feels wrong.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Speaking of D, I'm still wondering who Luffy's mother is. I wonder if that's going to be a big deal, or if she's never even going to be mentioned in the manga.

I'm sure we'll learn more about her. It'll come when we learn more about Dragon, who's still largely a mystery.

I'm more disturbed by the fact Gol. D Roger looked exactly like luffy on that flashback, but they apparently don't have any connection at all.

(besides both being D).

I'm more disturbed by the fact Gol. D Roger looked exactly like luffy on that flashback, but they apparently don't have any connection at all.

(besides both being D).

One fan theory is that Luffy's mother is Rogers brother or niece. Of course there's no evidence or basis behind it whatsoever, but it would answer that concern, and it would also make Luffy and Ace biological cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom