• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Didn't use haki too...lol

Break again next week. Sigh.
There is no break next week. Where did you get that from?

Also, we got reaction shots from everyone BUT Robin and Barto this chapter. Which in typical One Piece fashion means they are traveling somewhere/up to something.

I'm pretty sure he can do Soru sans Gear 2nd now.

Yeah, probably considering this is New World. I feel like he hasn't been shown to do Soru-like speed without gear second or I've forgotten those parts. It would make sense he should though, considering Rayleigh probably taught him during the 2 years.

In any case, Doffy one on one soon. This is gonna be good.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It is many time stated, that DF alone do not make somebody extreme powerful. Many DF user through history got killed, because they thought the DF-power alone would give them the upper hand. The best DF-Users actually trained with there power, use them in a creative way or to extend there normal abilities. They are just tools like a sword, a gun or something else (only really fun). Characters like Zorro, Sanji, Mihark, Shanks, Garp and many other show, that you don't really need them. Luffy would be at the same place right now, even without his DF, it would just be a different story and he needed to fight differently (It also would make him less interesting, because he would just become another version of Garp.).

Sabo is also a good example - dude was a Monster before getting the Fire fruit now he is even better. 99% percent of Pirates would probably be still weak with the Gum Gum fruit but Luffy has the power and determination to make it as strong shown.

Edit:

Though while i say this - recent examples like Law and Mingo show that some DF are really OP.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Sabo is also a good example - dude was a Monster before getting the Fire fruit now he is even better. 99% percent of Pirates would probably be still weak with the Gum Gum fruit but Luffy has the power and determination to make it as strong shown.

Luffy was the implied weakest of the three right?

Kreed

One Piece 781

I think most people knew Oda wasn't killing Law in a flashback but I wasn't expecting Law to actually participate any further so that was a nice surprise. IMO, it would have been better if Law's attack had really finished Doflamingo off (yes I know he's technically dead) vs Doflamingo and Luffy still having to fight. At the very least, Oda could have let Luffy beat up Doflamingo and then let Law get the finishing blow as a big surprise.

But at the same time, we would have had to deal with "Law is dead" discussion for a couple more weeks, so I'm happy that's over and done with.

Luffy was the implied weakest of the three right?

Sort of, but it was mostly just implied that he was the youngest and thus hadn't had as much training.

One Piece 781

I think most people knew Oda wasn't killing Law in a flashback but I wasn't expecting Law to actually participate any further so that was a nice surprise. IMO, it would have been better if Law's attack had really finished Doflamingo off (yes I know he's technically dead) vs Doflamingo and Luffy still having to fight. At the very least, Oda could have let Luffy beat up Doflamingo and then let Law get the finishing blow as a big surprise.

But at the same time, we would have had to deal with "Law is dead" discussion for a couple more weeks, so I'm happy that's over and done with.

Law finishing off Doffy would have been really anti-climatic, imo.

And there never was a "Law is dead" discussion. Everyone everywhere agreed that he was still alive. It was a no-brainer.

cw_sasuke

One Piece 781

Law wanted to "kill" DoFla and since this is OP we knew it would happen because Oda doesnt kill the bad guys, Luffy is there so he can beat the shit outta DoFla without killing him. With Law likely being a Strawhat supporter in the future it would be a bad look if he actually killed someone.

I would have been fine with Law killing Dofla under different circumstances - but this is OP and Luffy is the main chara so it cant be helped.

Welfare

I know it's for the dramatic effect, but I think we're in for a really good fight if Luffy was able to stop a killing blow stomp with just his foot.

Also Trebol getting treated as the comic relief.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's for the dramatic effect, but I think we're in for a really good fight if Luffy was able to stop a killing blow stomp with just his foot.

Also Trebol getting treated as the comic relief.

Pretty much all of Donflomingos' followers were trump to Luffy/Zoro, except the Toy Girl.

cw_sasuke

Yeah Zoro and Luffy are the main damage dealers of a small crew - they are supposed to be Monsters just like the main Shanks Crew that consist only of a couple but very strong people like Beckman.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Zoro and Luffy are the main damage dealers of a small crew - they are supposed to be Monsters just like the main Shanks Crew that consist only of a couple but very strong people like Beckman.

Completely agree, I hope someone joins the crew who is near Zoro/Sanji's level eventually.

qazqaNii

Oh my god the last page... Was so awesome, lets hope luffy won't have much problem with him.

But damn Donflamingos DF is so OP, he can fly, heal, make a cage etc etc. yet he is scared of Kaidou, can't imagine wtf Kaidou can do then.

cw_sasuke

Oh my god the last page... Was so awesome, lets hope luffy won't have much problem with him.

But damn Donflamingos DF is so OP, he can fly, heal, make a cage etc etc. yet he is scared of Kaidou, can't imagine wtf Kaidou can do then.

Looking how his subordinates were obliterated i can see why he doesnt want any trouble with a Yonkou that wanted to attack the Whitebeard alliance head on. But i doubt he is really "scared", he is just smart enough to know that screwing him over would put an end to his ambitions and plans because the sheer size of Kaidous fleet and his DF drugged uber pirates.

And we should hope that Luffy has a bunch of problems with him...we are talking about DoFla - he will probably keep the strongest non-Admiral/Yonkou that Strawhats will for a while.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Jeeez, Doffy is OP. His strings can heal him now? No wonder he went untouched for so long.
Luffy is about to change that. He just activated Serious Luffy, he is screwed.

That last page is hype!

I want the 10th crewmate to be the barrier barrier fanboy

Nah he has his own crew. He likely becomes Luffy's first fleet ship or something and protects Fishman Island.

Not sure who a good 10th member would be. OP is going to continue for a while, so I could see them getting one more addition in the New World.

bjork

I wonder if the fight goes on long enough that the birdcage closes in and some Marine dude nails Doflamingo with a seastone bullet to stop him, but it kills him and they pin it on Luffy and Law.

Syntsui

I just can't comprehend how none of the absurdly powerful monsters on this island, from Sabo to Fujitora, can't get rid of this cage. Also, Zoro was supposed to cut through everything.

Nibel

That panel with Luffy and Doffy on the last page will be iconic, calling it. To me the best page Oda has drawn in weeks; the Zorro stuff was great but this here and the implication it has is just fantastic.

Damn this is one of the most bloody and violent fights in One Piece. Doflamingo is a master of his devil fruit being able to maintain the bird cage, move it closer, and still have time to fight and heal himself. The attack Law did might have put Luffy and Doflamingo on equal ground. I'm guessing Trebol won't contribute much to the fight other than berating Doflamingo for not acting as a king would.

varkuriru

I wonder if Luffy's power up will involve something akin to vulcanized rubber. Just because "vulcanized" has a sort cool sounding ring to it lol.

Lunar15

That panel with Luffy and Doffy on the last page will be iconic, calling it. To me the best page Oda has drawn in weeks; the Zorro stuff was great but this here and the implication it has is just fantastic.

I dunno, the build up to it wasn't as good as other "iconic" moments. In losing focus, I think Oda's ability to put out those "iconic" pages also diminished.

Everything is still good, it's just that each individual moment means a bit less when his pacing is all over the place and there's 500 billion characters doing things.

Not to mention, this was what, the third Law death fakeout?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just remember that a Devil Fruit's power doesn't come from raw strength, but from creativity. The more creative a person is, the more dangerous they can be with their Devil Fruit.

Doflamingo's String String Fruit is a Paramecia, but he handles it like a Logia. A lesser person would just use the puppet function or razor string. But Doffy found all sorts of uses, body doubles, the Bird Cage, internal healing. All this making him a dangerous force to reckon with.

Luffy is similar. He went beyond simply stretching his arms and legs, he can speed up his blood flow to go faster, he can inflate his bones for a strength boost, the Gum Gum UFO was probably the most creative post-timeskip move yet (hopefully the fight with Doflamingo brings out more insane attacks)

Of course, Haki is there to equalize everything. Otherwise, Logia users would rule the world.

Nightbird

My thoughts as well.

I've been thinking "woah, thats epic" when seeing this.

daveo42

Banned
Not a bad chapter, but things quickly ramped up at the end. Law is pretty much done for pouring everything into the last few attacks and that massive room. DF is even more broken with his ability, but as BatDan say above, even a shitty devil's fruit power can be made insanely awesome based on the creativity and ingenuity of the user.

That last page though...
tumblr_inline_nljiw5eNpw1sggbtc_500.jpg

Haven't watched the anime in such a long time because it's so shit. Do they still even play these tracks? When I was watching the beginning of Dressrosa, I don't remember ever hearing these or even in Punk Hazard.

From the clips of the anime I catch, they do still use them

Kreed

And there never was a "Law is dead" discussion. Everyone everywhere agreed that he was still alive. It was a no-brainer.

Might want to go back a few pages.

Law wanted to "kill" DoFla and since this is OP we knew it would happen because Oda doesnt kill the bad guys, Luffy is there so he can beat the shit outta DoFla without killing him. With Law likely being a Strawhat supporter in the future it would be a bad look if he actually killed someone.

I would have been fine with Law killing Dofla under different circumstances - but this is OP and Luffy is the main chara so it cant be helped.

I know how One Piece works by now and the "rules/tropes" Oda has set up for the characters (Luffy has to beat the main bad guy in every arc, etc...). I'm just saying it would have been more entertaining IMO if he had done something different (ex: killing Ace minus creating/retconning Sabo to fill in the gap he created in his story by killing Ace).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom