• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely forgot about that Aokiji scene, and I just reread the arc a month ago!

I wonder what's up with that.

Just watched the scene where Pica speaks for the first time.

I don't think it's possible to truly be prepared for it.

There's really not. In a way, I'm glad the fight dragged on that long so Toei can milk that voice for all it's worth. Too funny.

Grexeno

Seriously, reading the manga you imagine his voice. Now imagine that about 70 octaves higher and you're still about 80 octaves below what it actually is.

Eh, it's semantics. Gear 2 and 3 were ass pulls, but they're also two of the most memorable moments in the series for me.

There was no build up, no reasonable explanation that they'd just show up then and there. But they did, and they were great, and it worked. Luffy just pulls stuff out of his ass.

Did you forget the part on the sea train where Luffy hinted twice that he had a "new trick" he wanted to try at Enies Lobby?

It's something where a first-time reader would disregard it, but that's still foreshadowing.

woopWOOP

Latest chapter's ending just made me laugh. Yup, it's a shonen alright!

Gonna bust a gut if his hair changes colour

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Full body haki sure would be a waste. We already saw Vergo pull that trick and get one-shotted. It'll be something new, for sure.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It will be something only Luffy can achieve because of his DF and body,Full Body Haki is way too general and wouldnt do him any good against DoFla.

hunnies28

In the chapter we see Doffy praising Luffy's speed (and also lack of power), then Luffy goes G3 and Doffy says he is open for attacks. Has G2 and G3 been used at the same time before? If not, that's my guess for G4.

Also: Jet Red Grizzly Magnum hype!

Grexeno

In the chapter we see Doffy praising Luffy's speed (and also lack of power), then Luffy goes G3 and Doffy says he is open for attacks. Has G2 and G3 been used at the same time before? If not, that's my guess for G4.

Yes, he uses G2 and G3 all the time together. They were first used together against Moriah.

It was used once against Moria, though he basically just rammed him at gear 2 speed while using gear 3. I'd rather have something more creative, especially since the Gear 3 weakness was that it was unwieldy and thus slower and harder to hit with. Based on this chapter, Luffy hasn't overcome that, so I feel like doing gear 2 and gear 3 together in any way more sophisticated than what he did against Moria still shouldn't work

Nocebo

It was used once against Moria, though he basically just rammed him at gear 2 speed while using gear 3. I'd rather have something more creative, especially since the Gear 3 weakness was that it was unwieldy and thus slower and harder to hit with. Based on this chapter, Luffy hasn't overcome that, so I feel like doing gear 2 and gear 3 together in any way more sophisticated than what he did against Moria still shouldn't work
He uses them together all the time. Unless it only looks that way.

Jigolo

Do you think Oda will take the HxH route and
have Luffy go into a Gon type of transformation?

Uhh in the one piece universe that would be Vergo mode, haha

And no, it clashes way too hard with the style. muscleman luffy will look so wrong.

Nibel

Buddy of mine came up with the theory that Luffy will turn all black; I can see this working, but Oda will probably have something more creative in mind than combining previous Gears.

Jigolo

Buddy of mine came up with the theory that Luffy will turn all black; I can see this working, but Oda will probably have something more creative in mind than combining previous Gears.

All black as in armament haki around his whole body or something entirely different?

Jigolo

Gear 4th will be vulcanization, at this form his body becomes harder and tougher similar to Gear 3rd; but without getting encumbered by his huge limbs.
The downside is that Luffy can no longer stretch on Gear 4th, so he can only use close range attacks and no longer able to store potential energy for attacks like Bazooka and Bullet

Someone posted this theory on reddit. Doesn't seem to far fetched and actually aounds pretty good to me.

EDIT: Yeah, Nibel I see where your friend would think Luffy would turn all black. It matches well with the vulcanized rubber theory. He'll turn all black then shed it off once the effect has worn off.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I could see Luffy having developed a form similar to Nightmare Luffy, if Gear 4 isn't the response to his loss to Akainu.

...actually, maybe you just gave some credence to the vulcanization idea. Luffy's the type who would develop a move just to cover his past loss. Gear 4 could make him fire/magmaproof.

That's the thing, though. There isn't any more mass. There's only the air he blew inside. It's like hitting someone with a deflated balloon and then an inflated balloon. Hell, he literally calls it Bone Balloon.
He's inflating bones though, which is hard as hell.

First, that would be impossible, secondly, how is Luffy even inflating that much air with just his breath?

Luffy Sucks up enough air to propel himself into the air and fly at will?

Too much science in something not meant to follow the rules of reality. Oda likes for things to make sense in the OP world. Gear 3 makes enough sense. He makes parts of his body "giant limbs".

Back to Gear 4. Vulcanization and Shape manipulation seem to be the strongest theories. I personally think it's going to be something with his muscles as well, including his brain.

Uhh in the one piece universe that would be Vergo mode, haha

And no, it clashes way too hard with the style. muscleman luffy will look so wrong.

Implying Gon looked good in that transformation.
(i'm still in awe of that, and the toriko-like "i'm gonna beat you with my severed arm"

OT, I love the vulcanization theory. Would probably set an intense fight between him and DD.

bjork

He's gonna turn super skinny and run between the bars of the birdcage. Doflamingo follows and gets cut to death by his own trap, then it dissipates as he dies.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Which would be okay in my book. I've been curious to find out more about the training years anyway. And about Rayleigh.

I'm guessing if the Strawhats go to Wano country or whatever we may get the flashback on Zoro's training and see how he lost that eye.

NastyBook

I bet most of next chapter has nothing to do with Luffy vs. Doflamingo, lol
Wouldn't be surprised. Oda seems to have this uncanny ability to start a fight between characters and then decide it's time for someone's backstory, or a town's backstory, or the backstory's backstory. Dude should just write fucking novels, because his pacing is on par with those.

Wouldn't be surprised. Oda seems to have this uncanny ability to start a fight between characters and then decide it's time for someone's backstory, or a town's backstory, or the backstory's backstory. Dude should just write fucking novels, because his pacing is on par with those.

The novel comparison doesn't really make sense since of course novels can have all kinds of pacing, but anyway, I think One Piece has really good pacing. The reason why you guys have an issue with it is probably because of the one-two weeks wait between each chapter. When you're sitting there with a book, not having to wait for chapters and reading through the pacing feels really fast.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The novel comparison doesn't really make sense since of course novels can have all kinds of pacing, but anyway, I think One Piece has really good pacing. The reason why you guys have an issue with it is probably because of the one-two weeks wait between each chapter. When you're sitting there with a book, not having to wait for chapters and reading through the pacing feels really fast.

Exactly this.
Most people in Japan just wait for the collected Volumes rather than invest in a Jump subscription (mostly because all they read is One Piece, and they don't want to get a weekly phone book sized magazine just for one 20 page story).
When reading in 8-10 chapter chunks, it feels well-paced.

I never wanted Gear 4 to be anything Haki related but the more I think about Luffy's pose in that last panel the more I think he's just gonna bite his arm, stretch the skin, and make hardened Haki scythes like he's fuckin Daz Bones.

I should probably just give up on trying to guess because none of us are gonna be right

They'll definitely be happy that it's all over, but I don't know. Most of them were living in blissful ignorance before all this, and now not only is that over, but so many have died and homes gotten destroyed etc.

Dressrosa will be a-okay once Law performs the immortality surgery on
Mansherry

He's gonna turn super skinny and run between the bars of the birdcage. Doflamingo follows and gets cut to death by his own trap, then it dissipates as he dies.

image.php

smurfx

get some go again
Thinking gear 4 will be a mixture of 2 and 3 with full body haki.

So bigger, faster, harder luffy.
my guess is that he will gather a huge amount of air and compress it to its limit inside of his body. this will make him much faster and allow him to instantly throw out gear 3 type punches and kicks without having to gather the air and let his opponent know it's coming. doflamingo has been evading his gear 3 moves because it's too slow. throw in some hardening and luffy will become much deadlier. luffy's body steams up with gear 2 already but would it get even hotter with more? maybe he will also enhance all of his moves with fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom