• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well, no, it's like the others where his plot is totally foiled, now it's just threatening everyone with some kind of super weapon.

With Crocodile, his plan was fully succeeding up until the point where he was defeated.

No, his plan in this case was to take control of Alabasta by having the revolutionaries and the royal army fight. This was 100% successful until luffy beat him up, causing it to rain. The bomb was extra, but he still gets what he wants. The bomb not exploding doesn't cause his plans to be foiled, it was just yet another contingency in his plan.

Like I said, the differences are incredibly slight, I just feel Oda loaded so much emotional resonance into the outcome of that fight, and not much has matched it.
Luffy defeating Croc didn't make it rain; Hina capturing the dance powder ship did that. It happening at the same time Croc was defeated was just a thematic coincedence. Even if Luffy failed to defeat Crocodile, the rain would've still come and the rebellion would've stopped.

All of Croc's contingency plans fail thanks to the combined interferences of Robin, Luffy and Smoker:

Robin
  • Didn't kill Igaram which allowed him to save the little boy who saw Mr. 2. This then allowed the rebellion to end.
  • Didn't kill Pell which allowed him to do his suicide move with the bomb
  • Allowed Mr. Prince to save everyone in Rain Dinners
  • Didn't kill Tashigi which allowed her to help the Strawhats
  • Saved Luffy which allowed him to get two more chances to defeat Croc
  • Betrayed Croc about the poneglyph which forced him resort to his plan B of taking over the kingdom and spending the next 50 years searching for Pluton

Luffy:
  • Saved Smoker which allowed him to call in Marine reinforcements
  • Got Vivi to her destination so she could warn people
  • Defeated Crocodile so he couldn't escape

Smoker
  • Called in Hina to stop the rain machine and capture Baroque Works
  • Left Tashigi to help the Strawhats which allowed Luffy to get to his final match with Croc.

So like a lot of arcs, Luffy fighting the big bad isn't directly linked to saving the country at hand. Instead it's a series of actions by various allies that thwart the enemy's plans, just like what's happening in Dressrosa now. Which makes sense since the arc is a homage to Alabasta.

If anything, it was Robin who saved everyone in Alabasta, not Luffy. Because had she not been betraying him every step of the way, his plan would've went off without a hitch, regardless of what Luffy or anyone else did.

Yeah, that's always been a bullshit claim to me. Even physically, Usopp is stronger then Nami at least. I don't think Nami has ever been anything but the weakest member. Usopp is probably the second weakest, but Brook may be even weaker then him since he never does anything and it's hard to tell.

I think Brook is above Usopp, and I also think Chopper is below Usopp. From weakest to strongest: Nami, Chopper, Usopp, Brook. Usopp has gotten some serious skills after the timeskip. Still a massive coward, no doubt, but a damn skilled one.

What, no it hasnt . Oda has always compared Sanji and Zoro, going back to Berati.

Zoro almost always gets the second strongest opponent in arcs and Sanji the third strongest. In Thriller Bark it was established how far ahead Zoro was, and that only kept going in following arcs. After the timeskip, Zoro was implied to be the second-strongest Straw Hat, and during most of Fishman Island, he was even implied to be THE strongest Straw Hat; causing massive damage to Hody underwater like it was nothing, and implying he would've been stronger than Luffy, had Luffy not mastered conqueror's haki. Zoro is seen as the fighter of the Straw Hat crew. It's his job to be the best at it. Guarding the ship, protecting the crew. Even all the way back in Whiskey Peak, Zoro was the one protecting the whole crew.

Sanji is strong and all, but he wouldn't stand a chance against Zoro.

"Mr Prince" Sanji is best Sanji tbh. In Water7/Ennies Lobby he really shined, both by being a massive powerhouse and by acting under the scenes (after all, he allowed them to escape, the merry was surrounded and would have been difficult to avoid the shots from the marine warships)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think Brook is above Usopp, and I also think Chopper is below Usopp. From weakest to strongest: Nami, Chopper, Usopp, Brook. Usopp has gotten some serious skills after the timeskip. Still a massive coward, no doubt, but a damn skilled one.

Zoro almost always gets the second strongest opponent in arcs and Sanji the third strongest. In Thriller Bark it was established how far ahead Zoro was, and that only kept going in following arcs. After the timeskip, Zoro was implied to be the second-strongest Straw Hat, and during most of Fishman Island, he was even implied to be THE strongest Straw Hat; causing massive damage to Hody underwater like it was nothing, and implying he would've been stronger than Luffy, had Luffy not mastered conqueror's haki. Zoro is seen as the fighter of the Straw Hat crew. It's his job to be the best at it. Guarding the ship, protecting the crew. Even all the way back in Whiskey Peak, Zoro was the one protecting the whole crew.

Sanji is strong and all, but he wouldn't stand a chance against Zoro.
Zoro = strength and endurance, Sanji = strength, skill, and wit.

Zoro also does nothing but fight, where Sanji acts as the chef of the crew. Don't forget that Sanji's true fighting specialty - dual knife wielding - is something he refuses to use.

They have totally different specialties. In a one on one fight Zoro might objectively win, but Sanji is the kind of guy to evaluate the situation and use the environment to his advantage. Key examples (although not related to battles): Boarding the sea train alone, opening the gate in Enies Lobby when nobody was paying attention.

Sanji was also the first person we see to break Tekkai, which was an awesome moment. He's not the most powerful, but he's still amazingly strong.

I'm not saying Sanji is better than Zoro, or that Zoro isn't cool, but you're selling him a bit short.

Edit: Admittedly, he's been a goob since the timeskip, even though he can use Geppou and light himself on fire now. He did inadvertently recruit Viola to Luffy's side in Dressrosa, though.

Sanji has done pretty much nothing in the timeskip except get a life threatening nosebleed and get his ass beaten by Virgo.

We haven't even seen him in over a year.
Sanji got character assassinated like no other after the timeskip.
I'm betting he's the star of the upcoming Big Mom/Wano Country arc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
As my One Piece re-watch continues, I just finished Punk Hazard. In every other scene where something crazy/scary is happening, Nami is almost always draped over Usopp. Weird.

I'm betting he's the star of the upcoming Big Mom/Wano Country arc.

Zoro is totally playing a major role in the Wano arc too, considering it's a country of strong swordsmen, he has one of their swords, and he'll probably leave that country with +1 new sword (to illustrate the journey is at 2/3).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
As my One Piece re-watch continues, I just finished Punk Hazard. In every other scene where something crazy/scary is happening, Nami is almost always draped over Usopp. Weird.
These two definitely have a pairing thing going on, despite Oda claiming that he doesn't care about that kind of thing. And I say this as someone who despises pairing in shonen.

SolVanderlyn

They have a pairing like Robin and Zoro have a pairing, except ussopp and nami are more "brother sister"
I can see this, but there's been hints that it could develop into something more, too. Not that they were written intentionally by Oda, or will be followed up.

We're gonna cut back to Sanji and find out that he single-handedly defeated Big Mom. Just ya'll wait.
Kind of want this to happen, then have a flashback to what happened concurrent to Dressrosa.

Semi off-topic, but this thread makes me want to pick up Unlimited World Red. Has anyone played it? Is it good on Vita, or is the co-op on PS3 worth loss of portability?

I can see this, but there's been hints that it could develop into something more, too. Not that they were written intentionally by Oda, or will be followed up.

There will be no romances between any straw hats, if that's what you're going at. Don't know what hints you're referring to.

And on the semi off-topic question; yeah, I played Unlimited World Red on PS3. Haven't tried it on Vita though.

There will be no romances between any straw hats, if that's what you're going at. Don't know what hints you're referring to.

And on the semi off-topic question; yeah, I played Unlimited World Red on PS3. Haven't tried it on Vita though.
Weren't you were of the ones that said there wouldn't be a Gears 4 as it's unnecessary?

You don't know what Oda is going to write man, just saying. You should start adding "IMO" after phrases like that. If One Piece continues into another timeskip, it would start to be weird for him NOT to be interested in finding a partner or for a least some of his crew to have developed those relationships on there adventures.

Having said that, I don't see evidence of any pairing in the crew tbh.

nami/Usopp are both just weak, so they are together a lot.

Zoro and Robin are just mature and level headed, but nothing has really been hinted. In fact Chopper clings to Zoro more for protection.

Boa loves Luffy, but it's completely one-sided as Luffy isn't interested in anything that could slow down his adventure.

Sanji loves all beautiful women...

Weren't you were of the ones that said there wouldn't be a Gears 4 as it's unnecessary?

You don't know what Oda is going to write man, just saying. You should start adding "IMO" after phrases like that. If One Piece continues into another timeskip, it would start to be weird for him NOT to be interested in finding a partner or for a least some of his crew to have developed those relationships on there adventures.

What the actual fuck? No idea why you're so offensive, but first of all no, I did not say that there wouldn't be a Gear 4, however I said that there was no evidence at the time that there would be one. Furthermore, Oda has said that there won't be any romances between the straw hats. This is not my opinion, therefor I won't say "imo", so please don't lecture me on that, because I always use the word imo when it is, in fact, imo. And it makes sense too, romances between the straw hats would break the atmosphere that Oda has built.

I'd say in the final chapters, with a timeskip, we could see some on them having their families (and i'd love to see Zoro and Robin together, tbh). Before that it could be really awkward...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Neither Nami or Chopper are cowards - not everyone is as nuts as Zoro or Luffy and will jump in every fight against every enemy. Nami isnt primary a fighter so her avoiding battles against stronger foes doesnt mean she is a coward. Same for Usopp - if shits need to be done he will do it, they just have different roles in the crew.

Just my 2 cents.

Usopp/Nami/Chopper were originally the "weak trio." They were not cowards exactly they just knew that they couldn't survive the sort of things that the other crew were involved in. They are not the weak trio any more but they still sort of the rear guard.

I would not say that Brook is either weak or a coward. Mainly he just has an odd sense of humour and while Robin might make dark jokes Brook will joke more about being afraid.

I would say that Luffy and Zoro are currently admiral level but I wouldn't put Sanji more than vice admiral level. Franky and Brook I would say are definitely no less than captain level. Franky in particular has shown that he is currently not too far behind Sanji as being one of the strongest front line fighters and has been shown to be able to deal with pacifistas like the original strong trio. Robin still hasn't shown as power increase as chest size increase but was probably around captain level before the skip.

Until Luffy and Zoro can change the geography and climate of an island, then we can assume that they might be admiral level.

Yeah, I'd say Luffy and Zoro are definitely not admiral level yet, although with Gear 4 coming up I don't know how much stronger that'll make Luffy. The admirals are some of the strongest characters in the manga.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
What the actual fuck? No idea why you're so offensive, but first of all no, I did not say that there wouldn't be a Gear 4, however I said that there was no evidence at the time that there would be one. Furthermore, Oda has said that there won't be any romances between the straw hats. This is not my opinion, therefor I won't say "imo", so please don't lecture me on that, because I always use the word imo when it is, in fact, imo. And it makes sense too, romances between the straw hats would break the atmosphere that Oda has built.
You need to chill.

Neither Nami or Chopper are cowards - not everyone is as nuts as Zoro or Luffy and will jump in every fight against every enemy. Nami isnt primary a fighter so her avoiding battles against stronger foes doesnt mean she is a coward. Same for Usopp - if shits need to be done he will do it, they just have different roles in the crew.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. Nami for me was never a coward, after all she went to face Kalifa and DoubleFinger by herself. Lately the only thing that's bothered me (that i can remember) is the Giolla battle, though i understand it was brook's moment in this arc, and they played with the meaning of art and such. Nami would've owned her any day, chopper too.

Yeah, I'd say Luffy and Zoro are definitely not admiral level yet, although with Gear 4 coming up I don't know how much stronger that'll make Luffy. The admirals are some of the strongest characters in the manga.

The Yonko are stronger than admirals. Akainu wasn't able to fight evenly with the dying Whitebeard at all while Luffy could with the retired admiral in the film after the skip. People are talking about the strawhats going to fight a Yonko directly after Dressrosa. There is no way that is even remotely possible unless the crew had at least one character able to beat an admiral. The world power balance is all the admirals and the warlords are able to stand up to one power in the new world.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Team Coward=Nami, Chopper, Usopp, Brook. They will throw down when needed and can conquer their fear but they realize that there is a reason to be afraid.

Team Fearless=Robin, Luffy, Zoro. These people by and large do not recognize danger.

Franky and Sanji are neither.

The Yonko are stronger than admirals. Akainu wasn't able to fight evenly with the dying Whitebeard at all while Luffy could with the retired admiral in the film after the skip. People are talking about the strawhats going to fight a Yonko directly after Dressrosa. There is no way that is even remotely possible unless the crew had at least one character able to beat an admiral. The world power balance is all the admirals and the warlords are able to stand up to one power in the new world.

Hmm... There's truth behind that. I don't know. All the admirals seem really powerful, and even Doflamingo seemed to be scared of former admiral Kuzan at the end of the Punk Hazard arc. I just can't see any of the straw hats single-handedly taking out a guy like Kizaru, although again gear 4 is coming up.

Hmm... There's truth behind that. I don't know. All the admirals seem really powerful, and even Doflamingo seemed to be scared of former admiral Kuzan at the end of the Punk Hazard arc. I just can't see any of the straw hats single-handedly taking out a guy like Kizaru, although again gear 4 is coming up.

In a perfect reality, we'll have a Sanji vs Kizaru, where the cook actually wins. :(

I really want that to happen.

Borsalino uses both kicks and sword moves. I think that Oda might possibly be messing with us. His abilities seem sort of unbeatable with him being able to move at light speed and all that but that didn't help Enel.

cw_sasuke

At the end those are just titles and not every Yonkou or Admiral is as strong as the other. Whitebeard was a very special case Oda made it clear that no one could stand up to him under normal conditions (hell nearly dead WB was enough to make Teach piss himself). Same goes for Akainu, he likely gotten even stronger and post time skip and was the most dangerous Marine during the war being able to toy around with everyone and even going for WB. Another obvious example is Garp who was on another level than the other VA.

I dont think the power gap between Current Luffy and Admirals/Yonkous is that big anyway - the big issue when challenging a Yonkou is that you dont only face the Captain but his own Fleet and Divisions - so getting to a point where a Yonkou fight even possible is difficult since they are protected by their Division Captains etc. - Kaidou was probably hoping to take out WB for a while but couldnt really touch him in his territories.

We dont even know the current abilities of Yonkos, i would place their overall importance and strength higher because they are directly tied to Luffy goal to become PK - so overthrowing one of them while beating a Admiral doesnt seem as big of a goal. Looking forward to his next encounter with Coby though - Garp/Roger relationship revival xD

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I agree. Nami for me was never a coward, after all she went to face Kalifa and DoubleFinger by herself. Lately the only thing that's bothered me (that i can remember) is the Giolla battle, though i understand it was brook's moment in this arc, and they played with the meaning of art and such. Nami would've owned her any day, chopper too.
Nami was a coward until Skypeia. She had a lot of character development in that arc.

And Nami was doing really well against Giolla off camera, far better than Chopper or Brook were doing. It's just that Giolla had a broken devil fruit power which you needed to overpower asap. But Nami's fighting style is more about playing a wait and see with opponents so she was at a disadvantage.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder who's going to have the air logia. doesn't seem like big mama or kaidou might have it. it would be a waste for one of their crew members to have it. maybe the new admiral has it.

To the discussions above, keep in mind that Whitebeard was referred to as no less than the world's strongest man. During the war though he was old, sick and got backstabbed before he managed to make his first attack, but even still Sengoku called him that.

I just want to see a fish zoan.

tumblr_nlrunlR5lI1u8kenho3_250.gif

;b

cw_sasuke

To the discussions above, keep in mind that Whitebeard was referred to as no less than the world's strongest man. During the war though he was old, sick and got backstabbed before he managed to make his first attack, but even still Sengoku called him that.

The funny thing with WB is even though he got "backstabbed" no one was able to hit him from the back - man he died standing. I will be honest, i know OP will be going on for a couple of more years but it will be tough for me personally to somehow die in a more bad ass way than WB did. The execution of his last battle was just perfect.

Even near dead you knew that he was just one motion away from being able to just oneshot another strong enemy.

This will forever be one of my favorite page in the Manga.

I'm aware of what Oda said, I'm stating that none of us knows what he will write, or how he will end the show, or if a crew will die, change there mind and leave, etc...

Secondly, that posts was not aggressive in any way shape or form, when I posted it, and was certainly not attacking you. The main focus was simply to state, even with the author's previous posts, we can always be surprised. Everyone here loves OP, we can all have various opinions.

We dont even know the current abilities of Yonkos, i would place their overall importance and strength higher because they are directly tied to Luffy goal to become PK - so overthrowing one of them while beating a Admiral doesnt seem as big of a goal. Looking forward to his next encounter with Coby though - Garp/Roger relationship revival xD

The ranks do not tell you exactly how strong characters are but they as good a way of any at measuring the strength of characters since we have seen a lot of action with the marines.

It's true that we don't know the abilities of all the Yonko. But I think that they must have many people under them that are able to fight with admirals. And those people either have to fear or respect the boss enough to not just replace them. We do know something about Blackbeard and Shanks. We don't know anything at all about the new third admiral other than his name, even less than Big Mom or Kaido.

Well now Blackbeard is the strongest man in the world, Big Mom is the strongest woman in the world and Kaido is the strongest beast in the world.

The funny thing with WB is even though he got "backstabbed" no one was able to hit him from the back - man he died standing. I will be honest, i know OP will be going on for a couple of more years but it will be tough for me personally to somehow die in a more bad ass way than WB did. The execution of his last battle was just perfect.

Even near dead you knew that he was just one motion away from being able to just oneshot another strong enemy.

This will forever be one of my favorite page in the Manga.

:)

Yepp. Luffy's execution in Lougetown was another great "death" imo (although of course in the last second he didn't die). Not badass in the same way, but interesting in another sense.

cw_sasuke

The ranks do not tell you exactly how strong characters are but they as good a way of any at measuring the strength of characters since we have seen a lot of action with the marines.

It's true that we don't know the abilities of all the Yonko. But I think that they must have many people under them that are able to fight with admirals. And those people either have to fear or respect the boss enough to not just replace them. We do know something about Blackbeard and Shanks. We don't know anything at all about the new third admiral other than his name, even less than Big Mom or Kaido.

Well now Blackbeard is the strongest man in the world, Big Mom is the strongest woman in the world and Kaido is the strongest beast in the world.

Im just saying that its not as simple as Yonkou > Admiral. The power level of the Captain is tied to his Yonkou status but so is personality and ambition. Mihawk doesnt care about a fleet or expanding his influence in the New World but his power level probably could have allowed him to strive for PirateKing/Yonkou himself.

Blackbeard Pirates were quite frightened himself when they encountered Akainu pre-time skip shortly after the War when he had no problem fighting against a lackluster Sengoku earlier.

All im saying so far the Admirals havent shown a reason why anyone would doubt their power - for the most part of the Manga they couldnt be touched and Kizaru has yet to get really serious and was too bothered when encountering Rayleigh or Beckmann.

:)

Yepp. Luffy's execution in Lougetown was another great "death" imo (although of course in the last second he didn't die). Not badass in the same way, but interesting in another sense.

Heh yeah thats an iconic scene as well - this reminds me i need to re-read the manga again soon. Its been a while.

Blackbeard Pirates were quite frightened himself when they encountered Akainu pre-time skip shortly after the War when he had no problem fighting against a lackluster Sengoku earlier.

They were not scared of him at all. But Blackbeard is a sort of coward in that he always waits for the exact moment that is perfect for him before acting. You can say that Blackbeard is a coward unlike someone like Brook or Nami because he is really strong but he still always works slowly to get so many advantages that his enemy has no chance at all. Sengoku didn't lose to him and wasn't able to just overpower him but I'm pretty sure that Blackbeard didn't want that fight either and would have just run if he could.

We should doubt the admirals power because in the one piece world they have completely failed to deal with the pirates even after recruiting pirates to fight with them.

cw_sasuke

They were not scared of him at all. But Blackbeard is a sort of coward in that he always waits for the exact moment that is perfect for him before acting. You can say that Blackbeard is a coward unlike someone like Brook or Nami because he is really strong but he still always works slowly to get so many advantages that his enemy has no chance at all. Sengoku didn't lose to him and wasn't able to just overpower him but I'm pretty sure that Blackbeard didn't want that fight either and would have just run if he could.

We should doubt the admirals power because in the one piece world they have completely failed to deal with the pirates even after recruiting pirates to fight with them.

This argument doesnt just work for one side - how many Pirates were able to take out Admirals ? Why are Marines/WG or MJ still a thing if they are weaker ? Garp had countless battles with Gol.D Roger and other Prime Pirates and is just fine.
Also completely failed to deal with Pirates ? Thats not how i remember the Great War Arc.

I dont know if its true or not, so i will stop arguing for now but the Manga just hasnt shown any reason to think that Yonkous are stronger Admirals or vice versa. They are the strongest Pirates and Marine members thats all we know.

This argument doesnt just work for one side - how many Pirates were able to take out Admirals ? Why are Marines/WG or MJ still a thing if they are weaker ? Garp had countless battles with Gol.D Roger and other Prime Pirates and is just fine.
Also completely failed to deal with Pirates ? Thats not how i remember the Great War Arc.

I dont know if its true or not, so i will stop arguing for now but the Manga just hasnt shown any reason to think that Yonkous are stronger Admirals or vice versa. They are the strongest Pirates and Marine members thats all we know.

Most of Whitebeard's crew were not dealt with in the war and the events weakened the Marines also. Without Blackbeard it wouldn't have happened in the first place and he was responsible for defeating Whitebeard himself. And y'know, if Akainu is so strong then why didn't he fight Shanks himself when he put himself right in front of him? Surely that unbeatable admiral who believes in absolute justice wouldn't stop to take orders from a pirate.

The marines keep on going because they don't storm off the new world and pick fights with the strongest pirates and those pirates are more interested in keeping the others away from reaching one piece first than fighting marines.

cw_sasuke

Most of Whitebeard's crew were not dealt with in the war and the events weakened the Marines also. Without Blackbeard it wouldn't have happened in the first place and he was responsible for defeating Whitebeard himself. And y'know, if Akainu is so strong then why didn't he fight Shanks himself when he put himself right in front of him? Surely that unbeatable admiral who believes in absolute justice wouldn't stop to take orders from a pirate.

The marines keep on going because they don't storm off the new world and pick fights with the strongest pirates and those pirates are more interested in keeping the others away from reaching one piece first than fighting marines.

No, but he stopped when Sengoku ordered him to stop.

Also you are missing the point, im not arguing that Admirals or Akainu > everyone.

No, but he stopped when Sengoku ordered him to stop.

Also you are missing the point, im not arguing that Admirals or Akainu > everyone.

He stopped before then since he knew that he couldn't fight him on his own. The whole point of the war was to draw out one Yonko so they could defeat him by themselves and in that they were at the point of failing and were just being used by Blackbeard.

cw_sasuke

He stopped before then since he knew that he couldn't fight him on his own. The whole point of the war was to draw out one Yonko so they could defeat him by themselves and in that they were at the point of failing and were just being used by Blackbeard.

Semantics - of course he couldnt fight the Red Haired Pirates on his own after having just fought frigging Whitebeard and bunch of other people.

If thats your main proof that Akainu/Admirals are weaker than Yonkous ...well...lets just agree to disagree.

Semantics - of course he couldnt fight the Red Haired Pirates on his own after having just fought frigging Whitebeard and bunch of other people.

If thats your main proof that Akainu/Admirals are weaker than Yonkous ...well...lets just agree to disagree.

It's not really semantics. He was stopped just by shanks blocking his attack, then he didn't do anything which is very uncharacteristic since to that point he was like a wild animal attacking everyone. Borsalino thought to join the attack thinking that a 2v1 vs Shanks might work but stopped when one of his crew members confronted him and also decided that he didn't want any of that.

But the real thing that says admirals really are not all that compared to the best pirates in the new world is the world power structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom