• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kworn

Banned
I am so excited for this weeks reveal of gear 3rd.

Wednesday/Thursday cannot come quick enough!

...and double issue?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
At the end those are just titles and not every Yonkou or Admiral is as strong as the other. Whitebeard was a very special case Oda made it clear that no one could stand up to him under normal conditions (hell nearly dead WB was enough to make Teach piss himself). Same goes for Akainu, he likely gotten even stronger and post time skip and was the most dangerous Marine during the war being able to toy around with everyone and even going for WB. Another obvious example is Garp who was on another level than the other VA.

I dont think the power gap between Current Luffy and Admirals/Yonkous is that big anyway - the big issue when challenging a Yonkou is that you dont only face the Captain but his own Fleet and Divisions - so getting to a point where a Yonkou fight even possible is difficult since they are protected by their Division Captains etc. - Kaidou was probably hoping to take out WB for a while but couldnt really touch him in his territories.

We dont even know the current abilities of Yonkos, i would place their overall importance and strength higher because they are directly tied to Luffy goal to become PK - so overthrowing one of them while beating a Admiral doesnt seem as big of a goal. Looking forward to his next encounter with Coby though - Garp/Roger relationship revival xD
Garp is much stronger than the admirals (akainu included) Remember he basically said "Sengoku, hold me down or I will kill Akainu" like it was nothing to him. He was also known as the strongest marine and, like whitebeard, Rogers equal.

The only reason he hasn't been fleet commander for the past 25 years or so is because he doesn't want to be.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Garp is much stronger than the admirals (akainu included) Remember he basically said "want me to kill him (Akainu)?" like it was nothing.

The only reason he hasn't been fleet commander for the past 25 years or so is because he doesn't want to be.

I wouldn't exactly say that, there isn't a strict power level in one piece, more general levels. E.g Dark King Rayleigh fought evenly with Kizaru, despite being Rogers right hand man, and Kizaru simply being an Admiral, neither were out to kill but neither were dsplayed as significantly stronger than the other you but see that throughout the war, even Akainu managed to be able to continue fighting after a significant beat down from Whitebeard.

Garp is probably stronger than Akainu but i'd struggle to suggest he's significantly so.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Garp is much stronger than the admirals (akainu included) Remember he basically said "want me to kill him (Akainu)?" like it was nothing.

My point was a title is just a title and there are exceptions like Garp.

And no Garp isnt much stronger than the Admirals and even if he was we dont really know about it. Just because you scream you wanna kill someone in rage doesnt mean that you are actually able to it.

No one is much stronger than other Top Tiers at this point of this story - Jinbei vs. Ace or Akainu vs. Aokij proved how most battles at this level end - long drawn out fights were the characters with more luck or endurance stands at the end.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wouldn't exactly say that, there isn't a strict power level in one piece, more general levels. E.g Dark King Rayleigh fought evenly with Kizaru, despite being Rogers right hand man, and Kizaru simply being an Admiral, neither were out to kill but neither were dsplayed as significantly stronger than the other you but see that throughout the war, even Akainu managed to be able to continue fighting after a significant beat down from Whitebeard.

Garp is probably stronger than Akainu but i'd struggle to suggest he's significantly so.
I dunno, Oda has been pretty clear in establishing that Roger, Whitebeard, and Garp are beyond everyone else in the one piece universe, and fought each other to draws countless times.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dunno, Oda has been pretty clear in establishing that Roger, Whitebeard, and Garp are beyond everyone else in the one piece universe, and fought each other to draws countless times.

You are talking about Prime Roger, Garp and Whitebeard. Garp is still one of the strongest OP characters but time has passed, we havent seen him fight serious so just assuming that he is the strongest seems a bit naive.

And hell...he might be stronger ( wouldnt surprise me), but i doubt that he would be much stronger. OP just doesnt work like that, i also dont think that Roger was much stronger than anyone else. He was just strong enough to reach Raftel and fight off enemies/marine.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I wouldn't even say that, we don't even know the degree of Garp's and Rogers relationship. Roger clearly wasn't prime level the entire time, much like Luffy he obviously went through a power growth through his adventures, for all we know Garp could have been something like Smoker before the time skip, someone Roger could never quite deal with but wasn't immensely powerful in comparison to everyone else the entire time and they grew together.

I mean Garp and Sengoku were definitely implied to be around the same level, which is why they almost always come as pair and even fought Shiki together, so this assumption that Garp is significantly stronger than all other Marines doesn't really seem to be backed by all that much other than he fought Roger a lot.

Harmen

Now that there are only a few days left, this will be my definitive gear 4th bet (which I mentioned before):

Small Luffy. Basically him mastering the previous unwanted side effect of gear 3 and using it to his advantage (small and quick).

I would like this because it would not render his other gears useless and it would give him 3 enhanced forms with different advantages and caveats (leading to many new variation possibilities in future battles). Gear 2 and 3 complimented each other well in combat by opening disinct movesets (and possible combinations), instead of just being powerlevels (SS1 in DBZ became useless after SS2, for example).

I would be dissapointed if gear 4 is just a "every limb is gear 3" giant Luffy mode or some flaming/black haki gear 2, for example.

My point was a title is just a title and there are exceptions like Garp.

And no Garp isnt much stronger than the Admirals and even if he was we dont really know about it. Just because you scream you wanna kill someone in rage doesnt mean that you are actually able to it.

No one is much stronger than other Top Tiers at this point of this story - Jinbei vs. Ace or Akainu vs. Aokij proved how most battles at this level end - long drawn out fights were the characters with more luck or endurance stands at the end.

I agree that at this level it is difficult to just list the strongest in a set order based on events/bounties/status. There are many factors to who will top who in a 1v1 fight (environment, preparation/knowledge of someone's abilities, state of mind, special abilities like fruits/haki/cyborg stuff, fighting style, the ability to adapt, variation in movesets, luck, endurance etc. etc.).

But I think this has always been the case to a certain extent in OP (Luffy vs Crocodile for example).

Spinx

So we are definitely getting a chapter this week, right guys? Right?

Yes. CHO-CHOOOOOOOO

Now that there are only a few days left, this will be my definitive gear 4th bet (which I mentioned before):

Small Luffy. Basically him mastering the previous unwanted side effect of gear 3 and using it to his advantage (small and quick).

I would like this because it would not render his other gears useless and it would give him 3 enhanced forms with different advantages and caveats (leading to many new variation possibilities in future battles). Gear 2 and 3 complimented each other well in combat by opening disinct movesets (and possible combinations), instead of just being powerlevels (SS1 in DBZ became useless after SS2, for example).

I would be dissapointed if gear 4 is just a "every limb is gear 3" giant Luffy mode or some flaming/black haki gear 2, for example.

Rmhtvhh.png

How is getting smaller going to help him in this fight ? It's going to make his punches even weaker. I'm always wrong with predictions, but gear 4 is not going to be chibby Luffy. :D

Lunar15

Prediction 1: He coils his body parts into the shape of a spring, learned from his fights with Bellamy.

Prediction 2: He gets some kind of shockwave style attack by using haki and snapping his limbs.

Prediction 3: he sucks the air OUT of himself to become flatter, making him nearly impossible to hit and all of his attacks have sharpness.

Joke Prediction: He gives himself a conehead because he thought Don Chinjao was awesome.

Garp is much stronger than the admirals (akainu included) Remember he basically said "Sengoku, hold me down or I will kill Akainu" like it was nothing to him. He was also known as the strongest marine and, like whitebeard, Rogers equal.

I don't really want to join the power discussion, but I reeeeeeeally doubt old-man Garp could beat Akainu. I'd say he said that out of rage (and of course he has the same willpower as Luffy, who thought he could defeat the big-shots in that very same arc and got crushed).

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I don't really want to join the power discussion, but I reeeeeeeally doubt old-man Garp could beat Akainu. I'd say he said that out of rage (and of course he has the same willpower as Luffy, who thought he could defeat the big-shots in that very same arc and got crushed).
There's a distinct difference between Luffy's boasts and Garp's "I'm going to kill him". I'm not saying he'd beat Akainu, but he definitely wouldn't get crushed, considering that even though angry, I'm sure he has a wealth of experience to back up that confidence.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oda showed again and again that there isn't a really a structure of "these are more powerful than any others."

But it is kinda showing that a ill, beaten half to death and wounded Whitebeard almost crushed Akainu.
Shichibukai's are scared of other Yonkous

I think we all can assume that the Yonkous are all crazy strong.

When Luffy was about to use gear 3 he bite his thumb before the reveal, which makes sense. The last panel it looks like he is about to bite into his forarm... I don't know if that means anything. I can't think of anything else he could do to play off of his rubber power.

The only idea I had would be taking the mass of air from gear three and punching that air into his opponent. That idea can't really happen because it would basically be exploding his enemies in an MK style fatality. Awesome but not happening.

'Vulcanizing' himself seems about the only good suggestions right now.

Prediction 1: He coils his body parts into the shape of a spring, learned from his fights with Bellamy.

Prediction 2: He gets some kind of shockwave style attack by using haki and snapping his limbs.

Prediction 3: he sucks the air OUT of himself to become flatter, making him nearly impossible to hit and all of his attacks have sharpness.

Joke Prediction: He gives himself a conehead because he thought Don Chinjao was awesome.

my last prediction before Wednesday: almost all of those things

watch Gear 4 be some type of muscle memory state, where Luffy straight up apes other people's moves to see what sort of shit will stick for that particular situation, by reshaping the relevant body parts into analogues capable of using those moves... Ideo's super shoulder 'splosions, Chinjao's conehead, Elizabello's King Punch, Bellamy's springs, Gilly's long limbs, etc. are in the realm of possibility if Gear 4 lets him mold his rubber parts more directly.

'Vulcanizing' himself seems about the only good suggestions right now.

Vulcanizing feels about as unlikely to me now, as how likely it felt to everyone who was immediately convinced that was what Gear 2 was like ten years ago

pelicansurf

Maybe it's just "Rifle Mode". His limbs are constantly spinning a la Sanji when powering up his Diable Jambe and maybe even fire or whatever too, and everything hurts like hell. He can be way more jump-y/dodge-y/random (like the spring dude he just beat) and the average attack will have the potency of a rifle attack even at close range. Add Haki/G3 combos into the mix for the lulz. The negatives are pretty obvious as well.

You're welcome, Oda.

This is my prediction for G4. I'm really curious about it.

To add-on to the negatives, droopy and non-responsive limbs, which is pretty much game over if G4 doesn't "win".

Metal B

watch Gear 4 be some type of muscle memory state, where Luffy straight up apes other people's moves to see what sort of shit will stick for that particular situation, by reshaping the relevant body parts into analogues capable of using those moves... Ideo's super shoulder 'splosions, Chinjao's conehead, Elizabello's King Punch, Bellamy's springs, Gilly's long limbs, etc. are in the realm of possibility if Gear 4 lets him mold his rubber parts more directly.
Doesn't really sounds like a gum-power and isn't really creative in my opinion. Yes his family name is "Monkey", but it doesn't feels like something, Luffy would do. He is always himself, stealing other peoples moves could be seen as stealing their identity.

By the way i through a opponent, who eat a "Copy Copy Fruit" would be awesome . So i checked and this person already exits! He is called Chameleone! and from the 2012 One Piece Live-Action stage show. Also looks a little like Doflamingo. Kind of a waste for an interesting power ...

smurfx

get some go again
my prediction is that gear 4 is basically gear 2 and gear 3 combined. luffy will suck in a ton of air and compress it all inside his body. this will make his gear 2 state much faster and he will be able to throw out gear 3 punches instantly since he has all the air inside of him. if he adds armor to his attacks then he will be deadly. maybe his new finishing move is a gear 3 red hawk that looks almost exactly like ace's fire fist attack.

my prediction is that gear 4 is basically gear 2 and gear 3 combined. luffy will suck in a ton of air and compress it all inside his body. this will make his gear 2 state much faster and he will be able to throw out gear 3 punches instantly since he has all the air inside of him. if he adds armor to his attacks then he will be deadly. maybe his new finishing move is a gear 3 red hawk.
I was thinking that too, if he could go Gear 3 at will really fast, Luffy could end up with one of the most versatile DF in the world of One Piece. Fights could look crazy too, Luffy grabbing an enemy with stretched hands, and then smashing them with a giganto axe coming at Jet speed or something. Would need some crazy explanation though, and he still would be weak vs. swordsmen.

Apparently the English translator for One Piece knows what Gear 4th is. I'm not surprised since, from what I've heard, the guys at Viz get the chapters early from Shueisha.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Apparently the English translator for One Piece knows what Gear 4th is. I'm not surprised since, from what I've heard, the guys at Viz get the chapters early from Shueisha.

Yeah. I recall that he managed to confirm that Vergo's name is spelled Vergo, before the chapter that revealed the official spelling.
Makes sense since they're a simul-publish (disregarding leaks)

That reminds me. BatDan, I don't know how you can post chapter spoilers every time they're leaked.
I can't stand spoilers myself. Especially with all the crazy shit going on in this arc. lol

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I haven't been posting them lately. They usually go up when I go to bed, and by the time I wake up the chapter is out.

Majukun

keeping my expectations extremely low...gear second made sense,gear third already was something that amakes sense only if you don't think about it...don't really know what oda can invent for g4

Bravoexo

Would be cool if Luffy's Gear 4th is actually a totally different Devil Fruit. Which means, he in the timeskip, found a new DF fruit, ate it accidentally, but took like 6 months to contain it, much in the same way Blackbeard is able to use 2 DF powers... but this DF power totall compliments his original power and unlike BB, can use both at the same time.

pelicansurf

Would be cool if Luffy's Gear 4th is actually a totally different Devil Fruit. Which means, he in the timeskip, found a new DF fruit, ate it accidentally, but took like 6 months to contain it, much in the same way Blackbeard is able to use 2 DF powers... but this DF power totall compliments his original power and unlike BB, can use both at the same time.

This would be super fucked up.

and awesome

Nope. You can only eat one devil fruit. You die if you eat a second fruit.

EDIT: Also, I think Blackbeard can use both of his powers at the same time, no? He like showed it for a second when he first got it. We also don't know what he learned over the last two years.

Grexeno

That would be really, really awful.

q75xxiU.gif

No.

Tell that to Blackbeard. But he has an "unusual body".

Blackbeard didn't eat a second devil fruit though. He "took" it from a dead human. And we've been through this discussion many times; there are quite a bunch of theories on how he did it, but we'll have to wait for Oda to see what really happened.

Blackbeard didn't eat a second devil fruit though. He "took" it from a dead human. And we've been through this discussion many times; there are quite a bunch of theories on how he did it, but we'll have to wait for Oda to see what really happened.

It amounts to the same thing ultimately. It's pretty clear that whatever the reason BB can have 2 powers, it's something intrinsic to him given Marco said it was because of something unique about his body (which pretty much rules out the idea that it's because of another DF power). I'm still going with the parasitic twin theory, or something along those lines

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I kind of think the reason he covered up whitebeard was to make it look like he "took" it or orchestrated some kind of shenanigans, but all he really did was eat an apple he had in his pocket. Whitebeard's powers went right into it when Blackbeard killed him, ala Smiley. We have clear evidence that the fruit respawns the instant the previous owner dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom