• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be like the Lucci encounter, but will probably be interrupted at the end
by Kaidou
I really expect an intense fight, and i'd love to see doflamingo using his power to "control himself" when he's close to being defeated (an idea that was brought here, and was amazing).

If this was Fairy Tail, Gear 4th would roflstomp Doflamingo.

Doffy got hit with Law's nerf knife and still can easily fuck up Luffy
Gear 4 will probably put Luffy slightly under Doffy
Sabo will come and help Luffy fuck shit up
Sabo takes the win while Luffy saves Law

Saves Law?

Law's not even in the fight anymore.

If Gear 4 can't roflstomp Doflamingo, Luffy should just go back to training. He's going to have to fight opponents way stronger than Dofla, so he can't have such a hard time after everything that has happened to Dofla damage wise so far.

What happened to progressively getting stronger? Doffy seems to be one of the strongest warlords, and after that there aren't too many stronger enemies that we know of yet, although the ones we do know of are very powerful indeed. But if you look back at how Luffy got stronger with each arc, like with Crocodile for instance, of course he can still get stronger when fighting the next enemy.

And they do train "off-camera"; the whole crew. They've always been.

Bandini

Sabo's going to be busy dealing with whatever issue Kaola called him about... quite possibly a raging Burgess. This is Luffy's fight to win or lose.

daveo42

Banned
This arc took forever to get to the climax, I want a fight, dammit.

I think we are going to get one. Gear Four will give Luffy the edge he needs, but I think he's going to have to go all out to take down DF, and he's not going to fall so easily. Doflamingo is probably the most powerful warlord of the bunch and might even be on the level of a Yonkou. I'd say the closest to him would be Kuma, though we don't know how much has changed because he's more machine than man now.

That being said, my guess as to why DF is afraid of Kaidou isn't because of his power alone, but the fact that Kaidou has a massive crew because he's still a pirate. Doflamingo only has a handful of people who would be able to fight Kaido's commanders at an even level.

Lunar15

Kind of on a side topic, I think the thing that makes Crocodile my favorite fight compared to just about every other fight in the series is because the stakes were so well established. The war had already begun, and even though the strawhats had taken care of the rest of baroque works, it didn't matter because crocodile had a contingency plan for nearly everything.

Since then, all of the stakes leading up to luffy's fight with the antagonist have mostly been that the antagonist is holding everyone hostage with some kind of massive attack. Their plans are largely foiled by that point, so it's just a desperate move to silence witnesses.

With Skypiea, Enel's desire to go to the moon is largely non-threatening, the only reason he needs to be defeated is because his attacks are destroying all of the land. In Enies Lobby, The strawhats have already taken back Robin and the buster call is taking care of a lot of other things, it's really just escaping at that point. Hody: See Noah. Same with Doflamingo, his plans are largely foiled, he's just cleaning up the mess at this point.

The only one that kind of matched the feeling was Thriller Bark, since they absolutely had to defeat Moriah before the sun came up.

It's an incredibly slight difference in terms of set up, but it makes a big difference to me in terms of thematic resonance. By shifting the point of foiling a plan to the exact point of luffy defeating the enemy, it just feels so cathartic. I still like the fights that followed, it's just that I prefer Crocodile for this reason.

Kind of on a side topic, I think the thing that makes Crocodile my favorite fight compared to just about every other fight in the series is because the stakes were so well established. The war had already begun, and even though the strawhats had taken care of the rest of baroque works, it didn't matter because crocodile had a contingency plan for nearly everything.

Since then, all of the stakes leading up to luffy's fight with the antagonist have mostly been that the antagonist is holding everyone hostage with some kind of massive attack. Their plans are largely foiled by that point, so it's just a desperate move to silence witnesses.

With Skypiea, Enel's desire to go to the moon is largely non-threatening, the only reason he needs to be defeated is because his attacks are destroying all of the land. In Enies Lobby, The strawhats have already taken back Robin and the buster call is taking care of a lot of other things, it's really just escaping at that point. Hody: See Noah. Same with Doflamingo, his plans are largely foiled, he's just cleaning up the mess at this point.

The only one that kind of matched the feeling was Thriller Bark, since they absolutely had to defeat Moriah before the sun came up.

It's an incredibly slight difference in terms of set up, but it makes a big difference to me in terms of thematic resonance. By shifting the point of foiling a plan to the exact point of luffy defeating the enemy, it just feels so cathartic. I still like the fights that followed, it's just that I prefer Crocodile for this reason.
i'd argue Doflamingo is largely the same given the birdcage

This arc took forever to get to the climax, I want a fight, dammit.

We've been at the climax for the past 15 chapters.

Isn't that sort of the same thing with Crocodile? He had a timed bomb in place to blow up the capital city of Alabasta. But what was his endgame if that failed? Run away?

As an extra note, on my last comment, since I'm sure someone else will bring it up: Yes, there are a few people left on Dressrosa who could take Doflamingo out if Luffy lost. Those people are Sabo, Fujitora, and maybe Zoro if Luffy weakened Doflamingo enough. But that's still assuming they're able to get to the fight on time and beat him before the bird cage kills everyone. Sabo seems to heading to deal with a problem that isn't Doflamingo (most likely Burgess) so he probably wouldn't make it in time. Fujitora probably could, but he's clearly gambling on Luffy and prioritizing casualty reduction at the moment, so while he'd probably step in if he felt he had too, we don't know if it'd be too late if he did. Zoro isn't really injured, but he's been running across the island playing whack-a-mole with Pica, and launching a ton of attacks, so he's probably fatigued, plus we'd have to assume Zoro could find his way to the palace quickly enough with his sense of direction. Even if one of those 3 could stop Doflamingo before everyone died, there would still be massive casualties involved if Luffy lost

I think Doflamingo's trickery and versatility with his DF would give him the edge against Sabo. Zoro wouldn't stand a chance.

I don't see Doffy beating Fujitora in a straight up fight, but he's crafty enough that he might find a way to stall him or incapacitate him.
He probably planned to have Sugar turn him into a toy where his powers would be useless.

I think Doflamingo's trickery and versatility with his DF would give him the edge against Sabo. Zoro wouldn't stand a chance.

I don't see Doffy beating Fujitora in a straight up fight, but he's crafty enough that he might find a way to stall him or incapacitate him.
He probably planned to have Sugar turn him into a toy where his powers would be useless.

Zoro is only if Luffy did some major damage before he fell and Doflamingo was pretty weakened. And Sugar is down and out right now, so I don't think Doflamingo would count on her at the moment

Lunar15

i'd argue Doflamingo is largely the same given the birdcage

Well, no, it's like the others where his plot is totally foiled, now it's just threatening everyone with some kind of super weapon.

With Crocodile, his plan was fully succeeding up until the point where he was defeated.

Isn't that sort of the same thing with Crocodile? He had a timed bomb in place to blow up the capital city of Alabasta. But what was his endgame if that failed? Run away?

No, his plan in this case was to take control of Alabasta by having the revolutionaries and the royal army fight. This was 100% successful until luffy beat him up, causing it to rain. The bomb was extra, but he still gets what he wants. The bomb not exploding doesn't cause his plans to be foiled, it was just yet another contingency in his plan.

Like I said, the differences are incredibly slight, I just feel Oda loaded so much emotional resonance into the outcome of that fight, and not much has matched it.

Well, no, it's like the others where his plot is totally foiled, now it's just threatening everyone with some kind of super weapon.

With Crocodile, his plan was fully succeeding up until the point where he was defeated.

I feel like Doflamingo has the strength and cunning to rise again from this loss. And Crocodile's plan failing was far more due to the rain than Luffy himself. Not to mention Crocodile mainly wanted Alabasta because of pluton, but without Robin's cooperation that was already screwed. Plus The rebels getting clued in to crocodile's plot by the boy Mr 2. attacked was also a bigger factor than Luffy beating Croc up. By the point Luffy won, all that he achieved was allowing the Marines to take him in.

Also, Doflamingo's ultimate goal wasn't really Dressrosa. It was a convenient base of operations to him, nothing more

Fujitora probably could not beat Doflamingo with the bird cage up since it interferes with his ability to rain meteors. Sabo is kind of untested but we can assume he would fight really hard at least. Zoro you can't underestimate and say he would lose to him without question. He can take and deal an unbelievable amount of damage and is not really so far behind Luffy in terms of potential in this manga.

Yeh pretty much this is spot on for what the One Piece is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yZ5MtoD_Sw

Blown away :)

Oda said that One Piece is a physical object and not a metaphor or something. The way I like to imagine it is like the golden fleece from the story of the Argonauts. The hero Jason had to find it to prove that he had the right to be a king.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
One week till Gear 4! Hype.

Also Zoro is definitely closer to Sanji's level than Luffy's.

CCeqd3_WMAIPd5g.jpg

Gear 4th revealed.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
You think that Sanji could of dealt with Pica that easily?

I don't think kicking would have done anything to Pica, but Oda still hasn't shown us Sanji's new moves really.

But really, Oda has consistently and constantly played the equal competitive nature of Zoro and Sanji's relationship. Literally since they met.

I don't think kicking would have done anything to Pica, but Oda still hasn't shown us Sanji's new moves really.

But really, Oda has consistently and constantly played the equal competitive nature of Zoro and Sanji's relationship. Literally since they met.

It's a shame he's now considered a lot weaker than zoro. His post time skip fights have been really lackluster, like the vergo one...

Doflamingo is probably the most powerful warlord of the bunch and might even be on the level of a Yonkou..

He's probably the strongest warlord, although we don't know for sure just how powerful Kuma and Mihawk are these days. I think they're top contenders too, and we don't know who the new warlord is.

Also Zoro is definitely closer to Sanji's level than Luffy's.

No way. It's been well-established many times throughout the manga how much superior Zoro is to Sanji. He's definitely much closer to Luffy's level than Sanji's.

You think that Sanji could of dealt with Pica that easily?

Sanji wouldn't have stood a chance.

My order would be:

Luffy
Zoro
Sanji
Robin
Brook
Franky
Usopp
Chopper
Nami

Close, although switch Franky with Brook and you got it! :)

He's probably the strongest warlord, although we don't know for sure just how powerful Kuma and Mihawk are these days. I think they're top contenders too, and we don't know who the new warlord is.

No way. It's been well-established many times throughout the manga how much superior Zoro is to Sanji. He's definitely much closer to Luffy's level than Sanji's.

Sanji wouldn't have stood a chance.

Close, although switch Franky with Brook and you got it! :)

I am pretty sure that there is little doubt that Mihawk is above DF in terms of strength.

Thanks!

Interesting theory, and as much as everything fits, it might be nothing. But I must admit this was a great read and I had no issues if this was the truth

Agreed. It totally seems plausible, and makes sense. However in OP, the interesting bit is how things will happen more than "what will happen" IMO.

Sounds like bullshit.

i've heard of this too. i think oda meant weakest physically.

Yeah, that's always been a bullshit claim to me. Even physically, Usopp is stronger then Nami at least. I don't think Nami has ever been anything but the weakest member. Usopp is probably the second weakest, but Brook may be even weaker then him since he never does anything and it's hard to tell.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

What, no it hasnt . Oda has always compared Sanji and Zoro, going back to Berati.

I think we are going to get one. Gear Four will give Luffy the edge he needs, but I think he's going to have to go all out to take down DF, and he's not going to fall so easily. Doflamingo is probably the most powerful warlord of the bunch and might even be on the level of a Yonkou. I'd say the closest to him would be Kuma, though we don't know how much has changed because he's more machine than man now.

That being said, my guess as to why DF is afraid of Kaidou isn't because of his power alone, but the fact that Kaidou has a massive crew because he's still a pirate. Doflamingo only has a handful of people who would be able to fight Kaido's commanders at an even level.

I'm pretty sure Mihawk is superior to every other warlord. If you are the world's strongest swordsman in a world where even admirals and Yonkou use swords, I'm betting you are pretty damn strong.

smurfx

get some go again
What, no it hasnt . Oda has always compared Sanji and Zoro, going back to Berati.
sanji has definitely fallen behind though since thriller bark. it seems like oda planned for him to be the behind the scenes guy but never got around to writing the parts. he ended up being a gag character instead.

smurfx

get some go again
Never underestimate Mr. Prince
mr prince is what oda probably wanted to do with sanji. every arc he would do things behind the scenes and destroy the enemies plans but it never happened. sanji even declares to kuma in thriller bark that he will be the one the marines fear the most. he hasn't really done much to make the marines care about him since then.

Sanji has done pretty much nothing in the timeskip except get a life threatening nosebleed and get his ass beaten by Virgo.

We haven't even seen him in over a year.
Sanji got character assassinated like no other after the timeskip.

jbug617

Banned
Sanji has his moments but the ladies being his weakness is not a good look. Coming out of the time skip and having Sanji bleed out at the sight of a beautiful woman makes him look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom