• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Blackbeard also heavily chased after Luffy while he was going towards Sky Island, maybe the Gomu Gomu fruit awakening power is super OP
or maybe it turns the world into a bounce castle
That happened because BB want to be a Shichibukai (to have access to Imperial Down) and the fastest way was to give the head of one big pirate to the Marines.

After that he found Ace and used his head instead of Luffy... he said after he is not chasing Luffy anymore.

Squishy3

I mean there is no way that Doflamingo will go out like that; I expect something way more dramatic than the panel in this chapter; he is still blocking that hit more or less.

Full-page panel with Luffy landing a fucking crazy strike with Dofla's glasses flying off or some shit. Not this here.
Do flamingo's sunglasses are never coming off.

So what do we think "awakenings" actually are? If we accept that the Zoan guards in Impel Down were awakened, then for them it seems to be a power boost. But here, Doflamingo is using to to affect his environment. Does each type have a different type of awakening?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just like Conqueror's Haki.
Introduced as far back as Chapter 1
Shanks used it on Whitebeard's crew during their meeting post-Enies Lobby.

It's very likely Whitebeard's air-quakes are the Awakened Tremor Tremor Fruit power.

I always thought Shanks vs Seabeast Haki was a bit of retcon, to me it just looked Shanks looked scary as fuck to the Seabeast.

Once Oda started fleshing out the bigger world he introduced it when Shanks met WB. That's just my theory.

So what do we think "awakenings" actually are? If we accept that the Zoan guards in Impel Down were awakened, then for them it seems to be a power boost. But here, Doflamingo is using to to affect his environment. Does each type have a different type of awakening?

In the translation I read, Doflamingo mentioned that in rare cases, not just the body, but the surrounding environment can be affected.

Maybe there are different types of awakenings, we only got a small piece of info.

Bravoexo

Normally, DF power manifest itself on the bearer... rubber df -> rubber man, soap df -> soap woman, smoke df -> smoke man...

Awakened DF I think is when the bearer's "will" overcomes the influence of the DF, and in essence has the ability to effect the DF's power on anything. Magma/Ice Awakenings... PunkHazard Island forever burning/freezing. Much like Haki armament. (For Logia or Paramecia DFs at least.)

For Zoan's its probably the DF gone wild in their bodies becaue the bearer wanted it that way... (like Chopper's)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It probably depends on the power. Zoan users basically get a power upgrade from their base fruits, so their awakening just taking it a step further makes sense. Paramecia have crazy powers that are more versatile, so their awakening seems to just take that a step further. Doffy's awakening doesn't make him stronger but let's him use his power in new ways, while Chopper's monster point (which is totally an awakening) just makes him stronger. I'm interested to see what an awakened logia can do, if we haven't already seen it in Ace/Crocodile/someone else.

Harmen

I expect this to be the case. And I expect it to vary greatly depending on the traits of the regular DF power (especially for Paramecia's).

For example, Fujitora's comets coming down could be an awakening for all we know (opossed to him touching enemies with his blade to intensify gravity). Maybe Magellan's Venom Demon attack/form as well (since it affected environments too, not just organisms) Just speculation offcourse, but there have been a few DF users that did more than their power initially implied.

As for the more obvious ones, I agree that Punk Hazard's state is probably also due to awakening, since opposed to just having a burned island, one half was still an active sea of flames/magma. I also agree Crocodiles Zoan comments are significant, thus Zoan awakenings already being clarified. And to add to that, I think Chopper already reached that with the use of drugs (monster point).

I always thought Shanks vs Seabeast Haki was a bit of retcon, to me it just looked Shanks looked scary as fuck to the Seabeast.

Once Oda started fleshing out the bigger world he introduced it when Shanks met WB. That's just my theory.

Luffy did a similar thing to Duval's bull when he unknowingly used Conqueror's Haki for the first time.

That was probably Shanks' latent CoC "awakening" (buzzword) for the first time.

Bravoexo

I suspect, that island we saw that rained lightning was where Enel crash landed... and his awakened state cause its eventual strange climate.

I suspect, that island we saw that rained lightning was where Enel crash landed... and his awakened state cause its eventual strange climate.

I think I want that to simply be a crazy island that doesn't make sense.

However I do want some of this speculation about things like Crocodile and Whitebeard to be true. The world feels more natural if some of these higher-end abilities are things we've been seeing all along. One of the things I've liked most about OP is how the rough progression of defeated threats hasn't been smooth and that it's not like a video game.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
All this awkward speculation is why I mainly dislike the concept of awakenings. All other reveals were pretty clear cut. This straight shonen power up for the last third of the series and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Gah.

After all my hype last week and the fairly awesome chapter this week; the awakening stuff is putting a weird cloud over my head.

Help!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All this awkward speculation is why I mainly dislike the concept of awakenings. All other reveals were pretty clear cut. This straight shonen power up for the last third of the series and it doesn't make a lot of sense. Gah.

After all my hype last week and the fairly awesome chapter this week; the awakening stuff is putting a weird cloud over my head.

Help!

Except it isn't a straight out power-up. Donflamingo's awakening did nothing to help him against Luffy, he's still getting wrecked. Nothing has changed in that fight except the way in which Donflamingo is using his powers. The awakening is just a new way to apply their powers, it doesn't alter power levels in the slightest. Think of it like a nen ability, it's still more about the match up than anything else.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I get that. Just the prospect of Luffy making his environments rubber seems kinda cheeseball, but you're right. I'll see where it goes from here.

ethomaz

Banned
I get that. Just the prospect of Luffy making his environments rubber seems kinda cheeseball, but you're right. I'll see where it goes from here.
That is...

What advantage Luffy will have making the environments rubber? I don't think all powers will have advantages from awakenings... to be fair most power won't have an awaken state.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
That is...

What advantage Luffy will have making the environments rubber? I don't think all powers will have advantages from awakenings... to be fair most power won't have an awaken state.

I don't think we'd have it explained in a fight vs Luffy like this if it wasn't a promise that Luffy would do it himself one day.

And there's plenty he could do by rubberizing the environment. Lessen the blow of impacts, launch himself from a standstill, even re-create Bellamy's whole spring room situation. Maybe even rubberize other people!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think we'd have it explained in a fight vs Luffy like this if it wasn't a promise that Luffy would do it himself one day.

And there's plenty he could do by rubberizing the environment. Lessen the blow of impacts, launch himself from a standstill, even re-create Bellamy's whole spring room situation. Maybe even rubberize other people!

Or his awakening could be completely different. We have no idea what it'll look like, maybe it'll be vulcanization and let him use gear 4 without overusing his haki or the time limit.

That is...

Luffy could make his surroundings rubber and ricochet enemies off his attacks and buildings like a game of ping-pong.

Actually though, Luffy's awakening will likely be something with his body. By end series, I'm expecting Luffy to finally have his bad ass look, and basically shape shift at will so he's balanced in both speed and power. I think Gear 4 has different versions, and the finale Gear 5 will just be all his Gears at will for a short period of time.

Veelk

Banned
One potentially interesting application of Luffy awakened df would be to alter his crew to be rubber. I can't really think what would be the benefit of rubber objects in combat...offensively anyway. Swordsman having their swords turn rubber would be good for him.

I'm excited about this because it can actually means new ways to use the devil fruit powers. And it's crazy to think Doflamingo is turning material things of his surroundings into strings, as if they were extensions of himself. Why this is even "allowed" to happen in this universe? How much power a DF holds over the world and materia itself? Is there some "otherwordly" being inside that allows this?

You could argue typical shonen power-up with things like Gears, (that would actually make a lot more sense than this whole thing), but i don't agree with that, either tbh.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm excited about this because it can actually means new ways to use the devil fruit powers. And it's crazy to think Doflamingo is turning material things of his surroundings into strings, as if they were extensions of himself. Why this is even "allowed" to happen in this universe? How much power a DF holds over the world and materia itself? Is there some "otherwordly" being inside that allows this?

I was thinking about this earlier. That if devil fruits can affect the world like this, it might be saying something about the nature of the world. Some secret truth about devil fruits and their relation to the fabric of reality.

I was thinking about this earlier. That if devil fruits can affect the world like this, it might be saying something about the nature of the world. Some secret truth about devil fruits and their relation to the fabric of reality.

Devil fruits are the disseminated pieces of God, because Skypeia wasn't nearly jRPG enough, write it down

I don't actually believe this nor do I want it to be true

Lunar15

Well, it's kind of unclear what awakening is. For Zoans, awakening was just literally becoming a ridiculous monster. Chopper has essentially found a way to do this through his fruit too. I'm guessing it doesn't always mean you affect the world around you.

Considering what Doflamingo has shown with his powers before, turning his strings into make-shift buildings and streets after taking over Dressrosa isn't too far-fetched.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brook with an awakened power would be interesting. Maybe permanently turn someone into a skeleton?

Perhaps he's already awakened, he can separate his soul from his body and boost his attacks with an otherworldly chill. Both of those things are pretty far beyond the description of his original power.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
That's...actually rather mind blowing lol. It'll be hilarious if luffy will eventually be able to make his surroundings rubber.

I can see him using tree branches and railings as slingshots, the ground as a trampoline, "Gomu Gomu no pinball/jawbreaker/boulder" in a room with rubber walls and objects, etc.

Buggy's awakening would be OP as fuck, as would Kizaru's (or maybe Kizaru already uses his awakening to shoot lasers and the like).

Awakening seems to make Logias and Paramecia's basically the same, except Logias are more or less impossible to hurt without haki (or some nullifying agent like water with Crocodile)

jstripes

Banned

Right. I think it's a tease right now. Oda likes doing teases. We're not gonna see Luffy's awakening for a while.

Dugna

Croc turning the castle in alabasta into sand can't be an awakening, I mean everything in that area was made of the earth and when you dry up things like grass it does turn brittle and basically turn to sand.

Also Logia's avoiding physical attacks isn't an awakening either because Eneru/Croc/Ace/ and etc have always dodged physical based attacks with ease, they always had to be countered with something that goes against their element like rubber > Electricity. If a logia's awakening was just that then it's also dissapointing that a universal trained ability just makes it useless aka "Haki"

I really hope that awakening forms are not baseline at all, and that each DF has their unique form. So Doffy could turn outside things into strings but that doesn't make Luffy able to turn things into rubber.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Awakening wasn't around in Marineford because Oda hadn't thought of it/didn't want to use it yet and we are all going to have to deal with that.

I think it was around - Remember Crocodile talking about how he had honed his DF, and using Ground Death to transform the entire alabasta castle grounds into a desert, forcing luffy to retreat to high ground? He wasn't even touching Luffy, just infusing the ground with his moisture-sucking powers

Croc turning the castle in alabasta into sand can't be an awakening, I mean everything in that area was made of the earth and when you dry up things like grass it does turn brittle and basically turn to sand.

[snip]

I really hope that awakening forms are not baseline at all, and that each DF has their unique form. So Doffy could turn outside things into strings but that doesn't make Luffy able to turn things into rubber.

Well, I would think that being able to pull and dissipate moisture from the environment is a little beyond "controls sand" but that's just a guess on my part, no facts.

I do, however, hope that awakenings are somewhat unique and not simply "environment of X"-type things.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think it was around - Remember Crocodile talking about how he had honed his DF, and using Ground Death to transform the entire alabasta castle grounds into a desert, forcing luffy to retreat to high ground? He wasn't even touching Luffy, just infusing the ground with his moisture-sucking powers

Also remember than the some of the Impel Down guards were awakened zoans. We're at the point where we can look at some of the stuff characters have done that don't quite fit with their devil fruit power's description--Chopper's monster point, Brook being able to leave his body and empower his attacks with an other worldly chill, some of Crocodile's flashier abilities and so on--and begin to think those were awakened abilities.

Dugna

Well, I would think that being able to pull and dissipate moisture from the environment is a little beyond "controls sand" but that's just a guess on my part, no facts.

I do, however, hope that awakenings are somewhat unique and not simply "environment of X"-type things.

Controlling sand does imply dissipating moisture, dry enough sand absorbs water and moisture in real life. So when Croc turns the alabasta castle into sand basically it's just him increasing the dryness of the minerals in the area absorbing the water and getting rid of it.

Only reason Croc couldn't fully get rid of water before luffy hit him is because luffy was fast enough and used surprise attacks.

Dugna

Also remember than the some of the Impel Down guards were awakened zoans. We're at the point where we can look at some of the stuff characters have done that don't quite fit with their devil fruit power's description--Chopper's monster point, Brook being able to leave his body and empower his attacks with an other worldly chill, some of Crocodile's flashier abilities and so on--and begin to think those were awakened abilities.

Chopper's could easily be an awakened ability, but Brook's is easy, he controls his soul freely to do as it wishes I mean he spent how long before he reached his body originally?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Controlling sand does imply dissipating moisture, dry enough sand absorbs water and moisture in real life. So when Croc turns the alabasta castle into sand basically it's just him increasing the dryness of the minerals in the area absorbing the water and getting rid of it.

Only reason Croc couldn't fully get rid of water before luffy hit him is because luffy was fast enough and used surprise attacks.

It's still a step beyond what you would expect of a guy that's made out of sand. You're right that Croc may not have had an awakened power, but it's just as likely that he did from what little we currently know.

Chopper's could easily be an awakened ability, but Brook's is easy, he controls his soul freely to do as it wishes I mean he spent how long before he reached his body originally?

Maybe, but from what we were originally told he could only float around like that while he was searching for his body. From what he knew his only power was coming back to life that one time. So it is a possibility that the extra stuff he can do now is an awakening.

It's not Brook's soul wandering that makes me think he might have awakened, it's the chill. But there are other possibilities for that, too.

Dugna

It's still a step beyond what you would expect of a guy that's made out of sand. You're right that Croc may not have had an awakened power, but it's just as likely that he did from what little we currently know.

Maybe, but from what we were originally told he could only float around like that while he was searching for his body. From what he knew his only power was coming back to life that one time. So it is a possibility that the extra stuff he can do now is an awakening.

Possibility I guess but seems more a natural case of what he could do with his devil fruit which is essentially control his soul.

It's not Brook's soul wandering that makes me think he might have awakened, it's the chill. But there are other possibilities for that, too.

Chill is based of the idea of what a soul/ghost usually is depicted as, aka the dead which has no body heat. So when Brook extends his soul to his sword or extends it from his tethered body then a chill runs with it naturally.

I think that when the user who eats the revive revive fruit is essentially just given power to freely use their soul after their original cage is unlocked from death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom