• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that bothers me about Awakening is, if it's such a big deal why didn't we see any of it at Marineford? There were a lot of big players there with a ton at stake, that doesn't seem like something they'd hold back.

I don't think there is a story answer, it just hadn't been revealed yet. Maybe he wasn't planning on having other DF's awaken like the Zoans we saw.

I was wondering on if you could consider Croc's DF awakened? Yeah Technically he turned objects around him into sand but that was more about how his fruit worked as he pulled the water out of everything. It would be like saying Ace was awakened because he could turn things around him into fire....by burning them.

I don't think there is a story answer, it just hadn't been revealed yet. Maybe he wasn't planning on having other DF's awaken like the Zoans we saw.

I was wondering on if you could consider Croc's DF awakened? Yeah Technically he turned objects around him into sand but that was more about how his fruit worked as he pulled the water out of everything. It would be like saying Ace was awakened because he could turn things around him into fire....by burning them.

But extracting water =/= making something "sand" i think.

Kreed

One Piece 785:

Seems premature to introduce a Devil Fruit Awakening concept on top of just getting Gear 4 Luffy, but we knew Doflamingo was going to have a desperation move so it may as well be something else for us to speculate over. Plus I'm going to assume it will be a while before Luffy gets a full grasp of the concept and we'll only see it in a few situations until then, similar to Haki, and this mode will be reserved for enemies Luffy encounters and maybe Luffy randomly stumbling upon it as he gets pushed in battle.

Despite that, this is a major change to how we know Devil Fruits work and what Oda can do creatively (Ex: Can anyone change objects with their Devil Fruit abilities? What would that mean for Devil Fruit users like Chopper? What happens to a Logia with awakened abilities? etc...). Of course, Oda can probably now go back and say that certain Devil Fruit users we were already introduced to were Awakened Devil fruit users (Crocodile, Enel, etc...) but that would be disappointing IMO.

Syntsui

The thing that bothers me about Awakening is, if it's such a big deal why didn't we see any of it at Marineford? There were a lot of big players there with a ton at stake, that doesn't seem like something they'd hold back.

What makes you think Black Beard didn't use it to absorb White Beard DF? For all we know, Crocodile have been using it since forever too, also, WB quakes may be a ''awakened'' power considering he could make the air/water crack.

Taborcarn

What makes you think Black Beard didn't use it to absorb White Beard DF? For all we know, Crocodile have been using it since forever too, also, WB quakes may be a ''awakened'' power considering he could make the air/water crack.

True, they could have been in play just not explicitly named as such.

But extracting water =/= making something "sand" i think.

I was under the impression that is was equal based on the explanation. When he touched something, he said he was pulling out the water like he did to Luffy and you would see doors and the ground dry up, crumble and become sand.

But as I said, going from Doffy explanation, Croc was basically extending he power to things around him by doing that. It's a weird case so I don't love that explanation.

Some more unique DF abilities can be rationalized as having been awakening now, I think. I mean, Whitebeard was a Quake man who would grab air and quake it. Air.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
True, they could have been in play just not explicitly named as such.

Just like Conqueror's Haki.
Introduced as far back as Chapter 1
Shanks used it on Whitebeard's crew during their meeting post-Enies Lobby.

It's very likely Whitebeard's air-quakes are the Awakened Tremor Tremor Fruit power.

Squishy3

Lol no, fight is over. There's no hesitation in the end of chapter thing. "Utter domination! A decisive, fatal blow!"

Doffy would probably have trouble with that even if he didn't have internal injuries from Law's attack. Doffy may not be unconscious but Zoro's going to cut through the birdcage in 1 or 2 chapters and then everyone's going to meet back up with Luffy.

Also, Luffy used Soru in Gear 4, right?

The posing for Leo Bazooka looks a lot like Rokuogan, but not sure if that's just because of the angle Oda used. There's also the fact in the panel it doesn't show him being directly hit by Leo Bazooka.

Awakening wasn't around in Marineford because Oda hadn't thought of it/didn't want to use it yet and we are all going to have to deal with that.

Well it HAS been mentioned and seen before, but I agree that Oda probably didn't want to go far into it, or perhaps there are some restrictions on who can use it and when (hard to believe that the Admirals and even Whitebeard himself aren't/weren't "awakened" though).

Crocodile mentions it in Impel Down about the Animal Jailers, they're "awakened" Zoan users and are more powerful as a result. IMO Chopper's monster form is an "awakening", but it's been poorly foreshadowed in comparison to Haki imo.

jbug617

Banned
I think the "fight" is over. Doesn't mean Luffy vs Doffy isn't going to continue, I think that blow breaks the Doffy's hold on the birdcage. With Luffy's speach during ch 783 and the civilians not being able to run much longer, I can't see Oda keeping the birdcage up too long.

Maybe Burgess comes to rescue Doffy and brings him to Blackbeard.

RK9039

61ea9d24da9aa2d50b5c2ca364ee148ed7a4fbd9_hq.jpg

Apparently it was mentioned before.

Kater

Banned
Loved King Riku's speech.

But yeah, as others have already said and as much as I want it to but I can't see this being the fatal blow that knocks out Doflamingo.

Some fanart I just found. ^w^

tumblr_nnwn5zeaKi1qk58ipo1_540.gif

(Source)

Squishy3

But seriously, Leo Bazooka looks like Rokuougan. And since Luffy used Soru in Gear 4, makes sense it wouldn't be the only move he'd have copied from those martial arts. Especially since you can say that Lucci was probably his last enemy that he actually had to put everything on the line to win against. Sure, there's stuff like Magellan, but there hasn't really been a fight like Lucci since... Lucci. I'ts just hard to tell if it is Rokuougan or not because we can't tell if Oda just didn't draw the moment where Leo Bazooka hits like the other Bazookas do, or if Luffy is indeed using his own version of Rokuougan.

o6DrJe9.png

c8747b5c38.png

So I guess Awakening extends outside of the Zoan users in Impel Down? Kinda interesting. I'd imagine Aokiji, Akainu or Magellan could do the same kind of environment transformation.

I was under the impression that is was equal based on the explanation. When he touched something, he said he was pulling out the water like he did to Luffy and you would see doors and the ground dry up, crumble and become sand.

But as I said, going from Doffy explanation, Croc was basically extending he power to things around him by doing that. It's a weird case so I don't love that explanation.

By that logic luffy would have become sand when he came in contact with Crocodile (and nearly died). I don't know, there's a fine line between it being a part of a logia's power or fitting the description DD gave us this chapter.

We need more info.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I love the concept of Punk Hazard being "awakened" by Kizaru and Akainu, nice idea there.

Lol no, fight is over. There's no hesitation in the end of chapter thing. "Utter domination! A decisive, fatal blow!"

These little captions are added by the Jump Editors, dudes. They don't mean anything.

http://pm1.narvii.com/5720/61ea9d24da9aa2d50b5c2ca364ee148ed7a4fbd9_hq.jpg[IMG]

Apparently it was mentioned before.[/QUOTE]

Yeah; mentioned before in this thread a bunch of time too ;b

[quote="Squishy3, post: 163043275"]But seriously, Leo Bazooka looks like Rokuougan. And since Luffy used Soru in Gear 4, makes sense it wouldn't be the only move he'd have copied from those martial arts. Especially since you can say that Lucci was probably his last enemy that he actually had to put everything on the line to win against. Sure, there's stuff like Magellan, but there hasn't really been a fight like Lucci since... Lucci. I'ts just hard to tell if it is Rokuougan or not because we can't tell if Oda just didn't draw the moment where Leo Bazooka hits like the other Bazookas do, or if Luffy is indeed using his own version of Rokuougan.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o6DrJe9.png[mg]

[img]http://puu.sh/hENdN/c8747b5c38.png[img][/QUOTE]

Just looks like a more powerful version of his classic bazooka move to me. I don't see the connection at all.

BatDan

These little captions are added by the Jump Editors, dudes. They don't mean anything.

I remember back in Luffy's flashback to his time with Ace, one of the cliffhanger captions said "Will they survive?!" Even though this is obviously a flashback...

Harmen

Unlike Haki, I do not expect all of the stronger fighters to have awakened their fruit or have a similar usage (affecting the environment is a very broad term and Zoans are shown to have a very different usage). I also think the group of people mastering their fruit is smaller than the group of people mastering Haki and not necessarily related to combat proficiency (thus, weak characters with non-combat purposes for their DF could awaken it too).

It not showing during the war can be explained to a certain extent that some powers we already saw are due to the awakening (like others here are saying). Buddha, air quakes etc. Due to the scope of the war I also pretend that many things happened offpanel, heh.

Maybe Choppers rumble ball gets him into an induced awakening already?

Kain

The good thing about awakening is that lots of DF users throughout the series like Akainu or WB may have been using it but it wasn't mentioned before. That doesn't mean that Oda didn't come up with it last week, it means he knows his stuff and has introduced a concept that could mean new powerups for the Strawhats and could explain the monstruous powers of other people at the same time while not looking like an asspull.

Squishy3

Just looks like a more powerful version of his classic bazooka move to me. I don't see the connection at all.
Alright, let me walk through my logic here.

Luffy already adapted Soru into Gear 4, why would he not adapt other moves from Rokushiki/The Six Powers into his Gear 4 moveset?

With Bazooka, Luffy's hands are normally horizontally aligned and not vertically like they seem to be with Leo Bazooka.

The issue being determining whether this is a technique similar to Rokuougan or just a normal Bazooka just in Gear 4 is Oda skips drawing the actual hit, and we only see the result.

Lol, Doflamingo is not out yet. We don't even see his face in the final panel. Most likely Luffy is gonna lose Gear 4 and end up having to fight Doflamingo with minimum Haki. I'm really wondering now what Burgess is up to. There's no longer a devil fruit for him to take so what is he after? Perhaps he'll kidnap Doflamingo and let Blackbeard take his powers?

Alright, let me walk through my logic here.

Luffy already adapted Soru into Gear 4, why would he not adapt other moves from Rokushiki/The Six Powers into his Gear 4 moveset?

With Bazooka, Luffy's hands are normally horizontally aligned and not vertically like they seem to be with Leo Bazooka.

The issue being determining whether this is a technique similar to Rokuougan or just a normal Bazooka just in Gear 4 is Oda skips drawing the actual hit, and we only see the result.

I don't really know what Soru or Rokushiki is, but I'm assuming they're some untranslated moves. I don't think the fact that this Bazooka attack is/was vertical means anything at all. Just because it's aligned a little bit differently, doesn't mean it's taken from some different martial artist.

Another form of awakening would be like what the strongest Logia (Kizaru in this case) have in the ability to subconsciously dodge attacks, like when Kizaru was shot in the head and it went through even when he wasn't paying attention.

I don't really know what Soru or Rokushiki is, but I'm assuming they're some untranslated moves. I don't think the fact that this Bazooka attack is/was vertical means anything at all. Just because it's aligned a little bit differently, doesn't mean it's taken from some different martial artist.

Rokushiki is the martial arts cp9 used. Soru is the teleport.

BatDan

We still need to see Doffy's eyes. We'll likely see them next week.

Soru is the teleporting move. Translated to Shave
Rokushiki is the name for all the CP9 abilities. Translated to Six Powers.

Rokushiki is the martial arts cp9 used. Soru is the teleport.

Soru is the teleporting move. Translated to Shave
Rokushiki is the name for all the CP9 abilities. Translated to Six Powers.

Ah, okay, thanks! I never actually read that part in English. Did the English version go with the Japanese names or those translated names? Either way this seems like yet another instance of shitty localization, as those translations are terribly boring.

Squishy3

Rokushiki is the special martial arts that CP9 and other people in the series use.
Soru is the high speed movement that CP9 used, Geppo is the ability to skywalk like CP9 and Sanji can. (You can see Coby use Geppo when he meets with Luffy in Water 7)

I messed up and I meant Geppo and not Soru, since Luffy could already use Soru because that's the whole reason he came up with Gear Second, after losing to CP9 in Water 7. Gear 4 utilizes one more move of the Rokushiki in Geppo, it's not a stretch to say that it could utilize more than that, especially when Gear 4 seems to be drawing from Luffy's previous experiences.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Count me in as someone who thinks the fight isn't over

Yeah definitely not over yet.

Doffy will get blown away in a bigger spread than that showing him passed out like all other big enemies. Luffy has to beat him so that everyone in the kingdom sees it at the same time.

BatDan

There's also the fact that Luffy just beat Caesar with a Bazooka move (rather, a Magnum but it's the same thing in this case) so it's more likely Luffy will use a much flashier finisher.

Harmen

Yeah definitely not over yet.

Doffy will get blown away in a bigger spread than that showing him passed out like all other big enemies. Luffy has to beat him so that everyone in the kingdom sees it at the same time.

And Zoro still has to do some kick ass move to halt birdcage.

Jarate

Banned
Can't wait for Lion Gatling.

Also, do you guys think that Aokiji used his awakening powers to freeze the ocean when he met the straw hats

Also, I doubt there will be anymore crew mates until Jinbei decides to join which will most likely be near the end. I think that if Oda wants to add in characters they'll join the pirate alliance.
can't wait for the pirate alliance spinoff shows or fillers!

The bird cage being able to get through the sea prism stone was interesting.

Isn't Sea Prism Stone way more powerful then iron or steel too. It makes sense that he'd build the factory like that so devil fruit users won't come and either awaken on it or just annihilate it. (Can't wait for Don't Krieg to show up again with Sea Prism Stone Armor!)

The bird cage being able to get through the sea prism stone was interesting.
It didn't. It only pushed it.
---
What would Brooks awakening be I wonder. Being able to bring the dead back?
---
The current scene is like this. Because he hit the mountain.

Top: Burgess/Koala

Middle: Law/Cabbage

Bottom: Doffy

I wonder if Law will finish him off.

convo

I wonder if making the weapons that 'ate devil fruits' were actually made by artificially awaking a devil fruit power and imbuing them with that power.Vegapunk will have to show up at some point soon to explain this in detail i guess. And Doffy definitely isn't out yet since the smile factory has yet to be dealt with and Zoro really wants to cut those strings.

Jarate

Banned
When exactly did we start calling seastone sea prism stone? Damn bears.
Its the official "localized name" but the direct translation is sea stone. I like Sea Prism Stone more personally, makes it sound more badass

I wonder if making the weapons that 'ate devil fruits' were actually made by artificially awaking a devil fruit power and imbuing them with that power.Vegapunk will have to show up at some time soon to explain this in detail i guess. And Doffy definitely isn't out yet since the smile factory has yet to be dealt with and Zoro really wants to cut those strings.

The Vegapunk meeting will be awesome, probably my most hype moment will be the eventual awesome mecha fight between Franky and Vegapunk

I think well see the Marines all defeated in one go as in the entire organization will be a boss near the end of the adventure.

Awakened devil fruit abilities could be a really big game changer.
Someone mentioned earlier that Whitebeard grabbing the air and creating tsunamis with his quakes could be his awakened power.

I wonder if making the weapons that 'ate devil fruits' were actually made by artificially awaking a devil fruit power and imbuing them with that power.Vegapunk will have to show up at some point soon to explain this in detail i guess. And Doffy definitely isn't out yet since the smile factory has yet to be dealt with and Zoro really wants to cut those strings.

That would be interesting. Vegapunk is really the only person who knows the true nature of the Devil Fruits.

Nibel

I mean there is no way that Doflamingo will go out like that; I expect something way more dramatic than the panel in this chapter; he is still blocking that hit more or less.

Full-page panel with Luffy landing a fucking crazy strike with Dofla's glasses flying off or some shit. Not this here.

Jarate

Banned
Awakened devil fruit abilities could be a really big game changer.
Someone mentioned earlier that Whitebeard grabbing the air and creating tsunamis with his quakes could be his awakened power.

That would be interesting. Vegapunk is really the only person who knows the true nature of the Devil Fruits.
I imagine the rankings for Devil fruit knowledge are probably

1. Vegapunk
2. Blackbeard
3. Caeser Clown

Out of characters we know.

Blackbeard also heavily chased after Luffy while he was going towards Sky Island, maybe the Gomu Gomu fruit awakening power is super OP
or maybe it turns the world into a bounce castle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom