• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this earlier. That if devil fruits can affect the world like this, it might be saying something about the nature of the world. Some secret truth about devil fruits and their relation to the fabric of reality.

Some DF powers makes you question this topic a lot. Take Señor Pink's one. He alters reality when he "swims" in matter that isn't "liquid", and everything behaves naturally after he stops exerting his powers...

Edit: Blueno's one too. Making Doors out of everything.

There's clearly some big hidden "meaning" to Devil Fruits, something greater and probably not related to technological advances or artifacts.

360pages

I think he means freeze himself so there's a buffer of chapters waiting.
I never understood the "One Piece is so slow" argument. A lot happens every week.

I think it's more the Arcs tend to be long, and sometimes a lot of arcs is just the crew going from one place to another with out a lot of major events happening. Fishman Island was an arc that could have been shortened to about 10-20 chapters.

Though this arc has been dragging a lot. I actually don't mind, but due to the sheer volume of characters the arcs tend to be long.

I think it's more the Arcs tend to be long, and sometimes a lot of arcs is just the crew going from one place to another with out a lot of major events happening. Fishman Island was an arc that could have been shortened to about 10-20 chapters.

Though this arc has been dragging a lot. I actually don't mind, but due to the sheer volume of characters the arcs tend to be long.

Actually, I think the problem with FI was that it was rushed and as such nothing had as much impact or depth as it could have

I think the issue isn't so much that the arcs drag to long nowadays as it is that people who started reading weekly more recently (in a relative sense) are comparing it to the arcs they marathoned

360pages

As I recall this arc is the longest arc to date. Which is odd since it feels like a worse version of the Alabasta (Which I still think is one of the best arcs yet, next to Impel Down and Marine Ford) Not to say that this arc is bad, but it hits a lot of the same notes that arc did. Which might have been intentional

jackal27

Banned
There is no way this fight is over. We haven't even seen Zoro's big thing that he keeps building to, the way that he says he'll stop the birdcage.

Also, I'm really trying man, but I just can't get into the design of Gear 4. I tried going in completely open minded and I've been totally fine with just about every other design in One Piece, but something about it just isn't clicking with me. It doesn't feel very Luffy. There has to be more to it. Even Doffy thought it looked goofy so Oda must know how people are going to perceive it. The fact that it's captioned as "Boundman" says to me that it has more than one form or something.

Also, Bartolomeo appears in the background of one of the panels and isn't acting very hyped about Luffy's Gear 4. How hilarious would it be if he doesn't like the way it looks or something? Hahaha.

Also, whenever Luffy pulls his head towards the end of the chapter for no apparent reason:
RecentMildBagworm.gif

As I recall this arc is the longest arc to date. Which is odd since it feels like a worse version of the Alabasta (Which I still think is one of the best arcs yet, next to Impel Down and Marine Ford) Not to say that this arc is bad, but it hits a lot of the same notes that arc did. Which might have been intentional

I feel like it's really hard to compare that stuff when I'm willing to bet you never read Alabasta week to week. Oda's work is always written with volumes in mind more so than weekly chapters, and his arcs are pretty much always better if you marathon them as opposed to weekly

jackal27

Banned
I feel like it's really hard to compare that stuff when I'm willing to bet you never read Alabasta week to week. Oda's work is always written with volumes in mind more so than weekly chapters, and his arcs are pretty much always better if you marathon them as opposed to weekly

I can totally agree with this. It's one of the reasons why I enjoy going back and watching old arcs in the anime. Something about them just flows better back to back to back.

Also, just checked, and the longest arc was actually the water 7 ennies lobby one by far (I know some people might consider them seperate, but I'd argue that just because they were in seperate locations isn't enough to consider them seperate arcs. The villains, and scenario are all the same. Water 7 is no less a part of the ennies lobby stuff than the tournament and early Dressrosa stuff was to what's happening now)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most manga is better marathoned. Some anime is. One Piece definitely is. I usually build up a year's worth and then go at it and find it super enjoyable.

360pages

Well, I actually don't mind it being the longest to date, just that it somewhat feels like we are redoing the same type of arc with different backdrop. One Piece has always kind of followed a Formula of,(Straw Hats go to a place, ruled by X, they defeat Y and make X a better place before leaving once again) I think what made Alabasta so memorable was it was the first time it did it on a grand scale. And Marine Ford and Impel down didn't follow that structure at all.

Jigolo

Most manga is better marathoned. Some anime is. One Piece definitely is. I usually build up a year's worth and then go at it and find it super enjoyable.

It's hard to do for One Piece since I love it so much but I have been doing it for Boku No Hero Academia but not to that extreme. (It's probably been 3-4 months since I last read a Hero chapter)

I'll start reading it again sometime soon

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's hard to do for One Piece since I love it so much but I have been doing it for Boku No Hero Academia but not to that extreme. (It's probably been 3-4 months since I last read a Hero chapter)

I'll start reading it again sometime soon

Oh, I don't have the patience to do it for the One Piece manga. I meant the anime.

I did do it for HxH unintentionally though as I watched a bit of the first series and hated it. Ended up with a ten year backlog!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I think he means freeze himself so there's a buffer of chapters waiting.
I never understood the "One Piece is so slow" argument. A lot happens every week.
Yeah this. I don't think it's slow, just that I have a million questions and I cannot wait!

I think I don't mind the wait because when I was a young'un my favorite series were already done in Japan and I was just waiting for them to hopefully find their way stateside. So it's nice now that I get to enjoy the ride as it's being created.

Also there's a mountain of content to chew on when I want to do an archive dive. I like a well made snack just fine but it's nice to know the pantry is fully stocked for the winter, you know?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't know if everyone feels the same way, but Jimbe's cover story was pretty lame.

No I agree. It didn't feel like anything happened.
I mean yeah a Poneglyph appeared, but Robin isn't around to translate so it's meaningless at the moment.

jercruz

Looks like Doffy's STILL not out. I predict it's his turn to beat up Luffy, since there's still 20 mins. left. So there should be 20 more chapters until in concludes (assuming 3 chapters a week, so in 6 months) :D

Although I am thinking that once Doffy knocks down Luffy, he will kill Luffy's nakama (or maybe Law again... with a gun). Then Luffy accidentally awakens and makes that person rubber (if it's Law, this will give him hints about awakening).

The next gear will definitely include awakening.

pelicansurf

Looks like Doffy's STILL not out. I predict it's his turn to beat up Luffy, since there's still 20 mins. left. So there should be 20 more chapters until in concludes (assuming 3 chapters a week, so in 6 months) :D

Although I am thinking that once Doffy knocks down Luffy, he will kill Luffy's nakama (or maybe Law again... with a gun). Then Luffy accidentally awakens and makes that person rubber (if it's Law, this will give him hints about awakening).

This seems... Unrealistic.

Grexeno

1392372685774.png

1324621177001.jpg

Someone on another forum had an interesting theory about Jesus B., the Devil-Fruit patterned bag on his back is something used to "collect" users and perhaps trap them. Jesus' mission all along was to gather the Mera Mera for Blackbeard but I guess he doesn't want to go back empty-handed. In classic Blackbeard style, he's waiting for Luffy/Doflamingo to get their asses beat so he can kidnap the winner and take them to Blackbeard so their power will be taken.

Spinx

Hunter x Hunter ended when
Gon lost his nen.
It can stay dead.

Oh and
he met his shitty dad, yes. That too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Berserk is like 10 chapters in 10 years lol

Just like Bastard.

Edit - That is one thing I admire in Oda... he didn't slow down the frequency of releases.
He also works himself to near-death.

Not that that's abnormal in Japan.

pelicansurf

Hunter x Hunter ended when
Gon lost his nen.
It can stay dead.

Oh and
he met his shitty dad, yes. That too.

Sorry, dude, you're pretty wrong. You would be right if the Dark Continent arc didn't start, but it did.

SalvaPot

Hey, about the concept of "Awakening", wasn´t it already mentioned with five Jailer Beasts of Impel Down?

They are described by Crocodile as "Awakened Zoan Types"

SalvaPot

I see it was mentioned before.

But yeah, with this context is hard to argue that this is an asspull, seems like a concept planned early on and makes a lot of the potential users far more threatening.

I will be disappointed if Doflamingo goes down this easily, he needs to get his turn to beat the crap out of Luffy and make him REALLY put in an effort, "almost" his limit is not enoug =P.

Bravoexo

Awakening of DF is probably the very reason of the various island climates of the Grand Line... and then the Wierd and Crazy environments of the New World. People of Awakened DF probably imbued islands of the Grand line with their simple to understand awakened DFs... but as more of them reached the New World, more of them Awakened and made numerous environmental changes... and when their powers reverted back to fruits the cycle continued over and over again in time...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Awakening of DF is probably the very reason of the various island climates of the Grand Line... and then the Wierd and Crazy environments of the New World. People of Awakened DF probably imbued islands of the Grand line with their simple to understand awakened DFs... but as more of them reached the New World, more of them Awakened and made numerous environmental changes... and when their powers reverted back to fruits the cycle continued over and over again in time...

...that's kind of an interesting idea. Maybe not all of the climates, but the "completely insane" ones sure.

Bravoexo

Dragon's status as the World's #1 criminal is probably because his weather DF is fully awakened and he can change an island's environment at will...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Considering who has the lightning Devil Fruit, the implications of this would be pretty crazy

It could have been the guy before him. This whole awakening thing has opened a shit-ton of crazy-ass doors and basically has us going back and looking at certain powers and fights with a new perspective.

Harmen

Goddamn Bankai bullshit in my One Piece.
LLShC.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, I am still waiting to see what Oda will do with it. I am fearing it could go a bit overboard. However, so far it does seem like a somewhat "logical" extension of the regular DF powers and it can be applied to explain some previous mysteries. And not a powerlevel for logia and paramecia.

And alltough, like Haki, I believe Oda thought of the specifics at a much later point in the series (when the world vastly expanded during the Grand Line), I do think Oda has the science about the fruits down for a long time already (teasing Vegapunk for a long, long time and having some mystery surrounding certain fruits and users such as Blackbeard). This will surely fit in somehow.

But it kind of makes sense, I think Luffy is going to the likes of Momma, Admirals etc. now. And those are among the select few strongest of the world. So Oda is introducing several ways for him (and the crew) to become stronger after their timeskip make-overs. At least this will prevent battles will just become "my Haki is stronger than yours" fights and allows for a vast amount of new attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom