• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT| ZEHAHAHAHA! The Name of this Age is Blackbeard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Considering who has the lightning Devil Fruit, the implications of this would be pretty crazy
#bringbackenel

#andhisarmyofmoongnomes

360pages

To be fair Enel is probably easily top tier in the world. Legit, the only reason Luffy beat him was because he had the type advantage. Even then Enel quickly learned a way to get past it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To be fair Enel is probably easily top tier in the world. Legit, the only reason Luffy beat him was because he had the type advantage. Even then Enel quickly learned a way to get past it.

Yea, but going from his fight it wouldn't shock me to learn he had already awakened by the time Luffy fought him. He was going way beyond just being made of lightning, he was making it rain down from the sky, extinguishing entire islands, vaporizing people, reforming metals, restarting his own heart and whatever the hell that final form he tried to use was. I feel like he took his powers a lot further than any other logia in the first half.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love Enel. He didn't just hax his way to the top with his OP fruit. He was already the strongest warrior on an island of already strong warriors before he got it, and once he realized Luffy has an advantage against his fruit he reverts to his bo staff skills, which are pretty impressive from the limited view of them that we get to see.

I feel like if he really honed his skills on the blue seas, he'd be admiral level, vice admiral at the least. As it stands he had absolutely no opposition in Skypiea, and as far as he knew he had mastered haki (mantra). With proper training, he'd be a monster.

I do recall Oda saying that his bounty would be 500,000,000 beli if he were a pirate, which is still insane.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh shit. Never thought of that.

Honestly, now that I'm thinking about it I doubt it. Unless the guy before Enel was a legend there's no reason for it not to have been Enel. It just makes sense from a story telling perspective, if that is what actually happened. Like I said earlier, going from what we've seen him do he may well have done it long before he met and lost to Luffy.

360pages

I love Enel. He didn't just hax his way to the top with his OP fruit. He was already the strongest warrior on an island of already strong warriors before he got it, and once he realized Luffy has an advantage against his fruit he reverts to his bo staff skills, which are pretty impressive from the limited view of them that we get to see.

I feel like if he really honed his skills on the blue seas, he'd be admiral level, vice admiral at the least. As it stands he had absolutely no opposition in Skypiea, and as far as he knew he had mastered haki (mantra). With proper training, he'd be a monster.

I do recall Oda saying that his bounty would be 500,000,000 beli if he were a pirate, which is still insane.

Yep, Oda said that, which means he'd be in the top 3 bounties seen.

Though, I'm pretty sure Enel actually honed his skills before even meeting Luffy, but no reason he wouldn't take it further.

SolVanderlyn

Skypiea was awesome, fuck the haters. Still my favorite arc next to Water 7.

It could have been the guy before him. This whole awakening thing has opened a shit-ton of crazy-ass doors and basically has us going back and looking at certain powers and fights with a new perspective.
yeah, it really makes you wonder, and it would make sense for some of Luffy's foes to have awakened abilities because he essentially had a strong measure of good fortune to defeat both Crocodile and Enel, particularly Enel. I like it, makes me think what Devil Fruit really are? The Power of fallen Angels or something?! Crazy stuff ahead that's for sure.

Lunar15

Enel already had observation haki, if he had armament he'd be a god. He easily had one of the most broken logia powers in the series.

A lot of things complicate that. How does lightning stack up against darkness? Fire? What about a fruit that reflects things? How good is his haki? And so on and so on.

Oda always writes himself an out.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Eneru's Observation Haki was also immensely strong. He could detect everyone on the island, and could hear if anyone bad mouthed him leading to their extermination.
If he discovered Armamant Haki, he would be nigh-invincible.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I liked Bankai's in Bleach, until they were dumb. Maybe that's coloring my strange feelings towards awakenings.

I think I like the theory behind it and the ideas people are coming up with; it just doesn't emotionally sit well with me. Like, it'll stop being One Piece and go down the deep end with power-ups. Faith in GOD-a is keeping me strong though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I liked Bankai's in Bleach, until they were dumb. Maybe that's coloring my strange feelings towards awakenings.

I think I like the theory behind it and the ideas people are coming up with; it just doesn't emotionally sit well with me. Like, it'll stop being One Piece and go down the deep end with power-ups. Faith in GOD-a is keeping me strong though.

From what we've seen awakenings are less a bankai and more a nen ability. Doffy is still getting his shit pushed in, it hasn't affected his power level at all.

pelicansurf

From what we've seen awakenings are less a bankai and more a nen ability. Doffy is still getting his shit pushed in, it hasn't affected his power level at all.
I get it. I just can't compare it nen, since that system was pretty fleshed out from the get go, while this is mildly game changing. I don't mean specifically vs. Dofla, but what it means in the future.

smurfx

get some go again
i at least hope these awakening drain a huge amount of energy from the user. law said luffy is using too much haki but what about doflamingo? dude has been fighting the entire day and doesn't seem like he is about to run out of energy anytime soon. i don't like how arbitrary the energy requirements are for fruits. law can only use his room so many times but doflamingo can create a huge structure that surrounds an entire island and even uses a clone and then gets beat down and can still fight on.

360pages

i at least hope these awakening drain a huge amount of energy from the user. law said luffy is using too much haki but what about doflamingo? dude has been fighting the entire day and doesn't seem like he is about to run out of energy anytime soon. i don't like how arbitrary the energy requirements are for fruits. law can only use his room so many times but doflamingo can create a huge structure that surrounds an entire island and even uses a clone and then gets beat down and can still fight on.

I think Law's limit was introduced so he wouldn't break the story arc.

pelicansurf

In most shonen's, particularly OP, your power level just goes straight up based on age if you're perceived as "strong", (ex. Whitebeard, Rayleigh, Garp, etc.). Pretty sure Dofla has like 15+ years on both Law and Luffy. Going by that theory, he's much more experienced, has more stamina, and so forth. In comparison, they're a couple of nooblets who have yet to reach their ceiling.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Enel already had observation haki, if he had armament he'd be a god. He easily had one of the most broken logia powers in the series.

Eneru's Observation Haki was also immensely strong. He could detect everyone on the island, and could hear if anyone bad mouthed him leading to their extermination.
If he discovered Armamant Haki, he would be nigh-invincible.
Enel was stupidly broken, appropriate for one who viewed himself as god. Even without armament haki he'd still be nigh invincible if it weren't for his god complex. That's what led to Luffy beating him in the first place, his inability to handle the idea that someone could hurt him AND why he couldn't just take the W and bail (instead obsessing over the golden bell). And even in losing, Enel remains the only One Piece villian to accomplish his goals in the end (well ignoring Marineford that is).

Oda may never bring him back because he's too powerful and rogue for the story to handle.

Yeah, Ener is easily one of my the strongest characters in the One Piece universe. I might even put him on emperor level; it was mere luck that Luffy had an ability which was pretty much immune to electricity/thunder.

Zeppu

While true that Enel was way out of the Strawhat's league way back then and was only defeated because he met his natural opponent, we have seen plenty of people who would quickly put him in his place since.

The guy was immensely powerful but he never really had anyone to properly challenge him up in Skypeia so he was free to phase through physical attacks and zap anyone who opposed him. He also lived on an island where everything was made of clouds so it was hard to come by any insulators (Usopp impressing citizens with rubber bands). Even Mr. 3 would've probably been able to land a hit and possibly trap him since wax is an insulator. The previous three admirals would've probably easily wrecked him. Kidd with his magnetic powers would've been able to bend him to his will. Kuma would've deflected every single one of his attacks. Caeser could've manipulated the air around him such that any attempt to turn into his electrical form would've resulted in an explosion.

That's not to say he wasn't a real threat, it's just that it's easy to assume that Luffy had the only devil fruit which would've been able to counter him when in reality we've seen plenty of people who, while maybe not able to defeat him, would've given him a good run for his money.

360pages

As for Awakening, it's a slippery slope. Even now, the only relevant characters power wise is Luffy, Zoro and Law. I don't want to get into a situation where it's like Goku and Vegeta where Luffy and Zoro will be the only ones that are relevant to any of the real threats.

(I love DBZ, but still)

JDSN

Banned
Its a shame that current Enel is probably such a big player that he would cause a great ripple on the OP universe, dude is basically the king of a robot moon army.

Oda once said if Enel was known to the WG, his bounty would've been 500 million. That's still a crazy high number, but for comparison the Ace's bounty revealed at the one piece exhibition event was 550 million

As for Awakening, it's a slippery slope. Even now, the only relevant characters power wise is Luffy, Zoro and Law. I don't want to get into a situation where it's like Goku and Vegeta where Luffy and Zoro will be the only ones that are relevant to any of the real threats.

(I love DBZ, but still)

I'm fine with the big guns being reserved for the main arc villains so long as the other characters are given something to do. And so long as Usopp still gets his spotlight time.

Oda once said if Enel was known to the WG, his bounty would've been 500 million. That's still a crazy high number, but for comparison the Ace's bounty revealed at the one piece exhibition event was 550 million

That was a long time ago though; the inflation is crazy in this world. Oda also said that Crocodiles bounty should have been much, much higher. And Ace had damaged the world government a lot, so his bounty was probably increased because of that as well. But sure, Ace was one of Whitebeard's strongest men. I still bet Ener could have defeated Ace.

I'm fine with the big guns being reserved for the main arc villains so long as the other characters are given something to do. And so long as Usopp still gets his spotlight time.

All straw hats will get their spotlight as usual. It's been that way in every arc (except for when Luffy went solo, obviously), and I don't see why it would change.

IHaveIce

Banned
man I hope Enel comes back someday he is such a bad ass.

Also I wonder how some fruits would work with their Awakening? Robin? She can already spread limbs in her environment, what would be different? Brook? Could he revive others? Or is him moving around as a soul his awakening?

Whitebeard? Also spreading earthquakes in his environment already.

Hmm

360pages

To be fair Berry rankings are only a vague understanding of a pirates strength. Some can be inflated and some can be under sold.

Dugna

Berry rankings lost meaning for people outside of the straw hats after they entered the grand line. The only thing they're used for now is just stuff like bragging rights most of the time.

All straw hats will get their spotlight as usual. It's been that way in every arc (except for when Luffy went solo, obviously), and I don't see why it would change.

Yeah, I just don't worry so much about who gets fights. Except Usopp. The best things happen when Usopp fights.

Also I wonder how some fruits would work with their Awakening? Robin? She can already spread limbs in her environment, what would be different?

Well, besides having more/stronger/combining limbs, she's already gone from needing to see her targets to being able to create voiced clones across an island. I'm not saying she's already hit that point but she's certainly already become much more interesting with her skills.

360pages

Though, I guess Berry ranking could also be how crafty the Pirate is. Not just sheer strength. Buggy is weak and an idiot, but he's crafty and can be pretty smart at using his surroundings at time.

A lot of things complicate that. How does lightning stack up against darkness? Fire? What about a fruit that reflects things? How good is his haki? And so on and so on.

Oda always writes himself an out.

Enel has the strongest observation haki known or maybe even possible. He was able to observe things in a very wide area to level of "omnipresence" which is why he was called God Enel.

Bounties aren't equal to strength, only to threat level against the World Government. They're also extremely unreliable, like Arlong paying off the marine officer so he wouldn't get a much higher bounty then he already had, and Blackbeard becoming Shichibukai with a bounty of 0. Of course there's also Chopper's 50 beri bounty.

Raxus

Speaking of awakenings, I wonder if Jewelry Bonney has an awakened Devil Fruit. Her powers can influence others besides herself and it is heavily implied she has seen some shit. Could be she saw the darkness Doffy was talking about.

SolVanderlyn

Speaking of awakenings, I wonder if Jewelry Bonney has an awakened Devil Fruit. Her powers can influence others besides herself and it is heavily implied she has seen some shit. Could be she saw the darkness Doffy was talking about.
We still don't know how she escaped... I see her being very important down the line.

Get it, they're on the Grand Line

...I'll see myself out now

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah I imagine Jewelery Bonner will be Quitte important.

She Made some comments and appearances we still can't connect right now.

Also Sakazuki talked to her pretty casually, like he knew her Personal or something

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
To be fair Berry rankings are only a vague understanding of a pirates strength. Some can be inflated and some can be under sold.

Berry rankings have nothing to do with a pirate's strength and everything to do with how much they've pissed off the WG.

It's the bounty they've placed on your head. The higher it is, the more they want you dead

Berry rankings have nothing to do with a pirate's strength and everything to do with how much they've pissed off the WG.

I always wished this was the case, as it would make the most sense, but sadly it's not. It's the opposite of what you're describing. How much you annoyed the world government plays a small part, sure, but it's mostly related to the strength of the pirate.

Chariot

I always wished this was the case, as it would make the most sense, but sadly it's not. It's the opposite of what you're describing. How much you annoyed the world government plays a small part, sure, but it's mostly related to the strength of the pirate.
Nah, there is of course a correlation, since a mook isn't going to do as much damage as a stronger pirate, howerver it's explicitly stated multiple time, that some people like Kidd have a inflated bounty because they're running around, trashing everything they can. Arlong had 20m and pre-time skip Bellamy 55m. No way that Arlong would've lost to that guy.

And we have stuff like freezing the berry amount. Like Crocodile was 70m berry, what he was and is still way stronger than that. And the youngling in Shanks crew who got 100m just by being in his crew.

No it's not...It even says Kidd's Bounty is higher than Luffy's because he's more reckless and kills people before the timeskip. Strength isn't the most important factor. Robin's bounty was crazy even when she was little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom