• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the demographic of One Piece fans who grew up with One Piece?

I've been reading One Piece since I was 17. I'm now 30. Does Oda not abide for his aging audience or does he just constantly have to adjust for the same audience? I know his target demographic are teenage boys aged 13-16, but does Oda consider his fans who have aged into adulthood?
i don't know, but based on Naruto, I would say no...

The reason that series stagnated so much was essentially nothing happened in shuppuden that wasn't explored or hinted at in the original. It didn't do a good job of building it just painfully slowly crept to the conclusion everyone knew would happen ex Naruto would talknojutsu and live happily ever after. I'm not that big into manga, only read a handful, but I haven't noticed anything that goes in for years and gets more mature or anything.
even Dragon Ball Super seems to be reseting things moreso than growing characters and delving into different themes.

What is the demographic of One Piece fans who grew up with One Piece?

I've been reading One Piece since I was 17. I'm now 30. Does Oda not abide for his aging audience or does he just constantly have to adjust for the same audience? I know his target demographic are teenage boys aged 13-16, but does Oda consider his fans who have aged into adulthood?

When strong world came out he gave a interview .
Where he said he still writes for the same age group he also did for .
I remember reading that but it was long time ago .

EDIT found the quote .
The main target reader of ONE PIECE is 15-year-old male. SWITCH (November 2009)

EDIT number 2 found a more updated quote .

Q: It's no secret your manga sells like gangbusters and has even set records in Japan. Yet your manga hasn't strayed far from its roots. It's still as pure and honest as it was in the beginning. What is your secret for dealing with success

Oda: To this day, I've never truly felt pressure about becoming successful. I always try to stay focused on making manga for just a single audience, because in most circumstances, you read manga by yourself. So whenever I draw manga, I have only one reader in my mind myself as a 15-year-old. I have no idea how other people would feel, so I turn back to the 15-year-old me to make a judgment on what is awesome or not. I always try to stay true to myself, and somehow it resonates with the kids who read my manga.

SJ Alpha March 19 issue (2012)

i don't know, but based on Naruto, I would say no...

The reason that series stagnated so much was essentially nothing happened in shuppuden that wasn't explored or hinted at in the original. It didn't do a good job of building it just painfully slowly crept to the conclusion everyone knew would happen ex Naruto would talknojutsu and live happily ever after. I'm not that big into manga, only read a handful, but I haven't noticed anything that goes in for years and gets more mature or anything.
even Dragon Ball Super seems to be reseting things moreso than growing characters and delving into different themes.

Jojo is the only one I can think of that probably gets more mature as time goes on.

Squishy3

Because Jojo is no longer in shonen jump
Even before it was moved to Ultra Jump there's levels of violence in JoJo that you don't really see present in other Jump manga.

It has a lot of body horror and while obviously something like Hokuto No Ken was also violent it was more in the absurd cartoonish way while JoJo has extremely detailed injuries that most people can relate to on a personal level.

Even before it was moved to Ultra Jump there's levels of violence in JoJo that you don't really see present in other Jump manga.

It has a lot of body horror and while obviously something like Hokuto No Ken was also violent it was more in the absurd cartoonish way while JoJo has extremely detailed injuries that most people can relate to on a personal level.

The 80s was a different time for manga when it came to violence.

It's either that or most authors don't think of using violence in the same way that Jojo or Hokuto did. Guys back then came up in the age of Go Nagai and gonzo martial arts movies vs guys now who owe a lot to Toriyama and a more comedic slant.

The combat regression of Nami and Robin wouldn't be as big of an issue if there were more female characters that were physically active in fighting scenes.

As of the New World, the only ones of note that were actually involved in fights against a single opponent have been Monet, Tashigi, Baby 5, Viola, Wanda, and Carrot.
Except for Wanda and Carrot, the resolution to the other battles have been either disappointing or downplayed.

While Oda has changed the way certain characters engage in fights and has been mixing up the template for years, he's still kept the kid gloves on women antagonists and it's really irritating.

This chart is from 2012 but it shows that at least 51% of One Piece readers are female.

tumblr_mdfx3iZsx81qamhyd.jpg

The combat regression of Nami and Robin wouldn't be as big of an issue if there were more female characters that were physically active in fighting scenes.

As of the New World, the only ones of note that were actually involved in fights against a single opponent have been Monet, Tashigi, Baby 5, Viola, Wanda, and Carrot.
Except for Wanda and Carrot, the resolution to the other battles have been either disappointing or downplayed.

While Oda has changed the way certain characters engage in fights and has been mixing up the template for years, he's still kept the kid gloves on women antagonists and it's really irritating.

This chart is from 2012 but it shows that at least 51% of One Piece readers are female.

tumblr_mdfx3iZsx81qamhyd.jpg

You act like the male characters have been involved in that many more fights. There have been significantly less single 1v1 fights in the New World in general. In fact, only Luffy, Franky, and Zoro have consistently had fights. Sanji fought Vergo for a bit, but it wasn't anything resolved. The rest have been with the other Colosseum members, which might as well had been filler fights

You act like the male characters have been involved in that many more fights. There have been significantly less single 1v1 fights in the New World in general. In fact, only Luffy, Franky, and Zoro have consistently had fights. Sanji fought Vergo for a bit, but it wasn't anything resolved. The rest have been with the other Colosseum members, which might as well had been filler fights

Yep after FI most of the characters have not gotten any real fights.

Veelk

Banned
You guys say that as if women got 'real' fights before the timeskip, or that they got plenty of 'unreal' fights post.

Women just don't get many fights period. Nami got a few at best, Robin got one off screen.

Yep after FI most of the characters have not gotten any real fights.

Except the cast of male characters dwarfs the female characters by a large margin. And when you narrow it down to characters that have actual fighting skills, it gets even lower which makes the comparison even worse.

It doesn't negate the fact that the fights we've seen in the New World that involve women have either ended with a guy coming to the rescue or the female fighter being incapacitated with barely a scratch.

Red Fire

Man this thread sucks

Edit: to be ontopic, what was the point of luffy telling nami to not spray any water on the biscuits before his last attack? So he can hit cracker through them or what? Didn't quite get that

Man this thread sucks

Edit: to be ontopic, what was the point of luffy telling nami to not spray any water on the biscuits before his last attack? So he can hit cracker through them or what? Didn't quite get that

Yep .
He wanted them hard so he could hit cracker thru them .

Didn't you complain about this the last time we talked about it? So the thread sucks because you don't like what we're talking about?

Truth is he is right .
I stop coming here because of that reason and now i am part of the problem .
From now i will mostly talk about content of the chapter or the overall story .

EDIT and of course power levels can't forget power levels lol.

I don't see what's wrong with having a discussion on one of the shortcomings of the manga if everyone is being constructive and civilized about it.

Yes, it's been a repetitive topic forever, but considering that this is a Sanji-focused arc, it was inevitably going to come up a lot.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Truth is he is right .
I stop coming here because of that reason and now i am part of the problem .
From now i will mostly talk about content of the chapter or the overall story .
It's because it's a legitimate topic of discussion that's not going to go away and is entirely cyclical and frequently exhausting to both parties debating it.

Although, not as bad as Naruto shipping stuff. I think I say this every time too.

AND THERE'S NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK. How delightfully recursive that the current arc features a mirror world.

It's because it's a legitimate topic of discussion that's not going to go away and is entirely cyclical and frequently exhausting to both parties debating it.

Although, not as bad as Naruto shipping stuff. I think I say this every time too.

AND THERE'S NO CHAPTER THIS WEEK. How delightfully recursive that the current arc features a mirror world.

It making me miss the days of power level talk and that says something lol .

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Remember when One Piece tried power levels for one arc and then dropped them?

Xux

I always took those power levels as a jab at how shitting a writing device they are.

Also, bring back Hina; she was a cool guy.

Also, have Alvida make another appearance in the next 19 years.

Also, just have more women doing stuff.

I always took those power levels as a jab at how shitting a writing device they are.

Also, bring back Hina; she was a cool guy.

Also, have Alvida make another appearance in the next 19 years.

Also, just have more women doing stuff.

You mean like Big Mom, or Pudding, or Reiju, or Nami or Brûlée?

Veelk

Banned
I will say this. I actually DO like what is happening with Big Mom so far.

She recruits various families to increase her power base, with the Vinsmokes and their technology being the most significant yet. It's only recently we found out about the clones though. Someone else mentioned that she might use her life fruit to embue them with more power. And now she also has Caesar Clown getting back to researching artificial devil fruits with her.

She's is gathers power using knowledge, social connections, technology, and Devil Fruits. That's very well rounded and comprehensive battle plan. Moreso than what Kaido seems to be doing, which is just making a bunch of beast DF users. And Big Mom seems like she'll be a physical powerhouse herself.

I'm really hoping Oda doesn't disappoint me on this, because this is probably the most intelligent villain that the series has provided.

Voror

Currently just got to Drum Island in my full reread. It's been fun rereading everything so far though I've still got a ways to go of course.

I admit Sanji's constant lasting over ladies and Nami is irritating at times. I do like when he gets a bit more serious and him pretending to be Mr. 3 was a fun highlight as he decided to take advantage of things.

After Alabasta will be interesting as I actually have never read or seen a thing from Skypiea.

Here's a question. What is everyone's favorite arc and I suppose by association everyone's favorite overall saga thus far?

bjork

Here's a question. What is everyone's favorite arc and I suppose by association everyone's favorite overall saga thus far?

What constitutes a saga? If that means Water 7/Enies Lobby, I'd probably pick that.

I'm really hoping Oda doesn't disappoint me on this, because this is probably the most intelligent villain that the series has provided.

He'll probably make it to where Big Mom used to be Big Dude until Iva did the hormone thing.

Voror

What constitutes a saga? If that means Water 7/Enies Lobby, I'd probably pick that.

I think it might work by regions or giant overall arcs. Like everything through Arlong is East Blue Saga. Baroque Works is from Reverse Mountain through Alabasta. Water 7 is a saga I believe with Enies Lobby being an arc within.

That's how it works I believe anyway.

Sabaody is probably up there for me as a favourite. I really dig the idea of the Supernovas. 11 rivals all out there trying to accomplish the same goal in wildly different ways. Pity post-timeskip Law turned out to have a different (and more disappointing) dream. Favorite "saga" I guess would be Water 7/Enies Lobby/Water 7 return.

Currently just got to Drum Island in my full reread. It's been fun rereading everything so far though I've still got a ways to go of course.

I admit Sanji's constant lasting over ladies and Nami is irritating at times. I do like when he gets a bit more serious and him pretending to be Mr. 3 was a fun highlight as he decided to take advantage of things.

After Alabasta will be interesting as I actually have never read or seen a thing from Skypiea.

Best arc: Amazon Lily/Impel Down/Marineford
Favorite arc: Arlong Park
Least favorite arc: Thriller Bark or Fishman Island, can't decide
Favorite moment: Luffy and Zoro get trashed in Bellamy's bar and then the talk with Blackbeard
Least favorite moment: any fanservice moment, so I'm not big on Sanji or Brook.
Favorite character that's not Luffy: Nami
Least favorite character: Rebecca

kurahador

Best arc: the whole Water 7/Nico Robin/CP9.
Fav arc: Nami/Arlong Park. The arc when shit hits the fan basically, and it was glorious.
Worst arc: The whole encounter with Foxy Pirates. Such annoying character and blatant filler.

SolVanderlyn

Best arc: Water 7/CP9
Favorite: Skypiea. Best feeling of adventure and a very nice progression from Croc -> Enel in terms of how dangerous the villain was. Also the last "classic OP" arc in that it followed ye olde formula of go to island -> meet bad guy -> beat bad guy. It also had long term implications for the series.
Least favorite: Thriller Bark, although it had funny moments and Oz was cool.
Favorite character that's not Sanji: Zoro
Favorite non-Straw Hat: Wiper or T-bone
Favorite villain: Spandam. He wasn't powerful, but man was he an effective villain.

Best arc: Thriller bark, Adventure,comedy,equal amount of shine and moments, the emphasis on teamwork it was great
Favorite arc: Thriller bark/dressrosa
Least favorite:impel down
I haven't rewatched/read this at all
Favorite strawhat: Sanji
Non strawhat: Bartolomeo/Law
Favorite villain: Doflamingo

it would never go down this way, why in the world would Luffy care about Dragon hijacking the WG?

do you think that Luffy would react to someone kidnapping Vivi alone (alongside Cobra, Neptune, Riku & Viola, Dalton, and Elizabello) any differently than he reacted to Robin's capture?

Luffy's got friends going to the reverie. If Dragon and the revolutionaries tried to make their move, Luffy wouldn't give a rats ass about the politics of it all. He'd want to kick Dragon's ass if Dragon threatened to hurt or kill Cobra or Vivi, period

Xux

I'd probably have to go with Alabasta for favorite arc. That fist pump is when the series cemented itself as my favorite.

I don't really like ranking things though so I dunno what to say about the others; I feel like I've forgotten a lot and need to reread the series.

Best arc: Enies Lobby. Epic.
Favorite: Skypiea. Adventure.
Least favorite: Thriller Bark. Boring.
Favorite character that's not Sanji: Sanji. Dinner is served.
Favorite non-Straw Hat: Carrot. Awesome.
Favorite villain: Blackbeard. "There is no answer!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom