• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really dislike any arc from One Piece. The best parts of Thriller Bark are Zoro vs. Kuma (one of the most iconic scenes in the entire manga), Usopp vs. Perona (Oda using Usopp's clever tactics and humour brilliantly), Sanji outsmarting Absalom's op devil fruit and the refreshing scenario, for a moment, it felt that we were not in the ocean.

And I agree with you guys, Fishman Island's flashback was one of the best, the whole story about racism was great. I almost cried reading Otohime's story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What does Thriller Bark set up exactly besides Lola and how does that make any more special than any other One Piece arc. Cobra and Vivi are going to Reverie. Oh gosh, Alabasta is like Skypiea! Super relevant for later! Wiper will be there - good thing Oda thought of this when he did Drum Island! Skypiea!

The only thing relevant about Thriller Bark is Lola and her vivre card. Maybe Perona, but all she did was badger Zoro when he trained with Mihawk. That's all I can think of. By comparison, Skypiea hints at haki, that Roger used Ponyglyphs to get to Raftel, that Sanji is "from" North Blue and more while having a well told story of Noreland's family. Thriller Bark has none of this, much less a well told generational story. It's One Piece at its most simple - get their shadows before dawn.

It's more like Davy Back Fight: a lighthearted arc meant to give the story a dose of comedy before real shit happens. It's a filler arc that just happens to have Lola in it and Kuma decided to drop. I don't even remember much about Lola besides that she had her shadow stolen and gave Nami a vivre card. Lola being relevant during Whole Cake Island doesn't make Thriller Bark relevant. It just makes Lola relevant. As much as I have fun with it, nothing about it makes it above Davy Back Fight tier. Even Davy Back Fight has Robin being frozen by Aokiji. That doesn't make it special.

Thriller Bark set up Kuma, which payed off almost immediately; Zorro's sword and the eventual conflict he's going to have in Wano; Moriah fought and lost to Kaido, which gave us an idea of the level of the Emperors; and honestly who knows what else. All that's just off the top of my head, ignoring the example you gave. You're just ignoring a lot of stuff.

Thriller Bark set up Kuma, which payed off almost immediately; Zorro's sword and the eventual conflict he's going to have in Wano; Moriah fought and lost to Kaido, which gave us an idea of the level of the Emperors; and honestly who knows what else. All that's just off the top of my head, ignoring the example you gave. You're just ignoring a lot of stuff.
most arcs have foreshadowing and sets up though.,

You guys do realize we are comparing OP to OP right? No harm in some of us enjoying some aspects over others. Thriller barc was weak...not some off the wall outlandish opinion to have I don't think.

How does that make it any different than Davy Back Fight though? Like I said, Davy Back Fight mentions of a Pirate island, shows Usopp's weakness as a crew mate which pays off in the superior Water 7, introduces Aokiji to truly show the Strawhats out of their depth. Thriller Bark has Lola's card, Kuma showing up out of nowhere to show that the Strawhats are biting off more than they can chew next island, and Zoro getting a new sword. I'm still not convinced it's not Davy Back Fight tier. Furthermore, there's a theory that Shanks will challenge Luffy to a Davy Back Fight so it'll be another callback, sure. But that doesn't take away from its feeling of a filler arc used to prop up the next, ultimately superior arc.

Favorite Saga: Water 7. Top to bottom, an excellent saga that really cemented this series greatness.

Least Favorite Saga: Dressrosa. While the set up was great, the pacing and the length of this arc was murder. I know it was necessary, but there were certain reveals and executions that I didn't like.

Favorite Arc: Ennis Lobby. No need to repeat myself.

Least favorite arc: Dressrosa. No need to repeat myself.

Favorite Strawhat: Questionable characterization aside, Sanji is my favorite. Interesting fighting style and one of the more intelligent Strawhats.

Least Favorite Strawhat: Franky. There are times I literally forget he exists.

Favorite Non Strawhat: It's between Crocodile and Jinbe.

Least Favorite Non Strawhat: Rebecca. Terrible, terrible, Rebecca.

Favorite Villain: Akainu. Just a bastard through and through, but he's on the right side of the law.

Least Favorite Villain: Hody. Didn't really feel like much of a villain.

Not at all. The fact Thriller Bark set up so much important stuff means it really can't feel like filler. I just listed a number of developments that happened in that arc. A lot happened considered how short it was.

If you have a problem with too much humour, or the concept of a musician being important to Luffy or pirate crews in general, then I don't think you get One Piece as well as you might think. It's a crazy adventure first and foremost. It deals with some serious themes every now and then, but at its core it's meant to be pure, unadulterated fun and adventure - which is what Thriller Bark is.

The only people I can recall not liking Thriller Bark on the few occasions I've talked about with other fans, were the type of fans that mostly preferred reading One Piece for the fights and hype. I think TB delivers generously on both considering its short length, but apparently it doesn't for some.
that doesn't make any sense. Feeling like filler does not mean it IS filler. It means the way it was presented was not interesting, hence it felt like filler. You can't dictate how people consume art man. It felt like filler to me.

And I get OP, been watching/reading it for over 10 years. Some sections just don't resonate with me. Skypedia for example is much more about the adventure and it was much more entertaining than TB.

Opinions...we have them lol

The adventure on Skypiea is god tier.

I got chills when Luffy's shadow shows up down below, proving that Noreland was no liar. What a beautiful story. Fuck zombies.

How does that make it any different than Davy Back Fight though? Like I said, Davy Back Fight mentions of a Pirate island, shows Usopp's weakness as a crew mate which pays off in the superior Water 7, introduces Aokiji to truly show the Strawhats out of their depth. Thriller Bark has Lola's card, Kuma showing up out of nowhere to show that the Strawhats are biting off more than they can chew next island, and Zoro getting a new sword. I'm still not convinced it's not Davy Back Fight tier. Furthermore, there's a theory that Shanks will challenge Luffy to a Davy Back Fight so it'll be another callback, sure. But that doesn't take away from its feeling of a filler arc used to prop up the next, ultimately superior arc.
Yea...its just likes/dislikes at this point. I appreciate the people who dig deeper and highlight all the stuff the arc brought forward, but can we please stop trucking our own opinions as the "right" way to view things? It's pretty subjective majority of the discussion ATM...no right answer.

Edit: yeah, zombies were completely lame and it felt like a Halloween special (hint I HATE Halloween) were just dealing with taste here people lol. Nothing personal

But I like Thriller Bark and still think it's filler!
Nd it's still hyperbole!
Erase thriller bark from canon than what. They don't meet Lola and the Strawhats are toast in the very arc we're at now.
Zoro doesn't get his sword,leading to conflict with kinemon
-Moriah isn't met and doesn't give context about his fight with kaido.
-the kid alliance doesn't get exposed(or are we forgetting the lil thriller bark ship leaving their island)
-brook doesn't become a crew mate giving further clarification to what crew left laboon
-Zoro vs kuma further setting up that hey you guys aren't ready for the big boys yet. And also learning that he's been augmented.
-the armban containing a map to captain John's treasure, which led to buggy helping him in impel down.

Ppl cab not like it or whatever, I don't like impel down but I certainly wouldn't call it filler

Nd it's still hyperbole!

Grrrr!

txByjCb.png

Here's the list from the Wiki:

• Hancock is mentioned.
  • Captain John's Braclet
  • Zoro gets Shusui from Ryuma--potential tie in during Wano
  • Perona being sent ahead by Kuma, foreshadowing his power.
  • Teach as Shichibukai is revealed, confirming Ace's defeat.
  • Kaido is mentioned to have defeated Moria.
  • Lola and Big Mom.
  • Straw Hats comment on their need to become stronger for the New World.
  • Moriah tells Luffy his weak strength will lose him his crew, to be fulfilled at Sabaody.
  • Kuma has ties with Dragon.
  • Brook's past and his dream with Laboon.
  • Straw Hats finally get a musician.
  • Vivre cards revealed by Lola, and the paper Ace gave Luffy to Alabasta is developed further.
  • Lola gives Nami a vivre card.

ckohler

Glad to see so many responded!

If I have time I'll post my favs/least favs.

Skypiea was a lot of fun since it was one of the arcs I had next to no idea of the events of. It was nice seeing this whole adventure that wasn't really related to all the World Government stuff as much as I do like that.

That makes me wonder... does the World Government even acknowledge the sky islands?

Voror

Do they even know they are there? A lot of people seemed to think they didn't exist. And you'd think that the WG would want to import some of those dials for their own purposes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
An arc doesn't need long term significance to be enjoyable... and I say that as a man who didn't really like Thriller Bark at all.

Voror

I'll need to reread it again, but I remember TB feeling a bit weird. We did meet another of the seven (and another in the aftermath) finally and it sort of felt like a big deal but at the same time not? Not sure how to describe it.

It has some important stuff happen, but largely feels rather goofy compared to other points. It only felt like it got serious once Kuma showed up and by then everything had essentially wrapped up.

I'll need to reread it again, but I remember TB feeling a bit weird. We did meet another of the seven (and another in the aftermath) finally and it sort of felt like a big deal but at the same time not? Not sure how to describe it.

It has some important stuff happen, but largely feels rather goofy compared to other points. It only felt like it got serious once Kuma showed up and by then everything had essentially wrapped up.
your opinion isn't valid because look at all the gems that came from TB, without it, so much of the story just wouldn't add up!!! It's classic I tell ya!!!

I'm poking fun because this argument is stupid, nothing of hyperbole was said and we're arguing taste lol

Voror

your opinion isn't valid because look at all the gems that came from TB, without it, so much of the story just wouldn't add up!!! It's classic I tell ya!!!

I'm poking fun because this argument is stupid, nothing of hyperbole was said and we're arguing taste lol

I'm curious how it reads now. It felt like it was taking forever to get anywhere back when it was one a week. Once nice thing about binging it. So hard to stop though.

I'm curious how it reads now. It felt like it was taking forever to get anywhere back when it was one a week. Once nice thing about binging it. So hard to stop though.
Yeah, back in the day I remember being quite bored reading it week to week. Going through the initial chapters now and it's a lot better when read in succession for sure.

Voror

Since when did the term filler morph into a catch-all for "thing I don't like"?

Cause like five or six years ago, this wasn't the case.

Not sure. I always tended to think of filler as more of an anime term to denote non-canon material used to fill up time usually for when they wanted to let more chapters come out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Not sure. I always tended to think of filler as more of an anime term to denote non-canon material used to fill up time usually for when they wanted to let more chapters come out.

That's literally the only thing it means. People who use it equally to mean "shit that doesn't move the main plot enough" need to chill.

Here's the list from the Wiki:

• Hancock is mentioned.
  • Captain John's Braclet
  • Zoro gets Shusui from Ryuma--potential tie in during Wano
  • Perona being sent ahead by Kuma, foreshadowing his power.
  • Teach as Shichibukai is revealed, confirming Ace's defeat.
  • Kaido is mentioned to have defeated Moria.
  • Lola and Big Mom.
  • Straw Hats comment on their need to become stronger for the New World.
  • Moriah tells Luffy his weak strength will lose him his crew, to be fulfilled at Sabaody.
  • Kuma has ties with Dragon.
  • Brook's past and his dream with Laboon.
  • Straw Hats finally get a musician.
  • Vivre cards revealed by Lola, and the paper Ace gave Luffy to Alabasta is developed further.
  • Lola gives Nami a vivre card.

There is more, Sanji hinting that he is a royal when he says to Kuma that taking him would cause trouble to the World Government. Sanji mentioning that he read the Devil Fruit book can also be a clue about his "not so normal" past.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
There is more, Sanji hinting that he is a royal when he says to Kuma that taking him would cause trouble to the World Government. Sanji mentioning that he read the Devil Fruit book can also be a clue about his "not so normal" past.
Those were the two moments that first made me think there was more to Sanji than we knew at the time. Of course, it could have just as easily been waved away as Sanji boasting, and was by many people, but I always felt there was more to it.

Those were the two moments that first made me think there was more to Sanji than we knew at the time. Of course, it could have just as easily been waved away as Sanji boasting, and was by many people, but I always felt there was more to it.
Meh you don't have your characters make a bold claim like that without any sort of plan so idk why it was waved away. Shit zoro said he'd never lose again and I mean sure they all technically lose at thriller bark and sabaody but as far as 1v1's he's never lost again lol.

SolVanderlyn

Meh you don't have your characters make a bold claim like that without any sort of plan so idk why it was waved away. Shit zoro said he'd never lose again and I mean sure they all technically lose at thriller bark and sabaody but as far as 1v1's he's never lost again lol.
Yeah, especially in this series, when literally everything seems to have some sort of significance. It's why I think the Sanji scene with the portrait of the woman in the sunken ship might be important to this arc, too.

Yeah, especially in this series, when literally everything seems to have some sort of significance. It's why I think the Sanji scene with the portrait of the woman in the sunken ship might be important to this arc, too.
Everyone always found that odd. I mean sure sanji likes women buy the way he looks at that picture just seemed so sad ya know? To get a panel focused on it as well was weird

RalchAC

Would you guys consider Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down and Marineford to be part of a single saga? I mean, thematically it makes sense.

Sabaody shows the Strawhat crew that they are going to be slaughtered as soon as they reach the New World. In Impel Down Luffy is beaten quite badly and only goes as far as he does because he gets aid from some strong people that happen to befriend him.

And then you have the whole Marineford war, with Luffy running around, being saved by other people while a huge war is going on between the Marine and a Yonkou's army. By the end of that arc, we know what to expect from those monsters, Luffy has realised that he just can't bring his crew to the other side of the Red Line without becoming much stronger that he actually is.

So... yeah, he had to go through a lot of shit to understand that going to the New World was a suicide lol.

I always thought Zeff should have just had a Devil Fruit book around, since he was both a pirate and a chef and he could be interested in that kind of stuff. I mean, if I were a chef I would love to know about this weird exotic food.

Would you guys consider Sabaody, Amazon Lily, Impel Down and Marineford to be part of a single saga? I mean, thematically it makes sense.

Sabaody shows the Strawhat crew that they are going to be slaughtered as soon as they reach the New World. In Impel Down Luffy is beaten quite badly and only goes as far as he does because he gets aid from some strong people that happen to befriend him.

And then you have the whole Marineford war, with Luffy running around, being saved by other people while a huge war is going on between the Marine and a Yonkou's army. By the end of that arc, we know what to expect from those monsters, Luffy has realised that he just can't bring his crew to the other side of the Red Line without becoming much stronger that he actually is.

So... yeah, he had to go through a lot of shit to understand that going to the New World was a suicide lol.

Definitely. I call the arc Luffy-time but it hasn't stuck for some reason.

Oh shit ya, after the recent stuff I'm excited to get to this part again.

Zolo

You sometimes have mini-arcs within larger arcs.

For example, the Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, Drum Kingdom, and Alabasta arc are all a part of the Baroque Works Saga.

Yes calling a main arc filler is hyperbole what's hard about that

Impel down felt like filler to marineford
Just agree to disagree man. It makes no sense to me..it's how a person feels about an arc. I'm not saying it IS filler. But whatever...we're talking in circles.

And impel down was kinda whack IMO too...especially the anime, dragged on waaay too long, I wouldn't have any issue with you saying it felt like filler to you. It's just a comparison.

Some parts drag on and just feel unnecessary hence the term "filler" no one is saying these arcs aren't actually important.

It makes sense, but it seems easier just to not group everything into sagas.
It's easy to tell when an arc starts and ends, but after East Blue, it becomes harder and harder to narrow story lines into sagas.

To me, One Piece is a bunch of arcs tightly connected together through multiple driving forces.

Just agree to disagree man. It makes no sense to me..it's how a person feels about an arc. I'm not saying it IS filler. But whatever...we're talking in circles.

And impel down was kinda whack IMO too...especially the anime, dragged on waaay too long, I wouldn't have any issue with you saying it felt like filler to you. It's just a comparison.

Some parts drag on and just feel unecessey hence the term "filler" no one is saying these arcs aren't actually important.

I get the impression that most of your experience with Impel Down comes from watching the anime, which is where the episode pacing really starts going to shit.

It's easy to tell when an arc starts and ends, but after East Blue, it becomes harder and harder to narrow story lines into sagas.

To me, One Piece is a bunch of arcs tightly connected together through multiple driving forces.

I get the impression that most of your experience with Impel Down comes from watching the anime, which is where the episode pacing really starts going to shit.
Impel down dragged alil Nd I don't like it but I can't call it filler it wouldn't make sense. It's an very important arcs and part of the story for our main character. I'd actually probably like it maybe cut down a floor

I completely disagree. Except for one part after Luffy gets poisoned and incapacitated, it doesn't drag at all.
It's only 25 chapters. More happened in the first 10 chapters than in some arcs double its length.

If anything, it was rushed, which explains why Level 6 was so bland and generic compared to the other levels.

RalchAC

There is this One Pace fan project that seems to be doing quite a good job at improving the pacing of the series, I don't know if you all know about it. They haven't done Impel Down yet, but they have done quite a bit.

yup...watched it first and then started to read it, but skipped towards the ending, as usual everything is better in the manga.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I completely disagree. Except for one part after Luffy gets poisoned and incapacitated, it doesn't drag at all.
It's only 25 chapters. More happened in the first 10 chapters than in some arcs double its length.

If anything, it was rushed, which explains why Level 6 was so bland and generic compared to the other levels.

I thought the idea with Level 6 is that these are the strongest and worst prisoners that putting them in one of the various hells above would do nothing. Hence Level 6 is the closest to a real prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom