• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oda: *draws Gear 4th Boundman*
Fanbase: "He's too ugly." "Why is he bouncing?" "He's so fat. Not cool enough"
Oda: *makes Luffy new Gear 4th form even fatter.*
Oda:
giphy.gif

this arc just keeps getting better and better oh my god

like I wasn't too keen on the whole alice in wonderland asthetic and all the weird shit going on but boy it's coming together in some ways that I really like

and that one page explanation for Sanji's chivalry was just great

I hope he lands wherever Wapol is and Wapol ends up eating him, armor and all.

Wapol is probably on a ship headed toward Mariejois atm, for the reverie which I expect to be the biggest arc since the battle at Marinford. Think about it.

Baltigo is devastated and in ruins. But. None of the revolutionaries were actually at Baltigo at the time. This, just after Dragon calls for a meeting of the world's revolutionary leaders.
They're making their move. They're probably going to make the Reverie their bitch, by kidnapping the world's nobility... using Kuma as a sleeper agent (seen Winter Soldier?). Someone infiltrates (*cough* the woman with the raven Zoan *cough), mutters a phrase to Kuma that unlocks his free will, and bam. In an instant, the nobles are gone, spirited away on a three day journey through the skies to wherever the revolutionaries want to stage their greatest play. Dude even has the power to make any admirals present a non-issue, save for perhaps Kizaru, and maybe Fujitora, who seems to be a good judge of a person's nature.

And then, the revolutionaries give a broadcast to the world. "We have your leaders. It's time for a reset." Cue visual of sickly ass Cobra as well as other plot-relevant nobles in duress.

Take a guess as to who might not be very happy at that turn of events.

mothafuckin Dragon vs. Luffy. Bring it on

Boom. Now Sabo's got some actual worth as a surviving character, forced to choose between protecting his only brother, and fighting to help achieve the dreams of the family that gave purpose to his life.
Boom. Now Ivankov's character gets more interesting, as he comes to question the Revolutionary Army's methods and willingness to subvert the world order at any cost. Or vice-versa. Ivankov becomes a standing roadblock to Luffy, steadfast in his belief in the Revolutionary Army, and as a former friend, that'd make for one emotional conflict.
Boom. Now Dragon's forboding and creepy nature comes to the forefront, as he's probably willing to let Luffy act of his own accord to achieve his dreams, but won't stand for Luffy attempting to disrupt that which Dragon had worked so hard to achieve in the 19 years since Luffy's birth.

Honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if it turns out that Luffy has another brother - a blood brother, Dragon's other son, whom he had chosen to carry on his own will in the event of his demise, whereas Luffy gets to live his own life, full of freedom - something that brings to the other son no end of grief and jealousy. A conflict like that between true brothers might be an interesting wrinkle to introduce to this series' brotherly dynamics.

Oda: *draws Gear 4th Boundman*
Fanbase: "He's too ugly." "Why is he bouncing?" "He's so fat. Not cool enough"
Oda: *makes Luffy new Gear 4th form even fatter.*
Oda:
giphy.gif

Best part of this chapter. I love Gear4th so maybe I'm biased but that fucking gut cannon was LEGIT. Easily my favorite post-TS attack, and the first major Luffy attack besides maybe UFO and Kong Gun/Rhino Schneider that really felt as creative as some of Luffy's old pre-TS fight shenanigans.

Also, I hope this is an indication that Luffy's powerups will be contained to enhancing his Gears. What I wouldn't give for a "Stealth Man" Gear Second where dude burns off so much energy at once that you can't even see him through the steam. Or a "Giant Man" Gear Third, where Luffy inflates ALL his bones, and suddenly he's an actual full-on Giant.

this arc just keeps getting better and better oh my god

like I wasn't too keen on the whole alice in wonderland asthetic and all the weird shit going on but boy it's coming together in some ways that I really like

and that one page explanation for Sanji's chivalry was just great
Only downside to this arc I can think of is eventually we'll have to follow Brook and Pedro for awhile...ugh

That moment when a cool chapter is ruined by the realization that millions of kids are learning ass-backwards, regressive gender politics from it.

Seriously, in a fucking fantasy universe with powerful women can become shichibukai and yonkou, and thus hundreds of times more powerful than the average man, chivalry is even more insulting than in real life.

But hey, Oda's ideal woman seems to be Nami, a girl whose personality is about as appealing as taking a pineapple up the ass, so I guess he just has no idea what real women are like.

So can someone explain the Bropper joke anyways? because the most I can guess is that Carrot is calling Chopper 'Cho-Aniki' (which would be hilarious) and that just doesn't translate too well?

smurfx

get some go again
"enjoy your trip across the new world"...if he doesn't end on a new island I'll be disappointed oda
new cover story? journey with cracker as he flies over islands. it can be a where are they now series with old characters reacting to cracker flying in the sky.

Oda doesn't normally do character assassination. But, if the translation is this chapter is accurate, then Oda just completely character-assassinated Zeff.
Threatening to castrate Sanji and slit his own throat if he hits a woman is going too far. It doesn't sit well with me.

You're falling victim to mangastream's sometimes liberal translations. I guarantee when we see the official Jump ones the line will be completely different

Oda doesn't normally do character assassination. But, if the translation is this chapter is accurate, then Oda just completely character-assassinated Zeff.
Threatening to castrate Sanji and slit his own throat if he hits a woman is going too far. It doesn't sit well with me.

Someone already touched on Mangastream's translation foibles, but in addition, it's never like Zeff was ever portrayed as an emotionally balanced or really solid parental figure. Just a loving one. It's not a perfect validation for Sanji's chivalry, not even close, but it does at least make sense that Sanji would become so attached to the personal philosophies of the one person who treated him like a true son during his childhood. And Zeff's comment totally comes off like something a regressive, set-in-his-ways old fogey would believe.

I think it's worth noting that for as much as Sanji himself has glorified his own chivalry, it's pretty much gotten him nothing but fucked up iirc, and it's something that he's been chided for before, even by his own crew. So this segment of my post is pretty much in response to the idea that young people reading this are picking up regressive gender politics from it (I mean, for fairness's sake, there's a deep well of more salient instances of just that to choose from as of late) - it's a rule that he and Zeff alone have held to across the entire lineup of OP characters (iirc), and it hasn't exactly helped Sanji in the past. It's almost as though it's this transparently useless thing to everyone else that Sanji just clings to because it's in his character to do so, but that's just my interpretation I guess

Whats especially dumb about this is that the reason Zeff can't hire a cook is because he won't be able to kick them when they fuck up.

Because god knows he can't just Gordon Ramsey them and call them donkeys.

The dude likes beating people up and mostly likely can't help him self lol .
I mean one of the first things he did was beat up luffy .

I think it's worth noting that for as much as Sanji himself has glorified his own chivalry, it's pretty much gotten him nothing but fucked up iirc, and it's something that he's been chided for before, even by his own crew. So this segment of my post is pretty much in response to the idea that young people reading this are picking up regressive gender politics from it (I mean, for fairness's sake, there's a deep well of more salient instances of just that to choose from as of late) - it's a rule that he and Zeff alone have held to across the entire lineup of OP characters (iirc), and it hasn't exactly helped Sanji in the past. It's almost as though it's this transparently useless thing to everyone else that Sanji just clings to because it's in his character to do so, but that's just my interpretation I guess

The problem is that it's clearly something Oda himself believes in as well.

Zoro belittling Monet and Tashigi, Rebecca's entire storyline being summed up as "women look better in dresses than armor," the fact that neither Nami nor Robin have had real fights in ages, the fact that women never get beaten up for comedic effect when it happens constantly to men.

Oda has made his beliefs clear on this topic for ages, and they're lame as hell.

The problem is that it's clearly something Oda himself believes in as well.

Zoro belittling Monet and Tashigi, Rebecca's entire storyline being summed up as "women look better in dresses than armor," the fact that neither Nami nor Robin have had real fights in ages, the fact that women never get beaten up for comedic effect when it happens constantly to men.

Oda has made his beliefs clear on this topic for ages, and they're lame as hell.

This is BS .
Zoro belittles both genders , this is not a women thing for him .
That is your idea of rebecca storyline .
Over half the SH have not gotten a good fight since the time skip .
In fact robin has seen more action than both brook or chopper since the time skip .
The men getting beat up it's such old manga troupe i don't think it every change or be equal .

Oda has his problems yes but come on now.

This is BS .
Zoro belittles both genders , this is not a women thing for him .
That is your idea of rebecca storyline .
Over half the SH have not gotten a goods fight since the time skip .
In fact robin has seen more action than both brook or chopper since the time skip .
The men getting beat up it's such old manga troupe i don't think it every change or be equal .

Oda has his problems yes but come on now.

Zoro flat out told Monet he wouldn't cut her because she was a woman. Tashigi is a borderline ally, and he absolutely shat on her during that encounter. Lots and lots of people have written about the twisted role of gender in that fight in particular.

Rebecca's seamstress literally says to her "A dress on a lady looks better than armor" when she's first shown wearing one after a whole arc of being useless in any serious fight.

Men exclusively getting beaten up for comedy is not unique to Oda, true, but he's certainly chosen to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. It's still worth calling him out on.

And that's not even getting into the way his female characters' designs have changed over the past decade. I have no problem with sexy bodies, but he's crossed the line into bizarre caricatures.

Oda is an amazing storyteller with a near-limitless imagination. He's created some highly entertaining characters and memorable storylines, and he absolutely deserves the success he's earned. But he's still blatantly sexist.

Zoro flat out told Monet he wouldn't cut her because she was a woman. Tashigi is a borderline ally, and he absolutely shat on her during that encounter. Lots and lots of people have written about the twisted role of gender in that fight in particular.

No he did not .
He said they were things he did not like to cut but he would if he has to.
Tashigi is weaker than him so he just said a fact.
It's like when he told fishman swordsman or pica they should stop wasting his time.

Men exclusively getting beaten up for comedy is not unique to Oda, true, but he's certainly chosen to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. It's still worth calling him out on.

What would be the solution have women get beat up equally ?
It's a very old troupe and not really a problem .

And that's not even getting into the way his female characters' designs have changed over the past decade. I have no problem with sexy bodies, but he's crossed the line into bizarre caricatures.

Oda is an amazing storyteller with a near-limitless imagination. He's created some highly entertaining characters and memorable storylines, and he absolutely deserves the success he's earned. But he's still blatantly sexist.

I do dislike how he draws women now and like i said he does have problem with certain things .
But some people see more than there is for certain things .

The female characters have been showed to have all fought and suffered and taken on great burdens equally with male characters so I never thought he was sexist. That said none of that great character building seems to extend to how the female characters have shown currently.

And then, the revolutionaries give a broadcast to the world. "We have your leaders. It's time for a reset." Cue visual of sickly ass Cobra as well as other plot-relevant nobles in duress.

Take a guess as to who might not be very happy at that turn of events.

mothafuckin Dragon vs. Luffy. Bring it on

it would never go down this way, why in the world would Luffy care about Dragon hijacking the WG?

Qvoth

gear 4 might actually be interesting if there's going to be more forms
been a while since i smiled while reading OP, so i'm glad this chapter did it for me

Zolo

Zoro was letting Tashigi fight. He actually did cut her cheek once things got bad and later told Tashigi he would have cut her if she didn't.

Rebecca's seamstress literally says to her "A dress on a lady looks better than armor" when she's first shown wearing one after a whole arc of being useless in any serious fight.

Can't remember too accurately, but yeah. That's bad, and Oda absolutely does have problems with gender roles and stereotypes. I think it's at least worth pointing out that one of the issues with the arc was pacifism though along with her grandpa. Her grandpa wasn't put in the same positions as her though.

Yep. Agreed. I feel this may have happened early on in the manga, but it feels Oda's gotten worse over time.

I think he's tried experimenting here and there, but he obviously has a standard/caricature of the more ideal female face/body.

Yep. I think he's still better than certain other mangaka like the one with Naruto where almost every female character exists to support a male character or have some joke relating to guys, but Oda's still pretty bad on this with stereotypes and such.

At least on the Sanji and Zoro issue, I do think he's self-aware to realize how Sanji's views are considered backwards which is why you have so many characters mention it or talk about it.

In Zoro's case, I think it's kind of where he's finding ways to reconcile the issue because he doesn't seem to want to say that it's just as okay to fight women as it is men (especially since he realizes his work is popular with a ton of kids), but also realizes there are obviously situations that can happen that would force their hands and that it couldn't really be avoided if there's a fight to see who's a better swordsman without saying women shouldn't be swordsmen in the first place which he doesn't think should be the case.

Zolo

Nah that is one joke that has been constant since the manga started .
Nami beating up other crew members maybe it seem more since brook join .

I meant that it felt like women were more involved in physical comedy at the beginning, but I haven't re-read in a while.

Only in One Piece you can defeat your enemy, who is insanely strong because he can produce endless amount of biscuit by eating them for eleven hours straight, because your friend can produce rain from eggs using a staff, which only works because your body and your stomach are made out of rubber, which you then use to suck your enemy into your huge rubber belly and shooting him into oblivion through the force of said rubber belly."

Lol thought this was a funny comment

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Don't forget that One Piece is also supposed to evoke the pirate era in many ways - just look at the flintlock pistols - and values were very different in those times. I know it's not a 1:1 representation of the real life high seas era, but still.

Don't forget that One Piece is also supposed to evoke the pirate era in many ways - just look at the flintlock pistols - and values were very different in those times. I know it's not a 1:1 representation of the real life high seas era, but still.

Still compare to the early days of OP it crazy how far the tech has advance in some ways .
If someone had told me after i was reading OP for 2 or 3 years we would see Boitech WMD , clones , cyborgs etc etc i would say WTF .
Now it just seem so normal lol.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Still comapre to the early days of OP it crazy how far the tech has advance.
If someone had told me after i was reading OP for a 2 or 3 years we would see Boitech WMD , clones , cyborgs etc etc i would say there crazy .
Isn't Vegapunk like five generations ahead of his time or something crazy like that though? Most of the advanced tech seems to be related to him or his associates (like the Marines or Judge).

Isn't Vegapunk like five generations ahead of his time or something crazy like that though? Most of the advanced tech seems to be related to him or his associates (like the Marines or Judge).
Yea I really need to see vegapunk soon. Dude us responsible for so much shit I can only imagine how an arc he's involved in will play out

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

This isn't really fair. A royal seamstress making a gender-typical comment about a princess doesn't really qualify as the manga itself endorsing the idea.

Yeah , going to be huge when we finally see him .

This isn't really fair. A royal seamstress making a gender-typical comment about a princess doesn't really qualify as the manga itself endorsing the idea.

To some people it's one and the same .

MCD

Nami was the reason Luffy was still standing against Biscuit-man.

She even bitch talked right in his face. SMH @ women aren't strong in OP.

Veelk

Banned
Nami was the reason Luffy was still standing against Biscuit-man.

She even bitch talked right in his face. SMH @ women aren't strong in OP.

It'd be a more convincing argument was the one to actually beat cracker. Like, the one to deal damage and knock him the fuck out of the island. When people say that women in OP aren't involved in combat, that by and large excludes support. What it means is that women don't get the opportunity to jump in the real hard shit violence of one piece. Like how Rebecca, despite being a warrior, not only didn't have any major fight and had to be saved several times but also had an entire combat style that just happened to be designed around not seriously injuring an opponent for no reason reason. Stupid shit like "Bitches look better in dresses" isn't nearly as important as that." And it also means that it is the general rule, so even if you find one single exception, like Big Mom seems to be, it doesn't change that the vast majority of women are relegated away from the action.

One+Piece+Chapter+689+Review+luffy+punches+ceasar+epic.jpg

Call me when Nami is either on the giving or recieving end of something like that in atleast 5 fights against major antagonists and we'll talk.

Metal B

People seriously don't get Rebecca and Kyros's story. Kyros had a very bad life, because of his difficult past and him killing a man. Something he is very ashamed of and he spend all his life paying for. After he finally turned around his life and get a child, he never wanted it to ever get into a life of fighting and murder. No matter the gender.
After the kingdom got taken over and he get turned into a toy, he was in a big conflict. Teaching Rebecca to defend herself, but also don't get her into violence. At the end when Rebecca is facing Diamante a second time, with enough time to process her past catching up, Kudos was not afraid of her dying to him, but that she would kill him. He saw Rebecca as strong enough, but also consumed by hate. He doesn't want his child to kill anybody, because well it's bad and it changes everything, so he took over the fight.

There story is about a better future for your children and give your experience over to them. We sometimes forget it, but nobody wants a life of fighting and murder for themselves or there close ones. This time it was a story about exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom