• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I don't disagree, slavery is a morally bankrupt, dehumanizing system of brutality. I didn't think that needed to be clarified. Still, entire social systems don't get invented because a bunch of assholes get bored. There needs to be some kind of economic need to justify the costs of implementing a slave system. If you're just a rich asshole sadist looking for a good time, it's just easier to find some poor person to harass.

But yeah, it's pointless arguing about anything in One Piece realistically. It's one of the problems I find about one piece, it's so out there, nothing works even remotely to how it works in real life, that even if I did like it, I don't see what I could take away from it.

I really don't see what is out there about OP .
I mean yes thank to the DF power and how crazy strong some people are things not fully realistic .
Then just look at human history and the world today and things in OP not that crazy .

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bounties don't even make a whole lot of sense anymore tbh.We've never seen an active bounty hunter that would be even close to claiming a bounty of 932m. Nobody out there that we know of can even claim these bounties.

At this point unless Mihawk turns out to be a bounty hunter, there are only a handful of single people who would be capable of bringing it in and all of them are Admirals, Shichibukai or in Yonkou crews
Didn't Cactus guy from Dressrosa admit to capturing the escaped level 6 prisoners? He's the only bounty hunter we've seen, and that's quite the feat if it's true.

Veelk

Banned
I mean yes thank to the DF power and how crazy strong some guys are things not fully realistic .
Then just look at human history and the world today and things in OP not that crazy .

There is almost absolutely nothing about one piece that feels in any way real for me. I don't even mean superpowers. Just in terms of basic human interaction, characters of OP act here like nobody that I've ever seen in life. Attractive, scantily clad women everywhere, but no hint of actual sexual activity unless it's deep, DEEP in the background. Unless something bad is going on, people are nearly constantly smiling as if their having the time of their lives. Characters faces and bodies are constantly contorted and deformed to exaggerate some kind of expression. Everyone surviving life ending blow after life ending blow, even people who are supposed to be weak, and then getting up after their injuries a day later like nothing happened. And so on like that, there is nary a page where I can believe that this universe might exist in any capacity. But that's getting into the minutae of it, which I don't want to get into. But the topic at hand is a good example of this.

Yes, slavery has existed and yes, it's been significantly cruel. But never anything like this. There is no slave system in history that I know of that has existed for cruelty and nothing else. The cost of something like that for no profitability would be staggering...bankrupting...civilization ruining, especially when you factor in the revolts.

A system like this wouldn't be able to sustain itself, just in terms of pure economics. Slavers would need to get some kind of profitability out of their slaves. Otherwise, there's no point.

There is almost absolutely nothing about one piece that feels in any way real for me. I don't even mean superpowers. Just in terms of basic human interaction, characters of OP act here like nobody that I've ever seen in life. Attractive, scantily clad women everywhere, but no hint of actual sexual activity unless it's deep, DEEP in the background. Unless something bad is going on, people are nearly constantly smiling as if their having the time of their lives. Characters faces and bodies are constantly contorted and deformed to exaggerate some kind of expression. Everyone surviving life ending blow after life ending blow, even people who are supposed to be weak, and then getting up after their injuries a day later like nothing happened. And so on like that, there is nary a page where I can believe that this universe might exist in any capacity. But that's getting into the minutae of it, which I don't want to get into. But the topic at hand is a good example of this.

Yes, slavery has existed and yes, it's been significantly cruel. But never anything like this. There is no slave system in history that I know of that has existed for cruelty and nothing else. The cost of something like that for no profitability would be staggering...bankrupting...civilization ruining, especially when you factor in the revolts.

A system like this wouldn't be able to sustain itself, just in terms of pure economics. Slavers would need to get some kind of profitability out of their slaves. Otherwise, there's no point.

Of course certain aspect of OP not going to be fully realistic and detail out .
It is a battle shonen comic after all and once again you are using hyperbole to make a point .
How many islands have there been to that had attractive, scantily clad women everywhere .
How about naming 2 or 3 of them .
Other than some of the main \sub characters most OP women dress like normal .

Also can you please tell me how the slave system in OP any different than how things were in the past .
For eg until Don get the fake DF he was using the slave money for other part of his business .
The kings and the other people were there were going to use slaves just like how people use them in the past .
It just that CD are very different from everyone else, it not like they even have to pay for slaves when they can just pick up anyone that weak and force them to do what they want .

Veelk

Banned
Of course certain aspect of OP not going to be fully realistic and detail out .
It is a battle shonen comic after all and once again you are using hyperbole to make a point

No, I'm expressing how I find OP. It's the largest source of my dissatisfaction with the story. It's not the 'certain aspects' aren't 'fully' realistic. It's that almost nothing about it is.

How many islands have there been to that had attractive, scantily clad women everywhere .
How about naming 2 or 3 of them .
Other than some of the main \sub characters most OP women dress like normal .
This is a comment so intellectually dishonest that it doesn't merit an actual response.
Also can you please tell me how the slave system in OP any different than how things were in the past .

You can read the last couple posts I made like everyone else.

The kings and the other people were there were going to use slaves just like how people use them in the past .

We have no actual evidence of that. We just know Doffy sold them. Why should I assume that they were using them for something sensible when it seems no one else was?

The only thing that they were said to have been used for that would actually be productive is warfare, but that has it's own problems.

Veelk

Banned
No it's not you can't name any island (other than amazon lily) were they are women all over the place like that .

No, because you don't understand the topic at hand if you think a woman needs to be literally in nothing but a bra and loin cloth to be sexually inciting, which is the point I was clearly making, or that when I said "everywhere" I meant cities rather than "everywhere the story takes us".

I did read them and once again you think what you saying is more right or make more sense than anyone else.

That's neither here nor there. You asked a question I already answered in the posts I wrote out already. I don't feel like repeating myself.

Since you edit

We have no actual evidence of that. We just know Doffy sold them. Why should I assume that they were using them for something sensible when it seems no one else was?

The only thing that they were said to have been used for that would actually be productive is warfare, but that has it's own problems.

We do have evidence of that chapter 501 .
I mean when he was selling off the slaves he was saying what they were good for .
Then you had people paying for that .

No, because you don't understand the topic at hand if you think a woman needs to be literally in nothing but a bra and loin cloth to be sexually inciting, which is the point I was clearly making, or that when I said "everywhere" I meant cities rather than "everywhere the story takes us".

I do understand the topic at hand you just have unrealistic expectations .
Oda is going draw what easier for him to draw .
Which is the nami and robin template , every now then you get something different .
But it is what it is , so no matter where the story take us that is what you going to see for most females .
It more of a art problem than a story problem .

Veelk

Banned
We do have evidence of that chapter 501 .
I mean when he was selling off the slaves he was saying what they were good for .
Then you had people paying for that .

*checks*

So,unless I got a bad translation, the seller says that he can play music, mop, and 'make wine'. So basically menial tasks. I mean, making wine usually requires a lot of people from how I remember the process explained to me, so I don't know how one guy does that, but maybe he ate the wine fruit or something and just Jesuses it. But anyone can mop and if he's not famous for his singing voice now, then he's probably just an average singer.

So yeah, as I explained before, menial labor doesn't cut it. It still doesn't explain what slaves are actually for.

Honestly, I feel the simplest explanation is this instead: There isn't a need for slavery anymore, it's been outlawed years ago, and the only real demand for them is from the privileged. I mean, slavery does exist in our world still, but they aren't socially justified, so they are only for a select few in the criminal underground.

I do understand the topic at hand you just have unrealistic expectations .
Oda is going draw what easier for him to draw .
Which is the nami and robin template , every now then you get something different .
But it is what it is .

Regarding the bolded, you don't and I am too tired to explain basic sexual interaction to you tonight, so it seems this topic is a dead end.

That, that seems like a incredibly lazy excuse to attribute to Oda. Oda, who makes the most varied and fantastical designs for just about everything is too lazy to use draw women more varied. I don't agree with many of his creative choices, but I atleast have enough respect for the guy to not assume he does it out of laziness.

Regarding the bolded, you don't and I am too tired to explain basic sexual interaction to you tonight, so it seems this topic is a dead end.

That, that seems like a incredibly lazy excuse to attribute to Oda. Oda, who makes the most varied and fantastical designs for just about everything is too lazy to use draw women more varied. I don't agree with many of his creative choices, but I atleast have enough respect for the guy to not assume he does it out of laziness.

It has nothing to with being lazy .
I would never call Oda that .
It has to do with him falling back on what he can do easier since it's a weekly manga .
He already said it's harder for him to draw women .

Veelk

Banned
It has nothing to with being lazy .
I would never call Oda that .
It has to do with him falling back on what he can do easier since it's a weekly manga .
He already said it's harder for him to draw women .

So, in presented with a remarkably mild artistic challenge, he just sticks to the old template despite (presumably) aware of how it makes his female characters feel samey and thus has a negative effect on the manga.

I would definitely call that laziness. I don't even know what else I'd call it if I didn't want to call it laziness.

They had slaves building that bridge where Robin was sent to during the time skip.

Background women are typically drawn as attractive, but not particularly sexualized compared to any other average female in the series.

Jesus Christ, this is such a stupid discussion.

So, in presented with a remarkably mild artistic challenge, he just sticks to the old template despite (presumably) aware of how it makes his female characters feel samey and thus has a negative effect on the manga.

I would definitely call that laziness. I don't even know what else I'd call it if I didn't want to call it laziness.

Someone sticking to something that easier for him sometimes is not what i would call lazy .
Getting out a weekly chapter hard as hell and we do get different designs like this week chapter for eg.
It is a negative but not one that i feel really hurt storyline wise but art wise and even then it small IMO .

Veelk

Banned
Someone sticking to something that easier for him sometimes is not what i would call lazy .
Getting out a weekly chapter hard as hell and we do get different designs like this week chapter for eg.
It is a negative but not one that i feel really hurt the storyline wise but art wise.

The reason I don't buy it is because 1. it being hard doesn't mean there shouldn't be strives for improvement. 2. it doesn't stop him from pouring ridiculous amounts of effort to diversify literally everything else. I'm not even talking about male characters, but the wierd creatures he draws or the ridiculous detail of the design. He draws in much more detail than he needs to. He can make sure all this is of high quality, but throws his hands up at women?

If it's as you say, then yes, it's laziness. But it's not why I think Oda does what he does.

They had slaves building that bridge where Robin was sent to during the time skip.

The bridge hasn't offered profitability. Nothing can actually happen until it's made and it connects point A to whatever point B is. Once that happens, you get some revenue by increased trade and shit. But as it's being built, it's nothing but a resource drain. And this bridge has been in the making for 700 years. That's seven hundred years of yearly investment in without seeing a dime of profit from it. That's what I mean, no one would actually do this shit. Forget slave justification, no body in the world would look at this as a worthy investment.

Yeah I understand that, but then I don't understand why bounties get so high when theres nobody to claim them. They're supposed to be threat levels essentially, but why not just have a threat level system and mark Luffy and Law an S, Cracker and Jack an SS and Dragon and Blackbeard an SSS?

Its just a little nitpick but bounties aren't ever claimed as far as we know

Probably as a means to keep the narrative of inflated bounty numbers reflecting the severity of their threat to the public.

They've had the bounty system in play for a long time, and I don't know if the WG feels any need to change it, at least not currently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Blackbeard claim Ace's bounty once he turned him in?
And I've never heard anything that said Marines couldn't collect bounties, even though they work for the World Government.

Veelk

Banned
Probably as a means to keep the narrative of inflated bounty numbers reflecting the severity of their threat to the public.

They've had the bounty system in play for a long time, and I don't know if the WG feels any need to change it, at least not currently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Blackbeard claim Ace's bounty once he turned him in?
And I've never heard anything that said Marines couldn't collect bounties, even though they work for the World Government.

I thought he rejected it in favor of getting into the Shichibukai?

I thought he rejected it in favor of getting into the Shichibukai?

Well, he brought Ace to the WG as a way to get into the Seven Warlords rank.

But I don't think the reward money is ever mentioned. I don't know if he rejected it. The first time it was revealed that Teach became a Warlord was in Thriller Bark.

caliph95

Well, he brought Ace to the WG as a way to get into the Seven Warlords rank.

But I don't think the reward money is ever mentioned. I don't know if he rejected it. The first time it was revealed that Teach became a Warlord was in Thriller Bark.
I recently had a marathon and i remember Blackbeard and Jesus saying something of filling their pockets or something. So i assumed they took out the bounty as well as used him as leverage.

RalchAC

One Piece 846:

If Sanji truly doesn't have any other plan for saving the Straw Hats other than giving up fighting Big Mom/his family and asking for her to spare them, I'm going to guess that if Brooke and Pedro succeed in their actions that Big Mom probably won't be honoring Sanji's request, and will force him into a corner. That said, I am surprised how "well" Luffy and Nami did against Big Mom's army by themselves. Obviously Lola's card and Nami's control of the weather helped, but it's likely Luffy would have won if he was at full strength. While Big Mom herself is still in another league from what we've seen vs Luffy, Luffy fighting his way out of this might not be out of the question.

After this chapter (I read MangaStream translation, which I know sometimes isn't the absolute best, but whatever) it sounds like Luffy and Nami are going to be brought to Big Mom due to the Vivre Card, as opposed to being thrown directly in prison. Although somebody going to jail could confirm us Jinbei whereabouts.

Big Mom is pretty OP as well. In fact I dunno how Whitebeard was the "strongest man in the world" with how powerful Big Mom is and how powerful Kaidou appears to be.

Well, when we saw Whitebeard it was clear that he was past his prime. He was still really strong, but the first time we saw him we were given the impression his health wasn't that good.

Seeing how powerful his DF powers were, and how much stamina he had in the Marineford Arc, I can imagine him being able to sunk entire islands when he was younger.

Add that reputation to the fact that Yonkos are in a Cold War of sorts (Big Mom could attack Shanks, but then Kaido could attack her headquarters while most of her army has left and get their phonegliphs). I can see Shanks being able to move a bit more often due to the fact that his crew is smaller. But the rest of the Yonkous have huge armies so it must be quite hard to hide their position.

Actually it makes perfect sense, as is obvious by now he wasn't actually that strong even within the WB crew, the special privledges was because he was a WB commander and most importantly Rogers son a fact that wasn't taken into account when he was given that bounty. He had plenty of room to grow like Shanks implied but his importance was mostly who he knew and whose son he was

It was probably a mix of his potential and the fact that he was Roger's son. Is he ever acknowledge as a Haki user? I remember Akainu mocking him because he didn't use Armored Haki to protect his body from his fist.

I imagine Marines can still claim bounties

Or Warlords.

Luffy bounty should be way way higher at this point.

On top of what was already said, the World Government wants to hide Luffy's action as much as possible. After he defeated Crocodile, they wanted Smoker to take the credit (which he refused). His crew defeating Moria's in Thriller Bark was silenced because it would be a hit to the Warlords reputation if a newbie had beaten two of them. Marineford and Dressrosa's conflict were impossible to hide because the war was shown on TV and Issho decided to not cover up what happened and apologize in public.

So the more popular Luffy becomes the less credibility the World Government has.

And this hasn't been stated. But if I was the World Government I wouldn't give them much publicity, since they have the only person alive capable of reading the phonegliphs.

I mean yes thank to the DF power and how crazy strong some people are things not fully realistic .

Yeah. It may seem crazy at first because OP needed to create some shock value (their robes, riding a person as if he was a horse, or shooting anybody they want for no reason) while not bringing gross stuff that could have realistically happen. Without some humor and exaggeration I think Oda wouldn't have been allowed to directly address slavery.

Ray Down

Banned
It seems a secret message from Oda to Shimabukuro (Toriko's author) is hidden behind the cover page.
Toriko's final chapter is included in the same issue.

The message is "Thank you Shimabukuro for Toriko!!"

- Striped Pig

It represents "Shima-Boo", known as a nickname for Shimabukuro.
"Shima" means stripe and "Boo" is an onomatopoeia for pig's cry in Japanese.

39 represents "Thank you".
3 and 9 are pronounced as San (さん) and Kyu (きゅー) in Japanese.
3 (さん San) 9(きゅー Kyu)=さんきゅー(Sankyu)
"Thank you" is written as さんきゅー(サンキュー) in Japanese..

- 5 Birds

They represent "Toriko".
Bird is called 鳥(Tori) in Japanese.
5 is pronounced as Go in Japanese.
Tori 5= Toriko (Torigo)
Credits to Sandman

GODA!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love the way the Japanese language works

tumblr_inline_ogswd1Hd2d1uoasll_500.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Haven't read fairy tail in a minute but was hoping some of you guys could fill me in on how Zoro stacks up.

If you ever think there's too much "power of friendship" nonsense in One Piece, Fairy Tail is a billion times worse.

I still think one of the dumbest Erza moments is when she had all our senses shut off (sight, hearing, touch) but then proceeded to kick the person that did it's ass while in that state. The only justification we got was "because she's awesome"

Death Battle is mostly bullshit, so all we can do is wait and see.

Veelk

Banned
If you ever think there's too much "power of friendship" nonsense in One Piece, Fairy Tail is a billion times worse.

I still think one of the dumbest Erza moments is when she had all our senses shut off (sight, hearing, touch) but then proceeded to kick the person that did it's ass while in that state. The only justification we got was "because she's awesome"

Everything I hear about FT makes it sound like it'd be the Wheel of Time of manga for me.

So should I feel bad for mostly agreeing with Deathbattle? Either way I know Fairy Tail is super power of friendship series. I use to read it.

Veelk

Banned
If you think Oda's use of female characters is bad then Fairy Tale will make you want to kill yourself.

I mostly understand the general landscape of FT in terms of female characters going by this post. The way it's written suggests to me that it's from experience and consideration, and I occasionally flip through an FT chapter just to check out the art (which I don't usually find good, but sometimes I'm just bored), and this lines up with what I've seen. I've read other stuff, of course, but Neoriceisgood summed that aspect of it up very nicely.

So, if the post is accurate, I'd actually be happier with females agency in the narrative....the problem is that it's nonstop sexualization, and that's creepy. Also, the narrative itself is so laughably bad every time I hear about it, it would probably negate whatever good affect it has of giving women in his manga worth and agency.

I've ripped, and will continue to rip, on One Piece for A LOT. You all know this. But I can atleast acknowledge that it is well designed in many ways. As far as I can tell, there is very little redeeming in FT by contrast from literally everything I heard about it. That said, I feel weird ripping too hard on a series I've never read. All I'll say is that I've read and seen enough of FT to know I'd hate it.

RalchAC

I mostly understand the general landscape of FT in terms of female characters going by this post. The way it's written suggests to me that it's from experience and consideration, and I occasionally flip through an FT chapter just to check out the art (which I don't usually find good, but sometimes I'm just bored), and this lines up with what I've seen. I've read other stuff, of course, but Neoriceisgood summed that aspect of it up very nicely.

So, if the post is accurate, I'd actually be happier with females agency in the narrative....the problem is that it's nonstop sexualization, and that's creepy. Also, the narrative itself is so laughably bad every time I hear about it, it would probably negate whatever good affect it has of giving women in his manga worth and agency.

I've ripped, and will continue to rip, on One Piece for A LOT. You all know this. But I can atleast acknowledge that it is well designed in many ways. As far as I can tell, there is very little redeeming in FT by contrast from literally everything I heard about it. That said, I feel weird ripping too hard on a series I've never read. All I'll say is that I've read and seen enough of FT to know I'd hate it.

Great posts, both Neorice's and yours. Haven't noticed that pattern about women having Devil Fruits that can be used to easily knock out the enemy as opposed to having a real right.

I really like One Piece most of the time, but after almost 20 years (and considering how most of his fans are on their 20s and 30s) I think we should start getting more stuff like what's been shown on this arc instead of jokes about boobs, and nose bleeding and those kind of things. I don't really want One Piece to become something entirely different, but acknowledging the fact that most of your audience is getting older and shaping your story keeping that fact in account would be great.

Not asking for a radical swift in tone, but stuff like Sanji acting as a normal person with Pudding is a really welcome change compared to the "oh crap a woman! He needs a blood transfusion!" thing from Fishman Island.

Dugna

Great posts, both Neorice's and yours. Haven't noticed that pattern about women having Devil Fruits that can be used to easily knock out the enemy as opposed to having a real right.

I really like One Piece most of the time, but after almost 20 years (and considering how most of his fans are on their 20s and 30s) I think we should start getting more stuff like what's been shown on this arc instead of jokes about boobs, and nose bleeding and those kind of things. I don't really want One Piece to become something entirely different, but acknowledging the fact that most of your audience is getting older and shaping your story keeping that fact in account would be great.

Not asking for a radical swift in tone, but stuff like Sanji acting as a normal person with Pudding is a really welcome change compared to the "oh crap a woman! He needs a blood transfusion!" thing from Fishman Island.

There has been a major tone shift, thats mostly come from the SH being seperated SO FUCKING MUCH after timeskip....like fishman island is still in my top 3 after timeskip because they were actually together and just exploring enjoying things....not this 2-3 year time where we hear nothing from either side.

Like every since Sabadoy the show has slowing been getting more dreary and such...it still has fun moments but people like even Luffy are way more serious now...I get why with how high stakes are..but it just doesn't have that feeling from Skypeia or below where it was just whatever new story per island..things are too connected now.

SolVanderlyn

There has been a major tone shift, thats mostly come from the SH being seperated SO FUCKING MUCH after timeskip....like fishman island is still in my top 3 after timeskip because they were actually together and just exploring enjoying things....not this 2-3 year time where we hear nothing from either side.

Like every since Sabadoy the show has slowing been getting more dreary and such...it still has fun moments but people like even Luffy are way more serious now...I get why with how high stakes are..but it just doesn't have that feeling from Skypeia or below where it was just whatever new story per island..things are too connected now.
To be fair... there is only so long you can keep up a formula and keep reader interest. Water 7 is where I'd argue that the shift to "darker" storylines started. The crew being split up all the time is a bit annoying, but I'm sure it's done to add a feeling of freshness to the plot.

Dugna

To be fair... there is only so long you can keep up a formula and keep reader interest. Water 7 is where I'd argue that the shift to "darker" storylines started. The crew being split up all the time is a bit annoying, but I'm sure it's done to add a feeling of freshness to the plot.

I know that eventually the new island = new story with only slight hidden connections couldn't last forever...but it just sorta became insane with how everything is now really connected after Marineford...I just sorta want one island in the New World to be not connected to a yonko or the WG...just one....I know its impossible because of how the New World is but yeah..

Also we had litterally like 2-3 years of the group being split up then finally together for only 2-3 more years then split for even longer now..we get less chemistry between the SHs now. I guess what I'm saying is the show has become less about the SH's journey and more about the world around them.

EDIT: Btw I'm not saying I don't like One Piece anymore, but just wish for a good solid important Arc where the strawhats are all together.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's a huge difference between a character having agency and a character just getting a fight. Nami has agency, god knows how many times she's gone off and done her own thing or made a decision on her own, that's agency. Getting a fight isn't necessarily that. If you're going to argue they are one in the same then I'm done for good.

RalchAC

I would say that both Fishman Island with it's overabundant bad jokes and Punk Hazard were a regression compared to what had happened before it.

I remember the later having it's own share of dumbness before the Luffy-Law alliance was settled and the different battles began.

Like Kinemon being divided in 3 different parts (Luffy running after the legs, Brook being defeated by the body, the head telling Nami she has no shame and those kind of jokes), the whole body swapping thing that Law used against both the Strawhats and Smoker and Tashigi, and stuff like that. Near the end of the arc things got more serious, but that's something usual near the end on an arc.

If anything, the swift may have happened at Dressrossa, which had a lot of stuff going on at the same time and set up the whole Sanji marriage thing by sending half of the cast directly to Zou.

I agree with you that crew interactions have been much more limited lately. I realized how much I missed when I watched the first 10-20 minutes of One Piece Film Z.

NSESN

About Woman's Devil fruits, how many of them have offensive ones?
The only one I can remeber is Monet and Baby Five.

Veelk

Banned
There's a huge difference between a character having agency and a character just getting a fight. Nami has agency, god knows how many times she's gone off and done her own thing or made a decision on her own, that's agency. Getting a fight isn't necessarily that. If you're going to argue they are one in the same then I'm done for good.

Well, if we're directly comparing it to fairy tale, no, I haven't read it, so I can't argue that. If you just mean in general, then I also wouldn't argue that completely. That said, I do think Nami's agency is comparatively hamstrung compared to male characters. If you make a world in which fighting is the primary and most significant moving force of change in the world and you make an arbitrary rule that women can't really fight, then you cripple them in terms of the impact they can have on the world. I'm sure fairy tale is awful and all, but if it has managed to avoid this pitfall, there probably is a case to be made. But. I don't feel like getting into this again. I made this argument a hundred times at this point and I can't think of anything new to say on it.

Besides, it looks like this arc is going to be different... Though we haven't anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom