• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But Sanji's explanation isn't inconsistent with anything that happens in the manga, it's inconsistent with the concept of friction as people know it itself. It doesn't really require any amount of time, it's incoherent from it's inception because friction doesn't work that way beyond the fact that it generates heat.

I haven't read Bleach's last arc, but you're confusing narrative logic with just plain understanding of things work.

Something like, say, Ichigo running around at speeds that are faster than the human body can go aren't unrealistic or illogical in the traditional sense because they are powered by a magic system that is specifically designed to let characters do impossible things. Sanji's explanation doesn't make sense because it's not magical in nature or anything like that, it's just impossible with what people understand friction, a real life phenomenon, to be.

No I'm not how can you even make that statement when you don't even know what
I'm talking about if you haven't read it. I'm talking completely about ability explanatons here.

How about rather than assuming your right about something you haven't read, you actually read it before engaging in an arguement about it.

Veelk

Banned
Sanji spins at supersonic speeds concentrated on his legs. This generates heat. That's it, that's all there is to it.

Yes, and it's BULLSHIT. For instance, why does his leg catch fire instead of something far more flammable, like his hair or clothes? Or why his leg specifically, instead of his entire body that's spinning at an equal velocity? Why is he not burned from it when he has way more contact with the flame than the person he kicks? How is it that he turns the flame off, when it starts from the bottom and has plenty of fabric to burn, without doing anything? Why does it catch fire when there are times where he's not moving at a faster speed than other people who aren't catching fire? And this asks questions about the rest of the world where I'm pretty sure if it was this easy to set your limbs on fire without consequence, then people could find better uses of it than fighting.

This is not the kind of thing that comes up in most other shonen just for the fact that they supplement their explanations with magic. Trying to use real world forces to explain the fantastical makes for a far more incoherent experience for me.

No I'm not how can you even make that statement when you don't even know what
I'm talking about if you haven't read it. I'm talking completely about ability explanatons here.

Dude, if you can Bankai in real life, then teach me how.

Sanji spins at supersonic speeds concentrated on his legs. This generates heat. That's it, that's all there is to it.

The fact his body isn't damaged by it is strange but I guess he's used to ut much like Luffy's body is use to travelling at supersonic speeds. I'm an mechanic engineering done a masters in it. I deal with friction and stress forces daily. It's not that hard to understabd the simplified conxeot of it.

His body not being damage just mean he accustom to it like you said .
I mean we are talking about a world where people body are crazy for eg Zoro , Mihawk , Jozu etc etc

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes, and it's BULLSHIT. For instance, why does his leg catch fire instead of something far more flammable, like his hair or clothes? Or why his leg specifically, instead of his entire body that's spinning at an equal velocity? Why is he not burned from it when he has way more contact with the flame than the person he kicks? How is it that he turns the flame off, when it starts from the bottom and has plenty of fabric to burn? Why does it catch fire when there are times where he's not moving at a faster speed than other people who aren't catching fire? And this asks questions about the rest of the world where I'm pretty sure if it was this easy to set your limbs on fire without consequence, then people could find better uses of it than fighting.

This is not the kind of thing that comes up in most other shonen just for the fact that they supplement their explanations with magic. Trying to use real world forces to explain the fantastical makes for a far more incoherent experience for me.

Dude, if you can Bankai in real life, then teach me how.
I'm not talking about Bankai, read the damn last arc before making a fool of yourself.

Do you even know how friction works? The friction with the ground is the why his lower half warms up. It's not the air resisance that's warming him up. I don't his whole body is even supposed to be moving at supersonic speeds.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not talking about Bankai, read the damn last arc before making a fool of yourself.
Why? I made no comment on Bleach's last arc, just that the story generally allows superhuman abilities to be explained by magical forces rather than mundane ones. Even if Bleach makes no sense in it's last arc, how does that relate to the conversation we're having about how fantastical abilities are explained? I don't care about how nonsenisical Bleach's ending might have been, unless it also started to explain that the entire spirit world was is the result of water condensation or some shit, I don't see how it relates.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why? I made no comment on Bleach's last arc, just that the story generally allows superhuman abilities to be explained by magical forces rather than mundane ones. Even if Bleach makes no sense in it's last arc, how does that relate to the conversation we're having about how fantastical abilities are explained? I don't care about how nonsenisical Bleach's ending might have been, unless it also started to explain that the entire spirit world was is the result of water condensation or some shit, I don't see how it relates.

You made a statement about bleach which you supposedly read but couldn't be bothered reading the entirity of and then compared it to One Piece amongst others in terms of being better about ability explanation. When your talking specifically about only one ability in One Piece you don't get to ignore an entire fucking arc of Bleach. That fact said arc completely contradicts your conclusion of the series makes it worse. How do I know you've read properly read the rest of the series you listed.

The fact you made assumptions about my analysis of bleach when you haven't even properly read it, shows surface level that analysis even is. Your talking out of your ass quite simply and you know it.

Veelk

Banned
You made a statement about bleach which you supposedly read but couldn't be bothered reading the entirity of and then compared it to One Piecd amongst others in terms of being better about ability explanation. When your talking specifically about one ability in One Piece you don't get to ignore an entire fucking arc of Bleach. That fact said arc completely contradicts you conclusion of the series makes it worse. How do I know you've read properly read the rest of the series you listed.

The fact you made assumptions about my analysis og bleach when you haven't even properly read it, so shows surface level that analysis even is.

I mean, I think I read most of it. Whenever the Quincy arc started, somewhere around there. So I think I've read enough of it to have a decent grasp of it's magic system. I also don't see why I need to read the entirety of any manga ever in order to discuss a tiny sliver of one piece. I feel like you're trying to make up arbitrary rules to try and make some kind of refutation of "Well, atleast it isn't as bad as that other manga's entire last arc" as if that needs to happen in order for a criticism of OP to be applicable.

Now, you can respond to this post if you want to, but you're not going to be right unless you read the entirety of the Iliad backwards first.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I mean, I think I read most of it. Whenever the Quincy arc started, somewhere around there. So I think I've read enough of it to have a decent grasp of it's magic system. I also don't see why I need to read the entirety of any manga ever in order to discuss a tiny sliver of one piece. I feel like you're trying to make up arbitrary rules to try and make some kind of refutation of "Well, atleast it isn't as bad as that other manga's entire last arc"

Now, you can respond to this post if you want to, but you're not going to be right unless you read the entirety of the Iliad backwards first.
We're not talking about the magic system we're talking about abilties. Do you know how Ichigo defeated a God that can destroy and manipulate any future at will? Do you know what Ichigo's avilties even are? Do you know Yoruichi's Bankai or Shikaj is?

No I will be right because you said most manga don't have as bullshit explanations as one piece. You'd be wrong as you couldn't be bothered fully reading the manga's you did read before making such ill conceived statements.

The entire framework of your statement has holes everywhere and I'm pretty sure you don't fully understand the thermodynamic process of friction (which is what makes this arguement really stupid).

Veelk

Banned
We're not talking about the magic system we're talking about abilties. Do you know how Ichigo defeated a God that can destroy and manipulate any future at will? Do you know what Ichigo's avilties even are? Do you know Yoruichi's Bankai or Shikaj?

No I will be right because you said said most manga don't have as bullshiy explanations as one piece. You'd be wrong as you couldn't be bothered fully reading the manga's you did read before making such ill conceived statements.

You can't talk about abilities like Bankai without talking about a magical system unless you're suggesting Bankai's are a real life phenomenon. Which, again, if you can demonstratively prove you can bankai, I'll listen to whatever you have to say. Otherwise, you're not really justifying why I would need to read the entirety of a manga, when all my argument states is that "It's magic" (which is what most shonens go with) is a better explanation for a magical thing occurring than trying to justify it with a real life mechanism that we know doesn't work that way.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You can't talk about abilities like Bankai without talking about a magical system unless you're suggesting Bankai's are a real life phenomenon. Which, again, if you can demonstratively prove you can bankai, I'll listen to whatever you have to say. Otherwise, you're not really justifying why I would need to read the entirety of a manga, when all my argument states is that "It's magic" (which is what most shonens go with) is a better explanation for a magical thing occurring than trying to justify it with a real life mechanism that we know doesn't work that way.

See if you had actually read the arc, youd know the abilties I'm talking about don't work in regards to ability system or basic logic at all. But hey let's keep chatting shit about things I haven't read.

And dude you don't even full understand friction. Why are you arguing like an expert.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus Christ.

This is usually the breaking point we discussed earlier. At this point, anything resembling actual discussion has broken down and people are just yelling. I'm happy to disengage here. All over what I still consider to be true and relatively innocuous comment: That OP is a sillier manga than most.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, sometimes I'm so right and everyone else is so wrong that people just can't take it.

/s, not that I think it's going to actually mean much.
Haha it's a good thing your taking this as seriously as I am. But yeah my biggest pet is is when someone makes an arguement about something they demonstrably aren't informed enough to fo so I've been trying to shame you into either reading ir or not making arguements based on it.

Veelk

Banned
Haha it's a good thing your taking this as seriously as I am. But yeah my biggest pet is is when someone makes an arguement about something they demonstrably aren't informed enough to fo so I've been trying to shame you into either reading ir or not making arguements based on it.

You've failed.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is usually the breaking point we discussed earlier. At this point, anything resembling actual discussion has broken down and people are just yelling. I'm happy to disengage here. All over what I still consider to be true and relatively innocuous comment: That OP is a sillier manga than most.
You moved the goal post conceding I'm correct Yes I won, happy days. This arguement wasn't a complete waste of time

You've failed.
That's because you poor a literature analysis and any critic would say so. Not my problem bro.

Veelk

Banned
No one comes in this thread anymore. Where's Ray,wheres cloud(#1 on the most post list), red fire?,kave?, romance dawn,sol?etc all top 10 posters barely mostly don't even post anymore even when a chapter Is out

Don't blame me. I usually duck out and not discuss the main chapter stuff.

blithering nonsense
seh6p.gif

No one comes in this thread anymore. Where's Ray,wheres cloud(#1 on the most post list), red fire?,kave?, romance dawn,sol?etc all top 10 posters barely mostly don't even post anymore even when a chapter Is out

Black you are the number one on the post list now lol .
But yeah even i stop coming for a while but back for now.

TheFlow

Banned
I blame veelk.

Stop looking for something that isn't there. Enjoy the manga for what it is. This is the one piece community. Where the hardcore one piece fanboys reside. lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Some of this thread's posters never fail to impress me at the fact that veelk can say the most innocuous and/or obvious thing about this manga ever and they still turn it into a huge "argument" (or failed attempts at shaming him apparently) spanning multiple pages of stuff that im not even sure veelk wanted to actually discuss. Good stuff.

sasuke_91

Some of this thread's posters never fail to impress me at the fact that veelk can say the most innocuous and/or obvious thing about this manga ever and they still turn it into a huge "argument" (or failed attempts at shaming him apparently) spanning multiple pages of stuff that im not even sure veelk wanted to actually discuss. Good stuff.

I think the issue with Veelk's posts is poor wording. I agree with most of his opinions, but you can easily turn it into a pointless argument if you want to.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Shit man, guys lay off the ether, Cindy has some very high class taste quality stuff. I mean her favourite character is Nami which shows real appreciation of characters. I mean at least it's not Sanji whose spent the majority id post time skip jobbing so much I question of he's even a part of the monster trio anymore.

Shit man, guys lay off the ether, Cindy has some very high class taste quality stuff. I mean her favourite character is Nami which shows real appreciation of characters. I mean at least it's not Sanji whose spent the majority id post time skip jobbing so much I question of he's even a part of the monster trio anymore.

Seem he can only fight properly if the person not fighting back lol.

Carrot is better than nami.
Seem he can only fight properly if the person not fighting back lol.
Daaamn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom