• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
ATjC9Yw.png

smurfx

get some go again
Can anyone explain fruit awakening more? I don't remember it being in the manga, but then again I tend to pay less attention to fruit power abilities for battle and more on world details. I think like concepts such as Observation and Awakening have been a bit too obscure and not fully fleshed out.
we still don't know exactly how it works but the devil fruit user essentially unlocks the hidden potential of the fruit. for doflamingo he was able to create strings out of random objects and use it as if they were part of his body. zoans awakening makes them super tough and gives them super healing. choppers huge form is essentially his awakened form. also just because doflamingo could create strings from objects doesn't mean all paramecias awakenings will do the same. i think luffy will be able to create his much prophesized vulcan form thanks to him being able to alter his bodies rubber.

LotusHD

Banned
Can anyone explain fruit awakening more? I don't remember it being in the manga, but then again I tend to pay less attention to fruit power abilities for battle and more on world details. I think like concepts such as Observation and Awakening have been a bit too obscure and not fully fleshed out.

Well it was foreshadowed I guess with the Awakened Zoan jailers back at Impel Down. For Zoan users, they basically get larger forms, and more stamina/endurance it seems, as well as a higher recovery rate apparently. I also found it interesting that they were already in their forms; maybe they're unable to change back, at least easily?

Then for Paramecias and Logias, I dunno, it seems easy to picture with stuff like say Doffy's DF, Absalom, or Smoker's. Doffy can turn his surroundings into strings. Absalom should be able to make everything around him invisible. (Like in Jojo!) While Smoker should be able to turn stuff around him into smoke, unless it's different for Logia users. Robin should theoretically be able to transform her environment into copies of her body parts, rather than said body parts merely sprouting from places.

But then you have powers like Pudding's Memory DF, or Chopper's (Unless the food he eats has been giving those forms all this time), and I have no idea what's supposed to happen there. Hell even Luffy's is somewhat confusing, though I guess it just simply makes anything he interacts with turn into rubber. Or maybe he doesn't have to touch it, and the environment turns into rubber from a certain radius? And then what about characters like Brook? Law? Bonney? Mr. 2? So confusing when you really think about it too much.

Honestly, Awakenings confuse me, but I've just been operating on that very few characters are ever going to actually unlock the ability, and it won't be characters that you'd struggle to picture to see happening. But in that case, it seems weird that Oda would come up with it, unless Doffy's description wasn't completely informative... Which I guess is probably the case, because being able to affect your surroundings simply doesn't seem like it would apply to each and every Paramecia user we've seen so far.

When Doffy used his awakening I just assumed it was a unique move of his fruit. I had completely forgotten about the awakened Zoan's in Impel Down so I thought it was just another high level move made by Doflamingo called Awakening. So then fans talk about DF Awakening and I'm like "what is that?" because I feel like there hasn't been much time devoted to the concept of what it even is.

Well it was foreshadowed I guess with the Awakened Zoan jailers back at Impel Down. For Zoan users, they basically get larger forms, and more stamina/endurance it seems, as well as a higher recovery rate apparently. I also found it interesting that they were already in their forms; maybe they're unable to change back, at least easily?

Then for Paramecias and Logias, I dunno, it seems easy to picture with stuff like say Doffy's DF, Absalom, or Smoker's. Doffy can turn his surroundings into strings. Absalom should be able to make everything around him invisible. (Like in Jojo!) While Smoker should be able to turn stuff around him into smoke, unless it's different for Logia users. Robin should theoretically be able to transform her environment into copies of her body parts, rather than said body parts merely sprouting from places.

But then you have powers like Pudding's Memory DF, or Chopper's (Unless the food he eats has been giving those forms all this time), and I have no idea what's supposed to happen there. Hell even Luffy's is somewhat confusing, though I guess it just simply makes anything he interacts with turn into rubber. Or maybe he doesn't have to touch it, and the environment turns into rubber from a certain radius? And then what about characters like Brook? Law? Bonney? Mr. 2? So confusing when you really think about it too much.

Honestly, Awakenings confuse me, but I've just been operating on that very few characters are ever going to actually unlock the ability, and it won't be characters that you'd struggle to picture to see happening. But in that case, it seems weird that Oda would come up with it, unless Doffy's description wasn't completely informative... Which I guess is probably the case, because being able to affect your surroundings simply doesn't seem like it would apply to each and every Paramecia user we've seen so far.

I'm betting Jack being able to fight for days on end on Zou without getting taken down is a foreshadowing of his Awakened Zoan state.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm betting Jack being able to fight for days on end on Zou without getting taken down is a foreshadowing of his Awakened Zoan state.

Eh, but that's not really anything new in One Piece. Ace and Jinbe fought for five days. Akainu and Aokiji fought for 10 days. It's not uncommon for the big dogs to fight for an extremely long period of time. Hell, even Luffy got his first long battle against Cracker, that lasted for eleven hours.

Problem with Awakening is how do you even know it's an awakening? Take the "awakened" Zoan's in Impel Down for instance. I don't remember them specifically mentioning awakening then? All I remember is some tough Zoan's courtesy of Sadie ran the place. We're talking about a series where inanimate objects can "eat" devil fruits. Whose to say those weren't just normal Zoan's but just frighteningly big? It's a series where a giant guy like Whitebeard actually isn't even a giant. So all this talk about awakening sounds like fan speculation. I could be wrong. It's been years since Impel Down. Almost 7? Holy shit.

LotusHD

Banned
Problem with Awakening is how do you even know it's an awakening? Take the "awakened" Zoan's in Impel Down for instance. I don't remember them specifically mentioning awakening then? All I remember is some tough Zoan's courtesy of Sadie ran the place. We're talking about a series where inanimate objects can "eat" devil fruits. Whose to say those weren't just normal Zoan's but just frighteningly big? It's a series where a giant guy like Whitebeard actually isn't even a giant. So all this talk about awakening sounds like fan speculation. I could be wrong. It's been years since Impel Down. Almost 7? Holy shit.

Crocodile actually literally referred to them as Awakened Zoan users, as well as listed the gist of their traits, hence why people have been calling them that.

This arc is very quickly becoming my favorite. Everything's on point, and Oda's art is even better than normal. His story-boarding/paneling has been just incredible lately - even when not uber-detailed, it just oozes personality and style. Sanji crying for Luffy, Sanji despairing, Brook, Luffy declaring he can't become pirate king without Sanji, Zhou smashing the ship, etc.

On top of the art, I'd argue the pacing as been the best since the New World. So many parts are in motion, and lately there hasn't been a single chapter that's seemed to drag or stall the plot.

Edit: The past few weeks I've had greater excitement for the next chapter than 'Gear 4'->Gear 4 Reveal.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

awakening is basically a hyper-refined and evolved form of power bestowed upon by devil fruits.

For paramecias (and possibly logias), awakening seems to be more or less terraforming - Crocodile's ability to turn the surroundings into sand, Punk hazard being a chaotic island of of both extreme hot and cold as a result of aokiji and akainu's battle, Doflamingo's ability to turn the ground and buildings of Dressrosa into strings, all of these abilities go beyond being a string man, or controlling sand, magma, and ice, or simply drain moisture, freeze water, or burn trees. It's changing the very nature of one's surroundings.

For Zoan types? Awakening seems to turn you into a monster, like the chimeras in Impel Down, or chopper's Monster Point (I suspect that when chopper awakens, he will be able to freely transform into Monster Point, without the rumble ball, without time limits, and without any drain to his stamina).

When luffy awakens his fruit, he may be able to not only rubberfy his surroundings: He may be able to make spacetime or the air itself beind and stretch (creating a sort of teleportation that allows him to counter someone like, say, Kizaru)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's just a cycle
lol I forgot I made that post. It still reigns true.

This is not confusing at all and will not mix up members of this thread in my mind. Is this some meta project about messing with people's minds?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
YOU CAN'T FOOL ME PUDDING

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
It was in the manga

Donflamingo was using it. The buildings and ground turned to strings

Blackhead

Redarse
Whitebeard really doesn't have hanger ons on his ship, Cat and Dog were retainers to Oden and left to follow Oden when he jumped ship and just by there appearance they were older then Shanks and Buggy, he also had no females on his main ship. Subordinate Captains are all old and experienced pirates from the NW.

Shanks and Buggy were both cabin boys/apprentice pirates on Roger ship but they were recruited way earlier even before Roger final journey to the NW and become PK and there skirmishes with WB and Garp. If they were gonna have cabin boys and such Momo and Chimney make more sense than Carrot.

I don't see any hanger ons staying for beyond the point of finishing whatever story ties they have (Kimemon and Law), I see Carrot being gone and on the alliance once Kaido is taken down
I see Strawhats thinking Carrot is gone and she stowsaway again
Over 30 pages in a week. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that it fueled by Pudding-ism.

At this rate, we'll be done with this OT by mid-February.

Let's dedicate it to her!

I think I hate this thread now.

No no, the 12th at the earliest.

Join the club...

The Pudding love is amusing for now, but let's be real; by the time OT3 comes along Pudding will be defeated. I thought Sanji/Strawhats were just going to sneak away in the middle of the night but it looks like we're headed for an all-out brawl at the wedding. There's Big Mom's family and the Vinsmokes but there's also going to be other powerful guests and they could pick a different side. Pudding is going to get smacked back down this arc. Can't wait to see her real crying face

Thud

lol I forgot I made that post. It still reigns true.

This is not confusing at all and will not mix up members of this thread in my mind. Is this some meta project about messing with people's minds?

I hope they don't change eyes.

Somehow the most infurating one is pudding winking.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
He's already awakened, no? See the discussion again here

Pudding is Sanji's official
future
waifu tho.
They are perfect to each other.

There's no connection there. Deep down Sanji knows it. I mean he couldn't even prepare her a meal he thought she'd like instead creating a box filled with items for his real crewmates. Pudding on her part has already shown that she's not just following Big Mom's orders but doesn't respect Sanji. Those trolling faces; goddam.

And Sanji is already gullible towards women but can you imagine being married to someone that can fool by acting and manipulate memories... That would never end well.

I'd be suitably impressed if Sanji turns these Ls around and at least make Pudding respect his thinking prowess/battle ability. I can't see them getting back to place where s/he have an interested marriage. (Unless that's Sanji's plan to troll Pudding by actually marrying her and staying alive haha)

What's Sanji got to lose at this point? He thought the Vinsmokes would let him live in peace with Pudding—nope, going to hold 'em hostage against Big Mom. He thought Big Mom would leave his friends alone—nope ready to kill em all. He thought Pudding was love—lol. He's got no excuse now and must go for broke and go down fighting. If he doesn't redeem himself this arc; if instead Jimbe or Carrot or Brooke or Luffy is the star of the arc, the Sanji character is irredeemably lost...

RalchAC

^^^
He's already awakened, no? See the discussion again here

There's no connection there. Deep down Sanji knows it. I mean he couldn't even prepare her a meal he thought she'd like instead creating a box filled with items for his real crewmates. Pudding on her part has already shown that she's not just following Big Mom's orders but doesn't respect Sanji. Those trolling faces; goddam.

And Sanji is already gullible towards women but can you imagine being married to someone that can fool by acting and manipulate memories... That would never end well.

I'd be suitably impressed if Sanji turns these Ls around and at least make Pudding respect his thinking prowess/battle ability. I can't see them getting back to place where s/he have an interested marriage. (Unless that's Sanji's plan to troll Pudding by actually marrying her and staying alive haha)

What's Sanji got to lose at this point? He thought the Vinsmokes would let him live in peace with Pudding—nope, going to hold 'em hostage against Big Mom. He thought Big Mom would leave his friends alone—nope ready to kill em all. He thought Pudding was love—lol. He's got no excuse now and must go for broke and go down fighting. If he doesn't redeem himself this arc; if instead Jimbe or Carrot or Brooke or Luffy is the star of the arc, the Sanji character is irredeemably lost...

Sanji needs to get his act together, I agree. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll kick Pudding ass, there can be worse ways to screw her. If she is really willing to escape, he could frustrate her plans or something.

The ideal outcome for me would be something like: after the traumatic events, he swears he'll never trust anything with a vagina again. Instead he'll say he'll just devote all his passion to Nami and Robin.

NSESN

The ideal outcome for me would be something like: after the traumatic events, he swears he'll never trust anything with a vagina again. Instead he'll say he'll just devote all his passion to Nami and Robin.

Please no. Sanji being devoted only for Nami and Robin would be terrible. He just need to move on from Pudding. Everyone have failures in love. If the Okama Island didn't break him, its not Pudding that will.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I hope pudding gets shut down hard. And that she is just left in a puddle of her own tears. Fuck pudding. Traitorous two-timing bastard.
Traitor implies that they were on the team than switched.

She is no traitor . She was never on sanji side in the first place. You just failed to see her true self

dabig2

When luffy awakens his fruit, he may be able to not only rubberfy his surroundings: He may be able to make spacetime or the air itself beind and stretch (creating a sort of teleportation that allows him to counter someone like, say, Kizaru)

That would be amusing. Rubber Space. I like it.

I'm hoping that he becomes perfectly elastic like Plastic Man from DC Comics. I want full shapeshifting powers, density control, and limitless malleability.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sanji needs to get his act together, I agree. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll kick Pudding ass, there can be worse ways to screw her. If she is really willing to escape, he could frustrate her plans or something.

Please no. Sanji being devoted only for Nami and Robin would be terrible. He just need to move on from Pudding. Everyone have failures in love. If the Okama Island didn't break him, its not Pudding that will.

Okama Island made Sanji starved for 'real' (ugh) women contact. He was even worse immediately after coming out.

don't know about Sanji never trust a 'vagina'. please no. Forget about devoting himself to Nami/Robin; first he has to win back Nami's respect. At first she thought he sacrificed himself to save the Minks et al but after what he did to Luffy, she can see it was out of weakness (contrast with what Brooke, who didn't witness that confrontation, still has to say about Sanji). Usopp had to take on the Sogeking persona to win back the crew's trust. Maybe we'll see the return of Mr Prince. Either way, Sanji needs to get his act together now. Or at least before Nami makes it to Zoro and reports his ass

Ray Down

Banned
Awakening is basically an ascension level of the Devil Fruit, what happens when you truely master it.

For Zoans, seemingly increasees physical capabilities, defenses and will to stand.

Paramecia from the two so far allows them to extend there powers through other objects and gain logia like powers and aspects with Dolfa and Gild.

Logia we have no idea, people speculate all the changes and weather shit on PH is a result of Sakazuki and Aokiji awakened powers but that hasn't been confirmed.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
All we know about it.

Doffy goes on to say that an awakened devil fruit ability affects not only the individual, but their surroundings. He then proceeds to turn the world into string.

What's not clear is if this is a definition for only paramecia fruits or what, since these supposedly-awakened zoans are just Bigger and Tougher versions of themselves. It'd explain Punk Hazard being frozen/aflame if it applied to logias, though. Admirals are top of the list when it comes to likelyhood of being woke.

[Edit] ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom