• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sanji will be fed first. Six bullets to the back on page one of next issue.

Luffy will look to the only competent cook he knows that doesn't charge a fortune for their services and the next crew member will be Pudding.

RomanceDawn

Another reminder of just how crazy the worldbuilding in One Piece is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSHioZ9IPOY

Thats pretty interesting but a few corrections. There is A moon in the One Piece world. The people of Ohara built a geocentric model of the solar system which has the earth at its center. We've had a lot of moon imagery, talks about the moon and even a few characters visiting the moon. If there was more than one moon we would have seen something more by now during night time scenes.

And the Grandline does not run along the equivalent of the equator on their planet and the Red Line isn't on their prime meridian. The Red and Grand lines make more of an X instead of a +. Thats why the blues can be labeled North, South, East, West. The Red Line isn't on their prime meridian.

That was the old way of thinking.

Ogodei

Thats pretty interesting but a few corrections. There is A moon in the One Piece world. The people of Ohara built a geocentric model of the solar system which has the earth at its center. We've had a lot of moon imagery, talks about the moon and even a few characters visiting the moon. If there was more than one moon we would have seen something more by now during night time scenes.

And the Grandline does not run along the equivalent of the equator on their planet and the Red Line isn't on their prime meridian. The Red and Grand lines make more of an X instead of a +. Thats why the blues can be labeled North, South, East, West. The Red Line isn't on their prime meridian.

That was the old way of thinking.

I'd still argue that the geography makes no sense (even within the rules we're presented). The Grand Line is too wide compared to the Red Line, it and the Calm Belt would take up too much space.

Equally, Oda's been super vague about distance and the spatial relationships between islands. We have some clear distances (like a week by ship between Zou and Whole Cake Island, or two weeks by ship from Dressrosa to Zou), but otherwise they are simply not clarified.

RomanceDawn

I'd still argue that the geography makes no sense (even within the rules we're presented). The Grand Line is too wide compared to the Red Line, it and the Calm Belt would take up too much space.

Equally, Oda's been super vague about distance and the spatial relationships between islands. We have some clear distances (like a week by ship between Zou and Whole Cake Island, or two weeks by ship from Dressrosa to Zou), but otherwise they are simply not clarified.

I think spacial distance is going to stay unrevealed from now until forever. Like if you look at the color walk maps of the East Blue you can see here and there where each island and town is. With the Grand Line Oda drew strips of maps as if they were ripped from a larger map to show the Straw Hats progression.

I imagine actually telling the distances between the islands of the Grand Line would cause too much trouble. Kinda of like when Hodi's water shot flew a very specific distance across Fishman Island but then everyone did the math since we knew exactly how far down Fishman Island is from the surface and the math just did not check out. Later on during the actual volume release there was no specific number as to how far the water shot flew.

Being too precise with that information is probably far more trouble than its worth. At least until the very end of the series I'd say but Oda would need all kinds of brains with him to make sure the math and geography completely check out.

Veelk

Banned
I'm scared. I think this is finally the turning point that the manga stops shitting on Sanji. I don't want to cross that bridge yet. I'm not ready.

Tizoc

What are japanese legends or myths/folklore about the moon? I am sure they have a few but indont know all the details about them :x

Also what exactly did sanji gain from
Being sent to iva's island again?

LotusHD

Banned
That will take more work... and I'm lazy.

Anyway what are the predictions for this chapter?

Luffy gets fed. Tears overfloweth from their reunion.

In the meantime, the rest of the SH crew are searching for Luffy and Sanji. Reiju comes across Pudding and chat about the upcoming wedding, but voicing internally their real thoughts about one another.

Bobbin appears, and gets knocked out again.

Chapter ends with Sanji telling Luffy he wants to save his sister.

Lol that is way too much for one chapter now that I think about it, but oh well

That will take more work... and I'm lazy.

Anyway what are the predictions for this chapter?

Going to go out on a limb and say we don't pick back up with Luffy/Sanji until next week, and this chapter is just focused on other plotlines (Chopper, Carrot, et all, with maybe some scenes with Big Mom or other members of her family). That seems like something Oda would do.

Veelk

Banned
It is, but at least Zoro will probably dunk on him when they get to Wano.

Zoro: hey guys, whats up. I mostly have everything here under control in Wano, just need Luffy to take out Kaido. I guessing Sanji was the same once you got to him, anything less than emperor class, he should handle. Oh, btw, I want you to meet someone. This is Wai Fu, she is a princess here and we kinda fell in love. She's beautiful, kind, and is hiding no dark and nefarious intentions. I've also gained the respect and admiration of the locals. Oh, and you wouldn't believe it. I didn't mention them to you yet, but I actually just got a letter from my family. It was pretty heartfelt about how proud they were and how much they loved me. Weird how they knew to send it to Wano, but hey. Anyway, enough about me, how's Sanji? I give him shit, but I'm sure he's had as much good fortune as I had.

We can only hope.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What are japanese legends or myths/folklore about the moon? I am sure they have a few but indont know all the details about them :x

Also what exactly did sanji gain from
Being sent to iva's island again?

Moon Rabbits.

Lol that is way too much for one chapter now that I think about it, but oh well

This isn't Bleach, you can't do the "too much happen it's fake" joke.

Ray Down

Banned
Spoilers so far:

Ch. 856 Liar

Mirror World
Chopper and the others realize that Sanji has disappeared from inside the castle.
Nami guesses that both Luffy and Sanji could be at the place that they fought.
Chopper starts to cry after hearing that Luffy and Sanji fought.
Jinbe warns that they should hurry and leave soon before the wedding ceremony tomorrow.

Jinbe: "You guys came together with Pekoms, right?"
Chopper: "Is he safe!?"
Jinbe: "To begin with, I should inform you that he is safe. However, that guy got embroiled in a conspiracy and was attempted to be made shark food.

Sweet City
A gunshot can be heard in the rain.

Bobbin: "Damn it... you guys..."

Bobbin falls over

6th floor Baum (I don't know what this word means).
The Vinsmokes are all drinking.
The barmaids are all passed out.
They are celebrating that they have Big Mom's backing due to Sanji.
Town outskirts
Luffy awakens to the smell of the bento.

Sanji: "If you can eat, eat up."

The bento had been dropped and become soggy due to the rain.
Luffy chows down like its delicious-looking.

Luffy: "Delicioussssss!!
Sanji: "Liar."

Sanji warns Luffy about trying to leave after he finishes the bento.
He tells a resistant Luffy that there are 3 reasons why he can't leave with him.

1. He insulted and wounded his own captain.
2. The people of Baratie's lives are currently taken hostage.
3. The family that shares his blood is currently going to be all killed. He can't run away and leave them to that fate.

After Sanji is finished explaining his feelings and reasoning, Luffy punches him.

After Sanji is finished explaining his feelings and reasoning, Luffy punches him.

Luffy: "TELL ME YOUR TRUE FEELINGS!!!"

A crying Sanji: "I want to... return to the Sunny-Go!!!"

While he's crying, Sanji explains that he wants to save those bastards that he doesn't think of as family.

Luffy: "...OK! That's your decision! We're all here for you! We'll destroy that ceremony!!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still dont get the whole 'New World' thing. They made a big deal about crossing the Grand Line and how dangerous and risky it was. However there seem to normal people living in normal towns all over the New World. How did they even get there?

East Blue citizens said the same about Paradise.
"Horrible place that's nothing more than a pirate graveyard"
Normal people living in normal towns.

The legends are greatly exaggerated.

Ray Down

Banned
Concerning spoilers:

That awkward moment when you legit forgot Capone was a thing...

e2d9242dd7b26fe18fc6b5c3e17090f9.jpg

Veelk

Banned

It's not much, but I'll take it.

While he's crying, Sanji explains that he wants to save those bastards that he doesn't think of as family.

Eh?

I can get Reiju, sure, but the rest of them?

On the other hand, I know the alternative is "I need to save the girl!" even if in this case it happened to be his sister.

Still, I can't help but feel this reason is particularly contrived. We were just talking about how the strawhats don't have a real reason to stay. I could get Sanji wanting to stay for Reiju alone, and the strawhats staying for Sanji. But staying for his sociopathic brothers is just odd.

And I'm gonna be mad if Oda pulls the "And their hearts grew 3 sizes that day" bullshit here. If Sanji wants to save them, fine, but don't change their character because of that. "Oh, you saved us? Cool, thanks I guess, we're still gonna kick you in the dick tho."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom