• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok why does she look so weird there

I think it might be the lips. they look.... off

Looks pretty much the same.

tumblr_onmtqoPs8Q1vo69elo1_400.png

Veelk

Banned
Maybe I'm wrong, but the anime shot of her picture is a wider frame than her manga panel, so her face looks a little too wide.

That's definitely part of it, but it's also present in the manga. Though to a greatly lesser extent. For example, you see a pink tint in the anime, but in the manga it's just black and white like always.

But it's really the eyes. They're suddenly drawn in this stark detail, when other characters eyes (the males anyway) are just dots. Nami's and Robins aren't especially bad since they're just dots with circles around them. But when Oda gives the 'beauty' effect, he makes their eyes have their disproportionate amount of detail, which is meant to be attractive but it just looks alien to me.

Also, Oda's "pretty girl" faces seem to be of them looking worried or sad. I remember complaining that Hancock's 'cute face' is her expressing insecurity or demureness instead of her usual confidence, and in that photo...I mean, what expression is that supposed to even be? She looks like she is trying to remember something important and is worried if she's forgotten it. But she knows this photo actually to attract Sanji to her. Maybe it's just a japanese thing, but it's never going to not be odd to me that they seem to find girls attractive if they look like they're vaguely uncomfortable. I mean, I'm not saying it can't happen or that it's inappropriate, just...odd.

Stark eye detail is a shoujo manga trademark, so I would place that as an influence.

Check out the og dragonball manga; Bulma's eyes were always drawn with MUCH more detail than the guys.

latest

dabig2

Also, Oda's "pretty girl" faces seem to be of them looking worried or sad. I remember complaining that Hancock's 'cute face' is her expressing insecurity or demureness instead of her usual confidence, and in that photo...I mean, what expression is that supposed to even be? She looks like she is trying to remember something important and is worried if she's forgotten it. But she knows this photo actually to attract Sanji to her. Maybe it's just a japanese thing, but it's never going to not be odd to me that they seem to find girls attractive if they look like they're vaguely uncomfortable. I mean, I'm not saying it can't happen or that it's inappropriate, just...odd.

As a knowledgeable man of Japanese culture, it's Japanese as hell. Then again, I'm aslo drunk off my ass. But I've watched a lot of Japanese anime to maybe know this to be kinda true maybe. It's just a cultural thing.

She looks vulnerable and someone you want to protect and that makes her even more desirable. Now that I think about it for more than a sober second, that's not just a japanese thing. I don't know. Fuck. Where's Carrot?

Early Dragonball looks so amazing.

I really like the look of a lot of shonen in their earlier stages. One Piece, Naruto, and even Bleach just had a very distinct look in their beginnings that the creators slowly deviated from over time. Nothing in One Piece over the last decade has quite captured the look of the East Blue Saga.

20130125212118East_Blue_Saga.png

The characters felt stretchier. The action even had a different feel. It's not necessarily better but it is something I miss ever now and then.

Kornflayx

I reread Dressrosa over the last weeks and Oda does a much better job of keeping Big Mom a unique threat than he ever did Doflamingo. He was great when he was teased throughout the series but kinda felt underwhelming to me when his arc actually came.

With Big Mom, Oda throws in enough scenes that really underscore the threat BM poses to everything. Every time BM is in a scene you really get the feel that she's someone special who should not be messed with. It also helps that his artwork is onpoint for the Whole Cake arc.

I'm enjoying OP more than I did for a long time

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I reread Dressrosa over the last weeks and Oda does a much better job of keeping Big Mom a unique threat than he ever did Doflamingo. He was great when he was teased throughout the series but kinda felt underwhelming to me when his arc actually came.

With Big Mom, Oda throws in enough scenes that really underscore the threat BM poses to everything. Every time BM is in a scene you really get the feel that she's someone special who should not be messed with. It also helps that his artwork is onpoint for the Whole Cake arc.

I'm enjoying OP more than I did for a long time
DD just cam off as Crocodile part 2 while not being as good as Crocodile and having a substantially weaker arc. His plan goals and every seemed a bit nonsense in comparisons to Crocodiles which were fairly straight forward. He had the potential to be a really good villain but it was very samey and dragged a shit ton without the payoff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Big Mom comes off as a threat too big for anyone to face. A force of nature.

Doffy reminds me less of Crocodile (even though the whole situation is just a what if no one was there to prevent Alabasta from falling into complete chaos) but more of Rob Lucci. Crocodile (and Enel after him) is someone stronger than Luffy that Luffy checks because of his nature while Doffy is more like someone so strong and experienced that only Luffy can beat him because only Luffy is strong enough, if that makes sense. He keeps coming up with all these bs string powers, strings that can't be cut through, strings that stitch up organs, etc, etc.

Kornflayx

DD just cam off as Crocodile part 2 while not being as good as Crocodile and having a substantially weaker arc. His plan goals and every seemed a bit nonsense in comparisons to Crocodiles which were fairly start forward. He hd the potential to be a really good villain but it was very samey and dragged a shit ton without the payoff.

Also didn't help that his great speeches came either before or right after his arc. Which is weird because that made him special in the first place.

I always wanted Dofy to make Luffy fight a friend with his string powers. But that was rendered impossible with Gear 4

DD just cam off as Crocodile part 2 while not being as good as Crocodile and having a substantially weaker arc. His plan goals and every seemed a bit nonsense in comparisons to Crocodiles which were fairly straight forward. He had the potential to be a really good villain but it was very samey and dragged a shit ton without the payoff.

Doffy is a better villain than Crocodile. When you notice how over-the-top he executed his plans, Crocodile is pretty much a James Bond villain. Both of their goals were straightforward but the way they went about achieving them were different (Croc - wanted to create a military state with the power of Pluton, Doffy - wanted to dismantle and destroy the world nobles and their institutions).

Crocodile (and Enel after him) is someone stronger than Luffy that Luffy checks because of his nature while Doffy is more like someone so strong and experienced that only Luffy can beat him because only Luffy is strong enough, if that makes sense. .

Luffy wasn't strong enough to beat Doffy on his own. He needed a lot of people helping him just to stay in the game.

Veelk

Banned
The way I see it, Doflamingo is the only thing that's truly good about Dressrosa, but he's really, really damn good.

Everything else was inferior to Alabasta. His minions suck. I got tired of the look of the city. The toy thing was lame and Sugar's powers feel contrived. It pretty much squandered the tournament aspect, something I was looking forward to, first by making it an unfocused brawl and then by having Luffy pretty much hand it off to Sabo. Bartolomeo feels like a cruel joke. Though I'm sure it will read better in collected form, the pacing is still horrific between all the gladiators who need their screentime and the bird cage shit.

Alabasta is one of the few arcs that came dangerously close to making me care about the conflict. This is mostly due to Vivi. Dressrosa, meanwhile, has Rebecca. Rebecca is to Vivi the way Sanji is to Zoro. The manga tries to position the former to be equal to that of the latter, but they aren't.

Ogodei

I really like the look of a lot of shonen in their earlier stages. One Piece, Naruto, and even Bleach just had a very distinct look in their beginnings that the creators slowly deviated from over time. Nothing in One Piece over the last decade has quite captured the look of the East Blue Saga.

20130125212118East_Blue_Saga.png

The characters felt stretchier. The action even had a different feel. It's not necessarily better but it is something I miss ever now and then.

I was never a fan of the lanky look of the early manga and anime. Aside from the ridiculous curves on the women characters nowadays, i much prefer the modern style (and i'm not opposed to cheesecake at all, my beef with the hourglass figure is the waist is way too thin, Nami should snap in half at any given time...)

Verelios

The way I see it, Doflamingo is the only thing that's truly good about Dressrosa, but he's really, really damn good.

Everything else was inferior to Alabasta. His minions suck. I got tired of the look of the city. The toy thing was lame and Sugar's powers feel contrived. It pretty much squandered the tournament aspect, something I was looking forward to, first by making it an unfocused brawl and then by having Luffy pretty much hand it off to Sabo. Bartolomeo feels like a cruel joke. Though I'm sure it will read better in collected form, the pacing is still horrific between all the gladiators who need their screentime and the bird cage shit.

Alabasta is one of the few arcs that came dangerously close to making me care about the conflict. This is mostly due to Vivi. Dressrosa, meanwhile, has Rebecca. Rebecca is to Vivi the way Sanji is to Zoro. The manga tries to position the former to be equal to that of the latter, but they aren't.
I was agreeing with everything you said until this point gave me pause. Equating Sanji to Rebecca's irrelevance? I had a giant post drawn up to explain why you're wrong and should seek enlightenment for your blasphemy but thought better of it. Next week's chapter will say it all for me. Or next, next week. This arc.

Shame

I was never a fan of the lanky look of the early manga and anime. Aside from the ridiculous curves on the women characters nowadays, i much prefer the modern style (and i'm not opposed to cheesecake at all, my beef with the hourglass figure is the waist is way too thin, Nami should snap in half at any given time...)
"Im not opposed to cheesecake at all" underrated comment I laughed

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Doffy is a better villain than Crocodile. When you notice how over-the-top he executed his plans, Crocodile is pretty much a James Bond villain. Both of their goals were straightforward but the way they went about achieving them were different (Croc - wanted to create a military state with the power of Pluton, Doffy - wanted to dismantle and destroy the world nobles and their institutions).

Luffy wasn't strong enough to beat Doffy on his own. He needed a lot of people helping him just to stay in the game.

Doffy's plans were the opposite of straight forward. Even your description alone makes it sound like a convoluted mess and that was your attempt to simplify it. He makes bond villains plans feel like tick tack toe.

Red Fire

Doffy was a great villain
More so if u compare to the other post timeskip villains up until that point, but then again it's not hard to be a better villain than hody and gangster gastino

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gastino is the true hero of this series, what are you talking about. Definitely deserves memes more than Botox Monk Urouge.

Chapter soon. Giveittome.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom