• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

IEN5Rv1.jpg
so is that a super gigantic tree or something in the center of the island?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Now THAT'S a cliffhanger. Going into the legendary Elbaf in two weeks.
Also, Viz needs to realize that Elbaf is "Fable" spelled backwards and their "Elbaph" spelling is stupid and wrong.

This does cast some possibility that Big Mom won't survive if we're getting her flashback. But who knows, she might continue to be a threat after this.

Maybe it's the Treasure Tree Adam?

bjork

This does cast some possibility that Big Mom won't survive if we're getting her flashback. But who knows, she might continue to be a threat after this

I'll be surprised if she ends up dying, because non-flashback deaths are rare. But I could see it as Bege trying to take out BM and pin it on the SHs, so maybe? Tough to say.

Or, since she's getting a flashback, BM is the new crew member.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'll be surprised if she ends up dying, because non-flashback deaths are rare. But I could see it as Bege trying to take out BM and pin it on the SHs, so maybe? Tough to say.

Or, since she's getting a flashback, BM is the new crew member.

Big Mom for nakama!

Big Mom flashback was not something I expected to be seeing right now. Curious to see where that goes.

This does cast some possibility that Big Mom won't survive if we're getting her flashback. But who knows, she might continue to be a threat after this.

Either that or it's really setting her up to play a big role when the crew goes to Elbaf later on.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nice catch, that might be Adam like others have said

turmoil

Banned
So I think that BM is a (small) giant form Elbaf, maybe from an important family/faction and she thinks that she has a legitimate claim to the throne. Mother caramel being her mother/guardian in her infancy.

If this is the full BM flashback and not a teasing, we should learn a little about Roger's age as she would had been one of the rising stars back then.

She better awakes the second the flashback ends to kick Bege's ass, she shouldn't be injured by such a stupid weakness.

lbsa

Has anyone noticed how Katakuri does almost all the fighting with luffy/bege/jinbe while Smoothie is nowhere to be seen? Like shouldn't she be more concerned about what's happening with BM, i mean she is a sweet commander after all.

daveo42

Banned
Good fucking god this arc went from amazing to insane. Badass Sanji showing pops who's boss. Bege throwing down some real badass gansta shit. ELBAF!

I assume this confirms that Big Mom is half giant?

LotusHD

Banned
Has anyone noticed how Katakuri does almost all the fighting with luffy/bege/jinbe while Smoothie is nowhere to be seen? Like shouldn't she be more concerned about what's happening with BM, i mean she is a sweet commander after all.

Lmao, I've started to realize everyone is like "Where the fuck is Smoothie"

Smoothie was in this chapter though, freaking out.

Good fucking god this arc went from amazing to insane. Badass Sanji showing pops who's boss. Bege throwing down some real badass gansta shit. ELBAF!

I assume this confirms that Big Mom is half giant?

Nothing is confirmed.

Ray Down

Banned
I liked the chapter. Sanji looked cool at last. And we could finally understand why he wanted to save his family, after all he had gone through when he was a child. Hope to see Reiju's full potential after the flashback. A Nami-Reiju dynamic duo should be awesome.

And finally Chopper and the rabbit are starting to do something that justify their existence.

Edit: many of us theorized that Shanks is in Elbaf, is the protector, or at least that once they arrive to Elbaf, Shanks will be there. With this flashback, perhaps we should start discarding this theory, or probably not yet.
Why would Elbaf be align with Shanks, they are the strongest nation. They might as well be isolated like Wano.

Why would Nami and Reiju have interactions?

It's because of Chopper they had mirror world access.

I've seen people ask about Smoothie for awhile so it's nice that she tanked the scream and showed up.

The Sanji panel is another example of Oda's ability to craft really impactful compositions when he wants to have a big punctuated moment.

Chopper's face to Reiju was great. I liked that image of Carrot charging up her electric Socker Boppers.

jokkir

Big Mom is a half giant and got kicked out of Elbaf and just wants to get back in. That's why she wanted Lola to marry the giant so she can possibly see Mama Caramel again.

Ray Down

Banned
Big Mom is a half giant and got kicked out of Elbaf and just wants to get back in. That's why she wanted Lola to marry the giant so she can possibly see Mama Caramel again.
Yeah hopefully we get some Lola in this flashback.

Will hopefully end Greg theory about that bit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
2 questions as I'm at work and can't easily check the answers:

1. So how old is Big Mom right now, aka that 62 or 63 years ago flashback would put her at what age?

2. Did the Rumbar pirates get taken out at this point yet or are they still sailing along singing songs?

Thanks in advance.

Your pal,

Kave
Vice-Captain of the Blackleg faction

Anteater

nah only thing useful about the vinsmokes are their fighting capability, I'm looking forward to their fights, even though those fucks won't redeem themselves I think at the end it just boils down to what Judge will do, his children couldn't care less and will follow his orders

caliph95

1. So how old is Big Mom right now, aka that 62 or 63 years ago flashback would put her at what age?

2. Did the Rumbar pirates get taken out at this point yet or are they still sailing along singing songs?

Thanks in advance.

Your pal,

Kave

2. they have been long dead its part of Brooks origin

Ray Down

Banned

Thanks in advance.

Your pal,

Kave

1. 5, SBS said she is 68.

2. No, this should be before they were even formed.

Ray Down

Banned
nah only thing useful about the vinsmokes are their fighting capability, I'm looking forward to their fights, even though those fucks won't redeem themselves I think at the end it just boils down to what Judge will do, his children couldn't care less and will follow his orders

That's why I think it can be mucked up, Judge is a wildcard that can just make a stupid order and fuck the whole plan up and the other siblings can't do shit about it.

Really they don't even need to be giving them the suit, but trying to get out of their.

turmoil

Banned
1, 2 and 4 will start getting emotions thanks to the power of Sanji's Fraternal Love™ I think

I even think they will get their own talents/interests

1 will be a painter
2 a poet
and 4 will go to law school

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh man I got hype for a second that maybe we'd see Dorry and Brogy but then remembered their battle started over 100 years ago.

Ahhh I'm too hype for Elbaf!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
brook is still older than big mom right?

lmao i love how old he is, he's basically "oh I remember those little kids back then" when we're talking about the Yonko and Rogers
IIRC, Brook is 90 years old. He was 38 when he died. 88 when luffy picked him up. 90 after the timeskip.

I think the only named characters we've seen that are older than him are Dr Kureha and several giants.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I was going to reply how it's corny because sociopaths don't actually lose out on much since they find their own ways of joy. Or, if they can't, it doesn't really bother them too much, since they don't need any emotional stimulation. The other brothers might never be able to smile like Sanji, but Sanji's never gonna be able to smile like his brothers either. So you know, it's a give and take.

But after thinking about it, I decided that you're actually right. This kind of calls back to how dreams are supposed to be sources of power in OP. OP isn't as explicit or blatant about it as Fairytale or the like, but it's still true. The 3 brothers, without their emotions, are incapable of having dreams. They don't really care about anything, not even their death, so they're pretty much come what may.

Sanji does have a dream, and he draws strength from that. And the difference is in their power. The Vinsmokes as they are need their raid suits to even be a threat in this scenerio. Meanwhile, Sanji's Haki is such that they can't tell whats happening at the wedding and he doesn't need anything extra to compete with Big Mom's crew.

I'm not sure if that was precisely what you were getting at, but I do agree that Sanji being the passionate one meaning he's ultimately the stronger one is thematically resonant with the series.

They're not sociopaths though. They're humans who have been genetically engineered to not have emotions.

They don't feel fear at death.

They don't feel joy at being loved by their father.

They don't feel pride at being royalty.

They don't resent Sanji for being the black sheep.

Behind their facial expressions, there's no warmth, fear, frustration, sadness, embarrassment, nothing.

If you take out the Big Mom scream, Sanji freeing the Vinsmokes like a boss, and the peek at Elbaf at the end, this chapter was underwhelming.

I'm excited about this flashback, though. Not just because we'll see glimpses of Elbaf, but we're finally going to learn more about Mother Carmel and the true reason for the schism between Big Mom and the Giants.

How much you wanna bet most of Elbaf's kingdoms reside on top that giant tree, which is definitely Yggdrasil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom