• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Sanji doesn't take his fighting skills as priority. Even with that, he is arguably at the same level as Zoro, like Oda himself said.

1. He didn't eat a devil fruit.
2. He doesn't use weapons.
3. He doesn't use his hands.
4. He is a cook and rarely trains.
5. He doesn't want to be the Pirate King or the best Swordsman, he just wants to find All Blue.

Basically, while Luffy and Zoro dedicate their lives to be strong, Sanji being strong is just a hobby for him, like a force of nature.

Guys, Sanji doesn't take his fighting skills as priority. Even with that, he is arguably at the same level as Zoro, like Oda himself said.

1. He didn't eat a devil fruit.
2. He doesn't use weapons.
3. He doesn't use his hands.
4. He is a cook and rarely trains.
5. He doesn't want to be the Pirate King or the best Swordsman, he just wants to find All Blue.

Basically, while Luffy and Zoro dedicate their lives to be strong, Sanji being strong is just a hobby for him, like a force of nature.
The sheer fact that sanji gives himself a damn handicap(2 if you count he won't fight women) and STILL is on the level of luffy and zoro says alot

He's...not on Luffy's level. Not even remotely close. He's above that moss head though no problemo.
Nah when I say on the level I don't mean like legit on his level lol even I'm not that crazy can he tussle with him? Yup! Win? Hell no.

Which begs the question.... LuffyvsSanji&Zoro???

If Sanji and Zoro can resist the gear 4th time limit, they would definitely beat Luffy afterwards.
Hmmm I think they could because *fanboy hat off.

I'd imagine luffy would need gear 4th on just zoro alone honestly 1v1 they both get wrecked by gear 4th but together and given the short time and the repercussions of the form yea they'd win.

Sanji hasn't been shown to use Armament Haki yet so I'm not really sure how to gauge him on the strength level in the New World so far when both Luffy and Zoro have.

Ray Down

Banned
Sanji hasn't been shown to use Armament Haki yet so I'm not really sure how to gauge him on the strength level in the New World so far when both Luffy and Zoro have.

We still don't know how the rest will develop Haki yet.

Usopp would be just fine with Observation and I would love if they turned Nami gag with Luffy into her having innate Armament.

I'm not expecting his to be as strong since oda said he specializes in observation (makes sense given his character). He can use it tho if that's what you mean.

RomanceDawn

War Lord Crocodile wanted Zoro in his crew.

Emperor Big Mom wants Sanji in her crew.

Usopp would be just fine with Observation and I would love if they turned Nami gag with Luffy into her having innate Armament.

This actually will probably be explained with love. According to Garp, there is no defense against a fist of love. The chapter in which that was revealed was titled Fist Of Love. In an SBS when asked if it was Haki or Love that hurt Luffy, Oda replied that it was love.

Ray Down

Banned
Nah when I say on the level I don't mean like legit on his level lol even I'm not that crazy can he tussle with him? Yup! Win? Hell no.

Which begs the question.... LuffyvsSanji&Zoro???

Luffy could beat both Zoro and Sanji one one one but together the two would be a bit much for him, unless Zoro and Sanji get distracted with there annual pissing contest.

And HOLY SHIT Jake and Sherry Final Boss sequence is so fucking dumb.

But this

215629_packshot_l.jpg

You get that steelbook with a pre-order of the regular version too though :)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The Dragon's Claw was originally created to counter/catch the Fist of Love, wasn't it? :)

I only watch the anime so sorry if I'm out of line coming into this discussion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robin could use it already since she got to hang out with the Revolutionary Army during the time skip and hasn't been in much of a fight since then. Franky with Armament Haki would be be OP
heh
as hell.

I only watch the anime so sorry if I'm out of line coming into this discussion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robin could use it already since she got to hang out with the Revolutionary Army during the time skip and hasn't been in much of a fight since then. Franky with Armament Haki would be be OP
heh
as hell.

Franky doesn't need it. He will build himself Seastone-coated fists as soon as the Strawhats meet Vegapunk.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Its an illusion. People think its all about strength mono. Puts on sanji fanboy hat...

Who's the smartest? Sanji
Who's second fastest sanji!
Outside of battle who's more dependable? Sanji
Who's worth 1000 men? Sanji!
I rest my case good day Sol!! This is why you are the imposter duval dismissed
Who submitted to the wil of a yonko? Sanji
Who was the coward ? Sanji
Who needs a rescue? Sanji
Who has family problems? Sanji

Who submitted to the wil of a yonko? Sanji
Who was the coward ? Sanji
Who needs a rescue? Sanji
Who has family problems? Sanji
Who submitted? Apoo,drake,Capone idk about sanji

Who was a coward? Chopper,nami and Brook for getting him in that situation he was fine

Who needs a rescue? Right now luffy and co because luffy is dying,they're hungry and Germa 66 is in front of them.

Who has family problem's? Yup sanji.

Hey guys! I haven't been posting on GAF much this year; haven't made a single post in One Piece GAF all year in fact, but I might start posting a little again. I used to be the no. 1 poster in the old thread, which was a bit crazy.

I see that Veelk is pretty much gone too, but the old boys Cloud, Blackleg and Imperial are still here. Cool to see you again, guys.

The last ten or so chapters of One Piece sure have taken a bit of an odd route, but it's been really intriguing with lots of interesting information! Got Burning Blood on pre-order too, so see you on PS4, bros.
Hey you're a member again! Missed you dude, get back in here.

We all ps4 for one piece in here? We gotta get a tourney going.
Sanji,Koala and law ftw

Played the demo...maaaaan fighting logias is fun. Trying to anticipate when they'll turn tangible
So down. I should be getting it too.

Ray Down

Banned
This actually will probably be explained with love. According to Garp, there is no defense against a fist of love. The chapter in which that was revealed was titled Fist Of Love. In an SBS when asked if it was Haki or Love that hurt Luffy, Oda replied that it was love.

AWW

damn near every single character in one piece has serious family problems

Luffy: Daddy left him seemingly with big scary beaty grandpa, non blood brother Ace died before his eyes.
Zoro: Orphan I think
Nami: Parents either orphaned her or they died, adopted mother Bellmere has lead bullet in her head.
Usopp: Dad abandoned him to go play pirate, mother dead
Sanji: Hates his family father figure lost leg
Chopper: Parents pretty much left him cause of nose
Robin: EVERYONE IS DEAD
Franky: Dad a pirate, his own creations lead to the death of his master/father figure
Brook: Dead? and the Rumbar Pirate situation.

Again Zoro and Sanji have the weakest family problems

BLS, you're Sanji love is about as unhealthy as Sanji's gynephila.
One can never love too much sanji veelk. Sanji keeps this manga together, without sanji the strawhats would be dead

AWW

Luffy: Daddy left him seemingly with big scary beaty grandpa, non blood brother Ace died before his eyes.
Nami: Parents either orphaned her or they died, adopted mother Bellmere has lead bullet in her head.
Franky: Dad a pirate, his own creations lead to the death of his master/father figure

I wouldn't say this just yet

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Give it time and we'll see the Vinsmokes true nature.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wonder if Franky's dad will ever become relevant, even in a flashback somehow

I think it's just a gag for visual comical purpose and Oda won't bother explaining it. Sanji could also cause damage to Luffy when he was pissed even before having haki.

I wonder if Franky's dad will ever become relevant, even in a flashback somehow

I think he will appear as a pirate in the future.

Veelk

Banned
I think it's just a gag for visual comical purpose and Oda won't bother explaining it. Sanji could also cause damage to Luffy when he was pissed even before having haki.

Here's what I don't get about the "it's a gag" excuse.

You have a thing that happens in the manga, and fans question why. The author gives an answer, and fans shrug it off as 'it's just a gag'.

But emotions have been shown to be a tangible force of change within the manga. It brought Merry to life. Perona's depression ghost can bring down powerful warriors like Zoro, etc. Many of Luffy's victories are accredited to his willpower, including when he was sick in Impel Down. They're verifiable events that happen in the manga and affect the course of the plot.

And merely because an event is exaggerated doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I mean, the way Luffy looks like a shriveled up leper right now, he went to being like that in like the course of a few minutes, and he'll likely snap back to normal after he gets medicine or rest or whatever.

The point I'm getting at is that this is exactly the kind of manga that an explanation as asinine as "Love hurts more than Haki" would be an actual reason. Sure, it's a gag. But why does it being a gag preclude it from happening, particularly in THIS manga that runs on silliness.

And merely because an event is exaggerated doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I mean, the way Luffy looks like a shriveled up leper right now, he went to being like that in like the course of a few minutes, and he'll likely snap back to normal after he gets medicine or rest or whatever.

The point I'm getting at is that this is exactly the kind of manga that an explanation as asinine as "Love hurts more than Haki" would be an actual reason. Sure, it's a gag. But why does it being a gag preclude it from happening, particularly in THIS manga that runs on silliness.

I don't remember any time when Luffy got hit by Nami or Sanji people around him reacting: "wow, he is made of rubber, how did you do that?". In the same chapter Fist of Love Sanji is the one who gets surprised and questions why Garp was able to do that (ironically he already did the same thing (visually) in Skypiea and witnessed Nami doing that many times).

That's why it seems like a gag and not a "real" damage. Unless there is a big incoherence on Oda's part.

Veelk

Banned
I don't remember any time when Luffy got hit by Nami or Sanji people around him reacting: "wow, he is made of rubber, how did you do that?". In the same chapter Fist of Love Sanji is the one who gets surprised and questions why Garp was able to do that (ironically he already did the same thing (visually) in Skypiea and witnessed Nami doing that many times).

That's why it seems like a gag and not a "real" damage. Unless there is a big incoherence on Oda's part.

True, but there are other similar inconsistencies, like how people only occasionally react to Chopper and Brook being monsters. Besides, this is a world where people don't really question one another. Nami had several arcs and all the time spent traveling inbetween to ask Sanji to follow up on his heritage, but somehow didn't even though his mentioning of it was still fresh in her mind after the timeskip. Nami doing damage to Luffy could just as easily be something no one thought was worthy of comment, like many other things.

But yeah, I agree that things happen that don't really 'happen' for the sake of humor.

It's just when it comes to actually trying to figure out which is which, people seem to just write anything they dislike off as a gag. Like, the love thing. We know love has the power to bring the inanimate to life. Why not also overcome devil fruit powers? Besides, this would imply that Garp is using Haki when he hits Luffy. As in, he's seriously out to hurt his grandson for frivolous reasons. Is that not a big out of character? Or if it is a gag, then why are people commenting on Garp being able to hurt him?

The line between OP reality and OP gag reality is constantly blurred it seems to me, so it's curious how people write off one thing as 'clearly' a gag, when I don't feel it's clear at all.

True, but there are other similar inconsistencies, like how people only occasionally react to Chopper and Brook being monsters. Besides, this is a world where people don't really question one another. Nami had several arcs and all the time spent traveling inbetween to ask Sanji to follow up on his heritage, but somehow didn't even though his mentioning of it was still fresh in her mind after the timeskip. Nami doing damage to Luffy could just as easily be something no one thought was worthy of comment, like many other things.

I agree. I'm not saying it's not possible just saying it is likely a gag. I can be wrong. But even Oda likes to troll a lot in the SBS so maybe Garp's is indeed using haki and he just tought it was funny to call fist of love because that would make the relationship between Garp and Luffy more lightly. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Nami loves Luffy, at least as a dear friend.

Last time I took Oda's SBS explanation seriously I thought Sanji's eyebrows were curled by him, but now it seems that his brothers all have that so that was probably inaccurate. lol

If jokes are too clear or well telegraphed then they are often not funny. There is no gap between expectation and delivery. Especially the sort of visual humour in One Piece where Oda shows us something we don't really expect. One thing about the manga is that there is always a tension between wanting to see characters do something really awesome and wanting them to do something funny. You see that in a moment that you expect Oda to take most seriously like the gear 4 reveal where he does both at once.

A character like Sanji is actually tough because there is only so much you can do to make him have that tension. When he is serious he needs to act all cool, which is why people respond him I guess. I'd like to see Oda break that down in this arc and have Sanji win in a more comedic way.

Veelk

Banned
The flipside of that is where I am, where Oda is so random with his humor, so wild with his possibilities, I have no expectations set, and therefore I find almost nothing funny in this manga. Like, I had no reason to not expect Luffy's Gear 4th not to look stupid, so while I didn't expect that specific design, I did expect something that is utterly unconforming to traditional coolness and to make no sense, and I got exactly that.

Oda's usually lucky to get a smirk out of me, and the one thing I actually did openly laugh at in One Piece is something I wasn't supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom