• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this mom discussion brought up fairly often here. Does anyone have their ear to the ground on what the japanese thoughts on this are? By which I mean, not the theories, but if there is an active curiosity about the mothers as well.

The younger a character is = no parents to shackle them down and stop their adventures.

Manga/anime leads tend to be very young.

Fathers tend to survive more because naturally a father can up and abandon their child at any time. This is why most anime dads are seen as mysterious adventurers while dead moms get revered.

There is this talk about this picture from Film Gold poster:

tumblr_inline_o9fjji4cly1t8467d_540.jpg

The Jack has curly eyebrows and kinda resemble the clock-beard guy we saw in that chapter about the Reverie (the mustache is identical). If he is Mr. Vinsmoke, Sanji's eyebrows goes in the same direction, so maybe he is the one who looks like his father the most?

Interesting, could be a thing.

I still think the (woman?) person next to clockbeard on his left looks more like a Vinsmoke. Plus her eyebrows are conveniently covered up. At the same time it would make more sense for the patriarch of the family to be at the Reverie, and it is a patriarch given that Sanji's Father has been the only one mentioned to be behind the strings as opposed to a potential mother.

Also a reminder about this theory:

Remember how the Vinsmokes are top tier in the underworld? Remember when we saw a sneak peak at a bunch of underworld players?

p4tuM2p.png

Notice how in every panel this guy is in, the Wine (Vin) is always before the smoke from his cigar. Read right to left, "Vinsmoke". It's fucking Oda so anything is possible, but this dude could potentially be Sanji's father, or someone high up in the family given the luxurious surroundings.

Syntsui

Remember how the Vinsmokes are top tier in the underworld? Remember when we saw a sneak peak at a bunch of underworld players?

p4tuM2p.png

Notice how in every panel this guy is in, the Wine (Vin) is always before the smoke from his cigar. Read right to left, "Vinsmoke". It's fucking Oda so anything is possible, but this dude could potentially be Sanji's father, or someone high up in the family given the luxurious surroundings.

GOOOOOOODA indeed. Wow.

p4tuM2p.png

Yeah, it's a possible hint.

ckohler

That new opening..ew

Nice to see Carrot animated at least.

9cnDxq1.jpg

No way that adorable face is a traitor. :p

As for the opening overall, it has moments of absolutely atrocious animation and really great animation. Kinda unfortunate. The first half is pretty forgettable in both song and action as it's pretty much the same stuff we've seen the Straw Hats doing in other, better openings like roughhousing, running, etc. The music gets better during the Kaido fight (which I assume is made up?) and gets much better once elements of the Zou arc are revealed.

Overall, one of the weaker OPs, mostly due to the phoned-in first 60 seconds.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nami's mom and adoptive mom are dead, Usopp's mom is dead, Robin's mom is dead, Brook's mom is dead, Franky's mom is dead, Vivi's mom is dead, Ace's mom is dead, Shirahoshi's mom is dead, Law's mom is dead, Doflamingo's mom is dead, Rebecca's mom is dead,... Nearly all moms are dead.

Unconfirmed: Luffy's, Zoro's, Sanji's and Chopper's (I understand why she didn't love him) moms.

The only confirmed mom alive in One Piece, are Big Mom, and Sabo's mom.

There's a high probability of her being dead unfortunately.
Do they ever mention Robin's father? I forget if they do.

Olvia was a super cool character.

latest

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is that even a real ship???
Wow
This is the internet, of course it is.

The internet is like The Grand Line of society. Expect the worst, degenerates run free, pirates rule its waters.

Veelk

Banned
The younger a character is = no parents to shackle them down and stop their adventures.

Manga/anime leads tend to be very young.

Fathers tend to survive more because naturally a father can up and abandon their child at any time. This is why most anime dads are seen as mysterious adventurers while dead moms get revered.

I know. I wrote out a bit about how parents with a penis get special priveledges about being able to abandon their parental responsibilities while mothers are somehow obligated to stay at home, or barring that, die so their kids can go on adventures. But it was very bitter and sarcastic, so I decided to delete it.

But that's my point here. Is there a call in japan being made to break this stereotype? Like there seems to be here.

I know. I wrote out a bit about how parents with a penis get special priveledges about being able to abandon their parental responsibilities while mothers are somehow obligated to stay at home, or barring that, die so their kids can go on adventures. But it was very bitter and sarcastic, so I decided to delete it.

But that's my point here. Is there a call in japan being made to break this stereotype? Like there seems to be here.

Wouldn't know. Japan can be pretty old school and to be honest, it's a dynamic that exists EVERYWHERE, so I don't see it going away.

"No parents" or "Both parents dead" seems to be the alternative.

Veelk

Banned
Wouldn't know. Japan can be pretty old school and to be honest, it's a dynamic that exists EVERYWHERE, so I don't see it going away.

"No parents" or "Both parents dead" seems to be the alternative.

I feel that's an overly cynical way of looking at things. The west has it's own issues with this stuff, but I also feel there is a large shift happening. When IP's as large and influential as Star Wars are successfully breaking gender norms, it doesn't really matter whether your in the east or west, people notice it and probably want to replicate it.

If I knew how to speak Japanese, I'd go out and verify it, but since I don't, I'm not sure how to get a bead on the geek culture over there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to that?

I feel that's an overly cynical way of looking at things. The west has it's own issues with this stuff, but I also feel there is a large shift happening. When IP's as large and influential as Star Wars are successfully breaking gender norms, it doesn't really matter whether your in the east or west, people notice it and probably want to replicate it.

If I knew how to speak Japanese, I'd go out and verify it, but since I don't, I'm not sure how to get a bead on the geek culture over there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to that?

If by "breaking gender norms" you're referring to action properties with women at the lead, I think Japan has a decent amount. You're not liable to find them in Shounen Jump however, because it's marketed to teenage boys (few exceptions here and there).

I was talking more of the parental dynamic, which has been so codified by Disney and assorted fairy tales that it set the standards for both the U.S and Japan. Western animation is currently exclusively comedy based, and as such is comfortable with the sitcom style "dad is an idiot, mom is smart but can be a nagging worrywart" made popular by The Simpsons. The most popular cartoons (from what I see) are Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe. The parents in GF are headless and nameless Peanuts style offscreen parents. Finn in AT actually has a dead mother and an absent adventurer father, but Finn's dad is a terrible person for doing so. And in Steven Universe (arguably the MOST popular at the moment) has a lovable goof father and a mother who is not only dead, but practically deified by the main cast.

Veelk

Banned
If by "breaking gender norms" you're referring to action properties with women at the lead, I think Japan has a decent amount. You're not liable to find them in Shounen Jump however, because it's marketed to teenage boys (few exceptions here and there).

I was talking more of the parental dynamic, which has been so codified by Disney and assorted fairy tales that it set the standards for both the U.S and Japan. Western animation is currently exclusively comedy based, and as such is comfortable with the sitcom style "dad is an idiot, mom is smart but can be a nagging worrywart" made popular by The Simpsons. The most popular cartoons (from what I see) are Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe. The parents in GF are headless and nameless Peanuts style offscreen parents. Finn in AT actually has a dead mother and an absent adventurer father, but Finn's dad is a terrible person for doing so. And in Steven Universe (arguably the MOST popular at the moment) has a lovable goof father and a mother who is not only dead, but practically deified by the main cast.

I meant breaking gender norms in the sense of breaking any and all gender norms, and that includes the "Mother either dies or just isn't part of the scene" trope. This one is one of the few that's less noticed because people generally want young heroes anyway and, like you said, active older characters are typically male. I know atleast one exception to this, though it's a book and it's not out yet, merely announced, wherein a mother is going to go out on her own adventure and do shit. I still feel the "It's for teenage boys" is a weak and lazy logical framework to argue for why it shouldn't happen in shonen though.

That does remind me that I need to watch Steven Universe though.

I will say this though. Even though I don't think Big Mom is a great character or anything, I do like that we finally have a powerful female that is actually aggressive and active. She hasn't had a big fight yet, and I am going to fucking rage if Oda contrives some excuse on why she and Luffy don't go all out against each other, but for now, I like that her gender doesn't stop her from being as stupid and aggressive and powerful and active as anyone else in this cast. It's too bad that her monsterous design may have been necessary to allow those things to come to be, but for now, Big Mom seems like she's finally the first female character ever to be active in the hostile world of OP as any of the male characters. And her being a mother doesn't stop her from maintaining authority and activity in the world. It's a good thing.

El Sabroso

p4tuM2p.png

mostly possible isn't Sanji's father, he even is voiced with a young voice and seems young in anime, but could be another character related to the Vinsmoke family tho

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
mostly possible isn't Sanji's father, he even is voiced with a young voice and seems young in anime, but could be another character related to the Vinsmoke family tho
I wouldn't put any stock into the anime's version of the underground broker scenes. They didn't even realize one of them was Lucci.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We're in some deep Alice in Wonderland territory here folks. Surreal imagery and things not making sense. Keep your wits about you.

... In two weeks. *sighs*

If you still had any doubts for whatever reason this arc wasn't Alice in wonderland one piece style this chapter ought to fix that.

Is Carrot display observation haki there!? Heh next strawhat indeed. Brook and Pedro are do getting caught

Yeah Carrot must have some Haki.

Also interesting that the one dude foreshadowed from Big Mom's crew is also a rabbit. Maybe they have a connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom