• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
THE TOP HAT CROCODILE LOL

Luigi87

That crocodile, followed by Nami's reaction, and Luffy's response was perfect.

This chapter was crazy and I loved it and DAMMIT WHY ANOTHER BREAK D=

marmoka

Banned
Honestly, the chapter was weird.

I hope this arc looks like Thriller Bark. Slow start, absurd humour, funny and weird at the beginning, but meh. And finally more absurd humour, funny, weird and great arc overall.

I really enjoyed Thriller Bark and all the WTF moments it had.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah this does remind me of TB a bit, especially with the humor and the antics.

LOL at the crocodile and giant bit.

4Kids Sanji looks good.

I'm probably overthinking but I think Sanji's shirt looks suspicious this chapter. It's different from the one he was wearing before. Looks too feminine? Reminds me of Pudding's blouse with those flounces.

Yeah the Crocodile reaction made the chapter.

This arc has gone full trippy fairy tail. People mentioning Thriller Bark as a comparison are right but this seems much more twisted. Carrot also is likely to have Observation Haki as someone pointed outis she waa able to dosge an attack that fast.

By the way, what real life xountdo yoi think Whole Cake Island is based on?

lol I was pretty convinced the next few chapters were gonna be not stop awesomeness, but I guess I was wrong. The chapter wasn't terrible, but it was definitely boring, and pretty confusing too. I'm sure the next chapter we'll get some info on why the hells going on in this forest, but unfortunately that's 2 weeks from now, which kind of made this chapter even worse for me.

lol I was pretty convinced the next few chapters were gonna be not stop awesomeness, but I guess I was wrong. The chapter wasn't terrible, but it was definitely boring, and pretty confusing too. I'm sure the next chapter we'll get some info on why the hells going on in this forest, but unfortunately that's 2 weeks from now, which kind of made this chapter even worse for me.

Also my thoughts.

There's a very very long list of questions I have and this chapter answered none of them.

All we learned is that potentially Pudding is fucking with the crew, and that Brook is now out of the picture. WOOOOOOW.

GhostBed

Lots of questions after that chapter. Really happy we'll be getting some time to just hang out and explore the island and its many nuances, I felt we were jumping from island to island a bit too fast.

Pretty bummed that Brooke's pairing up with Pedro. I'm sure that'll make for some fun buddy adventures between the two, but I really like when Brooke just hangs with the crew.

All these new characters are looking straight up nuts. I need to see that dude who likes being buried again, lmao. That was hilarious. Same to the alligator.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
fi2lJq9.png

4kids Sanji finally canonical.

I don't understand some of you. Maybe it's because I re-read One Piece usually but I don't really care how slow a chapter is. I thought this chapter was hilarious and interesting too. This arc has been moving at a blistering pace so I don't think we'll be in the forest long. And I don't really see a comparison to TB besides the fact they're in a forest.

Surprised some of you are calling this chapter boring.
These are some of my favorite types of One Piece chapters. Mysterious adventures into an unknown place with wacky creatures and events.

-The large talking alligator (which led to TWO great tongue-in-cheek joke)
-The giant buried in the ground
- The Sanji look-alike that only some of the group can see
- That rabbit on a swan that we saw a few chapters ago appears again
- The mirror Luffy
- The creepy plants and trees trapping them in the woods.

Absolutely fun stuff.

i'm not feeling it because we already had an enchanted forrest theme within thriller bark.
You're confusing a haunted, spooky forest with an enchanted, magical forest.

Thriller Bark is every scary movie trope on steroids.

Whole Cake Island is Wonderland, Oz, and Willy Wonka on steroids.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Agreed, some of the best moments come from the weird stuff they come across.
This chapter was loaded with it.

I do like to think that Sanji holding a lollipop was a subtle nod to the awful 4Kids dub

Veelk

Banned
Okay, this is a bit weird for me, but...I'm actually into the aesthetic here.

I usually don't like One Piece's cartoonish design. However, this being alice in wonderland themed, something that's deliberately dreamy, so the cartoonish aesthetic here makes much more sense. Things like the crocodile, which would usually have me rolling my eyes, fit here better. Things don't have to make sense in a dream landscape. Combine that with Big Mom not letting her gender hold her back from being a badass and leader (so far....), I'm surprisingly enjoying these first few chapters more than I typically do. I even like the designs of the characters. The rabbit looks cool. I also want to see the swordswoman with the wide brim hat. The only real complaint I have is the Straw Hats themselves, but there's little to be done about that.

I'm being cautiously.... very cautiously....optimistic about this arc. Just based on the opening so far.

It's because of the fast pace up until this point that this chapter felt off to me. I was enjoying how each chapter really gave us something new, and this one feels like things have ground to a halt. There's nothing particularly offensive about it in isolation, and I know there's a lot of setup going on here, but its relative slowness stings after the rapid succession of the last few chapters.

Doesn't help that it's setting up some relatively boring and tried tropes: illusions and mirror matches. The "wow the land is made of candy" over and over also feels like a retread from the first Totland chapters, and really more of a retread of Skypiea than anything, with its "wow everything's made of clouds."

Just not feelin it! I'm sure it'll pick up.

My advice is to try to avoid judging things in microsegments. It's what I do. It's always more about how everything comes together as a whole for me, so trying to rate a story chapter by chapter just seems wierd to me. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely an art and pacing to it, all the more because we get them on a weekly basis, but in my mind, I always just try to integrate the new chapter into the ongoing story and see how I feel about the entire thing thus far, rather than looking at them in isolation.

I don't disagree with you, this chapter is more slow. I wanted to see what Big Mom would do myself. But since everything was super fast before, for the sake of pacing, a little slowdown may be good.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't understand some of you. Maybe it's because I re-read One Piece usually but I don't really care how slow a chapter is. I thought this chapter was hilarious and interesting too. This arc has been moving at a blistering pace so I don't think we'll be in the forest long. And I don't really see a comparison to TB besides the fact they're in a forest.

It's because of the fast pace up until this point that this chapter felt off to me. I was enjoying how each chapter really gave us something new, and this one feels like things have ground to a halt. There's nothing particularly offensive about it in isolation, and I know there's a lot of setup going on here, but its relative slowness stings after the rapid succession of the last few chapters.

Doesn't help that it's setting up some relatively boring and tried tropes: illusions and mirror matches. The "wow the land is made of candy" over and over also feels like a retread from the first Totland chapters, and really more of a retread of Skypiea than anything, with its "wow everything's made of clouds."

Just not feelin it! I'm sure it'll pick up.

I said it the moment they got to totland that this arc was giving me a thriller bark vibe. Which means I imagine so many people won't like it, I guarantee. It's going to be weird like really weird. It's going to be upbeat but at the same time pretty damn dark when you look at it. There's going to be a long flashback sooner or later(sanji). And I'll be loving every minute(thriller bark is my fav arc)

Veelk

Banned
I said it the moment they got to totland that this arc was giving me a thriller bark vibe. Which means I imagine so many people won't like it, I guarantee. It's going to be weird like really weird. It's going to be upbeat but at the same time pretty damn dark when you look at it. There's going to be a long flashback sooner or later(sanji). And I'll be loving every minute(thriller bark is my fav arc)

I also draw the connection to TB. The Nightmare Before Christmas aesthetic was really cool at first and also something I thought fit OP better than most other art styles, but it eventually got old and painful to look at for some reason. But I had that reaction to NBC itself as well, so maybe it's an art style I can only take in small doses.

I hope Totland doesn't end up like that. I like Alice in Wonderland a lot and I don't get sick of it's art style, so hopefully OP won't wear out its welcome with me like TB did.

I also draw the connection to TB. The Nightmare Before Christmas aesthetic was really cool at first and also something I thought fit OP better than most other art styles, but it eventually got old and painful to look at for some reason. But I had that reaction to NBC itself as well, so maybe it's an art style I can only take in small doses.

I hope Totland doesn't end up like that. I like Alice in Wonderland a lot and I don't get sick of it's art style, so hopefully OP won't wear out its welcome with me like TB did.
Thats actually a nice comparison of thriller bark the nightmare before Christmas nice hadn't made that connection.

The thing here that might be good is that there seems to be a blend like oda just seems to be blending all those weird,fairytail stories together. So at one point like totland were feeling Charlie and the chocolate factory, throw in some Alice in wonderland with a sprinkle of Oz. Mashup some sanji back story,the poneglyph,fights, we may be in for a treat. The pacing has been brilliant as well the fact they're at whole cake island already boggles the mind I was sure oda would make them have to stop 2 or 3 times.

This cover story must be almost finished as it looks like it's focusing on people who are more friendly with the crew. The only people that I can think of that haven't appeared yet are Hancock, Coby, Helmeppo, Garp, and (maybe?) G5/the kids from Punk Hazard.

I'm thinking that the next one will be about Nekomamushi looking for Marco, since I don't see that getting any flashback, unlike Zoro's group in Wano.

Red Fire

I think the next cover story will be about someone from punk hazard, it's too soon for the minks. Might be monet/vergo or brownbeard or the kids

Syntsui

The chapter was kind of underwhelming, but this mirror effect used against Luffy is broken as fuck. Such an interesting way to block his advance.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Punk Hazard isn't getting a cover story because everyone is either dead or with Smoker.

Senior Pink seems the most obvious for a cover story since the manga set up his plot line quite nicely for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom